PDA

View Full Version : "Tribute" Tour with Dave, Al and Satch

Pages : [1] 2

Von Halen
04-19-2022, 09:03 AM
Nobody has posted about this?

Jason Newsted blew the lid off this bullshit idea, by publicly admitting he declined the offer to join this farce, because he felt it is nothing more than a money grab. Now Satch is admitting it is in the plans, and they have been working on it for a year. He seemed a little irritated Newsted didn't keep the secret.

You couldn't pay me enough to go see this. I cannot even believe Al would consider this. I hope Wolfgang rakes these fuckers over the coals for this bullshit.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/joe-satriani-van-halen-tribute-tour/

twonabomber
04-19-2022, 09:44 AM
Saw this yesterday:

The Van Halen News Desk reached out to David Lee Roth about the new rumors. We've got an exclusive quote from him here:

"In my mind "Van Halen 4K," in the age of covid is going to require two of us for every position. Satriani and Luakather, Anthony and Newsted, Al or Tommy Lee. Probably the only one who could do my job today would be Pink."

https://www.vhnd.com/2022/04/18/exclusive-rumored-van-halen-celebration-tour/?fbclid=IwAR3wYD5Skuz0f70gxnYGZJ5qYTcCSKGAfK9zh-1c2MVQl2le5DJY7O6rVxQ

twonabomber
04-19-2022, 09:48 AM
UCR has the VHND blurb too

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/david-lee-roth-van-halen-tribute-tour/

Vinnie Velvet
04-19-2022, 11:53 AM
Not surprised Alex wants to do this. I mean old 'heritage' bands are still out there with barely their original members.

KISS have had two scabs dressed as Ace and Peter for years.
Journey has that Filipino for their singer.
Judas Priest now have none of their original guitar players - the two guys who created the Priest sound (Tipton getting on stage strumming to Breaking the Law for an encore doesn't count)
Queen has been "Queen +..." for many years with whomever they have as singer and doing it without John Deacon.

And having said that I dont like ANY of these examples but bands do it.

And now Al wants to. Oh well.

Kristy
04-19-2022, 12:02 PM
It's easy money and you don't have to do much to work for it. All you have to do is be on a stage somewhere and look good.

Just like any politician.

Which is why there is no difference between the two

FORD
04-19-2022, 12:24 PM
The only thing interesting about this story is that it will give Hagar something new to bitch about. Satch would rather do this than make another Chickenshit record.

Seshmeister
04-19-2022, 01:51 PM
There was a version of the story going around where Hagar was involved.

It would make a bit more sense if Michael Anthony was in.

Seshmeister
04-19-2022, 01:52 PM
The only thing interesting about this story is that it will give Hagar something new to bitch about. Satch would rather do this than make another Chickenshit record.

Which can't take long - the songs sound as though they were all written in a morning.

Vinnie Velvet
04-19-2022, 03:45 PM
There was a version of the story going around where Hagar was involved.

It would make a bit more sense if Michael Anthony was in.

That must be from a quote from Satriani saying how it would be a daunting task to learn all of Ed's parts from all eras. Not necessarily confirming all eras would be represented.

No mention from Dave or Al that they were covering everything.

I am 100% sure Hagar is not involved. Alex would make sure of that.

Von Halen
04-19-2022, 03:52 PM
I agree with Vinnie. Satch said something about covering all the eras, but nothing about Clichegar being involved. I doubt Satch or Al would want him. If they did, they'd have called Mike instead of Newsted. Hell, Cherbone could handle the Clichegar era. Or maybe they could get some guy off Youtube and pay him very little!

I am not at all a fan of this "Tribute Tour" idea and would have zero interest in going to see it.

Seriously, didn't Dave already do the VH tribute tour in 2002? :D

Vinnie Velvet
04-19-2022, 03:59 PM
I agree with Vinnie. Satch said something about covering all the eras, but nothing about Clichegar being involved. I doubt Satch or Al would want him. If they did, they'd have called Mike instead of Newsted. Hell, Cherbone could handle the Clichegar era. Or maybe they could get some guy off Youtube and pay him very little!

I am not at all a fan of this "Tribute Tour" idea and would have zero interest in going to see it.

Seriously, didn't Dave already do the VH tribute tour in 2002? :D

LOL

Judging from Dave's comment on this it seems Mike has been approached or at least Dave wishes the bass player be him.

While at the other end Alex wanted Jason Newstead as there seems to still be some hard feelings towards Mike or due to his continued bromance with Spammy.

But Newstead nixed the whole thing and is not doing it. So Dave and Al have to decide which way they want to go.

Vinnie Velvet
04-19-2022, 04:09 PM
If Mike were to join, I have to say A DLR-AVH-MA-Satch lineup would do big business at the concert box office.

Billed the right way of course.

Which means new merchandise money to be made. Not only current tour shirts but new vintage VH shirts with the old band on them; Eddie-only shirts and so on.

And before everyone craps on Dave for his current vocal limitations, his last jaunt with KISS was pretty good. Passable. No doubt with Mike backing him up it will help him out a lot more.

Von Halen
04-19-2022, 04:31 PM
Mike won't do it without Clichegar.

Rikk
04-19-2022, 06:28 PM
I really don't find this idea offensive. I don't think anyone can play like Eddie. My 8-year-old would kill to see Dave sing those songs for the first time in her life. If I could take her to see a band with Alex on drums & Dave singing, and if the guitar were played well...if she had a good time, I'd go. Would it be Van Halen, not for a fucking second. Would I go see it without my 8-year-old who just wants to see/hear Dave singing those songs? Fuck, no. But it's not the most offensive idea I've ever heard.

Clearly, they should have Mike on bass...but it sounds like there's a lot of bad blood still.

And I loved the 2007-2015 line-up...but nobody better tell me they can't do it without Wolfgang. I think his solo stuff mostly sucks...and I'd certainly be more likely to take my daughter to this if Mike were there.

NOW...am I super-excited by this idea? Hell, no. I've been sadly thinking of Van Halen as dead and gone for the past year and a half...same way I think of Soundgarden (another of my favorite bands) as dead and gone.

But would this be a bad show? I don't think so.

(...but if Hagar were there too...I'd have to think twice...I showed my daughter a bunch of classic Van Halen vids on YouTube and then out of curiosity showed her a Van Hagar video and she, true story, said, "That guy looks like a big, dancing tomato...I don't like his voice!")

Kristy
04-19-2022, 06:32 PM
And before everyone craps on Dave for his current vocal limitations, his last jaunt with KISS was pretty good. Passable. No doubt with Mike backing him up it will help him out a lot more.

If this came to Denvoid, I would definitely go only to see Al play more than the rest of the line up. If S P A M M Y for some reason decided to crash the party then I hope this tour fails flat on its face. Dave should do this. I can handle his singing if Al can. I'm thinking maybe a 20-30 major city tour over the summer with short breaks throw in. Most areas would possibly be outdoors in smaller venues in the summer so COVID should not that big of a concern and Dave really owes this to his die hard of his die hardest fans for dissing them the way he did.

Nickdfresh
04-19-2022, 07:29 PM
I really don't find this idea offensive. I don't think anyone can play like Eddie. My 8-year-old would kill to see Dave sing those songs for the first time in her life. If I could take her to see a band with Alex on drums & Dave singing, and if the guitar were played well...if she had a good time, I'd go. Would it be Van Halen, not for a fucking second. Would I go see it without my 8-year-old who just wants to see/hear Dave singing those songs? Fuck, no. But it's not the most offensive idea I've ever heard....

I think Joe Satriani is closer to Ed in tone than Steve Vai ever was, but even still and as good as Satch is there will be something missing...

I might try to catch Satch on tour in any case...

FORD
04-20-2022, 01:47 AM
Maybe they should get Vito Bratta on guitar? And if they can't get Sobolewski on bass, Vito knows a guy who already worked with Dave.

Terry
04-20-2022, 05:53 AM
I could see maybe a one-off type show, in California...an arena in the Los Angeles area or something, because that area is basically where Ed lived all his life, and I'd imagine most people associate Van Halen as being a California band.

You do a single show with a bunch of guest musicians. Something along the lines of what Queen did in Wembley a year after Freddie died. A long show. Maybe have Alex and Mike Anthony as the core of the band, and have various guitarists essaying different tunes. Dave can do several tunes. Hagar can do several tunes. Maybe get some other singers doing other tunes.

Something like that could be done and have a degree of taste to it.

I mean, the idea of Alex and Dave hitting the road and touring with a bass player who was never in Van Halen when Eddie was alive and whoever on guitar...to me, that's not a tribute to Ed. That's a farce. What is left of Van Halen can do what they like and people are free to see it, but if it comes to that scenario that Newstead and Satriani described, I won't even be interested in seeing clips of it.

Ed is gone. Van Halen, as a live entity or in terms of new music, is over. End of story.

Von Halen
04-20-2022, 08:19 AM
Maybe they should get Vito Bratta on guitar? And if they can't get Sobolewski on bass, Vito knows a guy who already worked with Dave.

Vito Bratta is missing in action for the most part. Doubt he'd have any interest. He's probably killing it in real estate right now.

James is back in Megadeth now. I doubt he's going to give that up to tour with DLR again.

Von Halen
04-20-2022, 08:27 AM
I find this idea to be totally offensive.

I'd rather go see some of that weird shit Kristy listens to, than go see this bullshit.

I hope to fuck Clichegar is involved. This fraudulant bullshit is right up his alley. I hope Mike refuses to play on the CVH portion, tells them he will only play on the Van Hagar era, and tells them to get Wolfgang, or someone else to do the CVH era.

Better yet, I hope Clichegar and Mike put together their own VH Tribute tour, and get some Dave sound alike to do Dave's portion. Lord knows they'd be better than Dave these days, and probably 1/4 as weird.

Vinnie Velvet
04-20-2022, 09:57 AM
The thing is, whether we like it or not, this is very likely to happen and almost did based on what Newstead/Satch reported.

I'm not surprised Alex wants to do this tribute tour. The market dictates this. And the market dictates that people will go see a show like this. Much the same way the masses go see Queen +.... or Judas Priest with no KK or Tipton or KISS with Fake Frehley and Fake Peter.

Its just the way it is.

We will say Dave will struggle singing blah blah blah. Guess what. The masses wont care. Dave will get help from backing tapes or whomever will be singing backup vox.

Paul Stanley croaks his way through a set and is assisted with tapes. Yeah it sucks and yeah its fake as fuck but guess what? KISS still packed arenas. Go figure.

Von Halen
04-20-2022, 10:30 AM
Paul Stanley croaks his way through a set and is assisted with tapes. Yeah it sucks and yeah its fake as fuck but guess what? KISS still packed arenas. Go figure.

I first saw Kiss in 1977. I last saw Kiss on the Psycho Circus tour. I have NEVER seen them with an imposter. Never will.

Alex must need the money.

I do not believe this will sell that good, unless maybe they package it with another fraudulant incarnation of a band. Like "Foreigner".

Also, these tours with fake members work because the fake members fall in line. Even as weird as Gene Simmons is, he couldn't put up with the weirdness that is Dave, these days.

I'd rather go see a fucking hologram tour with a hologram of Ed and a hologram of Dave. Piping vocals in to a hologram would be better than seeing it done to todays version of Dave.

Vinnie Velvet
04-20-2022, 10:43 AM
I told my teenage son about the possibility of this "VH" tour and he said he would love to see it cause he didn't get to see VH when Ed was still alive.

There is an entire generation who will buy the shirts and other merch and go see this show. Again, whether we like it or not.

I heard Styx is coming to my town but I refuse to go see them without Dennis DeYoung. No disrespect to Gowan but sorry it aint Styx without Dennis.

But then again, Styx won't care about me. Crowds will still go see their show.

Von Halen
04-20-2022, 11:22 AM
The VHT Tour.

Can't wait.

I'll go see it if they play Red Rocks and Kristy meets me there.

Von Halen
04-20-2022, 11:38 AM
I told my teenage son about the possibility of this "VH" tour and he said he would love to see it cause he didn't get to see VH when Ed was still alive.

Do your Son a favor and sit him down in front of the TV with the Largo show. With the South America shows. With the US Festival show. Tell him he's never going to see that live. Sometimes we have to save people from themselves. Do not let him go and tarnish the memories of those above listed shows.

Nitro Express
04-20-2022, 12:29 PM
Noel Monk said Van Halen ended in 1984. That Van Hagar thing was more of a pop act. I agree. Dreams and What Love Can Do ain't Van Halen but it was ahead of it's time. Van Hagar had a transgender singer way before the whole LGBTQ+++ thing became a thing. San Fransisco Sam brought the Castro District to the rest of the world. Sammy was a bigger ambassador of gayness than Richard Simmons ever was.

Nitro Express
04-20-2022, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't expect Alex to play with anyone. Him and Ed were extremely close not just as brothers but as jamming buddies. I think it would be very painful for him to try and drum. I know Alex Lifeson couldn't play when Neil Peart passed away and that's a friend. I can't imagine getting behind the kit when you lost your brother you used to play with. It would be hard to do alone at 5150 and many more times so in a public setting. I could see him maybe doing a sit in with Wolfgang but touring with a band? I think that's over with.

Nitro Express
04-20-2022, 12:39 PM
The thing is, whether we like it or not, this is very likely to happen and almost did based on what Newstead/Satch reported.

I'm not surprised Alex wants to do this tribute tour. The market dictates this. And the market dictates that people will go see a show like this. Much the same way the masses go see Queen +.... or Judas Priest with no KK or Tipton or KISS with Fake Frehley and Fake Peter.

Its just the way it is.

We will say Dave will struggle singing blah blah blah. Guess what. The masses wont care. Dave will get help from backing tapes or whomever will be singing backup vox.

Dave isn't going to cheat it. It's not in his nature. If Dave isn't on tour or making music he's pretty private. You never know what that guy is up to until he announces something. COVID kind of pissed on his parade.

Vinnie Velvet
04-20-2022, 12:47 PM
Do your Son a favor and sit him down in front of the TV with the Largo show. With the South America shows. With the US Festival show. Tell him he's never going to see that live. Sometimes we have to save people from themselves. Do not let him go and tarnish the memories of those above listed shows.

He's seen all of that stuff believe me many many times. Heck hes heard the music when he was in the womb. Lol

But hey that's what he said. And his old man telling him it wont be like those old videos probably won't change his mind. Oh well.

Nitro Express
04-20-2022, 12:55 PM
My dad dragged me to see The Glenn Miller Band. My dad was a clarinet and sax player and he played big band stuff. Here kid, I will show you some real musicians. Anyways after the show my dad was complaining it wasn't the same as the old days. It was an inferior copy.

Trying to redo Van Halen would be a similar pooch screw. You aren't going to recreate the late 70's and early 80's in 2022. It's impossible and who's kidding who.

Vinnie Velvet
04-20-2022, 01:00 PM
My dad dragged me to see The Glenn Miller Band. My dad was a clarinet and sax player and he played big band stuff. Here kid, I will show you some real musicians. Anyways after the show my dad was complaining it wasn't the same as the old days. It was an inferior copy.

Trying to redo Van Halen would be a similar pooch screw. You aren't going to recreate the late 70's and early 80's in 2022. It's impossible and who's kidding who.

Very true.

But I don't think thats what Al and Dave want to do.

They want to go back out, play the music on a larger scale. Add footage of Ed on the jumbo screen, etc. Play it off as a tribute while selling more VH shirts.

Thats about it.

Von Halen
04-20-2022, 01:08 PM
Dave isn't going to cheat it. It's not in his nature.

Uh, Dave had vocals piped in on his most recent Vegas gigs. VH had vocals piped in in 2007.

Terry
04-20-2022, 01:19 PM

There is an entire generation who will buy the shirts and other merch and go see this show. Again, whether we like it or not.

I heard Styx is coming to my town but I refuse to go see them without Dennis DeYoung. No disrespect to Gowan but sorry it aint Styx without Dennis.

But then again, Styx won't care about me. Crowds will still go see their show.

Yeah, but if you didn't see whatever lineup variation of Van Halen when Eddie was alive, well, sorry, but you missed it forever.

Doubtless an Eddie-less Van Halen would stand a better than chance than not of being a crowd-draw as a live undertaking. At this point, if Hagar or Dave and Alex and Mike Anthony and Satriani or Wolfgang or whatever permutation wanna hit the road under the name Van Halen...whatever. I'm too old to even get slightly perturbed over the 'desecration' of Van Halen's 'legacy': it's only rock and roll.

As you mentioned, KISS still warbles along with Stanley barely able to sing and backing tapes galore onstage. People still pay money to see it (hell, I paid money to see it not too long ago!). Again, as you mentioned, look at Styx. Who do they have left in the band from when they were at their commercial zenith? Young and Shaw? Somebody said Foreigner was coming to town recently. If memory serves, all that's left of THAT band when they were at their zenith was Mick Jones, and apparently he doesn't perform with the band every night but whenever his health allows. Rolling Stones: Charlie Watts dead, band still fills stadiums.

I've seen more than a few tribute bands in my time. For the most part, I wasn't paying premium ticket prices to see them, and that's what more and more of these old rock acts are these days. Tribute bands with the authenticity factor of one or two members from when the band was in their prime.

But, as you say, crowds will still go to see them.

Vinnie Velvet
04-20-2022, 02:10 PM
Yeah, but if you didn't see whatever lineup variation of Van Halen when Eddie was alive, well, sorry, but you missed it forever.

Doubtless an Eddie-less Van Halen would stand a better than chance than not of being a crowd-draw as a live undertaking. At this point, if Hagar or Dave and Alex and Mike Anthony and Satriani or Wolfgang or whatever permutation wanna hit the road under the name Van Halen...whatever. I'm too old to even get slightly perturbed over the 'desecration' of Van Halen's 'legacy': it's only rock and roll.

As you mentioned, KISS still warbles along with Stanley barely able to sing and backing tapes galore onstage. People still pay money to see it (hell, I paid money to see it not too long ago!). Again, as you mentioned, look at Styx. Who do they have left in the band from when they were at their commercial zenith? Young and Shaw? Somebody said Foreigner was coming to town recently. If memory serves, all that's left of THAT band when they were at their zenith was Mick Jones, and apparently he doesn't perform with the band every night but whenever his health allows. Rolling Stones: Charlie Watts dead, band still fills stadiums.

I've seen more than a few tribute bands in my time. For the most part, I wasn't paying premium ticket prices to see them, and that's what more and more of these old rock acts are these days. Tribute bands with the authenticity factor of one or two members from when the band was in their prime.

But, as you say, crowds will still go to see them.

That's right. And when you have people willing to pay money to go see the show - despite whatever lineup or who is missing, then that's the motivation for all of these heritage acts to continue.

$$$$

twonabomber
04-20-2022, 05:23 PM
If "it ain't Van Halen without David Lee Roth" then it sure as fuck isn't Van Halen without Eddie Van Halen

Nitro Express
04-20-2022, 09:47 PM
Uh, Dave had vocals piped in on his most recent Vegas gigs. VH had vocals piped in in 2007.

Girl you know it’s…girl you know it’s…girl you know it’s… Ha! Ha! Van Villi Manilli

Vinnie Velvet
04-21-2022, 10:42 AM
If "it ain't Van Halen without David Lee Roth" then it sure as fuck isn't Van Halen without Eddie Van Halen

"Van Halen 4K"

"Van Halen Plus" - like a new streaming service!

"Van Halen and Friends"

nick500
04-21-2022, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't expect Alex to play with anyone. Him and Ed were extremely close not just as brothers but as jamming buddies. I think it would be very painful for him to try and drum. I know Alex Lifeson couldn't play when Neil Peart passed away and that's a friend. I can't imagine getting behind the kit when you lost your brother you used to play with. It would be hard to do alone at 5150 and many more times so in a public setting. I could see him maybe doing a sit in with Wolfgang but touring with a band? I think that's over with.

It sounds like it's Alex's idea. I think he just wants to celebrate his brother and that's it.
It's not Van Halen the band without Ed, but you could do a very good show.
As for Dave piping in vocals, it was basically on the high notes of Jump and he wasn't hiding it.
He needs to sit down for six months with Ken Tamplin and get his vocals back to a certain level.

Terry
04-21-2022, 05:01 PM
It sounds like it's Alex's idea. I think he just wants to celebrate his brother and that's it.
It's not Van Halen the band without Ed, but you could do a very good show.
As for Dave piping in vocals, it was basically on the high notes of Jump and he wasn't hiding it.
He needs to sit down for six months with Ken Tamplin and get his vocals back to a certain level.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I tend to doubt six months with any vocal trainer/therapist is gonna do Dave much good at this point in terms of restoring his voice to even where it was in 2007/2008.

I mean, anything is possible...but, no.

Add to that the tacit admission from Dave in advance of those January Vegas gigs (subsequently cancelled) that his doctors have basically told him to pack it in...I don't think Dave's gonna be doing extensive touring anymore, anywhere under ANY moniker.

Maybe a one-off gig, perhaps billed as a Celebration Of Eddie Van Halen or something. But Dave hitting the road for several months, doing multiple gigs weekly? I doubt he is physically up to that.

I mean, great if it happens for those who want to see it...but I'm just not seeing a tour happening with Dave doing a full set.

Can't Get This Stuff No More.

Vinnie Velvet
04-22-2022, 10:52 AM
Sincerely doubt Dave or even Al want to hit the road for several months like they used to.

What we know is that Al and Dave were planning on some kind of tribute show for Ed and to the VH legacy. So they reached out to some guys and started talking.

I don't recall if Satch actually jammed with Alex and I don't think it got to that point. I think it almost did but then Newstead bailed on the project.

This was probably something that was going to start off as one show and then perhaps evolve into something more. Maybe a string of summer gigs and thats it.

And it wasn't supposed to be public knowledge as it was only discussed. Blame Newstead for opening his mouth about it. Not sure why. Or maybe that was planned to gage reaction from the masses? Who knows.

But clearly nothing is happening at this time.

Terry
04-22-2022, 07:58 PM
Nothing is happening at this time, and the time to do whatever - if they are gonna do anything, live-wise - is now.

None of these guys are at an age where it's gonna sound any better if they futz around and do nothing for several more years and THEN decide to do something. All of them are on the wrong side of 50 to be frittering away the clock IF there is an actual ambition to do whatever.

But, Van Halen being what it morphed into post-2000, there's no rush to do anything. Hasn't been since Cherone left the band. Chalk up some of that to Ed's health, but the truth of the matter is with Roth's 2nd full-time stint with the band it was a year or so of activity then nothing for a few years: lather, rinse, repeat.

Seshmeister
04-22-2022, 08:51 PM
All of them are on the wrong side of 50 to be frittering away the clock IF there is an actual ambition to do whatever.

Wrong side of 60...

Bands slow down big time even if they don't go on mad drug binges for decades or split up.

I hadn't noticed until recently quite the extent of this with Rush who by all accounts of the genre were one of the few to keep their shit together with lineup and bring out albums their fans bought and keeping audiences up.

Their studio (not live or compilation) album productivity is

Decade 1 - 10 albums
Decade 2 - 5 albums
Decade 3 - 2 albums
Decade 4 - 2 albums

Obviously there is the break Peart took in decade 3 but still...

Nitro Express
04-23-2022, 05:05 AM
All that matters is if it’s good. Some old fucks can pull it off. Van Halen was a high energy act. Trying to do it at 70 is dumb. Can they do anything else that people would be interested in? Nope. I don’t think people want to see a campfire sing a long with Dave telling stories.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-23-2022, 11:37 AM
If the diehard fans that we are aren't majoritarily interested, then how are other people?

Personally, if it eventually happened I wouldn't care much.
Al would deliver, and so would Wolf and whoever would play the guitar.
But Dave would struggle with his voice again.

silverfish
04-23-2022, 11:54 AM
JASON NEWSTED Blasts Journalist Who Published His Comments About Proposed VAN HALEN Tribute Tour

"That was bad, dude. I'm not happy about that. I'm really, really not happy about that."

Full story at:
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jason-newsted-blasts-journalist-who-published-his-comments-about-proposed-van-halen-tribute-tour/

Terry
04-23-2022, 03:33 PM
Really, at this point. about the only stuff that would interest me is whatever live footage of the band in their CVH heyday exists that hasn't already been leaked out onto the bootleg circuit.

Be it the stuff in Mike Anthony's/Roth's/AVH's/Wolfgang's private collection (of which one would imagine there are at least a few full-length shows from the various CVH tours that were shot on either film or videotape) or the long-rumored stuff 'in the can' that WB supposedly filmed, or whatever.

I'd just like to watch some of that stuff. And I don't really care if it is in the form of an official dvd (not that anybody buys dvds anymore anyway) or on whatever streaming service or if somebody steals the stuff and uploads it onto youtube for free or whatever.

Because even if Roth and Alex and whoever do stage a live tribute to Eddie Van Halen...even if it's done tastefully, I can't say as I really...that wouldn't matter to me, because I have no interest in seeing it or hearing it.

Nitro Express
04-24-2022, 04:05 AM
Well Fuck Jason. Loose lips sink ships. That means you keep your mouth shut. It’s not the journalist’s fault, it’s your fault.

Nitro Express
04-24-2022, 04:14 AM
Someone told me they saw Sammy in Vegas and it was great. I told them they were a lame as shit old fuck. Yeah I can see the audience from the stage in my head. A hall full of lame fucks that look like they were bused in from the Walmarts around town.

Nitro Express
04-24-2022, 04:27 AM
The world is turning into cheese.

Kristy
04-24-2022, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't expect Alex to play with anyone. Him and Ed were extremely close not just as brothers but as jamming buddies. I

Horse hockey. This is easy money. There's no pressure to promote a new album, no grandiose stage design, so no hiring of extra crew and you keep the touring dates to minimum and do it during the summer. Tribute acts and tours are all about the money and Alex would do this alone to keep up the maintenance on all his Ferrari's.

twonabomber
04-24-2022, 12:59 PM
Maybe Alex is getting divorced again...

Kristy
04-24-2022, 07:14 PM
Alex with a University of Colorado Buffaloes hat on

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/5e/67/565e671cd78b41837f9657c098d328d9.jpg

There is a story in this somewhere.

Kristy
04-24-2022, 07:17 PM
Oh, one of his creepy kids attended there

Seshmeister
04-24-2022, 09:31 PM

They do have the look of every bully in every teen movie ever... :)

twonabomber
04-25-2022, 02:10 AM
Wonder when they wanted this thing to happen.

If Tommy Lee is really involved, the Crue tour ends in early September.

Satriani is touring the US mid-September through mid November, and then Europe from April to June 2023.

Supposedly Wolfgang is not happy about it:

https://i.imgur.com/oKpI5wD.png

Nitro Express
04-25-2022, 04:15 AM
Horse hockey. This is easy money. There's no pressure to promote a new album, no grandiose stage design, so no hiring of extra crew and you keep the touring dates to minimum and do it during the summer. Tribute acts and tours are all about the money and Alex would do this alone to keep up the maintenance on all his Ferrari's.

Ha! Alex probably is making more money from something else. He drives Porsches not Ferraris. Ferrari dealers kinda suck. Porsche dealers are way better.

Nitro Express
04-25-2022, 04:18 AM

There is a story in this somewhere.

Al’s son ran track for CU.

Nitro Express
04-25-2022, 04:20 AM
Maybe Alex is getting divorced again...

I hear his wife is a bit of a bitch.

Vinnie Velvet
04-25-2022, 12:02 PM
Really, at this point. about the only stuff that would interest me is whatever live footage of the band in their CVH heyday exists that hasn't already been leaked out onto the bootleg circuit.

Be it the stuff in Mike Anthony's/Roth's/AVH's/Wolfgang's private collection (of which one would imagine there are at least a few full-length shows from the various CVH tours that were shot on either film or videotape) or the long-rumored stuff 'in the can' that WB supposedly filmed, or whatever.

I'd just like to watch some of that stuff. And I don't really care if it is in the form of an official dvd (not that anybody buys dvds anymore anyway) or on whatever streaming service or if somebody steals the stuff and uploads it onto youtube for free or whatever.

Because even if Roth and Alex and whoever do stage a live tribute to Eddie Van Halen...even if it's done tastefully, I can't say as I really...that wouldn't matter to me, because I have no interest in seeing it or hearing it.

Not sure about more unseen concert footage but I believe there are live recordings from the 1984 tour and even from the Hide your Sheep tour so who knows.

Dave suggested back in '85 they release a live album as he himself back then said "we have tapes" but the Van Halens didnt want to.

Nickdfresh
04-25-2022, 03:07 PM
Still trying to track down the rumor that VH's 1984 show at the old, demolished Buffalo Memorial Aud was recorded by the Sabres broadcast team "Largo" style but always leads to the brickwall in the Aud subbasement. It would be a rare ProShot 1984 show IIRC, if not the only complete one...

Vinnie Velvet
04-25-2022, 03:21 PM
Still trying to track down the rumor that VH's 1984 show at the old, demolished Buffalo Memorial Aud was recorded by the Sabres broadcast team "Largo" style but always leads to the brickwall in the Aud subbasement. It would be a rare ProShot 1984 show IIRC, if not the only complete one...

Interesting.

And wasnt there a rumour that before Ed passed he and Al actually visited Noel Monk to view old CVH footage?

Monk by the way apparently has passed as well. RIP.

Seshmeister
04-25-2022, 05:16 PM
Monk by the way apparently has passed as well. RIP.

Apparently but I can't find a date or cause or whatever. One report said it was in March but news only seemed to start to filter out a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard until you posted here.

Nitro Express
04-26-2022, 02:03 AM
Not sure about more unseen concert footage but I believe there are live recordings from the 1984 tour and even from the Hide your Sheep tour so who knows.

Dave suggested back in '85 they release a live album as he himself back then said "we have tapes" but the Van Halens didnt want to.

I doubt anything new and substantial is going to surface. Noel Monk was an intimidating motherfucker and him and his staff really patrolled the arena for people selling unauthorized merchandise and taking unauthorized footage. Video and film cameras were big in those days so anyone filming would be easy to spot.

Vinnie Velvet
04-26-2022, 09:02 AM
I doubt anything new and substantial is going to surface. Noel Monk was an intimidating motherfucker and him and his staff really patrolled the arena for people selling unauthorized merchandise and taking unauthorized footage. Video and film cameras were big in those days so anyone filming would be easy to spot.

True. Guess I'm referring to some official recordings authorized by the band.

Vinnie Velvet
04-26-2022, 09:03 AM
Apparently but I can't find a date or cause or whatever. One report said it was in March but news only seemed to start to filter out a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard until you posted here.

I think it was Monk's facebook page that had some folks post RIP messages.

Seshmeister
04-26-2022, 10:25 AM
I did notice that in the sale of his effects there was a 5 foot high safe so maybe that's where all the Van Halen live videos were kept. :)

Nitro Express
04-26-2022, 10:34 AM
True. Guess I'm referring to some official recordings authorized by the band.

Michael Anthony did say the band did film itself to help with the stage choreography. I’m sure there’s some unseen footage but probably not anything all that great. Nothing is going to top those Oakland shows.

Nitro Express
04-26-2022, 10:37 AM
I did notice that in the sale of his effects there was a 5 foot high safe so maybe that's where all the Van Halen live videos were kept. :)

Noel Monk was a gun enthusiast. It’s probably a gun safe. He said he was a pack rat though so there probably is some interesting stuff.

FORD
04-26-2022, 10:55 AM

Supposedly the reason that they rushed out "Diver Down" - a short album that was half cover tunes- in 1982 is because WB pulled the plug on a live album from the Fair Warning tour at the last minute. The original plan was to put out a live album so they could take some time to write the next record. Even if WB rejected it, I would guess that somebody's got the masters for this record. Might be Al. Might be Warners. Could have been Noel Monk.... if it is him, I hope he had somebody trustworthy to take custody of such material in the event of his apparent death.

Seshmeister
04-26-2022, 11:17 AM
There is a story that he had got divorced and fallen out with his daughter which is maybe why there weren't proper obituaries and announcements. The sale of stuff did look as though maybe best things had already been taken or held back.

Do managers not get gold and platinum disks?

Von Halen
04-26-2022, 12:01 PM
Sounds like everything ever to do with this band. A clusterfuck.

I have been told by a former employee of the band, former as in before 1985, that when those cameras came out on stage during the shows, they were nothing more than props. No film in them. Another one of Dave's ideas to get the crowd even more riled up. This is a guy I have known a long long time. A guy I trust. The only civillian I've ever seen that could waltz onto DLR's tour bus.

I am hoping for pro shot video as well as soundboard quality audio to come out somwhere down the line. I don't care if it is the US Festival, or Oakland, or whatever show.

Nitro Express
04-26-2022, 03:14 PM
Wonder when they wanted this thing to happen.

If Tommy Lee is really involved, the Crue tour ends in early September.

Satriani is touring the US mid-September through mid November, and then Europe from April to June 2023.

Supposedly Wolfgang is not happy about it:

https://i.imgur.com/oKpI5wD.png

I agree with Wolfgang.

Nitro Express
04-26-2022, 03:15 PM
Sounds like everything ever to do with this band. A clusterfuck.

I have been told by a former employee of the band, former as in before 1985, that when those cameras came out on stage during the shows, they were nothing more than props. No film in them. Another one of Dave's ideas to get the crowd even more riled up. This is a guy I have known a long long time. A guy I trust. The only civillian I've ever seen that could waltz onto DLR's tour bus.

I am hoping for pro shot video as well as soundboard quality audio to come out somwhere down the line. I don't care if it is the US Festival, or Oakland, or whatever show.

Van Failin.

Nitro Express
04-26-2022, 03:21 PM
There is a story that he had got divorced and fallen out with his daughter which is maybe why there weren't proper obituaries and announcements. The sale of stuff did look as though maybe best things had already been taken or held back.

Do managers not get gold and platinum disks?

They probably kept things hush because they didn’t want to draw attention.

Nitro Express
04-26-2022, 03:23 PM
Noel had nothing to do with the music production so I doubt he would get wall hanger records. The producer probably got one.

Vinnie Velvet
04-26-2022, 04:40 PM
Supposedly the reason that they rushed out "Diver Down" - a short album that was half cover tunes- in 1982 is because WB pulled the plug on a live album from the Fair Warning tour at the last minute. The original plan was to put out a live album so they could take some time to write the next record. Even if WB rejected it, I would guess that somebody's got the masters for this record. Might be Al. Might be Warners. Could have been Noel Monk.... if it is him, I hope he had somebody trustworthy to take custody of such material in the event of his apparent death.

A live album after Fair Warning would make sense considering the photos used on the back cover live shots and the inner sleeve of Diver Down.

Von Halen
04-28-2022, 11:13 AM
I agree with Wolfgang.

Seems Wolfgang Van Halen and Alex Van Halen may have differing opinions on whether there is Van Halen without EVH.

I wonder if Al even has access to 5150, or the "vault".

Vinnie Velvet
04-28-2022, 12:46 PM
Seems Wolfgang Van Halen and Alex Van Halen may have differing opinions on whether there is Van Halen without EVH.

My understanding is that Al still has control over anything Van Halen related. As in the band and their music - which includes previous recordings or unreleased.

Wolf took over the EVH gear brand and thats it.

Von Halen
04-28-2022, 02:10 PM
Well, Wolf owns 5150 and that happens to be where the vault is located. I'm not so sure Al could just waltz in there.

Nitro Express
04-28-2022, 03:57 PM
Well, Wolf owns 5150 and that happens to be where the vault is located. I'm not so sure Al could just waltz in there.

Not really a vault. It’s a storage room with shelves on one wall and it’s full of tapes. You can access it from the studio, there isn’t even a door on it.

Nitro Express
04-28-2022, 04:04 PM
Who remodeled an existing building into 5150 was Drew Bertinelli. Ed playing music in the main house was driving Valerie nuts because she had to be at shoots early in the morning and Ed is a night owl. I had a chat with David Bertinelli and he told me some great stories about 5150. It was supposed to just be a practice space for Ed but Ed bought a bunch of used studio equipment and Donn Landee hooked it all up.

Nitro Express
04-28-2022, 04:12 PM

Well Wolfgang made his opinion public. I assume Wolfgang got the Cold Water Creek property where 5150 is located. Ed owned three adjoining lots. The property tax has to be killer. There’s the big house, a guest house, 5150 and another house.

Nitro Express
04-28-2022, 04:16 PM
My understanding is that Al still has control over anything Van Halen related. As in the band and their music - which includes previous recordings or unreleased.

Wolf took over the EVH gear brand and thats it.

Wolf got half of EVH Gear. Matt Bruck got the other half.

Von Halen
04-28-2022, 04:22 PM
Not really a vault. It’s a storage room with shelves on one wall and it’s full of tapes. You can access it from the studio, there isn’t even a door on it.

Everybody has always called it a "vault". You know this.

ZahZoo
04-29-2022, 12:54 PM
All this talk of a possible tour with various performers is a nice idea... a tribute to Edward... another nice idea.

To include anyone that wasn't a member of Van Halen other than guitar... would be a total lame-ass idea. If you are going to do it... do it right. Al, Mike and Dave... if you must, Hagar and/or Cherone. No need for anyone else on drums or bass. Maybe Wolfgang...

For the guitar aspect... while a good player, Satriani just doesn't fit all that well. Frankly no one does... even if they tapped into former tribute/DLR band 6-Stringers it just falls flat compared to Eddie. Brian Young was the best IMO... the rest were adequate.

No one... I mean no one... could reach the bar Ed set for guitar playing. For that fact alone... I lose interest in any of this crap...

FORD
04-29-2022, 04:08 PM
I always thought there might be a single tribute concert at some point (like the Queen concert after Freddie died) but a tour definitely seems like a bit much. And yeah, if it happens at all, Sobolewski should be playing bass. If Al still has a problem with him, then I guess the rumors are true that the bad blood between Mikey & the band started when Ed & Al's mom passed away, and Mikey didn't contact them at all. Dave, Hagar, and Cherone all paid their respects, though none of them were in the band at the time, and Ed & Al took it very personally. That story certainly holds up better in the current context than the one about Eddie being mad about Mikey getting 1/4 of the publishing credits & royalties while not actually being involved in songwriting. Because Alex wouldn't have a leg to stand on in that case, as he didn't write much either.

Nitro Express
04-29-2022, 04:29 PM
All this talk of a possible tour with various performers is a nice idea... a tribute to Edward... another nice idea.

To include anyone that wasn't a member of Van Halen other than guitar... would be a total lame-ass idea. If you are going to do it... do it right. Al, Mike and Dave... if you must, Hagar and/or Cherone. No need for anyone else on drums or bass. Maybe Wolfgang...

For the guitar aspect... while a good player, Satriani just doesn't fit all that well. Frankly no one does... even if they tapped into former tribute/DLR band 6-Stringers it just falls flat compared to Eddie. Brian Young was the best IMO... the rest were adequate.

No one... I mean no one... could reach the bar Ed set for guitar playing. For that fact alone... I lose interest in any of this crap...

Van Halen died with Eddie. People need to get over it. Did I see the last Van Halen tour because I wanted to see Dave dance around? Nope. I saw it because I wanted to see Eddie play which he did really well and instead of some sad drink and chemical abused sad character, he looked great and he was having the time of his life. Glad I saw it. Rest In Peace Ed.

Nickdfresh
04-29-2022, 05:54 PM
Van Halen died with Eddie. People need to get over it.

I agree and in no way would this really be Van Halen. But it might also be better than 90% of the shit out there...

Did I see the last Van Halen tour because I wanted to see Dave dance around? Nope. I saw it because I wanted to see Eddie play which he did really well and instead of some sad drink and chemical abused sad character, he looked great and he was having the time of his life. Glad I saw it. Rest In Peace Ed.

I also wanted to see Ed and he was by far the best thing to watch/hear in 2015. But I sure as fuck would have stayed away if Hagar had been the sole singer. I wanted to hear CVH which Davie is essentially part of!

Nickdfresh
04-29-2022, 05:58 PM

Steve Vai showed that even an elite, extremely talented guitar player can lose the plot when trying to emulate Ed. For one, Irregardless of technical ability or "feeling" or "soul", your fingertips are your fingertips and not Ed's and that's where the sound comes from. That being said I think Satch might be a bit better suited and less awkward...

Seshmeister
04-29-2022, 09:16 PM

To me it's back to Roth solo I don't see the difference unless it's Michael Antony and Alex Van Halen, that would maybe make it Dave solo+

At least part of the problem is always that Ed has permission to change his own solos a bit live, he would stick to the theme sometimes he would play note for note but he can do that. Anyone else doesn't have that luxury definitely not if they are not an artist in their own right so Brian Young would feel he had to try and play as close to the album as possible. Maybe the audience would give Satriani some leeway it's difficult to judge also would he choose to use it? I liked what Jake E Lee used to do with Randy Rhoads stuff back in the day a lot but usually it doesn't work out well - you are damned if you do damned if you don't. If Satriani plays a set of CVH Eddie note for note then I'm not sure how that is any better than Brian Young or whoever doing a facsimile.

Seshmeister
04-29-2022, 09:33 PM
Steve Vai showed that even an elite, extremely talented guitar player can lose the plot when trying to emulate Ed. For one, Irregardless of technical ability or "feeling" or "soul", your fingertips are your fingertips and not Ed's and that's where the sound comes from. That being said I think Satch might be a bit better suited and less awkward...

In defence of Vai we are judging live bootlegs and think was the late 80s peak of guitar wankery and he had taken on the biggest rock guitarist gig on the planet in his 20s it's not surprising in any way he maybe sometimes overplayed CVH especially on that first tour. Vai has plenty of feeling in his playing in fact he even did in the 80s in For The Love of God.

The worst example that I've ever heard ever though was Yngwie during that strange time in the late 90s when there were a lot of cover albums done by famous 80s musicians that almost always were not good but for interesting reasons. You would get Sebastian Bach singing a Rush song with George Lynch on guitar - in theory wow in practice not so good but you didn't know that until you bought the CD. I bought about 3 or 4 until I learned my lesson.

I just looked and it's got over a million listens on YouTube and lots of +ve comments but I still think it's fucking comical mess. :)

https://youtu.be/BaycOK66FAc

FORD
04-30-2022, 12:07 PM
Yikes! Never heard that before. Now I know why. Dio actually sounded pretty good there, but YingYang is unleashing the fucking ego as usual, and sounds completely out of place. Now I'm trying to imagine what Iommi would have sounded like on that song.

Ronnie was always good with cover songs, of course. Like this one from his Elf days, which was somewhat ironic, given his future career path....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1XrmD0uglk

Terry
04-30-2022, 01:23 PM

I'd tend to agree, but then 15 or so years ago the 1981 Memphis show surfaced. Appeared to have been a show the band videotaped with a single video camera on a fixed tripod at the mixing board, for what I'd assume was the band's own use...dunno how it got leaked out - if it was one of Eddie's assistants who pirated the thing or whatever - but it made me wonder how many other shows the band filmed back in the day in that manner (videotape on a single stationary videocamera obviously being cheaper than multiple cameras using actual film).

silverfish
05-12-2022, 06:07 AM
Michael Anthony Says He's Been in Van Halen Tribute Tour Talks
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/michael-anthony-van-halen-tribute-tour/

Kristy
05-12-2022, 12:01 PM
Which means S P A M M Y will be involved. Fuck that.

Vinnie Velvet
05-12-2022, 12:15 PM
Agreed. FUCK Spammy.

I dont want Alex resurrecting any Van Hagar material.

Glad its been dead and buried since 2004.

FORD
05-12-2022, 01:59 PM
Ironically, Van Hagar sometimes used an inferior scab guitar player on their own tours.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPAo0ReyCpE

:puke:

Nitro Express
05-12-2022, 02:22 PM
Van Halen ended in 1984. Everything since was a fagfest. People who enjoy cheese from a can and really love gay shit seem to enjoy it. I’m just amazed Sammy hasn’t come out with agave and lime flavored anal lube with aloe to sell to his disgusting base of fans.

Nitro Express
05-12-2022, 02:28 PM
If Alex becomes the new drummer in The Circle he’s come out of the closet. He can ride a unicorn naked with Sammy covered in rainbow body paint. Thank God Ed never lived long enough to see it.

Nitro Express
05-12-2022, 02:52 PM
Both Sam and Mike are famous for being able to hit very high notes. Of course. If you have no balls and like things shoved up your ass you tend to hit high notes pretty well.

Nitro Express
05-12-2022, 02:55 PM
Most rockers in the 80’s lived in LA. The place was full of hot pussy then. Sam preffered San Francisco and lived up there. May I say more?

Vinnie Velvet
05-12-2022, 03:47 PM
Stellar posts Nitro. :biggrin:

Vinnie Velvet
05-12-2022, 03:51 PM
Van Halen ended in 1984. Everything since was a fagfest. People who enjoy cheese from a can and really love gay shit seem to enjoy it. I’m just amazed Sammy hasn’t come out with agave and lime flavored anal lube with aloe to sell to his disgusting base of fans.

Its amazing to me how many still actually love Van Hagar.

A band that had more in common with Wham and other gay shit than Van HALEN.

Look, not everything Ed produced was fit for public consumption. He of course didn't care. Hence we got garbage like Anal Walks In. But to have it under the band name "Van Halen" was so wrong.

Nitro Express
05-12-2022, 07:17 PM
I might clarify I have nothing against gays. I apologize for comparing them to Sammy Hagar.

Nitro Express
05-12-2022, 07:21 PM
I get tired of seeing Sammy pop up on all these cooking shows with celebrity chefs selling him as some kind of great food expert. Sammy understands salad. He’s an expert on tossing salad. That dude’s face has been between more buns than all the beef at McDonald’s.

Nitro Express
05-12-2022, 07:25 PM
Its amazing to me how many still actually love Van Hagar.

A band that had more in common with Wham and other gay shit than Van HALEN.

Look, not everything Ed produced was fit for public consumption. He of course didn't care. Hence we got garbage like Anal Walks In. But to have it under the band name "Van Halen" was so wrong.

Oh hell. The 5150 walk? George Michael and Boy George would be all over that gay train wobbling to the backstage area.

Nitro Express
05-12-2022, 07:28 PM
The Van Hagar rider had more lube required than a fucking steam engine and the Tin Man.

Nitro Express
05-12-2022, 07:31 PM
Of course you follow the yellow brick road you will run into some scarecrow looking fuck named Sammy Hagar singing “If I only had a brain”.

Vinnie Velvet
05-13-2022, 09:48 AM
Oh hell. The 5150 walk? George Michael and Boy George would be all over that gay train wobbling to the backstage area.

Oh geez...the 5150 walk.

WTF was that. I remember seeing ads for the MTV awards show 1986 and seeing clips of them doing that shit.

Nitro Express
05-13-2022, 11:38 AM
It’s not hands on your hips, stick out your tush and give out a push. It’s equally as gay and even more dorky. You line up a train and each member waddles with a stiff walk like you are still hurting from the previous night’s ass fucking. While the train moves across the stage you move your arms up and down in an alternating motion like a robot. Van Halen never did shit like this before Hagar showed up.

Mushroom
05-13-2022, 11:48 AM
What a bunch of relationship experts and... this is as exhausting as watching prognosticators and proctologists talk about NFL Draft Day.

Since we are all experts, this is the best lineup for a show:

Van Halen Era as the Closer
DLR
Dweezil Zappa
Alex
Michael

Van Hagar Era as the Opener
Sammy
Joe Satriani
Alex
Michael

My hot takes:
1. Yes, I included Van Hagar, suck it. If it is about the money, then you cannot deny adding Hagar will bring in more people.
2. Musicians like to play music until they can no longer play their instrument. Sometimes it's just about the music, not $.
3. If you're Phil Collins, you sit in a wheelchair and sing, but you are boring.
4. Steve Vai has no business in participating, he's too processed. Write some damn good music.
5. Nitro, you picked up your jokes from the elementary school playground, pick up your game.
6. It's the Vault.
7. If I see one more cry for Video from Oakland 1981, etc. I'm sending in the nanobots.

Vinnie Velvet
05-13-2022, 02:32 PM
It’s not hands on your hips, stick out your tush and give out a push. It’s equally as gay and even more dorky. You line up a train and each member waddles with a stiff walk like you are still hurting from the previous night’s ass fucking. While the train moves across the stage you move your arms up and down in an alternating motion like a robot. Van Halen never did shit like this before Hagar showed up.

Agreed.

Your description of the stupid "walk" is spot on though. Lol

Vinnie Velvet
05-13-2022, 02:39 PM
What a bunch of relationship experts and... this is as exhausting as watching prognosticators and proctologists talk about NFL Draft Day.

DLR
Dweezil Zappa
Alex
Michael

Sammy
Joe Satriani
Alex
Michael

My hot takes:
1. Yes, I included Van Hagar, suck it. If it is about the money, then you cannot deny adding Hagar will bring in more people.
2. Musicians like to play music until they can no longer play their instrument. Sometimes it's just about the music, not $.
3. If you're Phil Collins, you sit in a wheelchair and sing, but you are boring.
4. Steve Vai has no business in participating, he's too processed. Write some damn good music.
5. Nitro, you picked up your jokes from the elementary school playground, pick up your game.
6. It's the Vault.
7. If I see one more cry for Video from Oakland 1981, etc. I'm sending in the nanobots.

We don't need Van Hagar at an Eddie tribute show/tour.

Same reason why you won't hear Ed's glorious music he made for that porno some years ago. IT SUCKS.

The Van Hagar period began what was to be Ed's eventual downfall (until Wolf saved him and Dave rejoined).

The music became just as Dave described it in his book; "morose".

Sure there may have been some highlights of classic Ed brilliance but largely the fire that produced the six pack on Van Hagar was gone. So why have that represented?

FORD
05-13-2022, 03:04 PM
I could see a situation where you might have Al, Mikey, and whatever guitar player doing some of the "better" Van Hagar songs instrumentally... without the Ched Rocker needing to be there at all.

Sort of like Ed, Al, and Mikey did, even when they were touring with Spam himself.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU7OG5FPVk

Some of that music was alright, as long as Hagar's screeching & shitty lyrics were removed from it.

Mushroom
05-13-2022, 05:26 PM
I could see a situation where you might have Al, Mikey, and whatever guitar player doing some of the "better" Van Hagar songs instrumentally... without the Ched Rocker needing to be there at all.

Sort of like Ed, Al, and Mikey did, even when they were touring with Spam himself.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU7OG5FPVk

Some of that music was alright, as long as Hagar's screeching & shitty lyrics were removed from it.

I've never seen that before but it sounds badass as an instrumental

Mushroom
05-13-2022, 05:27 PM
We don't need Van Hagar at an Eddie tribute show/tour.
... So why have that represented?

It's not just for you Vinnie. Yes Van Halen reigned supreme but Van Hagar did include Eddie Van Halen.

Nitro Express
05-13-2022, 10:07 PM

DLR
Dweezil Zappa
Alex
Michael

Sammy
Joe Satriani
Alex
Michael

My hot takes:
6. It's the Vault.

You can’t describe Van Hagar and be above elementary school playground level.

ZahZoo
05-14-2022, 08:32 AM
New Michael Anthony interview confirming discussions on the tribute tour...

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/michael-anthony-approach-van-halen-tribute

Notable quotes:

Mike... In the interview, which you can see below, Anthony says that he had been on "a conference call with [Van Halen manager] Irving Azoff, Alex [Van Halen] and Dave [Lee Roth] last year."

Dave... Roth said that, in his view, any kind of tribute tour would require two musicians for every position, before offering up Steve Lukather and Tommy Lee as additional potential participants, along with Satriani, Anthony and Alex Van Halen.

Wolfgang... “I can confidently say I will NEVER replace my father in Van Halen and tour around the world disrespecting my father’s memory. “No EVH = No VH. Get the fuck over it, but if you can’t, just quit bothering me about it and demanding I do it when I’ve made it very clear how I feel.”

ZahZoo... I like and respect The Kid's™ attitude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2z5BGifcY&ab_channel=JeremyWhite

Seshmeister
05-14-2022, 08:49 AM
I think the 2 people for each position was just a joke by Roth that's now being repeated everywhere as a statement.

I also think it's very possible the idea was abandoned a while ago after they mentioned it to Wolfgang and he reacted poorly.

Terry
05-14-2022, 02:00 PM
I think the 2 people for each position was just a joke by Roth that's now being repeated everywhere as a statement.

I also think it's very possible the idea was abandoned a while ago after they mentioned it to Wolfgang and he reacted poorly.

I mean, if whatever remnants of the band want to launch a tribute tour - regardless of whatever lineup configuration - who really gives a shit at this point?

"Wah, wah, wah...fuck Sammy!" Hey, fuck it. So what if Alex, Dave, Wolfgang, Sammy, Mike Anthony AND Gary Cherone go on the road billed as 'Van Halen'?

Whatever. Get Brian Young (or some other Van Halen tribute band Eddie clone) up there onstage with them.

Shit, go the Dio route and have Eddie's hologram playing onstage with 'em.

You know what is REALLY gay? Even gayer than Sammy? Even gayer than Roth's closeted offstage lifestyle, complete with a live-in Asian houseboy masseuse?

Contemplating who should be fronting Van Halen circa 2022 tribute band tour.

Beyond any minute sense of disgust I have as a fan over the possibility over 'Van Halen' continuing after Eddie died, I must say the fact that Anthony was approached AFTER Eddie died re: rejoining the group...it gave me a hearty chuckle. Mostly because it just made sense, because after 1984, Van Halen became the band that couldn't get anything right. Even in 1996, when the four members of CVH were still vertical and in a reasonable condition to reunite, all they could manage was a couple of tracks for a greatest hits album. No new full-length album. No tour. Ten years on, they bring Roth back in the fold but now Anthony's out. Do they replace Anthony with a killer bass player? Nope. Ed's kid. First full-length album with Roth in nearly thirty years. All new material? Nope. Half leftovers. They finally consider bringing Anthony back, but by the time an offer is made Ed has become too sick to perform, and even if Ed hadn't been too sick to perform Roth's performing abilities gave up the ghost back in 2008.

Van Halen wasted too much time and countless opportunities between 1996 and 2008 to reunite the classic lineup. In terms of the really stellar reunion fans wanted to see - where the principals were in a condition to do such a reunion justice - it never happened. Even before Ed passed away, it was clear that it never would happen, because Roth was shot in terms of being anything other than a strained yelp of his former self. Dave can't even front a full-length solo set with a faceless group of unknowns in front of a theater-sized crowd anymore. Ed is in his grave.

It's over.

Let Sammy, Dave, Alex, Mike, Wolfgang or whoever pick at the carcass for the scraps if they want. Myself? I don't even want to see/hear clips of it online for free should that come to pass: it's at the point where I couldn't even derive a sense of sardonic pleasure watching such a proposed train wreck. We've all been gawking at said wreck since 1996. These days, I would prefer remembering the band when they couldn't do any wrong.

Romeo Delight
06-10-2022, 08:36 PM
I think Joe Satriani is closer to Ed in tone than Steve Vai ever was, but even still and as good as Satch is there will be something missing...

I might try to catch Satch on tour in any case...

I have seen him play live about 5-6 times. Worth seeing for sure

Kristy
06-11-2022, 12:09 PM
Who remodeled an existing building into 5150 was Drew Bertinelli. Ed playing music in the main house was driving Valerie nuts because she had to be at shoots early in the morning and Ed is a night owl. I had a chat with David Bertinelli and he told me some great stories about 5150. It was supposed to just be a practice space for Ed but Ed bought a bunch of used studio equipment and Donn Landee hooked it all up.

You're so full of shit. That was Thomas Dolby. Yeah, that Thomas Dolby who Ed called personally on what was required in building a professional studio. Tom did it Quid pro quo if Ed played on one of his albums.

Which he did:

https://youtu.be/dAF7wdNcYDU

Quit making shit up just to make shit up

Nitro Express
06-11-2022, 06:00 PM
Oh so Thomas Dolby was the head contractor and ran the construction crew. I see. I guess you know more about it than David Bertinelli does.

Kristy
06-11-2022, 07:39 PM
Please shut the fuck up.

Go back to your "stories" of how you flew "choppers" in Viet Nam with Ted Nugent

Nitro Express
06-12-2022, 12:31 AM
Naw. Sammy Hagar is Ted Nugent’s little buddy. Sam likes tall rugged men.

silverfish
07-04-2022, 07:20 AM
DAVID LEE ROTH Is 'Holding Up' VAN HALEN Tribute Project, Says Radio Personality EDDIE TRUNK
https://blabbermouth.net/news/david-lee-roth-is-holding-up-van-halen-tribute-project-says-radio-personality-eddie-trunk

Terry
07-04-2022, 10:10 AM
I dunno.

It wouldn't be hard to imagine that the remaining principals - Roth, Alex, Michael Anthony, Wolfgang...what the hell, throw Hagar in there - wouldn't agree on what would constitute a fitting tribute to Eddie Van Halen at this point, or what form said tribute should take.

Maybe they do. Who the fuck knows?

The thing of it is...the band were sort of able in the last decade of their existence to get themselves sorted out to the point where they could perform the CVH stuff live and it sounded good, and sometimes even great. But the key factor there is that it took them that long just to be able to sort themselves out and get to that point...and this was while Eddie was still alive.

There's also the aspect of timing, in that it feels to me this tribute should have already taken place last year if it was going to happen at all.

silverfish
07-04-2022, 10:23 PM
...wouldn't agree on what would constitute a fitting tribute ....

Don't be surprised if it turns out to be "couldn't agree on what could..."

There's also the aspect of timing, in that it feels to me this tribute should have already taken place last year if it was going to happen at all.

Yeah, you're probably right about that.
The longer it takes (if anything does happen,) people will be like "WTF took so long?!" and that overshadows the event/tour/tribute/whatever...

Hellraiser!!
07-16-2022, 10:27 PM
Van Halen IS David Lee Roth

VHscraps
07-22-2022, 06:39 PM
Van Halen IS David Lee Roth

He is now. I do hope he is holding up this terrible idea for a tribute show or whatever that will undoubtedly feature - much like those horrible tribute albums that have come out in previous decades that I am sure you may have come across - a ton of geetar shredders and EVH wannabees. To fucking hell with that.

That ain't what VH was for me. It was DLR + EVH, then the other two.

Just let it lie, FFS.

One of the apparent paradoxes for me about VH is that while they were great at covering other people's tunes, everyone who tries to cover them is shit.

Why the hell is that?

For one it's cos no one can do Roth. It's because they don't get his influences.

Nitro Express
07-22-2022, 10:22 PM
DAVID LEE ROTH Is 'Holding Up' VAN HALEN Tribute Project, Says Radio Personality EDDIE TRUNK
https://blabbermouth.net/news/david-lee-roth-is-holding-up-van-halen-tribute-project-says-radio-personality-eddie-trunk

Yay! Way to go Dave!! I can’t wait to see Sammy Square Pants Hagar come out publicly and scold Dave for ruining another opportunity for Sam to self-promote himself.

silverfish
08-22-2022, 09:19 PM
Naturally...

SAMMY HAGAR Doesn't Know If He Would Perform At Proposed VAN HALEN Tribute Concert: 'I Don't Think I'd Go Back There'
https://blabbermouth.net/news/sammy-hagar-doesnt-know-if-he-would-perform-at-proposed-van-halen-tribute-concert-i-dont-think-id-go-back-there

On the other hand...

Sammy Hagar Feels ‘Responsibility’ to Perform Van Halen Songs
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-hagar-van-halen-songs/

FORD
08-22-2022, 10:38 PM
I don't even have to listen to Trunk to know he's full of shit. He's been a Hagar sheep from day one... :flock:

Vinnie Velvet
08-23-2022, 05:46 PM
Naturally...

SAMMY HAGAR Doesn't Know If He Would Perform At Proposed VAN HALEN Tribute Concert: 'I Don't Think I'd Go Back There'
https://blabbermouth.net/news/sammy-hagar-doesnt-know-if-he-would-perform-at-proposed-van-halen-tribute-concert-i-dont-think-id-go-back-there

On the other hand...

Sammy Hagar Feels ‘Responsibility’ to Perform Van Halen Songs
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-hagar-van-halen-songs/

Sam is such a tool.

One of the supposed big reasons nothing happened with a tribute is the fact that Alex didn't want you there and wants nothing to do with you. Assclown.

Dave wanted Mike. Mike then wanted Sam. Alex said no to Sam hence why Newstead was brought into the convo.

Something like that.

Terry
08-23-2022, 07:34 PM
Sam is such a tool.

One of the supposed big reasons nothing happened with a tribute is the fact that Alex didn't want you there and wants nothing to do with you. Assclown.

Dave wanted Mike. Mike then wanted Sam. Alex said no to Sam hence why Newstead was brought into the convo.

Something like that.

Hagar said something in a recent interview along the lines of both he and Mike have tried to contact Alex a few times since Ed passed away, but Alex hasn't returned either of their calls.

A lame thing to talk about in an interview.

Like, so now we've gone from Sam talking about how he spoke with Ed in the last year of his life to Sam talking about how neither he nor Mike has spoken to Alex since Ed died?

There's just no bottom with Hagar re: talking about Van Halen in interviews.

It's like, fuck, dude, just say "I was in the band, I had a great time when I was in the band, it ended badly, the reunion tour wasn't great, I wish it could have ended a better way, it didn't. Ed, sadly, has passed. That's it. There's nothing left to say, because everything else I mentioned has been talked about a million times before." Don't act like some sulking teenager whining about being ghosted.

FORD
08-23-2022, 08:35 PM
So Mike says he talks to Alex all the time.... but Sammy says Al won't talk to him or Mike?

Well, obviously somebody's lying. And I don't think it's Sobolewski. Just a hunch.....

Seshmeister
08-23-2022, 09:15 PM
I also strongly suspect that Hagar is very much exaggerating the extent of the big phone love-in he claims happened with Ed in his last year...

Nitro Express
08-24-2022, 04:27 AM
So Mike says he talks to Alex all the time.... but Sammy says Al won't talk to him or Mike?

Well, obviously somebody's lying. And I don't think it's Sobolewski. Just a hunch.....

The Van Halens threw Mike under the bus a long time ago. You think Al would give Sam the time of day after the stuff he said about his brother? It's too late to do a tribute. That horse left the barn and is gone. I think Al is going to live a private life. He never played with any other bands. With Ed gone I think the man is going to retire and stay away from the circus and attention whores like Sammy Hagar.

Nitro Express
08-24-2022, 04:40 AM
Sam is such a tool.

Something like that.

Sam is a attention whore. Most people with his kind of money would enjoy it in private. Sam has to be in your face all the time. He's on the radio, he's on television, he's on podcasts, he's playing the casino down the road. The dude won't go away. He's the whore of whores. But he runs his mouth and says stupid shit. He's said more demeaning stuff about Eddie and Roth to his credit did a few jabs here and there but never went to the expose level Hagar did. Eddie did say one thing about Hagar. It was all about the money for Sam. Well look at the guy, he's knocking on the window trying to constantly promote himself and he says Van Halen shit because it gets attention. We are talking about it right in here. We would be smart to just ignore the annoying fuck.

Terry
08-24-2022, 05:27 AM
The recent interview was on...Blabbermouth, and in the Blabbermouth article it said Hagar had told Ultimate Classic Rock (whatever that is) that as of last year that was the situation.

So, I suppose according to Blabbermouth - who got it from Ultimate Classic Rock who got it from Hagar - that at some point in 2021 Hagar and Mike had reached out to Alex, but Alex hadn't communicated back with either of them.

Fuckin christ it's like teenaged girl shenanigans describing the Telephone Game between these fucks.

Vinnie Velvet
08-24-2022, 09:52 AM
I also strongly suspect that Hagar is very much exaggerating the extent of the big phone love-in he claims happened with Ed in his last year...

Of course. I wouldn't doubt that the only thing that may be truthful about the whole thing is that a phone call was made and that yes they did talk.

To what extent and what was talked about and for how long no one knows.

Kristy
08-24-2022, 10:21 AM
I fail to see what everybody is so upset about. It was an inevitability that S P A M M Y would make this reunion or even rumors of a reunion all about himself. With his shitty inane ballad rock and corporate producers like Mick Jones S P A M M Y made Van Halen what they are today: a forgettable dog and pony act that used to have a charismatic singer and viable good tunes. I hope you all understand that S P A M M Y wants you to have no fun whatsoever at a reunion show. So pay your outrageous ticket price and be brow-beaten with a tequila alcoholic/cocaine abuser who is so god damn in love with himself.

S P A M M Y is going to make sure that this will be the last enjoyable Van Halen related show you'll ever see and hear.

Kristy
08-24-2022, 10:24 AM

https://www.sonypictures.com/sites/default/files/styles/max_560x840/public/title-key-art/daysofourlives_onesheet_1400x2100_0.jpg

Nitro Express
08-24-2022, 12:33 PM
The recent interview was on...Blabbermouth, and in the Blabbermouth article it said Hagar had told Ultimate Classic Rock (whatever that is) that as of last year that was the situation.

So, I suppose according to Blabbermouth - who got it from Ultimate Classic Rock who got it from Hagar - that at some point in 2021 Hagar and Mike had reached out to Alex, but Alex hadn't communicated back with either of them.

Fuckin christ it's like teenaged girl shenanigans describing the Telephone Game between these fucks.

Alex is a big Porsche enthusiast. Has been for years. I can relate because my brother was one. He loved that the same car you could use as a daily driver could also be a weekend race car. On top of that Porsche is a customer focused company and not like Ferrari who expects you to kiss their ass.

Alex and Eddie both were really talented armature race car drivers. There’s a track in LA where Alex would drive all the time. He’s well known there. Word is after Ed passed away it hit Alex hard. He stopped going to the track, people haven’t seen him.

So I doubt Alex contacted anyone about a tribute. Ed’s funeral was private. Supposedly they sprinkled his ashes in the Pacific Ocean. One thing for sure the family wanted privacy in the matter and didn’t want Ed’s grave to become some kind of shrine.

So it was probably Hagar who tried to contact Al and suggest a tribute. Why would Al contact Sammy? Especially after he talked shit about Eddie.

Nitro Express
08-24-2022, 12:40 PM
I fail to see what everybody is so upset about. It was an inevitability that S P A M M Y would make this reunion or even rumors of a reunion all about himself. With his shitty inane ballad rock and corporate producers like Mick Jones S P A M M Y made Van Halen what they are today: a forgettable dog and pony act that used to have a charismatic singer and viable good tunes. I hope you all understand that S P A M M Y wants you to have no fun whatsoever at a reunion show. So pay your outrageous ticket price and be brow-beaten with a tequila alcoholic/cocaine abuser who is so god damn in love with himself.

S P A M M Y is going to make sure that this will be the last enjoyable Van Halen related show you'll ever see and hear.

Sam likes to ejaculate his cheese batter all over the VH fan base. It’s a fetish he can’t help. To this day he still can’t believe the Van Halen’s were fucked up enough to let him in the band.

Nitro Express
08-24-2022, 12:41 PM
It’s going to be Dreams, reams and screams until the red cheddar head drops dead from his shitty carb and grease diet.

Von Halen
08-24-2022, 01:47 PM
Alex is a big Porsche enthusiast. Has been for years. I can relate because my brother was one. He loved that the same car you could use as a daily driver could also be a weekend race car. On top of that Porsche is a customer focused company and not like Ferrari who expects you to kiss their ass.

He would love the one my oldest boy recently took delivery of. Not sure which one it is, but it cost him $300k.

Why would Al contact Sammy? Especially after he talked shit about Eddie.

I would bet money Al NEVER contacted Clichegar.

FORD
08-24-2022, 02:05 PM
The Van Halens threw Mike under the bus a long time ago. You think Al would give Sam the time of day after the stuff he said about his brother? It's too late to do a tribute. That horse left the barn and is gone. I think Al is going to live a private life. He never played with any other bands. With Ed gone I think the man is going to retire and stay away from the circus and attention whores like Sammy Hagar.

Most likely, yes. Alex has never - to my knowledge - played or recorded with anybody other than Eddie, and also seems to suffer from some form of osteoporosis, just as Eddie did (hence the whole neck brace thing from the VDIII tour). So at the age of 69, I'd say there's zero chance that he would "start over" in the music industry. That's also why I'm guessing that he would be more likely to support the idea of a single "tribute" concert, as opposed to an entire national/international tour of "Almost Van Halen"

Nitro Express
08-24-2022, 02:29 PM
Alex only played with Ed. His entire career. So why would he change? The neck injury was from a water skiing accident. Al quit drinking way before Ed did and I don’t know if he still smokes. He was on some Porsche show a few years back and he looked pretty healthy. He could slam a car around the track that’s for sure.

Nitro Express
08-24-2022, 02:34 PM
But Al’s philosophy according to Wolfgang is nothing about Van Halen is discussed unless it’s definitely a sure deal. I’ve also heard him say if you bought tickets to a VH show they are obligated to show up and give you the best show possible. What goes on in the process of creating the music, the runnings of the band or their private lives is nobody’s business. Nobody is going to know what Al is going to do because he doesn’t show his hand. Never did.

Terry
08-24-2022, 03:53 PM

This Hagar blather WAS inevitable, wasn't it?

Terry
08-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Look, as a fan, all I know is...

run run runaway, like a train running off the track...

Kristy
08-24-2022, 04:14 PM
This Hagar blather WAS inevitable, wasn't it?

Of course he had to make this (alleged) reunion all about him.

silverfish
08-24-2022, 04:21 PM

Al, would you like me to perform at a proposed Eddie Tribute?
Please circle

YES NO

LightningBolt
08-24-2022, 04:27 PM
I was going to post something about the supposed "lovefest" between EVH and Sam..., but when I started searching online to refresh my memory of it, this came up from a few hours ago. Seriously?:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sammy-hagar-eddie-van-halen-dream-song/

"I shouldn’t be hyping it now," Hagar tells UCR. "Nobody knows this but Michael Anthony, Jason [Bonham] and Vic [Johnson]. About two months ago, I had this dream and Eddie came. We were in a room like this, [with] a bunch of people around. It was just like he’d been gone. It was not like he was passed, but he had just been out of my life and we hadn’t seen each other for a while. He’s going, 'Man, let’s write some music!' I said, 'Yeah, fuck it, man. Here, let’s go!'"

Hagar says they "went over into a corner, in this room. He had a guitar and he played me this thing. It was like this lick – [just like] the last lick that Eddie Van Halen showed me, when I went back for the [2004] reunion tour and when he was a mess. I said, 'Eddie, show me your newest shit,' because every time I’d be around him I’d say, 'Show me your newest shit.' He’d say, 'Oh, check this out!'" In the dream, "he did this harmonic thing and he slid it up to a chord, like a slide guitar. We wrote a song with that lick," Hagar adds. "I remembered it. I got up in the morning and I wrote the song. It’s called, 'Thank You.' I used the fuckin’ lick that he showed me in the song. I told Jason, 'I just really don’t know what to say lyrically.' I’ve got goosebumps, head to toe, [talking about it]. So I wrote it [about that experience], and we’ll do that song someday."...

...""Now, that’s going to be an Eddie-influenced song, to the point that I’m going to co-write it with him. I’m going to give him credit and then maybe we’ll donate the money to charity, whatever," Hagar says. "You see, I feel so embarrassed about it because everyone’s going to say, 'Oh, look at Sammy trying to capitalize on Eddie.' No, I’m not. You don’t understand. This was a real fuckin’ dream, and I told you exactly what happened in it..."

Vinnie Velvet
08-24-2022, 05:56 PM
I was going to post something about the supposed "lovefest" between EVH and Sam..., but when I started searching online to refresh my memory of it, this came up from a few hours ago. Seriously?:

"I shouldn’t be hyping it now," Hagar tells UCR. "Nobody knows this but Michael Anthony, Jason [Bonham] and Vic [Johnson]. About two months ago, I had this dream and Eddie came. We were in a room like this, [with] a bunch of people around. It was just like he’d been gone. It was not like he was passed, but he had just been out of my life and we hadn’t seen each other for a while. He’s going, 'Man, let’s write some music!' I said, 'Yeah, fuck it, man. Here, let’s go!'"

Hagar says they "went over into a corner, in this room. He had a guitar and he played me this thing. It was like this lick – [just like] the last lick that Eddie Van Halen showed me, when I went back for the [2004] reunion tour and when he was a mess. I said, 'Eddie, show me your newest shit,' because every time I’d be around him I’d say, 'Show me your newest shit.' He’d say, 'Oh, check this out!'" In the dream, "he did this harmonic thing and he slid it up to a chord, like a slide guitar. We wrote a song with that lick," Hagar adds. "I remembered it. I got up in the morning and I wrote the song. It’s called, 'Thank You.' I used the fuckin’ lick that he showed me in the song. I told Jason, 'I just really don’t know what to say lyrically.' I’ve got goosebumps, head to toe, [talking about it]. So I wrote it [about that experience], and we’ll do that song someday."...

...""Now, that’s going to be an Eddie-influenced song, to the point that I’m going to co-write it with him. I’m going to give him credit and then maybe we’ll donate the money to charity, whatever," Hagar says. "You see, I feel so embarrassed about it because everyone’s going to say, 'Oh, look at Sammy trying to capitalize on Eddie.' No, I’m not. You don’t understand. This was a real fuckin’ dream, and I told you exactly what happened in it..."

Just when you think Spammy could not vomit any more excrement from his mouth he comes up with that.

Holy fuck is this guy insane.

Kristy
08-24-2022, 06:17 PM
I'll say this: Alex Van Halen is a way better drummer than baldy butt Jason "Nepotism" Bonham. Not being that great of a Van Halen fan myself Alex always seemed to get the raw deal in his own musical talent being in Eddie's shadow. Eddie never would have sounded and/or played as good without him. Jason Bonham is a Ginger Baker wannabe hack with a lot of rich daddy money. He has nowhere near his father's talent. The fool here is him.

https://youtu.be/jz0XbcaO4xk

Seshmeister
08-24-2022, 08:48 PM

What a cunt.

Terry
08-24-2022, 09:07 PM
Al, would you like me to perform at a proposed Eddie Tribute?
Please circle

YES NO

That gave me a chuckle.

Terry
08-24-2022, 09:09 PM

When Hagar says he isn't trying to capitalize on Eddie, rest assured that means he's trying to capitalize on Eddie.

C'mon Sammy, dry your eyes...save all the tears you cried...tell us all what your Dreams...are made of.

Terry
08-24-2022, 09:14 PM
I'll say this: Alex Van Halen is a way better drummer than baldy butt Jason "Nepotism" Bonham. Not being that great of a Van Halen fan myself Alex always seemed to get the raw deal in his own musical talent being in Eddie's shadow. Eddie never would have sounded and/or played as good without him. Jason Bonham is a Ginger Baker wannabe hack with a lot of rich daddy money. He has nowhere near his father's talent. The fool here is him.

https://youtu.be/jz0XbcaO4xk

He's okay doing the Zeppelin stuff, I suppose, although no better than the drummer in that Zep tribute band Physical Graffiti I saw a few times in the late 1980s: Jason isn't any better than any other drummer I've ever heard essaying the Zep stuff...and the fact that he's Bonham's kid doesn't make him any more talented, just more marketable. On a technical level, John Bonham was far from the most difficult rock drummer, but he had great feel...very inventive with just hi-hat/snare/bass drum...and a good right foot.

Kristy
08-25-2022, 03:08 PM
Oh, PLU-EEEEZE. Phil Collins was a better wannabe Schleppy drummer than than Baldy Nepotism Boy. At least Phil tries to play like he's interested.

https://youtu.be/TudbbVdz8os

Recently read a book on Phil on his 80's decade reign and how Plagiarist Page wanted absolutely nothing to do with him but lost out on a last minute argument with Plant.

Von Halen
08-25-2022, 03:21 PM
Phil Collins sucks. Phil Collins has always sucked. Top 3 worst concerts I ever saw.

ZahZoo
08-25-2022, 05:22 PM
Phil Collins sucks. Phil Collins has always sucked. Top 3 worst concerts I ever saw.

Pretty much sucks... the only stuff he produced I cared for was work he did in Brand X, a jazz fusion group back in 74-80. No singing... all instrumental compositions. John Goodsall on guitar and Percy Jones on bass was beast back then.

One of my favorites is a tribute to Kristy call Born Ugly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wkSi-ZlOH8&ab_channel=BrandX-Topic

FORD
08-25-2022, 07:01 PM
Collins was the weakest link in the Zep Live Aid thing. Tony Thompson was the better of the two drummers, and he used to play disco for a living, for fucks sake!!

And Page was most likely smacked up on "Keith Richards 1975" grade heroin, but that's beside the point.

That said though... I do have a slight grudging respect for Phil because he probably worked harder on Live Aid day than anybody, doing his own stuff and duets with Sting in London, then hopping a plane to Philly to play with Clapton & Zeppelin.

Terry
08-25-2022, 07:23 PM
Collins was the weakest link in the Zep Live Aid thing. Tony Thompson was the better of the two drummers, and he used to play disco for a living, for fucks sake!!

And Page was most likely smacked up on "Keith Richards 1975" grade heroin, but that's beside the point.

And Plant's voice was pretty well fucked at the Live Aid gig: between both Plant AND Page underperforming the Zep tunes at Live Aid, Collins was far from the only reason that Zep Aid set was far less than spectacular. Yeah, Collins was flailing about like he didn't know how to play the Zep tunes - which he probably didn't - but if the entire thing hadn't come off as ragged and under rehearsed concerning the actual Zep members onstage (if Plant and Page hadn't choked...and make no mistake about it, Plant and Page choked at Live Aid) then what Collins did would barely have been noticed.

I mean, fuck Phil Collins for all sorts of reasons, but the Led Zep Live Aid Suckfest hardly rests on his shoulders alone.

Terry
08-25-2022, 07:30 PM
Oh, PLU-EEEEZE. Phil Collins was a better wannabe Schleppy drummer than than Baldy Nepotism Boy. At least Phil tries to play like he's interested.

https://youtu.be/TudbbVdz8os

Recently read a book on Phil on his 80's decade reign and how Plagiarist Page wanted absolutely nothing to do with him but lost out on a last minute argument with Plant.

C'mon. Jason Bonham isn't 100% terrible.

Yeah, doubtless 100% of his success is the direct result of who his father was, but he's...well, he's capable of keeping time.

Plus, sometimes when he performs with the Led Zeppelin Experience his bass drumhead has the Led Zep IV logo his father picked out.

Plus, he played with Foreigner...in the 2000s.

Oh, he was also the drummer in that fictional band Steel Dragon...in that movie Rock Star...starring Marky Mark, along with that hack actress Jennifer Aniston from Friends...

Oh, wait! He formed a 'supergroup'...with Sammy Hagar...and Michael Anthony...and Vic Johnson...you know, from the Bus Boys? Remember them? From that Eddie Murphy movie 40 years ago? When Eddie Murphy was funny? Because, you know...remember? Like?

Yeah, pretty much fuck Jason Bonham, along with Phil Collins. Everybody knows Karen Carpenter outdrummed them both.

FORD
08-25-2022, 07:36 PM
And Plant's voice was pretty well fucked at the Live Aid gig: between both Plant AND Page underperforming the Zep tunes at Live Aid, Collins was far from the only reason that Zep Aid set was far less than spectacular. Yeah, Collins was flailing about like he didn't know how to play the Zep tunes - which he probably didn't - but if the entire thing hadn't come off as ragged and under rehearsed concerning the actual Zep members onstage (if Plant and Page hadn't choked...and make no mistake about it, Plant and Page choked at Live Aid) then what Collins did would barely have been noticed.

I mean, fuck Phil Collins for all sorts of reasons, but the Led Zep Live Aid Suckfest hardly rests on his shoulders alone.

Yeah.... Plant's had "bad days" with his voice as far back as 1973. The stuff he was recording in his solo career at the time didn't require him to sing like a 19 year old anymore, so he was way out of practice.

You know how you know the entire performance was disappointing?? The Zeppelin reunion was probably the biggest thing to happen at Live Aid (at least the US half) and yet it was left on the cutting room floor when they finally released the concert on DVD, many years later. Would have thought they would leave it in just for the "historical significance"... but maybe Page & Plant wanted to fix their performances with a little overdub and were refused??

Terry
08-25-2022, 07:36 PM

The Top 3 worse concerts you ever saw were Phil Collins, Phil Collins and Phil Collins?

Why would you see Phil Collins three times?

Twice I could see, because maybe you saw him the first time and he was terrible, so you thought you'd give him a second chance to make sure the first time wasn't an off night.

Three times?! Bro, that third time is on you, yo!

Terry
08-25-2022, 07:39 PM
Yeah.... Plant's had "bad days" with his voice as far back as 1973. The stuff he was recording in his solo career at the time didn't require him to sing like a 19 year old anymore, so he was way out of practice.

You know how you know the entire performance was disappointing?? The Zeppelin reunion was probably the biggest thing to happen at Live Aid (at least the US half) and yet it was left on the cutting room floor when they finally released the concert on DVD, many years later. Would have thought they would leave it in just for the "historical significance"... but maybe Page & Plant wanted to fix their performances with a little overdub and were refused??

It was left off the dvd at the request of Plant, Page and Jones. I recall they flat-out said it was a substandard performance they didn't wish to have included on the dvd, and they opted to make a donation directly to whatever fund some of the dvd proceeds were going to.

Terry
08-25-2022, 07:45 PM

'Fixing their performances' a la their 2003 dvd release, or their dvd re-release of The Song Remains The Same maybe ten or so years back?

I mean, it's 2010, and here we have Page and Plant still fiddling around with The Song Remains The Same? Considering the original release was a spliced together composite of all those 1973 MSG shows to begin with - with upwards of a hundred or more 'edits' - how much more post-performance studio 'enhancement' does one need?

I'd take a shit Live Aid performance unedited over a 'live' gig comprised of studio fakery any day.

Kristy
08-25-2022, 08:53 PM
Tony Thompson was the better of the two drummers...

That was his name. According to the book, Plagiarist Page got into a an argument with Plant over Schleppy Live Aid stint saying he would not go on stage with Philip ever and that Thompson was a last minute decision to appease Plagiarist Page. The set was obviously not rehearsed. Plant won out due to Phil playing on Plant's fist two solo records and that Phil was one of the biggest artist in the world in 1985 with is latest album selling over 25 million.

Anyway, the book sucks

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51vxqzM6kEL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Kristy
08-25-2022, 08:56 PM
Yeah, doubtless 100% of his success is the direct result of who his father was, but he's...well, he's capable of keeping time.

That isn't saying much. I mean, so can Ringo.

Kristy
08-25-2022, 09:00 PM
Everybody knows Karen Carpenter outdrummed them both.

You know she never played on a Carpenter recorded due to their sexist producer who thought her playing was "weak" relying on a session drummer instead. She is indeed better than Phil and Jason combined.

https://youtu.be/K9TmMfnZyY4

Kristy
08-25-2022, 09:04 PM
Pretty much sucks... the only stuff he produced I cared for was work he did in Brand X, a jazz fusion group back in 74-80. No singing... all instrumental compositions. John Goodsall on guitar and Percy Jones on bass was beast back then.

One of my favorites is a tribute to Kristy call Born Ugly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wkSi-ZlOH8&ab_channel=BrandX-Topic

Sounds like a really bad Billy Cobham tribute band.

Really, really bad.

twonabomber
08-25-2022, 11:47 PM

Thompson started out in rock bands:

Tony: I love funk, but my major influences were rock. The reason I play drums is people like Ringo and The Beatles, Mitch Mitchell and Jimi Hendrix, Ginger Baker and Cream. John Bonham and Led Zeppelin blew me away. I played rock in neighborhood bands. I always liked and listened to funk music, but I really got into it when I met Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers.

FORD
08-26-2022, 12:12 AM
Well, that makes sense, given his style of drumming on the Power Station album was pretty much a hybrid of rock & funk influences..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73DDZdVCpqA

Von Halen
08-26-2022, 08:21 AM
The Top 3 worse concerts you ever saw were Phil Collins, Phil Collins and Phil Collins?

Why would you see Phil Collins three times?

Twice I could see, because maybe you saw him the first time and he was terrible, so you thought you'd give him a second chance to make sure the first time wasn't an off night.

Three times?! Bro, that third time is on you, yo!

I saw him once and only once. I would have taken a bullet before going to see that lame fucker a second time, let alone a third.

ZahZoo
08-26-2022, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a really bad Billy Cobham tribute band.

Really, really bad.

Cobham is a great drummer but much more of a traditional jazz player with the exception of some of his work with Miles Davis...

Terry
08-26-2022, 11:23 AM
That isn't saying much. I mean, so can Ringo.

I know. I was being ironical, like.

Terry
08-26-2022, 11:25 AM
You know she never played on a Carpenter recorded due to their sexist producer who thought her playing was "weak" relying on a session drummer instead. She is indeed better than Phil and Jason combined.

You know, I actually DIDN'T know she had never played drums on a Carpenter record.

Terry
08-26-2022, 11:27 AM
Well, that makes sense, given his style of drumming on the Power Station album was pretty much a hybrid of rock & funk influences..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73DDZdVCpqA

I recall that's why Plant and Page had tapped Thompson for the Live Aid gig and rehearsal time post-Live Aid re: a possible Zep reunion with him on drums, that being the thunderous sound of Thompson's drums on record.

Seshmeister
08-26-2022, 08:36 PM
That was always my go to album to test a stereo back in the day. :)

I believe Tony Thompson was well respected among drummers as being really good.

Nickdfresh
08-26-2022, 10:07 PM

But she was weak from hunger...

Seshmeister
08-27-2022, 09:35 AM
The guy at the back with the beard is carrying her... :D

Silexxx
09-03-2022, 12:44 PM
https://youtu.be/LOnjLuBBkhU

Wolfie just played guitar On Fire and Hot For Teacher at Taylor Hawkins tribute show. Around 1h 10min mark I think.

FORD
09-03-2022, 02:04 PM
didn't realize that was a live show in progress. Right now Joe Walsh is playing with a reunited James Gang. Guess I'll have to look for Wolfie when it replays.

twonabomber
09-03-2022, 02:16 PM
well there's one question answered...

Kristy
09-03-2022, 04:40 PM
Wolfie just played guitar On Fire and Hot For Teacher at Taylor Hawkins tribute show. Around 1h 10min mark I think.

A junkie overdoses and his former band mates cannot wait to exploit his death.

FORD
09-03-2022, 05:01 PM
Not a bad show though. They had what's left of Rush, followed by what's left of Queen (without Adam LAMEbert, thank Christ!) and 80 year old Paul McCartney singing Helter Skelter.

Kristy
09-03-2022, 05:54 PM
Guess Tom Petty and Jimi Hendrix were "busy"

FORD
09-03-2022, 06:03 PM
Probably watching the show with Taylor Hawkins... where ever they might all be at the present time.

FORD
09-03-2022, 06:53 PM
Well, the replay's up and I saw Wolfie's part of the show. Kid sounded great. Eddie would have been proud. Maybe if this VH tribute concert ever happens, he actually can play lead guitar? Still wouldn't want to see a full tour with him standing in for his dad though.

Seshmeister
09-03-2022, 07:07 PM
Not really sure what the point of any of this is, Taylor died having too much fun at 50 with 10s of millions in the bank - is there a message to be learned from that? Not really.

Wolf did a good job on Hot For Dinner Lady and On Fryer and I appreciate using the silly voice man to do a deep cut.

FORD
09-03-2022, 07:36 PM
Silly voice man also appeared later with What's Left of Queen. Certainly better than Adam LAMEbert. Justin always wanted to be Freddie Mercury. That's about as close as he'll ever get.

Kristy
09-03-2022, 07:46 PM
Definition of suck:

https://youtu.be/cS4gnHhSzXc

Kristy
09-03-2022, 07:57 PM
White trash unite:

https://youtu.be/2aAH4NbkH00

Terry
09-03-2022, 08:04 PM
Dunno if this is fat-shaming or not, but the primary thing running through my mind was that Wolfgang looks like he's 100+ lbs overweight. Like, even considering he has been overweight for quite some time, he looks like he has let himself go to the point where he appeared to have difficulty moving.

As to the guitar playing, not the worst I've ever heard somebody else play Ed's stuff...and not much beyond that. Same goes for the rest of the musicians onstage re: covering a Van Halen tune: it was alright. They looked like they were having fun, and that's good for them.

Seshmeister
09-03-2022, 09:20 PM
White trash unite:

https://youtu.be/2aAH4NbkH00

I don't know what you are trying to say but I do know it's dogshit.

That said YYZ to 70 000 Foo Fighters fans in London on a Saturday night with a slightly rusty Alex Lifeson doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe in Rio...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eSlvoO3Vw8

Seshmeister
09-03-2022, 09:24 PM
Dunno if this is fat-shaming or not, but the primary thing running through my mind was that Wolfgang looks like he's 100+ lbs overweight. Like, even considering he has been overweight for quite some time, he looks like he has let himself go to the point where he appeared to have difficulty moving.

He's not overweight he's just under tall. If he was 8 feet tall he would be slim.

Fuck the fat shaming thing, he is trying to work as a rock star and the job requisite for that is not fat as fuck.

I don't make the rules. It's also a shame that people with one leg are discriminated against in the world of professional golf but most of them are not self inflicted or multi millionaires already so boo fucking hoo. :D

Kristy
09-03-2022, 09:38 PM
He's not overweight he's just under tall. If he was 8 feet tall he would be slim.

Fuck the fat shaming thing, he is trying to work as a rock star and the job requisite for that is not fat as fuck.

I don't make the rules. It's also a shame that people with one leg are discriminated against in the world of professional golf but most of them are not self inflicted or multi millionaires already so boo fucking hoo. :D

https://i.postimg.cc/Vsh6Jy3M/Fat-Fuck.jpg

Seshmeister
09-03-2022, 09:46 PM
If he wants to work in the industry and has clearly inherited the addictive personality of his parents it's fine and totally manageable he just needs to swap the food addiction for something else like booze or cocaine. They will kill him around the same age but he will look better doing it.

He'll still live a better life and have more fun life than 99% of us so it's all good.

Terry
09-03-2022, 10:00 PM

I mean, I get all that. When people say that obesity is a 'glandular problem' or that obesity isn't a condition that others should pass judgement on, both of those attitudes I find silly and unrealistic, as is the notion that if a person is overweight it is 'beautiful' or whatnot.

But when watching that clip, my reaction wasn't one of giggling or pointing and laughing at fatty. It was more along the lines of shaking my head at just how much this guy has let himself go physically, waddling around onstage. He looks like he is setting himself up for a premature heart attack or at the very least a serious case of diabetes the way he is going. Should either come to pass, doubtless like anybody else it ultimately comes down to personal responsibility and self-control. Never mind working as a rock star: he's, what, 30 years old? Easily 100 pounds overweight? THAT much over the scales isn't useful for anybody at any age in any occupation. I could stand to lose 20 lbs myself and having 20 years on him I'll tell you that I can feel the extra pounds, so that guy must be that much more uncomfortable.

He'd be advised not to take up the habit his father had of smoking if he isn't gonna try and slim down.

Vinnie Velvet
09-03-2022, 10:11 PM
I mean, I get all that. When people say that obesity is a 'glandular problem' or that obesity isn't a condition that others should pass judgement on, both of those attitudes I find silly and unrealistic, as is the notion that if a person is overweight it is 'beautiful' or whatnot.

But when watching that clip, my reaction wasn't one of giggling or pointing and laughing at fatty. It was more along the lines of shaking my head at just how much this guy has let himself go physically, waddling around onstage. He looks like he is setting himself up for a premature heart attack or at the very least a serious case of diabetes the way he is going. Should either come to pass, doubtless like anybody else it ultimately comes down to personal responsibility and self-control. Never mind working as a rock star: he's, what, 30 years old? Easily 100 pounds overweight? THAT much over the scales isn't useful for anybody at any age in any occupation. I could stand to lose 20 lbs myself and having 20 years on him I'll tell you that I can feel the extra pounds, so that guy must be that much more uncomfortable.

He'd be advised not to take up the habit his father had of smoking if he isn't gonna try and slim down.

Just saw the Hawkins tribute clip.

Wolf played the CVH stuff pretty good but yeah I agree the dude is fat as fuck.

He really needs to get his shit together and lose weight otherwise he will be done far sooner than his Dad was.

And that other Hawkins…that faggot Justin Hawkins sucked trying to sing Dave’s songs.

Kristy
09-03-2022, 10:23 PM
And that other Hawkins…that faggot Justin Hawkins sucked trying to sing Dave’s songs.

Was that the douche snot in the Bowie glam rock space suit with the shit hair, tattoos, and porn stache?

Vinnie Velvet
09-03-2022, 11:01 PM
Was that the douche snot in the Bowie glam rock space suit with the shit hair, tattoos, and porn stache?

Yup. That loser.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 12:01 AM
Just saw the Hawkins tribute clip.

Wolf played the CVH stuff pretty good but yeah I agree the dude is fat as fuck.

He really needs to get his shit together and lose weight otherwise he will be done far sooner than his Dad was.

He’s clearly got natural talent but he’s not serious enough about being an on stage performer to be great. If he was serious he would take better care of himself but his parents enabled his poor fitness and eating habits. You are right, diabetes and heart disease are going to take him early if he doesn’t change his lifestyle and unfortunately I’m afraid he’s too stubborn to make that huge change in his life.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 12:03 AM
Yup. That loser.

Showbiz has gotten lame as fuck.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 12:10 AM

Losing weight requires lot’s of discipline. The weight will eventually come off and you will eventually tone up but it requires a plan. You break it down into a daily regimen. If you follow that regimen you will end up where to want to be but you have to WANT it. Oh but I don’t want to live that way. Well all those great looking athletes, body builders and models live that way. It’s called discipline. Nothing worthwhile comes easy. The world just doesn’t work that way.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 12:12 AM
I thought of The Big Rock Show. A big fat dude noodling on a guitar.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 12:17 AM
Anyways everything starts with attitude and if your attitude sucks nothing else matters. You are fucked.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 12:29 AM
I could get Wolf looking great in a year. That means getting him to a healthy target weight and body toning. The first two weeks will be hell but after that the body gets used to being worked, the stomach gets used to less food, new habits start to form. The best thing to get a fat guy burning fat and building muscle with minimum impact to the body is swimming. There’s two pools at his dads old property. No excuse Wolf. Get swimming!

Jérôme Frenchise
09-04-2022, 04:36 AM
https://youtu.be/LOnjLuBBkhU

"Video is unavailable. Video is private." :doh:

MasonL
09-04-2022, 08:51 AM
Catching up on all the hoopla from the Hawkins show. I don’t know why anybody expected a tribute like that for Ed. Classic VH was never buddy buddies with the music industry and the popular artists. Dave doesn’t have many music friends at all, it seems. Both he and Al seem to just want to let Ed Rest In Peace. This Hawkins thing is something Hagar would love-a public opportunity to tell everybody how heartbroken he is and make outward displays of affection and get the credit of being a “class act.” Of course, I don’t see this kinda thing as classy at all

Terry
09-04-2022, 10:30 AM
Showbiz has gotten lame as fuck.

It really has.

Especially rock band showbiz.

Whatever one thought of Elvis Presley overall, his early performances had that element of subversive danger. "Oh my God, he's shaking his hips! In front of teenage girls!!"

Or The Doors playing in Miami in 1969, with a drunken Morrison trying to incite a riot.

Or those early Sex Pistols gigs in London.

Or the Stones at Altamont.

Or those early Ramones gigs at CBGB's. Or the Seattle scene before the "grunge" media hype label was affixed. Bands and audience alike mixing it up in small venues.

Rock just became slowly corporatized, blandified and safe. No sense of danger. No sense of excitement. No sense of purpose other than everybody politely filing into a stadium and paying through the nose to participate in celebrity worship while the bands onstage churn out uninspired, notes-by-rote performances. THAT has been the case for 40 years: the only genre of music post-early 1980s that really consistently brought that sense of danger, excitement, creativity and urgency to the fore is rap music. Those 80's Satanic Metal bands were a lame joke. I mean, overall I prefer rock to rap, but I'm still gonna call it like I see it.

Silexxx
09-04-2022, 11:25 AM
https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/status/1566431864965005316?t=RxVt8eyMptckNog0l16Zwg&s=19

"Thank you for everything, Taylor.

That was for you, and for Pop ❤️"

Seems like Wolf had his tribute to Eddie.

twonabomber
09-04-2022, 11:31 AM
There's a second Hawkins tribute in LA. Let's see if Wofgang plays something different.

Kristy
09-04-2022, 12:28 PM
https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/status/1566431864965005316?t=RxVt8eyMptckNog0l16Zwg&s=19

"Thank you for everything, Taylor.

That was for you, and for Pop ❤️"

Seems like Wolf had his tribute to Eddie.

Must be so nice to go through life not pay any doooooooos and thank your sugar daddy whenever you need a gig.

MasonL
09-04-2022, 12:29 PM
Great points and we can see the difference within VH itself. Classic VH had that attitude, that sense of danger. They defied convention and brought a signature spirit. With Fagar, it quickly became safe music made for popular consumption. Whatever sells. Lowest common denominator. It was made for children. Beyond the tangible differences, it had no purity anymore. Because that's who Sam is: he's a businessman. Not an artist. He wears the label of an artist but he is not one of them. You can get away with that and sell a few million records but after a couple years the luster washes away. Compared to the Real Van Halen which has aged like fine wine.

Kristy
09-04-2022, 12:33 PM
There's a second Hawkins tribute in LA. Let's see if Wofgang plays something different.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/fast-money-fast-money-money-cash-dollar-earn-rich-more-fast-quick-easy-make-money-advert-bills-concept-show-way-dollar-bills-162657463.jpg

I have to give it to Dave "Chronic Yellow Teeth" Grohl. He went to the bank on the death of Kurt so why stop that gravy train now? Maybe Roswell Records was about to go bankrupt from Dave putting out shitty album after shitty album for so many years. Either way, way to go, Dave. Nothing like exploiting the dead for personal profit is there?

Nickdfresh
09-04-2022, 02:12 PM
It really has.

Whatever one thought of Elvis Presley overall, his early performances had that element of subversive danger. "Oh my God, he's shaking his hips! In front of teenage girls!!"

Or The Doors playing in Miami in 1969, with a drunken Morrison trying to incite a riot.

Or those early Ramones gigs at CBGB's. Or the Seattle scene before the "grunge" media hype label was affixed. Bands and audience alike mixing it up in small venues.

Rock just became slowly corporatized, blandified and safe. No sense of danger. No sense of excitement. No sense of purpose other than everybody politely filing into a stadium and paying through the nose to participate in celebrity worship while the bands onstage churn out uninspired, notes-by-rote performances. THAT has been the case for 40 years: the only genre of music post-early 1980s that really consistently brought that sense of danger, excitement, creativity and urgency to the fore is rap music. Those 80's Satanic Metal bands were a lame joke. I mean, overall I prefer rock to rap, but I'm still gonna call it like I see it.

That last really cool thing that had any sort of vestige of rebellion was Billie Joe Armstrong melting down. I understand many here probably hate Green Day, but this is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9zogQOmQVM

Unfortunately he had to apologize and say he had addiction issues after and went in to rehab...

twonabomber
09-04-2022, 02:16 PM
I don't hate Green Day, but after growing up in the 80's and being told that Green Day is "punk"...yeah, right.

FORD
09-04-2022, 02:42 PM
I'd say Green Day started out as "punk" but they went more towards "arena" rock when they started writing rock operas like "American Idiot". I liked that record myself, but I still think "Kerplunk" was the best album they ever did.

I saw Green Day live at the Evergreen State College and at the North Shore Surf Club in Olympia before they signed with Reprise records and had any sort of national presence. And I saw them again at the Tacoma Dome on the American Idiot tour. All great shows, but to be honest, I liked them better in the smaller venue.

Of course way back then, Billie Joe & Mike actually looked like the living embodiment of Bill & Ted....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOg8lQB5NRc

WILD STALLYONS RULES!!!!

Kristy
09-04-2022, 02:54 PM
Green Day = corporate punk for clueless suburbanites

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 06:17 PM
It really has.

What really killed music was the loss of locally owned radio stations. Every radio station had it’s own personality and the DJ’s were local celebrities themselves. A lot of bands got broke by these guys. The Police were nobodies in the states and they played a small club in Syracuse where they were seen by a Boston DJ there visiting family. They got massive airplay in Boston because of him and that broke them into the bigger music scene.

That’s gone. The more major clubs want you to pay them to play. Not even the mob who owned the clubs in the old days pulled that kind of shit. Also I don’t know if the younger generations are into bands like we were. Their thing is video games and we didn’t have smart phones. If you wanted to hang with people you physically had to go meet with them. Now it’s sit in the gaming chair and play games with your Buddy’s online.

They have a lot more options to cure boredom than we did. Yeah younger people have talent, they can play but without the radio stations and that dynamic rock as we knew it is gone.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 06:21 PM
Also what’s the incentive and motivation to make the effort to form a band and play? What are the spoils now? The illusion of the big break is gone too.

Terry
09-04-2022, 07:12 PM
That last really cool thing that had any sort of vestige of rebellion was Billie Joe Armstrong melting down. I understand many here probably hate Green Day, but this is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9zogQOmQVM

Unfortunately he had to apologize and say he had addiction issues after and went in to rehab...

He got drunk onstage and melted down, which is sort of rock and roll. Green Day were always Hot Topic shopping mall pop punk at best for me, but, yeah, for Green Day getting shitfaced and having a live freakout was SORT of cool...

Then he immediately apologized and went into rehab, both of which are lame yet simultaneously fitting, because Green Day was always lame.

Terry
09-04-2022, 07:12 PM
Also what’s the incentive and motivation to make the effort to form a band and play? What are the spoils now? The illusion of the big break is gone too.

Yep. True dat, yo!

Terry
09-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Green Day = corporate punk for clueless suburbanites

Someone somewhere described Foo Fighters as corporate bro rock, or Brah Rock. Or Dad Rock, a term Grohl embraces. I prefer Corporate Brah Rock. Meaningless piffle.

But Grohl always came off as a bit of a slightly douchey hipster to me even as far back as Nirvana. I remember the interviews he'd do while in Nirvana, and he struck me exactly as one of those upper-class rich kids in the late 1980s who became a 'Deadhead' after the Touch Of Grey single got popular. Little Jimmy Yuppie wearing a tie die and blathering on about how Jerry 'The Fat Buddah' Garcia was Jesus on Earth, because that was the fashion. One always knew that Grohl was never going to fall into a downward spiral of despair and kill himself or retire after Nirvana was over out of a sense of sadness and shock. There he was shortly after Nirvana ended, playing drums for Tom Petty. Not even Tom Petty when he was putting out decent tunes, either, but lame mid-1990s Tom Petty.

Terry
09-04-2022, 07:28 PM
I don't hate Green Day, but after growing up in the 80's and being told that Green Day is "punk"...yeah, right.

I don't even know why that punk moniker was affixed to Green Day in the first place outside of the look of the band: their music had zero to do with punk from what I heard.

FORD
09-04-2022, 08:28 PM
I don't even know why that punk moniker was affixed to Green Day in the first place outside of the look of the band: their music had zero to do with punk from what I heard.

Depends on what you want to consider "punk". As far as California punk bands go, they had much more in common with The Dickies than they did the Dead Kennedys or Black Flag. Compared with punk bands from elsewhere, they were closer to the Ramones than the Pistols or the Clash.

In reality, all these labels like "punk" or "grunge" or "alternative" are media creations anyway. If you think a band makes decent music, buy their records, if you think they suck, buy other records.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 09:48 PM
He got drunk onstage and melted down, which is sort of rock and roll. Green Day were always Hot Topic shopping mall pop punk at best for me, but, yeah, for Green Day getting shitfaced and having a live freakout was SORT of cool...

Then he immediately apologized and went into rehab, both of which are lame yet simultaneously fitting, because Green Day was always lame.

What’s so so punk about a band who’s name sounds like a golfing product or natural supplement? Crotch Crab Salad or Boink! are proper type of punk names.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 09:52 PM
Someone somewhere described Foo Fighters as corporate bro rock, or Brah Rock. Or Dad Rock, a term Grohl embraces. I prefer Corporate Brah Rock. Meaningless piffle.

But Grohl always came off as a bit of a slightly douchey hipster to me even as far back as Nirvana. I remember the interviews he'd do while in Nirvana, and he struck me exactly as one of those upper-class rich kids in the late 1980s who became a 'Deadhead' after the Touch Of Grey single got popular. Little Jimmy Yuppie wearing a tie die and blathering on about how Jerry 'The Fat Buddah' Garcia was Jesus on Earth, because that was the fashion. One always knew that Grohl was never going to fall into a downward spiral of despair and kill himself or retire after Nirvana was over out of a sense of sadness and shock. There he was shortly after Nirvana ended, playing drums for Tom Petty. Not even Tom Petty when he was putting out decent tunes, either, but lame mid-1990s Tom Petty.

The 90’s were some lame shit. Put society into a nose dive we never pulled out of. Grohl has become another Sammy Hagar. He won’t go away.

Nitro Express
09-04-2022, 09:57 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised is Hagar and Grohl come out with a duet. It could be called Wet Dreams Between You and Me!

Terry
09-04-2022, 10:38 PM
What’s so so punk about a band who’s name sounds like a golfing product or natural supplement? Crotch Crab Salad or Boink! are proper type of punk names.

I'd go with Crotch Crab Salad, myself.

Terry
09-04-2022, 10:41 PM
I wouldn’t be surprised is Hagar and Grohl come out with a duet. It could be called Wet Dreams Between You and Me!

Hagar can babble his usual silliness for the verses like he always does, and Grohl can scream his usual silliness for the choruses like he always does.

They can get Taylor Hawkins' kid and Jason Bonham to both lay down drum tracks. Wolfgang can finger tap some guitar licks, and Sean Lennon can produce it.

Terry
09-04-2022, 10:43 PM
Depends on what you want to consider "punk". As far as California punk bands go, they had much more in common with The Dickies than they did the Dead Kennedys or Black Flag. Compared with punk bands from elsewhere, they were closer to the Ramones than the Pistols or the Clash.

In reality, all these labels like "punk" or "grunge" or "alternative" are media creations anyway. If you think a band makes decent music, buy their records, if you think they suck, buy other records.

Can I think and do all that and still say Green Day suck my dry old man nutsack when they're not busy being punk posers?

Nitro Express
09-05-2022, 12:17 AM
Hagar can babble his usual silliness for the verses like he always does, and Grohl can scream his usual silliness for the choruses like he always does.

They can get Taylor Hawkins' kid and Jason Bonham to both lay down drum tracks. Wolfgang can finger tap some guitar licks, and Sean Lennon can produce it.

It's coming but first Grohl will have to come out with his own line of chicken wing sauce, an energy drink tributed to his spastic dead drummer and his signature line of pubic hair shavers. Can't have pubes when Sammy is sucking your dick.

FORD
09-05-2022, 12:22 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/Hx12k9v5/oh8z2apbmyl91.webp

FORD
09-05-2022, 01:56 AM
Can I think and do all that and still say Green Day suck my dry old man nutsack when they're not busy being punk posers?

Well they could always play Cheap Trick covers instead....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv8eJrcC2K8

Seshmeister
09-05-2022, 06:35 AM
What really killed music was the loss of locally owned radio stations. Every radio station had it’s own personality and the DJ’s were local celebrities themselves. A lot of bands got broke by these guys. The Police were nobodies in the states and they played a small club in Syracuse where they were seen by a Boston DJ there visiting family. They got massive airplay in Boston because of him and that broke them into the bigger music scene.

That’s gone. The more major clubs want you to pay them to play. Not even the mob who owned the clubs in the old days pulled that kind of shit.

That's a bit glass half empty though. Bands nowadays can make a multi track single or album and release it themselves internationally on all the streaming platforms for pocket money. They can then use their phones to make a video for a single, edit it with free software and put that out there and publicize it on social media all again for no cash. Back in the day that would have cost at least $100k.

On the pay to play front it depends what you mean, here the model is often effectively the band becomes the promoter so in the same way that missing out the record company taking 80/90% like in the 'good old days, there is no promoter to pay.

A typical gig we would play would be you pay the club $100-$200 for that they provide PA and sound guy keep the bar takings but the bands get the door money. I then find a couple of young support bands give them 25 tickets each to sell at $8 a time (or less if they want) from which they pay me $4 for any they sell. If they sell none fine. Another $30 for someone to sit at the door taking tickets and cash for people who just turn up and $80 for a van to move the backline and drums.

So my outgoings are $210. Worst case scenario the two support bands only sell 10 tickets each they still get paid $40 each and my break even is for us to sell just a further 20. Last gig we made a few hundred and the support bands were happy with $60 or $70 each. No one is doing it for the money anyway but it's not pay to play really. If three bands can't find 40 people to come to a gig locally then maybe a 3rd part\y promoter doesn't deserve to be out of pocket.

Small niche bands touring is more complicated and difficult but it is doable because there are still promoters out there willing to take a punt, As far as I can make out most of those bands playing at the 100 people a night rely on merch - mainly $20 vinyl to get by.

Nickdfresh
09-05-2022, 11:25 AM
The 90’s were some lame shit. Put society into a nose dive we never pulled out of. Grohl has become another Sammy Hagar. He won’t go away.

Come on dude, Grohl is no Clichegar. I dunno but if I had to guess Grohl probably can't stand to be around Hagar for more than a few moments and that Sammy would be the one to try to be a tick on Dave's ballsack and bring up collaborating. Whatever you want to say about Grohl be has more taste than that and probably despises Sam and the Guy Fieri doucher types along the lines of a Bourdain disdain for them..

Nickdfresh
09-05-2022, 11:32 AM
"Punk". "Corporate rock". FFS which band signed to a major label ISN'T corporate rock? Again I ain't standing in line to buy a Green Day box set, but were somehow the Sex Pistols less corporate and more legit? Nineties ca$h-grab anyone? The only band of that era that had a major radio-anthem that wasn't really corporate were these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8vBVUaKvk

ZahZoo
09-05-2022, 11:46 AM
Wolfgang at the Taylor Hawkins tribute... Impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_sQJthbJg&ab_channel=Incognito

FORD
09-05-2022, 12:31 PM
Come on dude, Grohl is no Clichegar. I dunno but if I had to guess Grohl probably can't stand to be around Hagar for more than a few moments and that Sammy would be the one to try to be a tick on Dave's ballsack and bring up collaborating. Whatever you want to say about Grohl be has more taste than that and probably despises Sam and the Guy Fieri doucher types along the lines of a Bourdain disdain for them..

Are we sure that Sammy Hagar and Guy Fieri aren't the same person?? :wtf:

Nickdfresh
09-05-2022, 12:39 PM
Are we sure that Sammy Hagar and Guy Fieri aren't the same person?? :wtf:https://www.mashed.com/img/gallery/guy-fieri-and-sammy-hagar-officially-teamed-up-to-create-a-tequila/l-intro-1615937799.jpg
It's verified they've been seen in the same room together (sucking all of the oxygen and life out of it)....

Nitro Express
09-05-2022, 12:55 PM
That's a bit glass half empty though. Bands nowadays can make a multi track single or album and release it themselves internationally on all the streaming platforms for pocket money. They can then use their phones to make a video for a single, edit it with free software and put that out there and publicize it on social media all again for no cash. Back in the day that would have cost at least $100k.

On the pay to play front it depends what you mean, here the model is often effectively the band becomes the promoter so in the same way that missing out the record company taking 80/90% like in the 'good old days, there is no promoter to pay.

A typical gig we would play would be you pay the club $100-$200 for that they provide PA and sound guy keep the bar takings but the bands get the door money. I then find a couple of young support bands give them 25 tickets each to sell at $8 a time (or less if they want) from which they pay me $4 for any they sell. If they sell none fine. Another $30 for someone to sit at the door taking tickets and cash for people who just turn up and $80 for a van to move the backline and drums.

So my outgoings are $210. Worst case scenario the two support bands only sell 10 tickets each they still get paid $40 each and my break even is for us to sell just a further 20. Last gig we made a few hundred and the support bands were happy with $60 or $70 each. No one is doing it for the money anyway but it's not pay to play really. If three bands can't find 40 people to come to a gig locally then maybe a 3rd part\y promoter doesn't deserve to be out of pocket.

Small niche bands touring is more complicated and difficult but it is doable because there are still promoters out there willing to take a punt, As far as I can make out most of those bands playing at the 100 people a night rely on merch - mainly $20 vinyl to get by.

Yeah you can make music and videos cheap and throw it in a ocean of videos and music. You have to have marketing and promotion and that takes lots of $$$$$. Without it you remain a small act.

Nitro Express
09-05-2022, 12:58 PM
https://www.mashed.com/img/gallery/guy-fieri-and-sammy-hagar-officially-teamed-up-to-create-a-tequila/l-intro-1615937799.jpg
It's verified they've been seen in the same room together (sucking all of the oxygen and life out of it)....

They look like amature proctologists. They probably practice on each other.

Terry
09-05-2022, 01:18 PM
Well they could always play Cheap Trick covers instead....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv8eJrcC2K8

Nope, not even gonna click on the link and listen. Thanks anyway.

Terry
09-05-2022, 01:21 PM
"Punk". "Corporate rock". FFS which band signed to a major label ISN'T corporate rock? Again I ain't standing in line to buy a Green Day box set, but were somehow the Sex Pistols less corporate and more legit? Nineties ca$h-grab anyone? The only band of that era that had a major radio-anthem that wasn't really corporate were these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8vBVUaKvk

Whatever, Corporate Punk lover.

Gibby thinks you suck, anyway ; )