PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Fan Documentary - 5 Part Miniseries

Silexxx
05-11-2023, 11:02 AM
https://youtu.be/mtaIh3GIdQM

Here's the first trailer.

Same channel that made the Steve Vai fan doc while ago.

Episode topics will be:

EP1: Building 5150 Studios
EP2: The Road to the US Festival
EP3: The Making of the 1984 Album
Ep4: The 1984 Tour
EP5: Van Halen Breaks Up

ZahZoo
05-12-2023, 09:41 AM
Looking forward to this! It should include material, photos, etc that haven't been seen before plus more inside info on the band's business mess during this era.

ZahZoo
05-12-2023, 09:51 AM
The guy who created this mini-documentary also created an AI generated David Lee Roth voice sample... here's a taste...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y60nTkwk2XI&t=1s&ab_channel=TheTapesArchive

AlanCBerry
05-13-2023, 02:56 PM
Thanks for posting!!

ZahZoo
05-14-2023, 08:47 AM
Happy to spread the word... It's darn nice to see something new coming out about the band even if it's a fresh look at historical aspects. As has been the case the last quarter century... the fans are far more productive and motivated than the band themselves!

Vinnie Velvet
05-16-2023, 01:15 PM
Arguably the most pivotal year in VH history. Its great to examine it.

How the band imploded after ten years of first building themselves up through the clubs, then finally getting a record deal to extensive sold out tours, platinum albums and finally the big album and singles that broke them into the mainstream and established their iconic status.

Terry
05-17-2023, 08:33 AM
As a fan, at the time for me 1984 wasn't an album I immediately liked as much as what came before. Most of that, ironically, had to do with the lead-off (and the band's biggest) single, Jump. I was never quite as over the moon about it as so many others were, in large part because I didn't want the band to start making synths and keyboards a more prominent part of the sound. Also, I found Jump to be...a bit too mannered and radio-friendly in terms of Van Halen and what I liked best about the band. I wasn't much of a fan of I'll Wait, either. Panama WAS a great song far as the singles off that album went, but I never liked Panama quite as much as Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad, House of Pain, Drop Dead Legs and Top Jimmy. Back when it was released, I found myself listening to the second side of the album more than the first and physically skipping the needle over I'll Wait when I did so.

However, in 1984 the band appeared to still be firing on all cylinders and still presented a united front. The demoting of Michael Anthony and the offstage fracture between Roth and the rest of the band were either not known at the time or managed well enough in terms of the public front or pr angle that everything seemed primed for the band to do another record and tour after the 1984 album/tour cycle was over. Even when CFTH first came out, it came off as something Roth did as a lark to me. My reaction at the time wasn't one of "oh, Dave's gonna leave the band soon," or that a split was coming.

Which was what made the split in 1985 and Ed's asshole comments in Rolling Stone so surprising. It seemed like Van Halen were still basically at the top of their game. It wasn't a case of someone in the band dying a la Led Zeppelin. Nor was the band sounding old and tired musically a la Black Sabbath circa Never Say Die.

I gave Van Hagar more than a fair shot...even after 5150 (which I hated), I gave OU812 and F*U*C*K* both a careful listen. By then it was abundantly clear to me that the band for me ended in 1984 and nothing the band was ever gonna do with Hagar was gonna reach what Van Halen with Dave did. Those 2 BOV1 tracks with Roth gave a glimmer of those past triumphs. So did parts of ADKOT. But the best the band had to offer ended in 1984. When I think of Van Halen, I'm thinking of 1978 to 1984. What the band did after Dave left was (obviously, by default) something else, but these days I don't even consider it to be 'Van Halen' after 1984, and the only stuff post-1984 to my ears that gets close are the two Roth BOV1 tracks and the ADKOT album...but even with THAT stuff...after 1984, Van Halen never quite reached the 1978-1984 summit again.

Seshmeister
05-17-2023, 10:16 AM
I'll Wait was probably a bigger warning than Jump. Jump is all keyboards but it's still kind of unique, the clever vocal melody and the off beat pre-chorus make it special. We're all bored out of our minds with it for decades now but it's not just some throwaway synth crap.

I'll Wait is more like formulaic AOR with a good guitar solo which became the Van Hagar model.

Vinnie Velvet
05-17-2023, 12:50 PM
As a fan, at the time for me 1984 wasn't an album I immediately liked as much as what came before. Most of that, ironically, had to do with the lead-off (and the band's biggest) single, Jump. I was never quite as over the moon about it as so many others were, in large part because I didn't want the band to start making synths and keyboards a more prominent part of the sound. Also, I found Jump to be...a bit too mannered and radio-friendly in terms of Van Halen and what I liked best about the band. I wasn't much of a fan of I'll Wait, either. Panama WAS a great song far as the singles off that album went, but I never liked Panama quite as much as Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad, House of Pain, Drop Dead Legs and Top Jimmy. Back when it was released, I found myself listening to the second side of the album more than the first and physically skipping the needle over I'll Wait when I did so.

However, in 1984 the band appeared to still be firing on all cylinders and still presented a united front. The demoting of Michael Anthony and the offstage fracture between Roth and the rest of the band were either not known at the time or managed well enough in terms of the public front or pr angle that everything seemed primed for the band to do another record and tour after the 1984 album/tour cycle was over. Even when CFTH first came out, it came off as something Roth did as a lark to me. My reaction at the time wasn't one of "oh, Dave's gonna leave the band soon," or that a split was coming.

Which was what made the split in 1985 and Ed's asshole comments in Rolling Stone so surprising. It seemed like Van Halen were still basically at the top of their game. It wasn't a case of someone in the band dying a la Led Zeppelin. Nor was the band sounding old and tired musically a la Black Sabbath circa Never Say Die.

I gave Van Hagar more than a fair shot...even after 5150 (which I hated), I gave OU812 and F*U*C*K* both a careful listen. By then it was abundantly clear to me that the band for me ended in 1984 and nothing the band was ever gonna do with Hagar was gonna reach what Van Halen with Dave did. Those 2 BOV1 tracks with Roth gave a glimmer of those past triumphs. So did parts of ADKOT. But the best the band had to offer ended in 1984. When I think of Van Halen, I'm thinking of 1978 to 1984. What the band did after Dave left was (obviously, by default) something else, but these days I don't even consider it to be 'Van Halen' after 1984, and the only stuff post-1984 to my ears that gets close are the two Roth BOV1 tracks and the ADKOT album...but even with THAT stuff...after 1984, Van Halen never quite reached the 1978-1984 summit again.

It all came down to control and certain people being let go.

The factors that led to the eventual breakup:

- Ed building his own studio
- Dave doing CFTH
- Ed not wanting to work with Ted anymore
- Ed and Al (mostly Al) dumping Noel as their manager
- Ed, Al, Dave (Mike I guess didn't have much of a say) not agreeing on virtually anything and no one there to help steer the ship

AlanCBerry
05-17-2023, 01:07 PM
One week from today, I will release the first two episodes of my Van Halen fan documentary. I'm not making any money from this project, but I'd greatly appreciate folks subscribing to my YouTube channel.

Von Halen
05-17-2023, 03:10 PM
One week from today, I will release the first two episodes of my Van Halen fan documentary. I'm not making any money from this project, but I'd greatly appreciate folks subscribing to my YouTube channel.

Definitely!

Geno
05-17-2023, 04:12 PM
Can hardly WAIT to watch this. I was just watching some live videos of the Hagar/Roth "The Other Guys" Tour. ROTH ON!!

AlanCBerry
05-18-2023, 03:40 PM
Have you ever been so wasted you got a David Lee Roth tramp stamp? ������

ZahZoo
05-25-2023, 08:41 AM
Episode 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJGSS7Z9tLY&ab_channel=TheTapesArchive

ZahZoo
05-25-2023, 09:00 AM
Episode 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ullfb2P_R9s&ab_channel=TheTapesArchive

Vinnie Velvet
05-26-2023, 08:56 AM
I say the doc so far is very well done.

But I'm thinking this seems like another slagfest on Dave while not looking at the faults of Eddie or Alex. Sure Dave was drunk during the US performance. So what. He sill delivered under those circumstances. And the focusing on the "I forgot the fucking words" bit. We all know that was a staged thing Dave was doing during the Diver Down tour.

For years Dave was painted as the main villain in the 1985 breakup when we all know it was all of them (Dave, Ed and Al) and their actions that led to the fall.

ZahZoo
05-26-2023, 09:36 AM
I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes which appear to be a good setup to the breakdown within the band heading into 1984 and its implosion.

VV... while there was some coverage to Roth and his difficulties, there was references to the dark side of Eddie as well. I believe the narrator mentioned it will delve more into Ed's roles in this. It will be interesting to see if more is turned up regarding Alex's role/contribution to the mess. I feel he gets off far too easy in uncovering the problems within the band yet remained a key figure in all the bullshit...

Von Halen
05-26-2023, 10:57 AM
Goosebumps. Not a lot of new info for me, but I like it.

Vinnie Velvet
05-26-2023, 11:21 AM
I really enjoyed the first 2 episodes which appear to be a good setup to the breakdown within the band heading into 1984 and its implosion.

VV... while there was some coverage to Roth and his difficulties, there was references to the dark side of Eddie as well. I believe the narrator mentioned it will delve more into Ed's roles in this. It will be interesting to see if more is turned up regarding Alex's role/contribution to the mess. I feel he gets off far too easy in uncovering the problems within the band yet remained a key figure in all the bullshit...

Agreed.

For instance, Al was the driving force behind dumping Monk. I'm not saying Monk was a great manager. Maybe he was great at getting the band good deals but not great at managing their personalities clearly.

But making big management personnel decisions, I would think the entire band has to have some kind of consensus. Even with dumping Ted. Ed didnt want to work with him anymore. That doesn't mean Dave didn't as well.

And then what about Ed and Al's alcoholism? Drinking all day and then working at night wasn't productive.

Kristy
05-26-2023, 11:37 AM
Sure beats Roth's own podcast.

ZahZoo
05-26-2023, 12:33 PM
Goosebumps. Not a lot of new info for me, but I like it.

It's nice seeing all the details organized in a chronological order rather than bit's n pieces all over the place.

Looking at the old video... man, that was a long time ago and the world has changed significantly!

Vinnie Velvet
05-26-2023, 12:38 PM
It's nice seeing all the details organized in a chronological order rather than bit's n pieces all over the place.

Looking at the old video... man, that was a long time ago and the world has changed significantly!

And not for the better I might add.

Seshmeister
05-26-2023, 08:46 PM

I find it a constant surprise and I'm many many many years younger than you so it must be crazy for you. :)

Same amount of time between 1984 and now and 1984 and the the Omaha Beach thing in Saving Private Ryan...

Seshmeister
05-26-2023, 08:47 PM
And not for the better I might add.

A lot of things are better. For example Sundays used to be a fucking drag.

Seshmeister
05-26-2023, 09:03 PM

Great job!

Seshmeister
05-26-2023, 09:22 PM
I'd never looked at the Van Halen US Festival rider before. 25 Pounds of M&Ms is a lot. That's removing the brown M & Ms from 252 bags...

Nitro Express
05-28-2023, 02:33 AM
Episode 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJGSS7Z9tLY&ab_channel=TheTapesArchive

Val’s brother Drew was the contractor. David Bertinelli told some stories about building 5150.

Vinnie Velvet
05-29-2023, 02:21 PM
I'm telling you guys, the documentary dude must be a Hagar lover.

He's gonna paint Dave to be the main reason CVH broke up and will even try to downplay his contributions overall to the band.

If I were Al, I'd take down the videos.

silverfish
06-02-2023, 10:58 AM
Checked to see if episode 3 was up yet and find that the first two segments are no longer in the Video
section. The trailer is still there and when I clicked on ep 2 from my favorites I got a "Video Is Private"
screen.

Vinnie Velvet
06-02-2023, 11:18 AM
Checked to see if episode 3 was up yet and find that the first two segments are no longer in the Video
section. The trailer is still there and when I clicked on ep 2 from my favorites I got a "Video Is Private"
screen.

VH's attorneys got to it no doubt.

Al most likely shut it down. Or it could be that there was too much copyright stuff the doc was using without permission.

Nitro Express
06-03-2023, 05:38 AM
YouTube is strict on copy rights. It’s probably copy right infringement that got it flagged. Mike did say Alex is very protective of the VH legacy.

twonabomber
06-03-2023, 10:00 AM
Maybe Sammy reported it...because he can't find a way to profit off of it! :D

ZahZoo
06-04-2023, 08:40 AM
Looking at his other documentaries and tons of other live footage and home recordings of copyright materials similar to this work posted on youtube... I'd say this has VH camp stunk all over it... If Eddie were still around he'd say Dave did it...

Von Halen
06-04-2023, 03:29 PM
Once again VH shits on its fans. By far, the worst band in the world to be a super fan of.

Terry
06-04-2023, 08:00 PM
Once again VH shits on its fans. By far, the worst band in the world to be a super fan of.

Yeah, well, the band made 6 great albums. I still get pleasure listening to that music.

The band (or their former record company) can rerelease as many reissues of the back catalog as they like. Long term, what the band did after 1984 doesn't matter much to me anyway.

Von Halen
06-05-2023, 06:13 AM
Yeah, well, the band made 6 great albums. I still get pleasure listening to that music.

The band (or their former record company) can rerelease as many reissues of the back catalog as they like. Long term, what the band did after 1984 doesn't matter much to me anyway.

7 great albums.

I don't give a fuck after '84 either. But as Mike recently stated, there is tons of pro shot and soundboard recorded live shows. I am more than interested in that stuff.

Vinnie Velvet
06-05-2023, 10:25 AM
7 great albums.

I don't give a fuck after '84 either. But as Mike recently stated, there is tons of pro shot and soundboard recorded live shows. I am more than interested in that stuff.

Alex can help put together a massive CVH box set "Live Anthology" including the pre-78 stuff like club gigs but for whatever reason its not seeing the light of day.

What's stopping Al from doing this? Is it Wolf?

If he's so protective of the legacy why not showcase the band at its very best (CVH years).

FORD
06-05-2023, 11:02 AM
I doubt most of those club gigs would ever get a commercial release since most of those recordings sounded like shit. The one show they could easily release would be the Pasadena Community Center concert from 1977. That was definitely an "official" recording by somebody connected to the band or Warner Bros, considering the show was just after they signed with the label, since they were announced as "Warner Brothers recording artists".

Vinnie Velvet
06-05-2023, 11:37 AM
I doubt most of those club gigs would ever get a commercial release since most of those recordings sounded like shit. The one show they could easily release would be the Pasadena Community Center concert from 1977. That was definitely an "official" recording by somebody connected to the band or Warner Bros, considering the show was just after they signed with the label, since they were announced as "Warner Brothers recording artists".

That one could certainly be part of a box set.

Seshmeister
06-05-2023, 03:58 PM

That was the first bootleg I ever got of any band.

Made every other bootleg I heard sound shit in comparison.

My dumb fan question for EVH was always going to be why the fuck did you shorten the SBGMAD guitar solo from that show when you recorded it a couple of years later? :)

Nitro Express
06-05-2023, 04:35 PM

My advice is forget about it. Life goes on.

Nitro Express
06-05-2023, 04:40 PM
Alex can help put together a massive CVH box set "Live Anthology" including the pre-78 stuff like club gigs but for whatever reason its not seeing the light of day.

If he's so protective of the legacy why not showcase the band at its very best (CVH years).

When did Alex ever care about the fans? He was well known to dodge them. The only person who really was friendly with the fans was Mike.

Nitro Express
06-05-2023, 04:43 PM
Look. They don’t care about you. Both Al and Wolf have their fuck you money. Wolf gets more pleasure shitting on fans than he would from the money he would make releasing stuff. Oh you liked my dad but hate me. Suck my big fat ass you Schlebbs!

ZahZoo
06-05-2023, 05:00 PM

I have no clue where Alex's head is at regarding the legacy and releasing old material... but the thought did occur to me that from the inception of Van Halen the band thru the Dave era and into the Hagar years was prior to Alex getting sober. Odds are he may harbor a lot of past demons and not necessarily view that material as positively as we, the fans, do...

It may be a matter of leaving the past as it is rather than revisit it from a deeply personal perspective for Alex and also his life with Edward... Something to consider.

Terry
06-05-2023, 08:19 PM
7 great albums.

I wouldn't say ADKOT is a bad album...just not listening to it much anymore...it was (I assume) about as good as the band could do circa 2009-2012 considering, I suppose.

Would still be interested in CVH pro shot live shows (perhaps a little less so with solely audio live stuff in that even if, say, every CVH gig ever played had been recorded by the band via the soundboard it wouldn't be a case of me actually wanting to hear every single CVH live show ever). If that stuff gets released, great. If not, the bootlegged stuff I've got already along with the stuff I don't that has surfaced online will (obviously) have to suffice.

Vinnie Velvet
06-06-2023, 10:49 AM
I have no clue where Alex's head is at regarding the legacy and releasing old material... but the thought did occur to me that from the inception of Van Halen the band thru the Dave era and into the Hagar years was prior to Alex getting sober. Odds are he may harbor a lot of past demons and not necessarily view that material as positively as we, the fans, do...

It may be a matter of leaving the past as it is rather than revisit it from a deeply personal perspective for Alex and also his life with Edward... Something to consider.

I'm not sure what Al is thinking.

There was an interview with someone close to the VH camp around the time before Tokyo Dome was released.

Apparently the band was indeed trying to release a club gig from the old days. I'm not sure what this was, year or what show. Maybe they were thinking of the Pasadena 77 show. Dont know.

But that's what part of the plan was after ADKOT.

Why didn't it happen? Apparently they didn't like how the kick drum sounded LOL.

And for whatever reason that project was shelved and we got Tokyo Dome instead.

Von Halen
06-06-2023, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't say ADKOT is a bad album...just not listening to it much anymore...

I listen to it semi regularly. I think it is a great album, just wish it would have come out way before it did.

(perhaps a little less so with solely audio live stuff in that even if, say, every CVH gig ever played had been recorded by the band via the soundboard it wouldn't be a case of me actually wanting to hear every single CVH live show ever).

I would listen to every one of them!

ZahZoo
06-11-2023, 02:24 PM
From Alan who produced the documentary posted at VHLinks...

Hi everyone, sorry I have been quiet about what happened with my Van Halen videos. I'm working hard to get the videos back up and should know something in the next 10 days or so. Once this is resolved, I will give everyone the backstory. Thanks for your patience. -Alan

silverfish
06-11-2023, 06:56 PM
Good to hear. I'd really like to see the remaining 3 eps.

Seshmeister
06-11-2023, 10:56 PM
Look. They don’t care about you. Both Al and Wolf have their fuck you money. Wolf gets more pleasure shitting on fans than he would from the money he would make releasing stuff.

I think it's very likely Wolf has that thing that most people who have been born with an insane advantage in life whereby they think they achieved it themselves. His is an extreme example but in my experience people born as rich kids in general usually don't think about how the education and network of people their parents give them access to is why they are doing so well rather than their own work and ability.

It's too uncomfortable for someone like that to compare themselves with all the thousands of guys their own age who worked much harder and were much more talented getting nowhere.

ZahZoo
06-15-2023, 08:46 AM
Further updates from Alan as posted at VHLinks...

Here is a quick update on the status of my Van Halen documentary. The videos are now in the hands of the mighty Alex Van Halen. If anyone has contact with him, please let him know if you want to see my doc. I will give you all the details soon. -Alan

Edit: To clarify…he has the videos to watch and approve or squash the project. Before last week he knew nothing about the videos. I would happily give him ownership if he would let fans see it.

Von Halen
06-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Let's hope Al does the right thing for the fans. I don't hold much hope.

Vinnie Velvet
06-15-2023, 09:32 AM
Let's hope Al does the right thing for the fans. I don't hold much hope.

If he finds anything in there that he doesn't like or thinks is not accurate the videos will never see the light of day.

ZahZoo
06-15-2023, 12:54 PM
I wonder how many times Alex will view it and go... "wait a minute... is that what happened? Nobody told me... "

Von Halen
06-15-2023, 01:38 PM
I suppose if it is pro Clichegar as some here have suggested, Al will never let it see the light of day. I'd have to agree with him in that case!

twonabomber
06-15-2023, 04:18 PM
I wonder how many times Alex will view it and go... "wait a minute... is that what happened? Nobody told me... "

Or "where was I?"

ZahZoo
06-15-2023, 05:49 PM
I suppose if it is pro Clichegar as some here have suggested, Al will never let it see the light of day. I'd have to agree with him in that case!

I believe it only covers 1983 up thru the breakup with Dave in 1985...

Vinnie Velvet
06-16-2023, 09:43 AM
I believe it only covers 1983 up thru the breakup with Dave in 1985...

I think its reference to the doc being skewed towards Dave being the main culprit of the breakup. When we all know thats just how Eddie and Co. painted it post 1985.

One of the things that I noticed in one part of the narration is that he referred to Dave as Ed's "nemesis" which is ridiculous.

They were partners in this big thing they helped create. Sure, they were at odds in terms of conflicts with certain direction to take songs, band stuff, etc.

But nemesis is a bit too far. Especially taking into account the time period of 1983.

ZahZoo
06-16-2023, 12:14 PM
Well, Dave was the primary culprit of the breakup. How can you frame it any other way..? He was the one who wanted to go off and do the movie and released a solo EP...

Not saying Ed, Alex and management weren't innocent victims in what transpired, but Dave made the moves himself that led to the breakup.

Vinnie Velvet
06-16-2023, 12:46 PM
Well, Dave was the primary culprit of the breakup. How can you frame it any other way..? He was the one who wanted to go off and do the movie and released a solo EP...

Not saying Ed, Alex and management weren't innocent victims in what transpired, but Dave made the moves himself that led to the breakup.

For years Ed noodled and did outside projects. Of course not high profile cause mainly he wasnt a singer.

Dave didn't want to leave the band but wanted to do the EP and the movie. After six albums and a grueling 10-12 years of first clubbing then endless headline touring, why not?

Was that so bad? Freddie Mercury for instance did a solo thing but that didn't break up Queen.

Ed just couldn't handle the fact that CFTH did very well for an EP. And the videos were in regular rotation and very popular.

I mean, all that benefitted the next CVH album. More exposure. Guess Ed didnt see it that way.

twonabomber
06-16-2023, 01:35 PM
Funny that Al is going after this and they didn't go after the "Early Years" thing.

Vinnie Velvet
06-16-2023, 03:22 PM
Funny that Al is going after this and they didn't go after the "Early Years" thing.

Perhaps post-Ed passing he's trying to be more aware of what's out there.

Rikk
06-16-2023, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't say ADKOT is a bad album...just not listening to it much anymore...

I respect this opinion...but I have to say: my personal feelings are NOT the same.

I waited for decades (literally) for something like ADKOT to be recorded/released. I was 9 when I found out that there would be no follow-up to 1984 (which was my first album I got by my new favorite band). I was crushed when I heard Dave left. I actually DID NOT see the point in the band releasing anything else. Dave was the reason I got into VH. My whole life changed when I saw the JUMP video at the tender age of 8. I loved the musicians...but Dave was the reason I became a fan.

I tried to listen to some of the Hagar stuff...but even at that young age, I thought: "Now they sound like so many other bands...bands I don't like." I didn't like Journey. I didn't want VH to turn into another Journey.

I listen to it semi regularly. I think it is a great album, just wish it would have come out way before it did.

Exactly my thoughts. I've rarely been as excited as I was in 2011-12 for a new album. I didn't feel the same "almost my whole world is depending on this" excitement I felt when I heard Sam was out & Dave was back in the summer of '96. Not even close. The band had fucked fans over so many times between 1996 and 2012. BUT...having a new VH album with Dave in 2012...I was so fucking stoked.

AND...almost nothing about A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH is lacking for me. Sure...I don't like the mix and compressed sound as much as the 6-pack. And sure...Dave's voice is not what it was during the original years.

But I was NEVER one of those fans angry that Mike wasn't included. I saw the reunion tour twice and thought Wolfgang held his own on bass...and the backing vocals, while not as good as in the original days, were fine.

Frankly, I was kind of satisfied seeing Mike kicked out finally. I thought he was a traitor for following Hagar in the years before the 2007 reunion. AND...I'll never forget reading Mike in an interview around 1996, admitting that he was the one band member who especially didn't want Roth to return. He even admitted that he told the brothers he really didn't want Roth back. I remember reading that and thinking, "Maybe they should can your fat ass and keep Roth."

Refreshing to hear VON saying he considers ADKOT one of the 7 VH albums he thoroughly enjoys. I LOVE IT. The songs are great, Dave's lyrics are great (often an improvement over the lyrics on the original '76 and '77 demos)...and the band smokes. It's the true return of Van Halen.

To me: top-notch Van Halen is those first six albums (I love all six), the two songs from BEST OF (I still love both of those songs, especially ME WISE MAGIC, and listen to them regularly) and A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH. I still listen to it regularly. SHE'S THE WOMAN, YOU & YOUR BLUES, CHINA TOWN, BLOOD & FIRE, BULLETHEAD, OUTTA SPACE (LET'S GET ROCKIN' still has the better solo), STAY FROSTY, BIG RIVER & BEATS WORKIN' are all still prime Van Halen to me. I even like TATTOO. Even the three songs I don't like quite as much as the rest of the album (AS IS, HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL and THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER) are still solid Van Halen for me. There's not one track I don't like.

The only thing I would like would be a solid remix of ADKOT with less compression and more high-end in the sound. But considering how many possible releases are on VH fans' wishlists, I'm not holding my breath.

I would love to see some pro-shot Blu-Rays of classic-era (or even reunion era) live gigs to see release...or even another live era. I can't believe they think fans should be excited over a re-release of LIVE: RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW. That's a terrible live album. Just terrible. (Even LIVE WITHOUT A NET is much better than RHRN.)

BUT (and again, I'm not holding my breath)...the coolest thing the band could do (besides some vault releases of studio outtakes from the 6-pack, including the remixed '77 demos...all this was compiled in the mid-2000s but never got band approval for release) would be for Wolf & Al to go through the 5150 vaults, compile a bunch of instrumental outtakes Ed recorded during all those years he had his studio, get Dave down to the studio to turn them into finished songs with new vocals...and put it out as another album. THAT would be great. Basically an 8th Van Halen album.

BUT...I'm not holding my breath.

Silexxx
06-30-2023, 10:51 AM
https://youtu.be/13JrKjGBnHA

Episode 2 uploaded on Dave's YouTube now.

ZahZoo
06-30-2023, 11:53 AM
Update as posted on VHLinks by Alan...

Episodes 1 & 2 are back up on youtube. Plus episode 2 is posted on Dave's youtube channel...

Thanks to Diamond David Lee Roth, my videos are back up. I will let everyone know later what happened.

Vinnie Velvet
06-30-2023, 02:45 PM
Interesting. Saw that Dave posted it on his socials.

Nickdfresh
06-30-2023, 03:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JrKjGBnHA

twonabomber
06-30-2023, 03:46 PM
um...

Rikk
06-30-2023, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I just saw that. Interesting.

I had already downloaded the first two episodes, but I'm hoping we get to see the others soon too.

Heater
06-30-2023, 05:23 PM
For years Ed noodled and did outside projects. Of course not high profile cause mainly he wasnt a singer.

Dave didn't want to leave the band but wanted to do the EP and the movie. After six albums and a grueling 10-12 years of first clubbing then endless headline touring, why not?

Was that so bad? Freddie Mercury for instance did a solo thing but that didn't break up Queen.

Ed just couldn't handle the fact that CFTH did very well for an EP. And the videos were in regular rotation and very popular.

I mean, all that benefitted the next CVH album. More exposure. Guess Ed didnt see it that way.

I think playing the solo on “Beat It”, a song on the highest selling album of all time, overshadowed Dave’s kicky remake of California Girls. I think that irked Dave to no end, Ed getting all this attention without trying meanwhile all Roth ever did was try to get attention. I can’t, however, disagree with what Dave said about Ed’s contribution to MJ’s album…..”he goes over there and plays the same solo he does on every song”.

ZahZoo
06-30-2023, 05:24 PM
Cleanup on isle Nick...

Nickdfresh
06-30-2023, 10:20 PM
Cleanup on isle Nick...

Well fuck my life, can't always shit nuggets of gold...

Nickdfresh
06-30-2023, 10:21 PM
I'll merge it tomorrow...

ZahZoo
07-01-2023, 09:12 AM
Well the shit shows has returned and the videos were taken down again... The following are posts by Alan at VHLinks...

This story gets crazier and crazier. Yesterday went from an extreme high back to down to almost square one. I can't wait to fill you all in. But for now, I have to zip it back up.

I thought about it. But man, I'm ready to move the fuck on. lol..I will probably just do a podcast and then go on with my life.

I can confirm Al is a complete douche.

Nitro Express
07-01-2023, 01:33 PM
I think it's very likely Wolf has that thing that most people who have been born with an insane advantage in life whereby they think they achieved it themselves. His is an extreme example but in my experience people born as rich kids in general usually don't think about how the education and network of people their parents give them access to is why they are doing so well rather than their own work and ability.

It's too uncomfortable for someone like that to compare themselves with all the thousands of guys their own age who worked much harder and were much more talented getting nowhere.

In other words Wolfie is a spoiled brat. Well he grew up with more jingle but you probably wouldn’t want to trade your life with his. He’s a miserable fuck.

Nitro Express
07-01-2023, 01:37 PM
Alex is like Wolfgang. He hates the fans. He always did. He would purposely dodge them. Probably the biggest fan hater in the band. Fans were chumps to take money from and fuck. No reason to care about them because you can piss all over them and they still have to have Van Halen.

Nitro Express
07-01-2023, 01:42 PM
Looks like Al is going to have to die. Anyways his wife and kids will cash in. Watch Wolfie sue but maybe then the fans get their fix.

Nitro Express
07-01-2023, 02:13 PM
What I learned from the US Festival is a chain link fence is not going to get in the way of a few thousand people determined to take a shortcut.

Nitro Express
07-01-2023, 02:15 PM
We were supposed to go surfing the next day but we were so fucked up that wasn’t happening.

Heater
07-02-2023, 12:12 PM
Look. They don’t care about you. Both Al and Wolf have their fuck you money. Wolf gets more pleasure shitting on fans than he would from the money he would make releasing stuff. Oh you liked my dad but hate me. Suck my big fat ass you Schlebbs!

Wolf does kinda shit on fans, living in his dad’s shadow must get to him. But it’s funny how he has no problem milking being Ed’s son at the same time, “ I’m using pop’s OG guitar on my next album”. When his band’s popularity levels off or dips a bit he will start playing the “occasional” CVH tune.

Vinnie Velvet
07-06-2023, 04:37 PM
Alex is like Wolfgang. He hates the fans. He always did. He would purposely dodge them. Probably the biggest fan hater in the band. Fans were chumps to take money from and fuck. No reason to care about them because you can piss all over them and they still have to have Van Halen.

It appears the main culprit in the entire Van Halen saga has always been Alex.

Eddie always listened to Al more than anyone. Right or wrong.

Should we do a live album? (during CVH era) Alex says no. So no live album.

Alex says we should fire Noel and move on. Alex gets his way. Ed reluctantly agrees.

I bet it was Alex who told Ed to that we can't wait around for Dave to do his movie. Time to move on and find a new singer.

Mike is now playing with Sam? Alex tells Ed time to dump Mike. Its either VH or nothing.

And on and on....

ZahZoo
07-07-2023, 09:40 AM
Yep and it's now Alex and WB blocking this fan produced documentary.

The current status from Alan is he's working to remove all officially released Van Halen music from the videos so the story can be shared without any actual Van Halen music included. Also blurring out any clips from officially released video content.

Vinnie Velvet
07-07-2023, 11:11 AM
Yep and it's now Alex and WB blocking this fan produced documentary.

The current status from Alan is he's working to remove all officially released Van Halen music from the videos so the story can be shared without any actual Van Halen music included. Also blurring out any clips from officially released video content.

Are you serious??

Seriously something is wrong with Alex.

Mind boggling. What a way to bury the great legend of his band. Total idiot.

ZahZoo
07-07-2023, 03:10 PM
Yeah serious... you can check Alan's Facebook feed for his updates in the comments section of his post with the original band photo...

https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=the%20tapes%20archive

FORD
07-07-2023, 04:46 PM
"Music documentaries" that don't include the actual music being talked about are completely worthless. You can find a shitload of those on Tubi. But I wouldn't recommend trying to sit through any of them. And yeah.. there's even one about Van Halen (https://tubitv.com/movies/515891/the-van-halen-story-the-early-years).

Seshmeister
07-07-2023, 07:12 PM
Yup...

ZahZoo
07-09-2023, 02:49 PM
Just sharing for those with an interest who don't visit VHLinks... From Alan:

I posted this over in the Steve Hoffman forum, but I thought maybe I should post this here too. Some great fans here.

Here goes..lol...I love this fuking forum cuz you all are truly who I make my videos for, fans of music. We may disagree on things, but we all love the music.

I know it fu&&ing sucks that I have to post the videos without VH music. But at this point, it's either that or not "officially" releasing them at all. I HATE docs that use cheeseball stock music. So, I use stock music as little as possible in my new edits. But in some parts, I need something; otherwise, it just sounds awkward. But I also do some creative ways to use other known bands' music. (You'll see what I mean when you watch it.) It's not better than the real thing, but it's not horrible. (Or I have delusionally made myself think it's okay.)

I'm using zero VH officially released music except where I can legitimately use Fair Use. The challenge with Fair Use is you only know if it's Fair Use once a judge decides. (Yes, I've checked with a lawyer.) I could use Fair Use 100% as intended, and WB could still sue me, and it will only be decided once a judge decides. Using a bootleg for the music bed is still copyright infringement. VH may not own the bootleg, but they always own the song. This is why using cover versions is out of the question too.
I'm blurring out videos I know 100% VH owns to play it safe. IE Jump and Pamana videos. I use other VH videos where ownership is a little greyer. Why not replace the videos instead of being lazy and just blurring them out? In some cases, I have replaced them; in others, I have gotten lazy because I need to finish this.

So why didn't you drop all episodes at the same time? Initially, that was the plan. But then I thought, what if, by chance, VH did have an issue with my videos? They could have copyrighted struck my channel out of existence. (It only takes 3) This is why I was dribbling them out.

To everyone that has said, why not just use Dropbox or Rumble or whatever...As others have pointed out...Now I'm distributing copyrighted material for which I received a cease and desist notice. I am opening myself to an absolute legal nightmare. But 20 people, or more, have the entire series exactly how I intend them to be. I had a circle of trusted VH insiders and buddies I shared copies with for their feedback. Plus, other people that I interviewed who I shared them with as well. TBH, I'm surprised none of those copies have leaked, or maybe they have, and I just don't know it. I guess at some point, you will see a torrent or a trader with the full versions of all the episodes. But let me be clear I will have zero to do with that. If someone else leaks my videos, that's their call, but I can't. DON'T EVER PAY FOR THEM.

Moving forward: Yesterday, I sent the WB lawyers my revamped version of EP1, hoping they would tell me if they see any issues. I doubt I will hear back. I'm just trying to save myself from posting the video and then them sending me another cease and desist, me having to take it back down, re-edit, and post it again. If I don't hear back, I will post Ep1 next Wednesday. Then repeat the cycle in two weeks with Ep3, etc. To be fair to the WB lawyers, they did not copyright strike my channel when they could have, so I want to be respectful of them too.

One thing I want to make very clear here...I have no one else to blame for all of this than myself. From the first day, I started to write the script, I knew this was all a gamble. VH has the absolute right to do with their IP as they want, even if it seems dicky. In my mind, it would be okay because if you look on YoutTube, it appears that VH does next to no policing of their music. You can look on eBay and buy a bootleg copy of the US Festival etc.. Everywhere I looked VH was not doing much to stop people from making money off of their copyright/trademark. So why would they care if a fan made videos on them where he made no money? I was wrong. So now I'm trying to make lemonade and move on.

There is more to tell about this story, but I need to move on with my day for now. Thanks, everyone, for all the great comments of support.

Nitro Express
07-09-2023, 03:54 PM
It appears the main culprit in the entire Van Halen saga has always been Alex.

Eddie always listened to Al more than anyone. Right or wrong.

Should we do a live album? (during CVH era) Alex says no. So no live album.

Alex says we should fire Noel and move on. Alex gets his way. Ed reluctantly agrees.

I bet it was Alex who told Ed to that we can't wait around for Dave to do his movie. Time to move on and find a new singer.

Mike is now playing with Sam? Alex tells Ed time to dump Mike. Its either VH or nothing.

And on and on....

Al was a thug who used and coasted on the coat tails of his more talented brother. Ed could be nice. You hear a lot of people say that about him. You never hear people say how nice Al was. Al was a self-centered dork.

ZahZoo
07-14-2023, 10:02 AM
Episode 1 is back up on youtube.com. Alan has had a guy, TomShreds, volunteer to create backing tracks "in the spirit of VH" to replace the copyrighted VH music previously included.

Here's a sample of TomShreds work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOfsjxV-96M&ab_channel=TomShreds

Here's a link to the edited Ep 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arohd5umLgc&t=1s&ab_channel=TheTapesArchive

ZahZoo
07-21-2023, 09:10 AM
Teaser for episode 3 The Making of 1984 scheduled to be released July 26th.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/l5w_sTXnU9w

Vinnie Velvet
07-21-2023, 10:07 AM
The blurring out the videos and not playing actual VH tracks is ridiculous.

Al is a cunt.

ZahZoo
07-21-2023, 10:21 AM
I agree... Van Halen loses nothing if the original music and videos were included. In reality, they will miss revenue opportunities from people with little to no VH history who viewed this decided to purchase some of their music. The generic filler doesn't capture the power of the original stuff...

But frankly the story is the critical part of all this... or at least the part I find most compelling.

Silexxx
07-26-2023, 09:40 AM
https://youtu.be/SxwxO8ruabY?si=zTB95n6F4_UYuAIq

Episode 3!

Von Halen
07-26-2023, 11:17 AM
I wonder if Dave's "AI Voice" sings better than Dave these days? :D

Von Halen
07-26-2023, 11:53 AM
I feel bad for you Alan. You put in a lot of work, for those idiots to fuck it up.

For those of us that have been around from the beginning of this band, we know just how un fan friendly they were/are. It's a shame you put in all that work, to have it fucked up by the record company and what's left of the band. Why they seem to not want any free promotion, is beyond me. Hell, why they seem to not want any promotion, is beyond me. I've always said I wished Van Halen were more like Kiss and Gene Simmons, and gave the fans the opportunity to purchase more from them than we already did. I have so longed for an official pro shot release of one of the old live shows. I can get one from 99.9% of the bands out there, even going way back before it was customary to film live shows. I just don't get it. Never will.

ZahZoo
07-27-2023, 03:34 PM
I enjoyed Episode 3... there was a few things I don't recall hearing before like the full details about Michael McDonald's involvement with I'll Wait and the Simmons drum approach with the intro to Hot For Teacher.

Looking forward to episode 4!!

Rikk
07-27-2023, 05:35 PM
I feel bad for you Alan. You put in a lot of work, for those idiots to fuck it up.

For those of us that have been around from the beginning of this band, we know just how un fan friendly they were/are. It's a shame you put in all that work, to have it fucked up by the record company and what's left of the band. Why they seem to not want any free promotion, is beyond me. Hell, why they seem to not want any promotion, is beyond me. I've always said I wished Van Halen were more like Kiss and Gene Simmons, and gave the fans the opportunity to purchase more from them than we already did. I have so longed for an official pro shot release of one of the old live shows. I can get one from 99.9% of the bands out there, even going way back before it was customary to film live shows. I just don't get it. Never will.

Whether people like or hate the Grateful Dead (I do like them), Van Halen could have used a page out of the Dead's playbook. When most bands were freaking out about fans taping shows or trading tapes (including soundboard gigs), the Dead embraced it. Some years back, they took literally every soundboard show they had in their archives onto the web for free downloads. Now, they release multiple shows every year on CD (and download) and even vinyl. In amazing quality. They even listen to fans about what gigs they want or from what period. During COVID, they threw something like eight unreleased filmed concerts on YouTube for free (the shows are still on their official YouTube channel).

THAT is how you treat fans. You encourage the fandom...give the fans things to look forward to. VH fans have to make do with a handful of albums, two live albums (one with Sam, so that doesn't really count) and a few bad bootlegs. That's it. And it sucks. It makes it harder to keep listening to the band if there's so little to listen to that you haven't already heard a million times.

It sucks even more when one reads books about the making of albums like 1984, reading song titles of songs that WERE recorded...knowing we'll probably never hear these songs.

Christ, when the Dead did remasters of all their studio albums, even those came with virtually all the band's unreleased songs as bonuses for each album.

NO BAND hates their fans like Van Halen.

FORD
07-27-2023, 06:15 PM
The Grateful Dead box set of their Warner Brothers years, "The Golden Road" is a textbook example of how a box set should be done. All of the albums are pretty much double the original length with bonus tracks & live material. Even the Europe 72 album - which was originally a triple album on vinyl - managed to find some extras for the remaster. And there's a 2 disc set of the bands early stuff before they signed with WB. Not to mention the packaging itself was first class.

They did a similar box set for their Arista years, but I never got around to buying that one.... wasn't sure I wanted to pay for those disco-saturated albums from the late 70s, and I already had the discs from before and after that period.

I have said several times (everytime rumors of a VH box came up) that they would do wise to follow the Grateful Dead's example.

AlanCBerry
07-29-2023, 07:06 AM

Thanks, man! I did this to myself, I knew it was a gamble. Of course, I disagree with WB/Al but it's 100% their right. From what I understand Al is not a great person to deal with. I feel bad for him that he can't enjoy the legacy that he help built. He should be having a fun with re-releases, digging through the archives, creating new merch, etc. Ride the Van Halen train out in style, etc. Now I do feel bad for Mike, Roth and even Sammy. They want to glorify VH etc, yet it always goes back to Debbie Downer Al saying "no".

AlanCBerry
07-29-2023, 07:10 AM
Whether people like or hate the Grateful Dead (I do like them), Van Halen could have used a page out of the Dead's playbook. When most bands were freaking out about fans taping shows or trading tapes (including soundboard gigs), the Dead embraced it. Some years back, they took literally every soundboard show they had in their archives onto the web for free downloads. Now, they release multiple shows every year on CD (and download) and even vinyl. In amazing quality. They even listen to fans about what gigs they want or from what period. During COVID, they threw something like eight unreleased filmed concerts on YouTube for free (the shows are still on their official YouTube channel).

THAT is how you treat fans. You encourage the fandom...give the fans things to look forward to. VH fans have to make do with a handful of albums, two live albums (one with Sam, so that doesn't really count) and a few bad bootlegs. That's it. And it sucks. It makes it harder to keep listening to the band if there's so little to listen to that you haven't already heard a million times.

It sucks even more when one reads books about the making of albums like 1984, reading song titles of songs that WERE recorded...knowing we'll probably never hear these songs.

Christ, when the Dead did remasters of all their studio albums, even those came with virtually all the band's unreleased songs as bonuses for each album.

NO BAND hates their fans like Van Halen.

Want to hear something crazy? The president of Rhino, Mark Pinkus, is a huge Dead fan. Yet his company is the one who sent me the cease and desist. I'd really like to ask him why.

AlanCBerry
08-03-2023, 09:35 AM
I got my hands on one of the best David Lee Roth interviews I have ever heard. Down to earth, open, funny, intelligent, coherent, self-deprecating, and honest. I'd love to know what you all think of it. I posted it on my podcast and YouTube channel if you want to check it out. I have an Eddie one coming too.

https://youtu.be/uvWGDJU0Lok

Rikk
08-03-2023, 06:26 PM
Want to hear something crazy? The president of Rhino, Mark Pinkus, is a huge Dead fan. Yet his company is the one who sent me the cease and desist. I'd really like to ask him why.

That's incredible.

My God, the ONLY thing a film like yours can do is make fans even more excited about the band. It can whet their appetites for OFFICIAL archive releases or an OFFICIAL documentary.

I was SO, SO psyched to watch this freaking thing. My daughter & I were going to sit and marathon watch all 5 parts. I'd still like to see it...but I can only imagine the effort you put into the final edit, with REAL Van Halen music backing up what's happening in the film.

AlanCBerry
08-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Just a heads up! Coming this week, Ep4.

ThatArtGuy
08-07-2023, 01:51 AM
Part 5 will be.... interesting, I think.

AlanCBerry
08-07-2023, 06:23 AM
Part 5 will be.... interesting, I think.

I think it's my favorite episode.

Seshmeister
08-07-2023, 06:26 PM
I wonder if Dave's "AI Voice" sings better than Dave these days? :D

This is the first use of AI voices I've come across that was actually a good thing...

AlanCBerry
08-09-2023, 09:53 AM
Out now

https://youtu.be/iZrf7dckYhA

Rikk
08-09-2023, 10:28 AM
Out now

https://youtu.be/iZrf7dckYhA

Just watched it.

ZahZoo
08-10-2023, 10:58 AM
Good episode! Lots of little details I don't recall hearing.

I really don't notice the lack of official released music being removed. The story carries it.

Von Halen
08-10-2023, 12:16 PM
Good episode! Lots of little details I don't recall hearing.

You were probably too busy listening to VOA.

I really don't notice the lack of official released music being removed. The story carries it.

You must be oblivious with the Oldtimers disease. :D

ZahZoo
08-10-2023, 12:57 PM
You were probably too busy listening to VOA.

You must be oblivious with the Oldtimers disease. :D

WTF is VOA..? Very Old Assholes?

Yeah, Oldtimers disease for sure... my ability to ignore bullshit has reached Master status... LOL

There were a couple of music snippets, where I immediately knew it wasn't Ed playing, but they didn't take away from the overall quality of the story telling.

ZahZoo
08-11-2023, 07:27 AM
I do find it disturbing they forced Mike to sign away publishing/song writing on his birthday... that's just mean spirited.

Rikk
08-22-2023, 07:13 PM
Any idea on when we're getting the last episode?

Vinnie Velvet
08-23-2023, 10:58 AM
Any idea on when we're getting the last episode?

Not sure.

The last episode of course deals with the eventual breakup.

An event in history that should have never happened.

Rikk
08-23-2023, 01:07 PM
Not sure.

The last episode of course deals with the eventual breakup.

An event in history that should have never happened.

No...it shouldn't have. The brothers were obviously barely functioning adequately at that point...and Dave's ego and movie-star dreams were out of control.

They were virtually the biggest rock band in the world. They'd just made a HUGE album. The world was waiting with incredible anticipation for a follow-up...

And then they dropped the ball.

And instead we got fucking Sammy Hagar.

Vinnie Velvet
08-23-2023, 01:38 PM
No...it shouldn't have. The brothers were obviously barely functioning adequately at that point...and Dave's ego and movie-star dreams were out of control.

They were virtually the biggest rock band in the world. They'd just made a HUGE album. The world was waiting with incredible anticipation for a follow-up...

And then they dropped the ball.

And instead we got fucking Sammy Hagar.

Such a sad state of affairs that went down.

Too bad they didn't have a real manager to make sure the band wasn't going to implode.

Lots of bands went through turbulent times but they had great management to steer the ship clear of any icebergs. Bands like Queen, the Stones, etc.

AlanCBerry
08-31-2023, 09:52 AM
I love that ticket price

https://youtu.be/0LxZmqHESjk?si=DbXwxnkq9qf28F_E

Rikk
08-31-2023, 10:05 AM
I love that ticket price

https://youtu.be/0LxZmqHESjk?si=DbXwxnkq9qf28F_E

I was eight. I'd give anything to travel back in time and get tickets to this show... (I've watched MONTREAL '84 so many fuckin' times...)

Vinnie Velvet
08-31-2023, 12:20 PM
The 1984 tour was doing crazy business. Additional shows were added in several markets to keep up the demand.

In so much I think one of the promoters - can't remember which state - sent a letter to Noel Monk and said that they will book VH in a stadium on their next tour.

Clearly the band was going to reach almost 1977 Zeppelin levels in terms of filling up stadiums.

But Dave, Ed and Al fucked it all up in '85.

AlanCBerry
08-31-2023, 12:43 PM
Bill Burr on David Lee Roth from his podcast this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDTdb8xzCA

Terry
08-31-2023, 05:50 PM
Bill Burr on David Lee Roth from his podcast this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDTdb8xzCA

What Burr said basically reflects my own feelings on it, where Dave's 'song and dance' lounge act schtick instincts were offset or for the most part well-balanced when he was in Van Halen.

His Just A Gigolo cover was something I liked well enough when watching the promo video, but I've never had the slightest desire to just hear the track on its own outside of the visual component.

Same went for I'm Easy and That's Life off of EEAS, I'm Easy really standing out as a bit fobbed-off and lazy (and putting it between Shyboy and Ladies Night In Buffalo just made those two qualities that much more glaring).

At least with Roth post-Van Halen he and whomever he was working with on any given album managed to conjure up a few to several tracks (depending on the album) that would capture some of the fury and essence of what made CVH so great vs. Van Halen post-Roth where none of it ever really got close to the Dave days.

Terry
08-31-2023, 05:58 PM
The 1984 tour was doing crazy business. Additional shows were added in several markets to keep up the demand.

In so much I think one of the promoters - can't remember which state - sent a letter to Noel Monk and said that they will book VH in a stadium on their next tour.

Clearly the band was going to reach almost 1977 Zeppelin levels in terms of filling up stadiums.

But Dave, Ed and Al fucked it all up in '85.

When I saw 'em in 1984 in Providence they did two dates, back-to-back shows (if memory serves). The venue held, what, 12 to 15 thousand or so.

Saw a lot of shows there in 1983 through 1986, with plenty of big name hard rock acts at the peak of their 80's success, and Van Halen were the only band I saw who did two nights there.

ZahZoo
09-03-2023, 01:52 PM
Episode 5 is coming next week... Stay Frosty™.

AlanCBerry
09-06-2023, 09:36 AM
Out now! Final episode!

https://youtu.be/S0UQFiGFuJA

Rikk
09-06-2023, 10:13 AM
In the middle of watching it now. Thanks, Alan.:)

ZahZoo
09-06-2023, 01:26 PM
Great episode!

I was reminded of the disappointment I felt when this all went down in 85... still as confusing and mind-boggling now as to what, who, etc. as to why. What a fucking train wreck and mess those guys created for themselves and the rock world.

Vinnie Velvet
09-06-2023, 01:31 PM
Great episode!

I was reminded of the disappointment I felt when this all went down in 85... still as confusing and mind-boggling now as to what, who, etc. as to why. What a fucking train wreck and mess those guys created for themselves and the rock world.

Agree 100%.

It was something that could've been totally avoided.

But thats not how it unfolded unfortunately. Drugs, booze, inflated egos. By the time Ted and Monk were let go there really wasn't anyone left in the CVH camp to help steer the ship to what would become an implosion.

This was indeed a great last episode to the series but a sad reminder of the disappointment.

Rikk
09-06-2023, 01:48 PM
It still boggles my mind that it happened.

Every time I listen to 1984 (and I STILL listen to it often), I can't help but think, "What could have been?"

There was some good music on 5150. With Dave at the helm, it could have been a good follow-up. Dave would have thrown out DREAMS, LOVE WALKS IN and that terrible INSIDE song.

They could have worked through their shit and gone into the 1990s.

I love A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH, but it still sucks that we only got one more real Van Halen album after 1984. And it took 30 years to get that.

Alan, I'm sorry you went through so much crap getting this documentary out there. But I still hope you manage to do more with this amazing band's story. I can understand if you don't want to...but your documentaries totally make me not care if the band ever does an official one. Your work here is some of the best I've ever seen.

ZahZoo
09-06-2023, 02:24 PM
The world has changed so much since 84/85... the section on all the media reports hit home... the band breaking-up... not breaking-up... Eddie Loves Valery... Dave says... Ed says... bullshit on all the magazine covers and articles was really the only sources we had. That, and radio DJ's makin shit up from the same sources,

Vinnie Velvet
09-06-2023, 02:33 PM
I will venture to say Ed was clearly more fucked up during '85 than Dave in their respective state of minds and in my opinion contributed more to the eventual breakup than Dave did.

Several other notable bands had gone through periods where their principle band members wanted to do outside projects, even movies, that put the band in a temporary hiatus.

But they didn't break up.

And their guitar players or other members didn't put ultimatums in front of them saying "its either us or you walk".

With that in mind, yeah RIP Eddie.....but FUCK YOU for this.

Seshmeister
09-06-2023, 06:04 PM
I don't think I knew about the Roth v Rod Stewart thing. Initial reaction is it's a real asshole statement by Roth but the more I think about it fuck it Rod Stewart's ego was biblical in size so maybe it was good for him to be able to play pretend humble. :D

Seshmeister
09-06-2023, 06:05 PM
The world has changed so much since 84/85...

Like Hagar saying there are no gay men in America?

Seshmeister
09-06-2023, 06:13 PM
I need to go back or if someone else wants to check what choice was Hagar 4th, 5th, 6th?

We can then make that a thing, 5th choice singer Hagar...

It's been rewritten in the PR but a boozed coked up Eddie watching Roth go from success to success and various out of a gig singers like the guy from Journey aren't answering his calls? No wonder he went for a mediocre talent recommended by his mechanic not based on his back catalog but by him living locally and earning enough to have a nice car...

Rikk
09-06-2023, 07:14 PM

Did he really fucking say that? What a fucking tool.

So this is love
09-06-2023, 08:16 PM
I remember in 1985 when I heard of the departure of DLR and EVH moving on with Van Hagar. My first thought was that this was all planned by WB. I mean that it was a business decision to split them to make more revenues, to this day I still think it was all a business plan... I may be wrong...I cannot believe these guys could fuck something that was so good, after working all these years to get there. Van Halen is the best fucking band ever, but damn I hate how they treated their fans... And I know they don't fucking owe anyone anything but still...fucking motherfuckers.

twonabomber
09-06-2023, 08:43 PM

Because they're all at his place in Cabo?

Rikk
09-06-2023, 09:55 PM
Because they're all at his place in Cabo?

:jumping0041:

ZahZoo
09-07-2023, 07:29 AM

That was an odd statement given the demographics of where he grew up and lived in California which clearly showed his deep-seeded homophobia...

Vinnie Velvet
09-07-2023, 08:54 AM
That was an odd statement given the demographics of where he grew up and lived in California which clearly showed his deep-seeded homophobia...

Just by that footage, his stupid rants at Farm Aid and his appearance with the rest of the band at the MTV VMA party....Hagar was such a tool and a douchebag I don't see how anyone thought this was a good idea having him replace Dave.

WB execs must have been doing the same blow as Eddie.

ZahZoo
09-07-2023, 03:24 PM
Much thanks to Alan for putting this documentary together and fighting to keep it available!! From this fan...Thank You!

Vinnie Velvet
09-07-2023, 04:35 PM
I remember in 1985 when I heard of the departure of DLR and EVH moving on with Van Hagar. My first thought was that this was all planned by WB. I mean that it was a business decision to split them to make more revenues, to this day I still think it was all a business plan... I may be wrong...I cannot believe these guys could fuck something that was so good, after working all these years to get there. Van Halen is the best fucking band ever, but damn I hate how they treated their fans... And I know they don't fucking owe anyone anything but still...fucking motherfuckers.

Not sure about that.

In the end WB actually lost revenue. Dave had solo success but it was nowhere near VH and likewise with Van Hagar. 5150 was a big seller however it sold much less than 1984.

The combined sales of both EEAS and 5150 still don't make up the total sales of 1984.

Seshmeister
09-07-2023, 05:57 PM
If they had kept working hard they could have got another 4 or 5 albums in before the early 90s grunge thing and they would have made the top 10 of all time. Also its worth remembering this list is fixed now forever and if ADKOT had sold a little better they would have been up at 19. :)

https://i.ibb.co/0D2jGM5/top20.jpg (https://ibb.co/r70Gw69)

I had to google George Strait - I'd never heard of him. :)

Seshmeister
09-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Did he really fucking say that? What a fucking tool.

Pretty much - @22:30

Rikk
09-07-2023, 07:20 PM
Pretty much - @22:30

One of the YouTube comments under the video first congratulated Alan and then said, "Now it's time to do a series on the Sammy albums!" What a sad sack of crap this YouTube commenter must be. Clearly he wasn't paying attention to Alan's obvious (and justified) preferences concerning Van Halen that come through in the film.

AlanCBerry
09-08-2023, 06:20 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the props and support. Besides my own VH fan-boy reasons, I was so hoping I could make videos that the die-hards, like all of you, would respect and enjoy. I owe a big thanks to everyone in the community for sharing info, videos, etc. Without it, my vids would have sucked.

Rikk, you are 1000% correct, I cannot stand the Hagar VH years, and when I first heard Van Hagar I was like WTF happened to my VH and moved firmly over to Roth's EASM camp.

Something I just learned about Hagar's gay comments was he was saying it to a gay man. Molly Meldrum, the reporter is gay.

Seshmeister
09-08-2023, 08:30 AM
Something I just learned about Hagar's gay comments was he was saying it to a gay man. Molly Meldrum, the reporter is gay.

He was a big deal in Australia, he hosted their Live Aid around the time of the video. Hagar comes across as a small man, not just physically also remember he's 10 years older than the rest of them and should know better.

AlanCBerry
09-08-2023, 10:41 AM
Here is the clip with Molly.

https://youtu.be/p8D7KNS-vp4?si=789E0J_d6yhDdoxr

Rikk
09-08-2023, 11:52 AM

Alan, how the hell did you find that?? I've seen lots of random clips of the band over the years (yes, even with Sam) and while I have a vague memory of this particular interview, I have NO memory of Sam saying that.

BUT THE "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH" CLIP WITH THE V.O.A. OUTFIT...FUCKING BRILLIANT!!

What a fucking tool Sammy is. He always has to get those kinds of opinions in there somewhere. I remember when Pearl Jam were taking on Ticketmaster in the mid-1990s, so many people were calling them fools and didn't understand what the big deal was with Ticketmaster. And Sammy was at the head of the line, not giving a shit about ticket fees for his fans and making fun of Pearl Jam. (Thirty years later, look who was right.)

Rikk
09-08-2023, 11:54 AM
He was a big deal in Australia, he hosted their Live Aid around the time of the video. Hagar comes across as a small man, not just physically also remember he's 10 years older than the rest of them and should know better.

I remember seeing clips of Live Aid in Australia. (I remember watching Live Aid when it actually happened...I was ten.) I remember watching a re-airing of Live Aid on its 10th anniversary...and there were some cool clips from Australia.

Didn't INXS play the Australian version? I remember enjoying watching their performance in the re-airing.

I remember wondering if Midnight Oil played the Australian Live Aid. They were a great Australian band...and they were at their peak (IMO) from around 1982-1989.

Vinnie Velvet
09-08-2023, 12:26 PM
Alan, how the hell did you find that?? I've seen lots of random clips of the band over the years (yes, even with Sam) and while I have a vague memory of this particular interview, I have NO memory of Sam saying that.

BUT THE "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH" CLIP WITH THE V.O.A. OUTFIT...FUCKING BRILLIANT!!

What a fucking tool Sammy is. He always has to get those kinds of opinions in there somewhere. I remember when Pearl Jam were taking on Ticketmaster in the mid-1990s, so many people were calling them fools and didn't understand what the big deal was with Ticketmaster. And Sammy was at the head of the line, not giving a shit about ticket fees for his fans and making fun of Pearl Jam. (Thirty years later, look who was right.)

Sam is the ultimate douchebag.

He's trying to be cool but comes across as an assclown. Which we've all known for years he is.

twonabomber
09-08-2023, 01:13 PM
Didn't INXS play the Australian version? I remember enjoying watching their performance in the re-airing.

They did. The Models, Little River Band, Men At Work, and a lot of other Aussie bands I haven't heard of.

MTV used to air some Molly Meldrum interview show.

twonabomber
09-09-2023, 01:56 AM

Where did this go? We could get Sammy "cancelled!" :D

Nickdfresh
09-09-2023, 08:46 AM
Where did this go? We could get Sammy "cancelled!" :D

God in heaven please oh Jesus!....

Rikk
09-09-2023, 05:14 PM
God in heaven please oh Jesus!....

You kidding? If a clip was published of Sammy attacking every gay man in America, he would gain a hardcore following of MAGAs and probably increase his Cabo Wabo vacation sales.

I think Sammy (at this point) would actually lose more fans (consider his fanbase) if he came out with a huge pro-LGBTQ statement.

In fact, that's it: Sammy would lose most of his fans if someone hacked his X (Twitter) account and announced that he (Sammy) was coming out of the closet.

THAT is how Sammy gets cancelled. Have him piss off his right-wing fandom.

Nickdfresh
09-09-2023, 06:16 PM
You kidding? If a clip was published of Sammy attacking every gay man in America, he would gain a hardcore following of MAGAs and probably increase his Cabo Wabo vacation sales.

I think Sammy (at this point) would actually lose more fans (consider his fanbase) if he came out with a huge pro-LGBTQ statement.

In fact, that's it: Sammy would lose most of his fans if someone hacked his X (Twitter) account and announced that he (Sammy) was coming out of the closet.

THAT is how Sammy gets cancelled. Have him piss off his right-wing fandom.

Yeah I mean really I wish he were cancelled. Yeah he isn't but sure Sam and whatever he was with is tracking down that and having it deleted....

And the whole "kill gays" thing isn't working well regardless of MAGA, ask Rick DePenis how well it works long term...
https://media1.giphy.com/media/AHZdX93E8Ejvw1IjjM/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47njsw7wa4pz9uecu8orb2lskgpq18 1gxaiaymdwbs&ep=v1_gifs_related&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Where is DaveFalmma now LOL?

Terry
09-09-2023, 11:26 PM
Great episode!

From what I remember, I do recall being shocked. I think I had read about it first in that Rolling Stone blurb with the picture of Eddie and Valerie and the "twelve years of putting up with [Roth's] bullshit" and that was really the first inkling I had that anything was wrong inside the band.

They had just come off their biggest year with the 1984 album and tour, and the assumption was that they'd do it all again.

The announcement of Hagar coming in to sing for the band wasn't something where I thought "well, that makes sense" because back then I didn't see Hagar as in the same league as Van Halen musically. I did have a high amount of interest in what the band would do with Hagar because back then I was hugely into Eddie's playing, but it was definitely a wait and see attitude.

I would say that regardless of what I thought of all of it, Van Halen with Hagar managed to continue releasing albums that were commercially successful. I think it was after Hagar left in 1996 that the band became the gang that couldn't shoot straight, whereas at least with Hagar the band continued releasing albums and touring with a degree of success. Once Hagar departed in 1996, the Van Halens took full charge and it all REALLY went to shit. Starting with bobbling the fucking no-brainer of doing an album and tour with Roth in the immediate wake of Hagar's departure, opting instead to getting Cherone - who, if anything, was a step down from Hagar - in the band.

Nickdfresh
09-10-2023, 12:50 AM

That reporter may have asked Sam later if there "are no gay men in America, why are you wearing those cloths and why are you showcasing your small penis in them"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEiiu5lfnS4

AlanCBerry
09-10-2023, 11:27 AM
Van Halen Brothers cover Black Sabbath's War Pig

Eddie Van Halen (RIP) - Guitar and vocals
Alex Van Halen - Drums
Mark Stone (RIP) - Bass

Special thanks to Jorge from vhvoaboots.jcink.net for uncovering this rare gem.

https://youtu.be/hsrbFMtJSoY

Rikk
09-10-2023, 12:43 PM
Van Halen Brothers cover Black Sabbath's War Pig

Eddie Van Halen (RIP) - Guitar and vocals
Alex Van Halen - Drums
Mark Stone (RIP) - Bass

Special thanks to Jorge from vhvoaboots.jcink.net for uncovering this rare gem.

https://youtu.be/hsrbFMtJSoY

Holy shit, Alan!!

I have to say, it's a...very good thing...that they ended up getting a vocalist (Roth).

Alan, you're a class act...you always give cred to whomever originally found a lost clip.

I see tons of YouTube channels that take footage or songs they don't own and then repost them with their own logo permanently embedded in the footage. You don't do that. You post this stuff just to get it out there to fans.

Rikk
09-10-2023, 12:47 PM
I want to add, and I'm being honest...not kissing ass...that the VH 1984 documentary is the best music documentary I've seen this year. Maybe in many years.

I remember back in the late 90s/early 00s when a new series emerged called CLASSIC ALBUMS...I was a big fan. I still love the Hendrix ELECTRIC LADYLAND episode and tons of others. (The recent Doors' MORRISON HOTEL episode was also really good.) I was dreaming back then that Van Halen would do an episode on 1984 or the debut album. But this is Van Halen...nothing.

Your documentary is SO thorough. I love documentaries that make me want to dig out the album and listen to it closely again. Not only did I give 1984 a lot of spins these past months but I also dug out my US FESTIVAL Blu-Ray. Watching docs like Alan's make me feel that initial Van Halen joy all over again.

Seshmeister
09-10-2023, 07:43 PM
That reporter may have asked Sam later if there "are no gay men in America, why are you wearing those cloths and why are you showcasing your small penis in them"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEiiu5lfnS4

FFS Nick I did not need to see that...

AlanCBerry
09-11-2023, 05:28 AM
Holy shit, Alan!!

I have to say, it's a...very good thing...that they ended up getting a vocalist (Roth).

Alan, you're a class act...you always give cred to whomever originally found a lost clip.

I see tons of YouTube channels that take footage or songs they don't own and then repost them with their own logo permanently embedded in the footage. You don't do that. You post this stuff just to get it out there to fans.

Thanks for noticing that. I don't do it with photos, either. (Except if the photographer asks me to.) I don't "own" any of this shit IMO it belongs to the fans. Plus, whoever saw a logo on a photo and thought, "man, I really need to follow VHnutsack234." Ha So I'm not sure what is to be gained by watermarking shit that you don't own. But I will copyright strike someone if they take my edited stuff and claim it as theirs. Like if I drop an interview, clean-up the audio, take out all the "uh's", make a image, etc.

AlanCBerry
09-11-2023, 05:31 AM
I want to add, and I'm being honest...not kissing ass...that the VH 1984 documentary is the best music documentary I've seen this year. Maybe in many years.

I remember back in the late 90s/early 00s when a new series emerged called CLASSIC ALBUMS...I was a big fan. I still love the Hendrix ELECTRIC LADYLAND episode and tons of others. (The recent Doors' MORRISON HOTEL episode was also really good.) I was dreaming back then that Van Halen would do an episode on 1984 or the debut album. But this is Van Halen...nothing.

Your documentary is SO thorough. I love documentaries that make me want to dig out the album and listen to it closely again. Not only did I give 1984 a lot of spins these past months but I also dug out my US FESTIVAL Blu-Ray. Watching docs like Alan's make me feel that initial Van Halen joy all over again.

I'll take it bro! lol..It makes up for all the comments from folks who say "nothing new here" or "everyone knows VH broke up on April 1st". haha I truly wished Alex got I'm not trying to rip-off VH but tipping my hat to them.

Von Halen
09-11-2023, 08:21 AM
Thanks for noticing that. I don't do it with photos, either. (Except if the photographer asks me to.) I don't "own" any of this shit IMO it belongs to the fans. Plus, whoever saw a logo on a photo and thought, "man, I really need to follow VHnutsack234." Ha So I'm not sure what is to be gained by watermarking shit that you don't own. But I will copyright strike someone if they take my edited stuff and claim it as theirs. Like if I drop an interview, clean-up the audio, take out all the "uh's", make a image, etc.

I started watermarking my personal VH photo's because of people using them. But of course, in this day and age, the watermarks can be edited out fairly easily. I saw one of my personal pics being used in an ad for Al's '80 Invasion drum set that was being sold. I wrote the dude selling it and told him he could have at least asked my permission. In his defense it wasn't watermarked and he didn't know how to get hold of me or find me. Turns out he's the owner of Modern Drummer and is a cool dude. He told me he'd remove it, but at that point, what was the difference? I thought it was pretty cool to see my personal photo chosen for the ad.

ZahZoo
09-11-2023, 08:31 AM
I wonder... was Alex's motivation fear of someone profiting off small snippets of recorded material that doesn't exactly hold much value potential today or more so just wanting to bury the truth of what a mismanaged mess that period represents of his and his family's life choices..?

I've got to figure the cost to have an attorney's office issue the cease and desist... plus the cost to produce this fan inspired hobby project far outweigh the actual value potential of any actual income landing in anyone's bank account. Love and passion are valuable... but it ain't gonna pay no bills or fund a life of lavish...

Nickdfresh
09-11-2023, 12:17 PM
FFS Nick I did not need to see that...

Just wanted to show how bad he sucked and how fucking douchebags like Eddie Trunk have no fucking taste nor clues about live music....

Eddie's drill-guitar has better tone than Hagar...

Vinnie Velvet
09-11-2023, 12:34 PM
I saw that Alan posted on his youtube page the "goodbye letter" from Noel Monk I believe dated March 5th, 1985 with a month later date of his official departure.

Which of course by that point Dave was still in the band.

Nothing ever made sense in VH land, but wouldn't the band want to be searching for new management by then?
Why the stress on making a new record so soon?

Dave of course was busy receiving and looking over movie deals and scripts for CFTH.

The band didn't even have a producer as Ed didn't want to work with Ted anymore. Like seriously, how more fucked up can you get.

My question is.....before Leffler and Hagar coming in, did the band scope out anyone else who would replace Monk as manager?

Rikk
09-11-2023, 12:59 PM
I saw that Alan posted on his youtube page the "goodbye letter" from Noel Monk I believe dated March 5th, 1985 with a month later date of his official departure.

Nothing ever made sense in VH land, but wouldn't the band want to be searching for new management by then?

Dave of course was busy receiving and looking over movie deals and scripts for CFTH.

The band didn't even have a producer as Ed didn't want to work with Ted anymore. Like seriously, how more fucked up can you get.

My question is.....before Leffler and Hagar coming in, did the band scope out anyone else who would replace Monk as manager?

Eddie claimed he didn't want Ted as his producer anymore. But Ted also states very descriptively in his book that the band did ask him to produce 5150. Ted even admitted that while it's been claimed that he only didn't do 5150 because of conflict-schedules with Dave, the truth was that he didn't want to do 5150. He was very clear on this. He was hoping the band would get past this insanity and get back together. He had worked with Hagar multiple times...but he didn't want him actually in Van Halen. So he turned them down.

Interestingly, Ted also says in his book that Eddie came to him when the album was mixed and then asked Ted to sequence the album as a favor...and Ted did. He chose the order of the tracks, created the sequence.

Rikk
09-11-2023, 01:00 PM
Templeman also makes it clear that to this very day, he wishes that the band had stayed together and that it was still a mistake for Dave to leave and for Hagar to become their lead singer. (And, obviously, most of us at this site agree with that opinion.)

ZahZoo
09-11-2023, 02:06 PM

If you've ever had the unfortunate experience working with people, with money... who are at the peak of their alcohol and drug abuse... they don't exactly spend much focused time executing and following a well planned business transition model.

Even at that time period under contract to deliver product to WB... most people managing the business end of Van Halen were walking on egg-shells around the "artists" and their self-destructive bullshit just to stay on the payroll.

Rikk
09-11-2023, 03:17 PM
Even at that time period under contract to deliver product to WB... most people managing the business end of Van Halen were walking on egg-shells around the "artists" and their self-destructive bullshit just to stay on the payroll.

Alan's right in his documentary. This was egos and stupidity all around. I'm pissed at the brothers for bringing this brilliant band's legacy down by bringing in a moron to sing his lyrical bile on their music. BUT...I'm also mad at Dave for getting an ego trip the size of Jupiter and quitting this brilliant band...or if he didn't quit, NOT making it work with the brothers to instead make a stupid film.

I'd give anything to have had that awesome follow-up to 1984. No matter some of the music Eddie was writing at the time, I truly believe that a follow-up would have worked. Imagine Dave singing on GET UP and some of the other tracks...and hopefully throwing away THE INSIDE and DREAMS.

AlanCBerry
09-12-2023, 06:35 AM
I started watermarking my personal VH photo's because of people using them. But of course, in this day and age, the watermarks can be edited out fairly easily. I saw one of my personal pics being used in an ad for Al's '80 Invasion drum set that was being sold. I wrote the dude selling it and told him he could have at least asked my permission. In his defense it wasn't watermarked and he didn't know how to get hold of me or find me. Turns out he's the owner of Modern Drummer and is a cool dude. He told me he'd remove it, but at that point, what was the difference? I thought it was pretty cool to see my personal photo chosen for the ad.

For sure! If you own the copyright, a watermark makes more sense. But like you said, it's pretty easy to photoshop that out.

AlanCBerry
09-12-2023, 06:41 AM
Alan's right in his documentary. This was egos and stupidity all around. I'm pissed at the brothers for bringing this brilliant band's legacy down by bringing in a moron to sing his lyrical bile on their music. BUT...I'm also mad at Dave for getting an ego trip the size of Jupiter and quitting this brilliant band...or if he didn't quit, NOT making it work with the brothers to instead make a stupid film.

I'd give anything to have had that awesome follow-up to 1984. No matter some of the music Eddie was writing at the time, I truly believe that a follow-up would have worked. Imagine Dave singing on GET UP and some of the other tracks...and hopefully throwing away THE INSIDE and DREAMS.

The thing I keep going back to is I doubt I would have been any diff. I know my ego fucked me many times in my 20s/30s. Hell even sometimes today at 54. The temptation to be full of yourself on either side was pretty sky-high.

BTW Rikk, you will not be a fan of what I'm dropping tomorrow. haha, an unreleased Hagar interview from 1997. I think it has some interesting VH content in it.

Rikk
09-12-2023, 07:49 AM
BTW Rikk, you will not be a fan of what I'm dropping tomorrow. haha, an unreleased Hagar interview from 1997. I think it has some interesting VH content in it.

LOL...that's ok. I still find any VH content interesting. I'll definitely check it out. I remember being glued to my T.V. in 1996/97 for any news on, first, the reunion...and then, why the reunion didn't work out.

There was a strange period in late-1996 and 1997 where I felt sorry for Sammy as well...the brothers had fucked over Dave. And I remember thinking, they fucked over both singers, really. How stupid...piss off your entire fanbase (Dave fans AND Sammy fans) in just a few months...then get a rather lame singer to take both guys' places.

I remember in the fall of 1996, I wrote a LONG diatribe to the Van Halen Mailing List (which was viewed by both Valerie Bertinelli and their tour manager Scotty Ross). I basically congratulated Van Halen for completely fucking up and screwing themselves over. I went on about how this was the stupidest move a band had ever made...pissing off both fanbases. And I predicted that Van Halen's album with Gary Cherone would not only fail but that the line-up would not last.

Scotty Ross, within a day or so, replied to my long email with an angry two-sentence reply, basically saying, "Ridiculous! Zeal! Pure zeal!" He was so angry (I'm not making this up). And I replied: "S.R...FUCK YOU!!!"

And then Valerie Bertinelli replied. I can't remember what she said...but I distinctly remember telling her to "fuck off!" I also remember telling her something like, "Tell your husband he pissed off a TON of fans and they're not going to forget."

I distinctly remember a car ride with a couple of my friends. We'd just come from a tavern and my friend in the backseat said something like, "Is there any timeline yet on how long this album with Dave is supposed to take?" And I told him, "Shit, you didn't hear? They fucking called it off and got Gary fucking Cherone!!" And my friend sat in the back seat, steaming the entire ride home. He actually said, "I want to fucking kill Eddie Van Halen!!"

June 1996. A great time to be a Van Halen fan.

September 1996. A terrible time to be a Van Halen fan.

I actually enjoyed Sam's LITTLE WHITE LIES when it came out. I thought the video was funny, I thought the song wasn't bad and I thought the brothers really deserved it.

Vinnie Velvet
09-12-2023, 09:02 AM
LOL...that's ok. I still find any VH content interesting. I'll definitely check it out. I remember being glued to my T.V. in 1996/97 for any news on, first, the reunion...and then, why the reunion didn't work out.

There was a strange period in late-1996 and 1997 where I felt sorry for Sammy as well...the brothers had fucked over Dave. And I remember thinking, they fucked over both singers, really. How stupid...piss off your entire fanbase (Dave fans AND Sammy fans) in just a few months...then get a rather lame singer to take both guys' places.

I remember in the fall of 1996, I wrote a LONG diatribe to the Van Halen Mailing List (which was viewed by both Valerie Bertinelli and their tour manager Scotty Ross). I basically congratulated Van Halen for completely fucking up and screwing themselves over. I went on about how this was the stupidest move a band had ever made...pissing off both fanbases. And I predicted that Van Halen's album with Gary Cherone would not only fail but that the line-up would not last.

Scotty Ross, within a day or so, replied to my long email with an angry two-sentence reply, basically saying, "Ridiculous! Zeal! Pure zeal!" He was so angry (I'm not making this up). And I replied: "S.R...FUCK YOU!!!"

And then Valerie Bertinelli replied. I can't remember what she said...but I distinctly remember telling her to "fuck off!" I also remember telling her something like, "Tell your husband he pissed off a TON of fans and they're not going to forget."

I distinctly remember a car ride with a couple of my friends. We'd just come from a tavern and my friend in the backseat said something like, "Is there any timeline yet on how long this album with Dave is supposed to take?" And I told him, "Shit, you didn't hear? They fucking called it off and got Gary fucking Cherone!!" And my friend sat in the back seat, steaming the entire ride home. He actually said, "I want to fucking kill Eddie Van Halen!!"

June 1996. A great time to be a Van Halen fan.

September 1996. A terrible time to be a Van Halen fan.

I actually enjoyed Sam's LITTLE WHITE LIES when it came out. I thought the video was funny, I thought the song wasn't bad and I thought the brothers really deserved it.

June 1996 was the perfect time to right the wrongs of the 1985 breakup.

But again Ed fucked that up.

Rikk
09-12-2023, 09:30 AM
June 1996 was the perfect time to right the wrongs of the 1985 breakup.

But again Ed fucked that up.

I remember turning on my radio in 1996 and literally hearing the rock radio DJ immediately say the words, "...so, from what we can gather from the camp...Sam is out, Dave is in. Dave is coming back to Van Halen."

I literally jumped up and started screaming and dancing around my room. I had been waiting since I had been nine to hear this news. I remember running around the house, going, "YES!!! YES!!!" I called my buddy to tell him, but he wasn't home. Then I tried another buddy. He wasn't home. I ended up calling my brother (who wasn't even much of a Van Halen fan) and he wasn't home. His wife answered and I just stammered and then shouted, "Dave is back in Van Halen!!" And she sort of paused and said, "Uh...okay." I was just SO excited!!

I remember watching the MTV Music Video Awards...that shot of Chris Rock and Eddie Vedder clapping and cheering with the standing ovation. I watched the clip and was so high on the moment. It never occurred to me that they weren't happy on that stage. I thought it all looked great.

I was in shock when a week or two later, being at University in the computer lab and just browsing the web and seeing on the Van Halen News Desk the rumors that the band was going to hire Gary Cherone. I did not believe it. I distinctly remembering thinking, "There is no way. Just no way. No way could the band be this stupid. This is one of the most-hyped reunions in history." MTV was showing those "WELCOME BACK DAVE" commercials and everyone in the music world was going on about how awesome it was that Dave was coming back.

I remember a few whiny sheep at the Van Halen Mailing List, crying about what an atrocity it was that Van Halen was breaking up the, in their eyes, only good line-up of the band ever. And I remember rubbing it in their faces, laughing at them and telling them, "No more shitty lyrics or half-assed clichéd cock rock melodies on Van Halen albums!" And I remember those same sons of bitches laughing at me on the Mailing List when it was announced, by Dave, that the reunion wasn't happening...I actually remember telling one sheep that I would find him and beat the shit out of him.

To this day, I am still pissed off at the brothers for the bullshit of 1996.

They let the world get excited and then pulled the rug out from under the fans.

Eddie claimed: "We never intended to bring Dave back into the fold. It was just for two songs."

Bullshit. Eddie was bringing back Dave because he got desperate over the future of his band after firing Sammy. And once they worked together and Eddie realized that the band wasn't going to just be his thing over which he could be dictator and rule the band any way he wanted, he pulled the plug. Simple as that. He realized that he was going to have to have some push-and-pull to make good music.

And the worst part of it all: WHEN THE BAND TEASED THE FANS WITH IT, LETTING THE NEWS BREAK OUT, LETTING PEOPLE GET EXCITED, MAKING TWO NEW SONGS...AND THEN CALLING IT OFF, SOME FANS NEVER FORGAVE EDDIE OR ALEX FOR THAT.

...AND THEY TOOK THE EXCITEMENT OUT OF IT EVER HAPPENING FOR REAL.

When Dave finally did come back in 2006-2007, it was what fans wanted. But the excitement was not even 50% of what it had been before. So much time had passed. Fans kept waiting for it to be called off again. (At one point, the band even postponed the tour and I remember myself and other fans rolling our eyes, saying, "Yup, I knew it would never actually happen.") And even though it went through, it was just NOT as exciting because Van Halen had given us 10 years of shit...Gary Cherone, the cancelled 2000 Dave album, the shitty Sam reunion of 2004...and Dave finally coming back in 2006 felt more like the band finally giving in...instead of the true reunion (4 original members). The momentum they built up in 1996 would never again be recaptured.

I loved the reunion tours. I enjoyed all three shows I saw between 2007 and 2012. And I still love A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH.

But Dave coming back in 1996 felt like it was finally a fixing of the last 11 years of shitty Van Hagar and Van Halen truly returning. And since 1996, I have never felt quite the same about this band. I still love Van Halen...but 1996 was the year I started truly disliking the members of the band.

I hate Michael Anthony too. I remember reading a Dutch interview with him in the late summer of 1996...and he was talking about Dave coming back and said something to the effect of, "It wasn't my choice. If it were up to me, we'd keep Sammy in this band. But it didn't work out that way. So I guess I just have to accept Dave coming back." He was all disappointed. And I remember thinking: "You're the fucking bass player who has written nothing in this band. How dare you open your mouth and try to ruin this?" So even though the 2006-2007 reunion didn't include him, I remember feeling a bit of satisfaction that the son of a bitch was now the one left out in the cold.

AlanCBerry
09-12-2023, 02:42 PM
Posted this one today.
http://www.thetapesarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Roth-and-lady.jpg

AlanCBerry
09-13-2023, 09:40 AM
Just dropped a never-published interview with Sammy from 1997. He talks a lot about his split from VH.

https://youtu.be/wyHGrzArvPA

Rikk
09-13-2023, 01:41 PM
Just dropped a never-published interview with Sammy from 1997. He talks a lot about his split from VH.

https://youtu.be/wyHGrzArvPA

I enjoyed the interview in terms of hearing about the insanity that was Van Halen around that time. I found it kind of amusing as he talked about songs from his album being masterpieces...and I got pissed off when he insinuated that the band got MORE popular after he joined. This simply isn't true.

ZahZoo
09-13-2023, 02:53 PM
I enjoyed the interview in terms of hearing about the insanity that was Van Halen around that time. I found it kind of amusing as he talked about songs from his album being masterpieces...and I got pissed off when he insinuated that the band got MORE popular after he joined. This simply isn't true.

The most famous Obi Wan Kenobi quote from Star Wars applies nicely...

“Luke, you’re going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” / “The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe.”

AlanCBerry
09-14-2023, 10:41 AM
Here is one of the rarest Roth pics I have. I think it was taken during VH's 1979 Japan tour. I colorized and upscaled it. I have one more pic from Japan.
http://www.thetapesarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/David-Lee-Roth-1979.jpg
Before
http://www.thetapesarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Roth-in-store-org.jpg

Rikk
09-14-2023, 11:59 AM
Here is one of the rarest Roth pics I have. I think it was taken during VH's 1979 Japan tour. I colorized and upscaled it. I have one more pic from Japan.

I can't believe that is colorized. It looks PERFECT. Great find!

Vinnie Velvet
09-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Hey Alan

I recall seeing a letter dated November 1985 to a fan that the official Van Halen fan club was closing.

Do you have a copy of that?

AlanCBerry
09-15-2023, 07:13 AM
Hey Alan

I recall seeing a letter dated November 1985 to a fan that the official Van Halen fan club was closing.

Do you have a copy of that?

Hey Vinnie,
I have some fan club docs but not that one. If I see it I will post it here.

Vinnie Velvet
09-15-2023, 08:51 AM
Hey Vinnie,
I have some fan club docs but not that one. If I see it I will post it here.

Cool. Thx

AlanCBerry
09-15-2023, 09:15 AM
Hey All! I’m trying to put together a video of last Roth interviews before the band broke up where he talks about his movie or the status of VH.

Do you know of any other clips than what I have here? https://youtu.be/N9ppzTlapoM?si=wj3zV_U9TjwaWyNg

I figure if anyone knows, it's the RothArmy. :)

AlanCBerry
09-15-2023, 10:24 AM
Another rare VH pic in high resolution. Taken by Helmut Newton in 1979. The photo session created a lot of tension inside the band.
http://www.thetapesarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Van-Halen-1979-Helmut-Newton-web.jpg

Rikk
09-15-2023, 10:25 AM
Another rare VH pic in high resolution. Taken by Helmut Newton in 1979. The photo session created a lot of tension inside the band.
http://www.thetapesarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Van-Halen-1979-Helmut-Newton-web.jpg

Wow, Alan. NEVER seen this one before. Very cool vintage pic.

Do you know why there was tension during the shoot?

Vinnie Velvet
09-15-2023, 12:24 PM

I take it that maybe a band poster from this shot in the WACF album was probably considered before the Dave-only chained pic.

Vinnie Velvet
09-15-2023, 12:58 PM
Hey All! I’m trying to put together a video of last Roth interviews before the band broke up where he talks about his movie or the status of VH.

Do you know of any other clips than what I have here? https://youtu.be/N9ppzTlapoM?si=wj3zV_U9TjwaWyNg

I figure if anyone knows, it's the RothArmy. :)

I believe the Japanese interview was done before the one afterwards. There Dave seems all but convinced VH is over. That he even says you will see "David Lee Roth" in Japan in 1986.

AlanCBerry
09-15-2023, 02:41 PM
Wow, Alan. NEVER seen this one before. Very cool vintage pic.

Do you know why there was tension during the shoot?

Greg Renoff gives a good backstory here https://medium.com/cuepoint/the-private-photo-shoot-that-sparked-a-war-inside-van-halen-ac6fa2cda7b

AlanCBerry
09-15-2023, 02:43 PM
I believe the Japanese interview was done before the one afterwards. There Dave seems all but convinced VH is over. That he even says you will see "David Lee Roth" in Japan in 1986.

I agree..Because he also says something about he already told his friends in Australia.

Vinnie Velvet
09-15-2023, 02:49 PM
I agree..Because he also says something about he already told his friends in Australia.

That's right.

So this could be around summer '85? June-July.

But then its also somewhat open ended. Its like Dave saying hes moving on without saying he's leaving Van Halen.

Nickdfresh
09-15-2023, 03:38 PM

Saw a vid on this, I guess Dave went out and got one of the best working photographers artistically speaking and convinced him to come over to his place and do shoot mainly of him prior to the band arriving for the WACF cover art. The band objected and WB hired a more traditional rock photog to shoot the artwork.

There is another pic of him chained to the fence Christ-style alone...

silverfish
09-16-2023, 12:04 AM
There is another pic of him chained to the fence Christ-style alone...

From Groovy History
https://groovyhistory.com/david-lee-roth-helmut-newton-bondage-van-halen/9

https://groovyhistory.com/content/108983/60e136297b2e8769dfa24f44154ff87b.jpg

https://groovyhistory.com/content/108983/2cdd3be84c88bb8c4172c4a75616d9e3.jpg

Couple others:

http://www.scottygonline.com/DaveFence-300x446.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/83/70/94/83709459d773be85ac58273791eb5a7e.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d3/97/df/d397df308f383526b9209d7aca7c1946.jpg

AlanCBerry
09-20-2023, 01:55 PM
I remastered and mashed up the four TV studio performances of Unchained. See what you think of it.

https://youtu.be/kffRKh-ozSk

Rikk
09-20-2023, 04:41 PM
I remastered and mashed up the four TV studio performances of Unchained. See what you think of it.

https://youtu.be/kffRKh-ozSk

Works like a long-lost studio version music video. Nice job!

Seshmeister
09-21-2023, 08:58 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/83/70/94/83709459d773be85ac58273791eb5a7e.jpg

Surprised that one ever got out - it really gives away that rather than dangerous street punks they are being photographed in a huge mansion in the leafy suburbs. :)

AlanCBerry
09-25-2023, 10:05 AM
Who was cooler than Roth? I have another never heard by anyone interview with Mr. Diamond from 1984, dropping this week. In the interview, you will hear MC Roth do a freestyle rap. (Not kidding and not AI.)Photo by Michael Ochs.
http://www.thetapesarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/David-Lee-Roth-on-a-Harley.jpg

Rikk
09-25-2023, 10:19 AM
People make fun of Dave now but fuck them. He was the coolest frontman ever.

I was only in elementary school when the band broke up...but I remember in 1984-84, you could mention Roth to boys and they would be like, "Oh, the coolest guy on the planet" and you could mention him to girls (yes, elementary school girls...I was 8-9) and they would be like, "He's SO cute!" I remember having a crush on a girl (maybe my first crush) and she was just obsessed with Roth.

Psyched to hear the 1984 interview with Dave. I remember watching a VHS compilation of Van Halen clips from 1984 sometime in the 90s (must have been right after the failed reunion). And I remember noticing that Dave was just so funny and awesome in every T.V. interview, even though he had clearly rehearsed all the one-liners.

I went on a hardcore VH kick (again) starting '96 (again, for obvious reasons). That was when I picked up Montreal '84 and became addicted to it. I would watch it OVER and OVER again. It's still one of my favorite concerts by anyone. I DEFINITELY watched it more than the US FESTIVAL, which I still really enjoy.

Montreal '84 may have been an audience boot...but for the mid-80s, it's really good. Really well-shot, the whole show.

But I've prayed for Largo '84 to get released because, to me, THAT is the Holy Grail. That could be what finally totally replaces Montreal '84.

AlanCBerry
09-27-2023, 09:50 AM
Just dropped a never-published interview with Roth from December 1984.

https://youtu.be/QodtYVn7tDQ

ZahZoo
09-27-2023, 04:43 PM
Great interview! Loved the questions she asked and of course, Dave's smart assed answers!!

AlanCBerry
09-28-2023, 01:28 PM
Unreleased Roth freestyle from 1984. Plus the #djkhaled �� remix version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYb_aHMuVE4&ab_channel=TheTapesArchive

AlanCBerry
10-01-2023, 01:38 PM
In an alternate universe, we have Vanhalen’s horror movie which was released 43 years ago this month.
http://www.thetapesarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Van-Halen-horror-movie-poster.jpg

ZahZoo
10-02-2023, 08:46 AM
Nice you included something Halloween themed... local retail has already rolled out Christmas crap here... SMH

Terry
10-02-2023, 12:07 PM
Unreleased Roth freestyle from 1984. Plus the #djkhaled �� remix version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYb_aHMuVE4&ab_channel=TheTapesArchive

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Terry
10-02-2023, 12:16 PM
Nice you included something Halloween themed... local retail has already rolled out Christmas crap here... SMH

Local retail here rolled out the Halloween crap the week before Labor Day. Goddamned ridiculous.

AlanCBerry
10-04-2023, 09:50 AM
Posting my last VH interview. This one is David Lee Roth again, but from 2019. Greg Renoff, says is "the most honest real interview DLR did that I know about"

https://youtu.be/RTX-x6lTkIM