• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Kerry, Edwards May Not Vote on Marriage

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - Democrat John Kerry and his running mate John Edwards may not end up voting on a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, a polarizing issue in the presidential campaign.

President Bush has called for the amendment and top Republicans are trying to get one passed in the Senate. But opponents of the measure are trying to block the amendment from ever coming to a direct vote, and the only vote likely to occur now is a procedural one scheduled for Wednesday aimed at forcing the Senate to act on the amendment.

Kerry spokeswoman Stephanie Cutter said Kerry and Edwards would be in the Senate to vote against the amendment if it came up, but they will not be there to vote on the procedural measure.

Republicans, who had already conceded they lacked the two-thirds majority — or 67 votes — needed to advance a constitutional amendment, would have to get 60 votes to go to a final vote on the issue itself.

On Wednesday, Kerry is scheduled to be in his hometown of Boston preparing for the Democratic National Convention being held there later this month. Edwards, the North Carolina senator, begins his first solo campaign swing since being named to the ticket.

While Kerry and Edwards oppose gay marriage, they argue that it is an issue that should be left to the states to decide. Both senators support civil unions, which would give gay couples all the legal rights of married couples without letting them wed.

• High Life Man
    Commando
    • Jan 2004

You'd never know they oppose gay marriage with all the buttfucking they've been doing to each other the past week.

Comment

• Satan
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

You mortals crack me up. A constitutional ammendment to stop people from getting married. Do you know how ridiculous that is?

I haven't heard this much laughter in Hell since half your country declared war on the other half over the issue of owning human beings.
      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• High Life Man
        Commando
        • Jan 2004

I could care either way about the marriage thing. Personally, I think the Congress is spending waaaay too much fucking time on it. There's more important things to worry about, like lowering taxes and abolishing capital gains and estate taxes.

However, Kerry and Edwards need to come out of the closet. They're been acting like a couple of homos.

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

MAY NOT be there to vote? Let's rewind this whole thing. They are campaigning for my vote for the most important job in our country. They prove to me that they want the job so bad, are tough on issues and will fight for what they believe in. Yet, where the rubber meets the road in their current job, they are wishy-washy about what they INTEND to want, WANT to do and acutally WILL do.

I guess they are waiting for the focus group studies to come back. Kerry is a joke, always has been and the bright light shining on him now isn't helping.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

I think missing out on voting on thigns will end up hurting him in the end. People like to crack that Bush goes on vaca, but you never stop being the President on such trips. Your work comes with you.

Kerry on the other hand -- you cannot bring Congress along with you
            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Bottom line is that an ammendment to DENY CIVIL RIGHTS to an entire segment of the population shouldn't even be on the vote in the first place. The entire thing is a Republican smokescreen to take the focus off of the BCE's terrible record.

Comment

• Big Train
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Satan, why must everything be intentionally vague. As I have asked Ford, please indentify the BCE in order of EVIL:

I have said it before, but it bears repeating: Is Bush an evil, omnipotent, all controlling madman, or a buffoon who got lucky?

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

So then why aren't they going to help act against this ammendment that you say denies civil rights from going to vote?

If I were in the part that supported gay marriage, I would see this as us not being important enough to take a stand, but only important enough to help them get into office. Which, yes, I know that's how politics works sometimes, but then they shouldn't support this team. It's obvious they aren't fully behind this then
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Satan
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                    Satan, why must everything be intentionally vague. As I have asked Ford, please indentify the BCE in order of EVIL:

I have said it before, but it bears repeating: Is Bush an evil, omnipotent, all controlling madman, or a buffoon who got lucky?
                    George Herbert Walker Bush Sr. dedicated his eldest son to me at a young age and brought him up with the intention of being an evil dominant world power, as Poppy himself was. But even with all of my unholiness bestowed upon him, the boy is just simply dumb as a box of rocks.

And evil should never be in the hands of one so stupid. That is my problem with Junior.

Comment

• Satan
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                      So then why aren't they going to help act against this ammendment that you say denies civil rights from going to vote?

If I were in the part that supported gay marriage, I would see this as us not being important enough to take a stand, but only important enough to help them get into office. Which, yes, I know that's how politics works sometimes, but then they shouldn't support this team. It's obvious they aren't fully behind this then
                      Kerry and Edwards have been ordered by their masters at the DLC to avoid this issue like Gangsta rappers avoid police stations. The party masters are trying to push too hard for the right of center vote at the expense of their liberal base - which includes a lot of gay people among others.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Then call them out.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Viking
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

'Kerry, Edwards May Not Vote on Marriage'?

Considering how much they've been frenching each other in front of the press, I figured they'd have picked out the names of their kids by now.

I guess they're still arguing about who gets to 'pitch' and who gets to 'catch' on Monday nights.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                            Then call them out.

I agree...

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Comment