X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Halen
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Jimmy Buffet Dead

76 years old. Too bad it wasn’t the wannabe Jimmy Buffet.
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Von Halen
    76 years old. Too bad it wasn’t the wannabe Jimmy Buffet.
    Yeah, now who will Sam rip off.

Not Jimmy's biggest fan and be went far with marginal talent and he was a bit of a fake with the aging-white-guy-vacationer schtick as he was actually a workaholic and very corporate. But still love to hear Margaritaville once in a while. Maybe he's off having a cheeseburger in nirvana or with Nirvana or something. I'm still drunk...

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Yay.

Comment

• Mushroom
        Commando
        • Jul 2009

Wow I didn’t see that one coming so suddenly.

Finally annoying parrotheads will stop telling me to go to a Jimmy Buffet concert.

At least we still have Jimmy Page!
        Last edited by Mushroom; 09-02-2023, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

He was okay...

My wife, while not a parrothead, was a fan of his. As such, I saw him three times in concert between 2000 and 2010. Not too huge on the guy myself, but his earlier albums - his stuff up to the early 1980s - were pleasant enough. Some good tunes here and there.

We ate at his Margaritaville restaurants a couple of times...once in Key West, once in Orlando. Just average burger joints.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• twonabomber
            formerly F A T
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Went to a Buffett show in '93. Kind of one of those things you can say you've done, and not have to do it again.
            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom
              Wow I didn’t see that one coming so suddenly.

Finally annoying parrotheads will stop telling me to go to a Jimmy Buffet concert.

At least we still have Jimmy Page!
              Nor did I. But strangely I did see a few Jimmy Buffet related things in my YouTube and Google stream lately, so who knows? I was also thinking recently as to how some of the biggest hardcore Jimmy Buffet fans I've met and worked with in the past have been some of the worst people I've ever known (i.e. pedos, guys that beat their wives/GF's. etc.) Not tying that as a reflection on Jimmy Buffet himself that I think never did any of that that I know of. He just made a lot of money writing shit songs embodying mediocrity and what are essentially novelty songs for bored old white people with bad taste yearning for some terminal fiesta in cultures they otherwise would hate, fear and despise. But hey I'd do the same if I could and make a boatload!
              Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-03-2023, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                I was also thinking recently as to how some of the biggest hardcore Jimmy Buffet fans I've met and worked with in the past have been some of the worst people I've ever known (i.e. pedos, guys that beat their wives/GF's. etc.)
                so...drunks!
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

My wife is a huge Buffett fan. She was way before I met her.

I've never taken to his music the way she is...but there are some songs I enjoy.

No matter how some people feel about him, I will say that certain songs are simply good songs, no matter how one feels about the guy. SON OF A SON OF A SAILOR is, hands-down, a very good song.

But I never got into the whole Parrothead thing.
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

David Lee is a big Roth fan. He played this Buffett cover on radio in 2002...and he does a good job of it.

Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Buffet wrote some catchy tunes... RIP
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                        so...drunks!
                        LOL maybe. But this was when I was in the Army I got into an argument with a guy who wouldn't shut up about how great Buffet was along with some others because he kind of thought it was ok to hit his wife if she got out of line or cheated on him. I was like dude, you cheat on your wife with some skanky housekeeping staff LOL....

Grateful Dead fans were worse so...

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                          David Lee is a big Roth fan. He played this Buffett cover on radio in 2002...and he does a good job of it.

Undoubtedly David Lee is the BIGGEST Roth fan.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            LOL maybe. But this was when I was in the Army I got into an argument with a guy who wouldn't shut up about how great Buffet was along with some others because he kind of thought it was ok to hit his wife if she got out of line or cheated on him. I was like dude, you cheat on your wife with some skanky housekeeping staff LOL....

Grateful Dead fans were worse so...
                            Particularly the teen Grateful Dead fans who got interested in the band in the wake of the Touch of Grey single in the late 1980's. A useless bunch of dosed idiots who would "go on tour" with the band, couch-surfing and motel room hopping across the US "on Spring tour, man!"

Had several friends in high school who morphed into that category. They all acted like they were in a cult and Jerry was their Lord and Savior.

"Hey, catch this version of Franklin's Tower from 1986, dude!" Then played some shitty live boot that had seemingly eons of Garcia full-on in his fat junkie bloat, aimlessly noodling out another indistinguishable lead.

American Beauty and Workingman's Dead remain, to my ears, two truly great albums. The last ten years of the band as a live unit were limp and uninspiring.

I suppose I can't blame my classmates for getting turned onto the Dead and looking backward, when considering what was going on in contemporary pop culture circa 1987. The downside being all those insipid hacky sack circles and teen Japs seemingly bathing in patchouli oil.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                              Undoubtedly David Lee is the BIGGEST Roth fan.
                              LMFAO. Shit, sorry. I mean Buffett fan.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...