PDA

View Full Version : CIA's Acting Chief Says Threat Highest Since 9/11

lucky wilbury
07-14-2004, 12:18 AM
http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/387144|top|07-13-2004::20:47|reuters.html

CIA's Acting Chief Says Threat Highest Since 9/11

Jul 13, 8:39 PM (ET)

By Tabassum Zakaria
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The terrorist threat against the United States in the run-up to the November election is as serious as at any time since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, acting CIA Director John McLaughlin said on Tuesday.

"This is about as serious a threat environment as I have seen since 9/11," said McLaughlin, the deputy director who took over on Sunday pending appointment of a permanent successor to Director George Tenet who resigned amid criticism of the agency's performance.

"The quality of the information we have now is such that we have high confidence that the nation needs to be on guard," McLaughlin told Reuters in a telephone interview.

He said the threats were not pinned specifically to the Democratic and Republican political conventions this summer but to the whole period before the November presidential election.

"It's related to this period during which the country is exercising its democracy, it's this period particularly in the run-up to the election, but it's always a mistake in the counterterrorism business to focus uniquely on a date," McLaughlin said. The attackers would strike when they are ready and not because of a specific date, he said.

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Pat Roberts, a Kansas Republican, earlier on Tuesday told reporters that "the chatter and the texture of the chatter is the highest it's been since 9/11." Chatter refers to communications among terrorism suspects.

"There's a lot of members taking second thoughts about attending conventions," Roberts said, but added that he planned to attend.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge renewed public warnings last week of possible attacks by al Qaeda in the United States this year, but offered no details and said there were no plans to raise the terror threat level.

"Credible reporting now indicates that al Qaeda is moving forward with its plans to carry out a large-scale attack in the United States in an effort to disrupt our democratic process," Ridge said.

BLAME GAME

The Senate Intelligence Committee issued a scathing report on Friday that faulted spy agencies for flawed intelligence before last year's invasion of Iraq, which indicated Baghdad had stockpiles of banned weapons. No such weapons were found.

McLaughlin said the CIA had admitted the estimates were not all correct, and had done an internal review of sources, assumptions and spying methods before the Senate report.

"This is a town that loves to assign blame and if blame can be pinned on someone then everyone is happy to say 'OK now let's move on'," he said.

"I think that's the wrong way to think about it," he said, adding intelligence professionals had to figure out what lessons can be learned to improve their work.

There will always be some ambiguity to the question about whether Iraq had weapons of mass destruction before the war because of the widespread looting of potentially key information after the U.S.-led invasion, McLaughlin said.

McLaughlin said he did not know what plans the White House had for permanently filling the CIA director post.

"At this point about all I can tell you is they have asked me to be the acting director," he said. "I'm happy to do this and if they choose someone else, I'll work with that person to get them established and launched."

twonabomber
07-14-2004, 07:58 AM
Tabassum Zakaria

who's watching this guy?

Eyes of the Night
07-14-2004, 08:15 AM
I learn more shit cruising this forum than I do on MSNBC! ...

I hate reading novel posts though and Lucky, that's one hell of a novel broham ...

At least we got a name, thanks tooner ...

FORD
07-14-2004, 09:42 AM
"This is about as serious a threat environment as I have seen since 9/11," - Haven't they said this for just about every FAKE terror threat in the last 3 years? :rolleyes:

Wayne L.
07-14-2004, 10:37 AM
I expect another terrorist attack in the U.S. before this year is over with I'm sad to say!!!

distortion9
07-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by FORD
"This is about as serious a threat environment as I have seen since 9/11," - Haven't they said this for just about every FAKE terror threat in the last 3 years? :rolleyes:

I'm not looking to argue, I'm just honestly curious.

If "something real bad" happens, will you say you were wrong or wait for details and try to spin it?

Again...just looking for an honest, straight answer. Not trying to offend or pick a fight.

FORD
07-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by distortion9
I'm not looking to argue, I'm just honestly curious.

If "something real bad" happens, will you say you were wrong or wait for details and try to spin it?

Again...just looking for an honest, straight answer. Not trying to offend or pick a fight.

My honest answer is that the Bush Criminal Empire will arrange a "terrorist attack" either in this country or in a nearby Canadian city in late October, or early November, in order to declare martial law and "postpone" an election which they know they will not legitimately win.

Their own actions and statements of the past two weeks, along with comments made by General Tommy Franks several months ago (regarding suspension of the constitution and the declaration of martial law in the event of another attack) make that case very obviously.

distortion9
07-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Thank's

ELVIS
07-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Jump on the FORD fear bus...

FORD
07-14-2004, 01:36 PM
It's not the fear bus. That one is owned by BCE/Carlyle/Murdoch Incorporated.

I'm on the reality bus. And as ugly as the reality may be, it's time to face up to it.