PDA

View Full Version : pittsburgh gazette article

meleboy
07-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Thought you all would get a kick out of this.. It has been a long while since I have posted.. HI ALL... Here is a snippet of an article entitled Summer concert slumps...

Van Halen could be the poster boys for blockbusters gone bust. Far from selling out, the reunion drew only 13,593 at the Post-Gazette Pavilion, which can hold up to 26,000. Perennial favorites Aerosmith did less than that. The Dave Matthews Band pulled off one sellout, but not two, as in recent years. X-Fest, which usually has them hanging from the rafters, sold just 14,000 tickets. More surprising perhaps is that Sting, Rush, Blink-182 and Jessica Simpson would all come in at less than 10,000. The most consistent local draws have been the country shows -- there are only five -- from the 17,265 for Tim McGraw to the sellout for Kenny Chesney.

EmpyreLounge44
07-14-2004, 11:01 AM
everyone except prince is having a terrible time out there this summer...hope that means ticket prices will come down

do you have a full link

BigDaddyD
07-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah, you would think that since concert revenues have been getting lower and lower, concert promoters would start reducing ticket prices in order to increase sales. Prices keep going up though and reducing tickets sold. When will they learn. Hmmm, should I pay $90 + for a ticket or should I wait and buy the dvd for $20?

Bob_R
07-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Here's the link:

Pittsburgh Gazette (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04196/345807.stm)

Figs
07-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Aerosmith and Kiss have been touring a decent amount over the last few years. How many times can you see the same thing? Not to mention Kiss is sans two less important original members. And tickets aren't cheap...

DLR_EngineRoom
07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by meleboy
Thought you all would get a kick out of this.. It has been a long while since I have posted.. HI ALL... Here is a snippet of an article entitled Summer concert slumps...

Van Halen could be the poster boys for blockbusters gone bust. Far from selling out, the reunion drew only 13,593 at the Post-Gazette Pavilion, which can hold up to 26,000. Perennial favorites Aerosmith did less than that. The Dave Matthews Band pulled off one sellout, but not two, as in recent years. X-Fest, which usually has them hanging from the rafters, sold just 14,000 tickets. More surprising perhaps is that Sting, Rush, Blink-182 and Jessica Simpson would all come in at less than 10,000. The most consistent local draws have been the country shows -- there are only five -- from the 17,265 for Tim McGraw to the sellout for Kenny Chesney.

Unfortunately, this isn't credible news. I'm not saying it's not true, but if Aerosmith, Rush and Sting have problems.....Van Hagar definitely will.

L.S.D.
07-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
Unfortunately, this isn't credible news. I'm not saying it's not true, but if Aerosmith, Rush and Sting have problems.....Van Hagar definitely will.

Everybody is. But Van hagar is still selling more than most.

BrownSound1
07-14-2004, 12:40 PM
I think the biggest cause of the drop in attendance at concerts is the outrageous price. I'd pay 90 bucks to see the original VH again, but I wouldn't pay that for anyone else...except for maybe Led Zeppelin. I wouldn't even pay 90 bucks to see Dave....especially when I can go for free. :D

EmpyreLounge44
07-14-2004, 12:45 PM
the numbers given were for the arena's in pitt.

im surprised by aerosmith since they have the new disc out that is actually pretty good. people must not like the blues

DLR_EngineRoom
07-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by L.S.D.
Everybody is. But Van hagar is still selling more than most.

LOL yeah because it's a FACT that they've been giving away free/cheap tickets.

The Rock says: It doesn't matter how many seats Van Hagar sell, THEY STILL SUCK

Stone Cold Steve Austin says: What?

ALinChainz
07-14-2004, 01:19 PM
DLR_ER ...

Happy Birthday. Hope it's a damn good'un.

DLR_EngineRoom
07-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
DLR_ER ...

Happy Birthday. Hope it's a damn good'un.

Thank you.....thank you very much...

Wayne L.
07-14-2004, 02:01 PM
I think what this article means is that real rock & roll bands like Van Halen & Aerosmith who made it on their music, their shows, their image & their attitude alone before MTV are becoming extinct even though they already made history a long time ago with timeless classic rock albums & timeless rock classics before so called comebacks while these other artists will fade into oblivion!!!

Mezro
07-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Happy Birthday man. Good to have another Simmons bro in the Army!

Mezro...enjoy your day and don't forget to frost her cake...

Terry
07-14-2004, 05:30 PM
With concert arenas in the 20,000 seating range experiencing sluggish ticket sales all around, it's gonna take something special to get people to pay these ticket prices.

Don't think a reunited classic lienup would have any problem selling out these arenas Van Hagar's playing in, though.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Figs
Aerosmith and Kiss have been touring a decent amount over the last few years. How many times can you see the same thing? Not to mention Kiss is sans two less important original members. And tickets aren't cheap...

That's actually a good point...

Aerosmith and KISS were both touring (together) last year, and then both again separately in 2001.....

Three tours in four years is a bit much, espeically if you're not putting out any new material....

And no, I don't consider that blues album Aerosmith put out as new material....

Halen High
07-14-2004, 09:13 PM
The Van Hagar ticket prices are ridiculous and definately a factor.

But there was no way a reunion with Sammy was ever going to be big. Remember the media coverage when it was announced? Other than Melodicrock, it was largely ignored.

It probably says something when a guy in Tasmania breaks the story.