• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

AP Source: Nets to send Martin to Denver for three No. 1 picks

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer

July 15, 2004

Kenyon Martin was on the verge of being traded Thursday from the New Jersey Nets to the Denver Nuggets for three future first-round draft picks, a source told The Associated Press.

The deal was the result of several days of on-and-off talks between the teams, the Nuggets successfully resisting New Jersey president Rod Thorn's efforts to acquire Nene as a replacement for Martin at power forward.

The draft picks will include one of the Nuggets' own picks, along with two picks from a pool of three formerly belonging to the Los Angeles Clippers, Washington Wizards and Philadelphia 76ers. There are varying levels of draft lottery protection on the three picks, though none are protected beyond 2006, according to a source closely involved in the trade discussions who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The trade, expected to be completed later Thursday, will be a sign-and-trade deal -- Martin signing a seven-year contract with New Jersey and then immediately being shipped to the Nuggets for the three picks.

The Nets declined to comment Thursday.

Denver can absorb Martin's salary without having to trade any payroll back because it is far enough under the cap to absorb Martin's first-year salary -- nearly $11 million if Martin gets the maximum amount allowed under collective bargaining rules.

The Nuggets will still have salary cap space remaining after the trade, though the exact amount will be determined by the structure of Martin's new contract.

Martin, the overall No. 1 pick of the 2000 draft, averaged 16.7 points and 9.5 rebounds last season. He is known as one of league's best defensive forwards.

Martin is a restricted free agent, meaning the Nets have the right to match any offer he receives. But the Nuggets were reportedly set to offer Martin a front-loaded contract with a hefty signing bonus, and the luxury tax ramifications would have been costly for incoming Nets owner Bruce Ratner.

But by losing one of the team's best players, the value of the franchise Ratner is acquiring has been diminished -- at least on the court. New Jersey won two straight Eastern Conference championships before being ousted last season in a seven-game second-round series against the eventual champion Detroit Pistons.

The Nets have little depth at power forward, with third-year forward Brian Scalabrine and veteran Aaron Williams the most likely candidates to step into Martin's old spot. Rodney Rogers, the Nets' other backup power forward last season, is a free agent.

The addition of Martin will strengthen Denver's frontcourt, which already includes Marcus Camby, Carmelo Anthony and Nene. The Nuggets next pressing need will be acquiring a shooting guard -- either a backup to Voshon Lenard or someone who can compete with him to be the starter.

Martin also had been heavily courted by the Atlanta Hawks, who have more salary cap space than any other NBA team but have been unable to find a top-tier free agent willing to take it.
  • THEGREAT JT
    Full On Cocktard
    • Jul 2004

Thank you so much al for posting this very valuable information. Now, that I know kenyon martin (who by the way has an ape as his father) is going to play in denver next year I can finally relax. I was very, very concerned about this indeed. I can still picture that coon with his hand next to his dumbo years trying to get the crowd pumped up before a playoff game against Detroit, which they went on to lose by 40. What would we do without you al, we'd probably have to, uh, watch espn or something.

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

If you could afford it loser, cable costs money, and you're scum.

Do they let you watch ESPN in jail?

What is it Joe, going to keep registering under different names and keep getting banned?

Just can't take it huh.

Seems like you can't do without communicating with me, you creepy, stalking, homo.

People figuring out who you are on the Wall, so best change the name huh Thud?

Can't get rid of that smell though, you're still a loser.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

JOE THUNDER, RACIST MORON

Originally posted by THEGREAT JT
        Thank you so much al for posting this very valuable information. Now, that I know kenyon martin (who by the way has an ape as his father) is going to play in denver next year I can finally relax. I was very, very concerned about this indeed. I can still picture that coon with his hand next to his dumbo years trying to get the crowd pumped up before a playoff game against Detroit, which they went on to lose by 40. What would we do without you al, we'd probably have to, uh, watch espn or something.

Oh you mean ESPN where you claim to have been a ring announcer on TV last week???

Lying, racist moron.

Tell everyone here how YOU run this site, and how you're going to FIRE Sarge's ass. And how you're going to shut this site down if DLR doesnt make an announcement.

While you're at it. Why not entertain the readers with your prediction that DLR and VH was reuniting for the Siuperbowl last year?

Keep changing your name Joe, thyey'll keep banning you.

fuckstick
        Originally posted by Kristy
        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
        Originally posted by cadaverdog
        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...