X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TongueNGroove
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2004

Roth better with VH or Vai?

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am a newb here and I want to hear new opinions.

Was Roth more at home with VH or when he had Vai?

IMO, Roth definitely found his niche when he hired on Vai and Sheehan to create those phenomenal albums (Eat 'Em and Smile and Skyscraper). I think those albums FAR outweigh anything he ever did with VH. Don't get me wrong I love Panama/Hot For Teacher/etc.., but I think he was at his coolest when he had Vai. Their personality’s just seemed to fit better. Maybe it was the videos mixed in with the music, but there was just something about that DLR era that struck a chord with me.

You all shouldn't be whining about how DLR needs to get back with VH, you should be whining about how he needs to get back with Vai and Sheehan!
    -We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "Smart"?

-If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier.
  • MERRYKISSMASS2U
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

dave w/ Vh is better i believe. 1984 was very good, just a bit too commercial.. i still rock out to Jump

Comment

• Snoo

This question troubles me highly. Not because I think one or the other far outweighs each other...but because Dave is only remembered with Eddie and Vai. If not for the tragic case of Becker coming down with Lou Gehrig's disease...he could've brought Dave up to the level he was at with Ed and Vai, and maybe higher.

Comment

• EddieFan4Ever
        Roadie
        • Jul 2004

To me....Dave with VH all the way. I love the first 2 solo cds....great stuff. But it was VH Junior to me in alot of ways too. All great stuff...but the real deal is VH.
        "Simply said....God is Ed!!"

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

all 59 classic van halen tracks kick ass, whereas some Dave songs kind of stink, like "Stand Up"! what a great performer: hundreds of songs and one is not so good! never deny the faith

Comment

• rockvanhalen66
            Foot Soldier
            • Jun 2004

dlr with vh.
            long live van halen

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Well this is a no-brainer..........Of course it's Dave with Ed, that's a legendary combo that will never be matched. But I LOVE EEAS and Skyscraper.....

Comment

• BrownSound1
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

For me it is all about the songs, and EVH's songs are better than Vai's. EEAS was great..so was Skyscraper, but Vai's writing started getting too "out there." Steve is a super nice guy and tremendous guitar talent, but I think his songwriting is a bit lacking.

Comment

• lms
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Apr 2004

Dave with VH. I like Dave regardless of who he is with, but Dave with VH was hungry and determined... VH after Dave left a lot to be desired, but Dave after VH does too as far as dedication, commitment, sticktoitivness...An album here and an album there....a song here and a song there does not even come close to 1978-1984.
                  "Remember, life is just a game and no one gets out alive"

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                    Commando
                    • May 2004

DLR and ED, all the way!!!!!! They had a serious kick ass chemistry. I never cared much for Vai's guitar tone. He is a great player though.

Comment

• DR CHIP
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Jan 2004

I think the better answer is that Dave is Dave no matter who plays guitar...

Dave brings VH to whatever musical forum he decides to work within....

Now as to who the better guitar player is between Vai and Ed......

Comment

• Mezro
                        Full Member Status

• May 2004

Roth + VH = perfection
                        Roth + Vai = sky high
                        Roth + Becker = fireworks
                        Roth + Holmes = go home Joe
                        Roth + Kilgore = snore...out the door
                        Roth + John 5 = still alive
                        Roth + Hartman = cut short
                        Roth + anybody else from a VH cover band = safe

Mezro...you can't beat Dave and Ed..like peanut butter and velcro...only more hooks that stick...
                        Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• Thetruthbaby
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jun 2004

BETTER WITH ED VH

Better with Ed VH. Also it's a little unfair since Vai only did 2 records with Dave. We don't know what they could have done had they found a way to stick it out together but I will admit Skyscraper deviated too far from what I want to hear DLR doing. By the way my fave DLR album has always been ALAEnough. I think from cover to cover it's the strongest most consistent of all the DLR albums. "Baby's On Fire" is easily better than any fucking thing VHAGAR ever did.
                          DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Ultimately, nobody will remember Dave with Vai.

Dave and Ed's histories are attached at the hip, which Ed would love to have replaced.

Comment

• tobinentinc
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2004

Let's see what song is better known?? Jump or Yankee Rose?
                              http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

Working...