PDA

View Full Version : Roth better with VH or Vai?

TongueNGroove
07-16-2004, 12:37 AM
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am a newb here and I want to hear new opinions.

Was Roth more at home with VH or when he had Vai?

IMO, Roth definitely found his niche when he hired on Vai and Sheehan to create those phenomenal albums (Eat 'Em and Smile and Skyscraper). I think those albums FAR outweigh anything he ever did with VH. Don't get me wrong I love Panama/Hot For Teacher/etc.., but I think he was at his coolest when he had Vai. Their personality’s just seemed to fit better. Maybe it was the videos mixed in with the music, but there was just something about that DLR era that struck a chord with me.

You all shouldn't be whining about how DLR needs to get back with VH, you should be whining about how he needs to get back with Vai and Sheehan!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-16-2004, 12:39 AM
dave w/ Vh is better i believe. 1984 was very good, just a bit too commercial.. i still rock out to Jump

Snoo
07-16-2004, 12:41 AM
This question troubles me highly. Not because I think one or the other far outweighs each other...but because Dave is only remembered with Eddie and Vai. If not for the tragic case of Becker coming down with Lou Gehrig's disease...he could've brought Dave up to the level he was at with Ed and Vai, and maybe higher.

EddieFan4Ever
07-16-2004, 12:43 AM
To me....Dave with VH all the way. I love the first 2 solo cds....great stuff. But it was VH Junior to me in alot of ways too. All great stuff...but the real deal is VH.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
07-16-2004, 12:44 AM
all 59 classic van halen tracks kick ass, whereas some Dave songs kind of stink, like "Stand Up"! what a great performer: hundreds of songs and one is not so good! never deny the faith

rockvanhalen66
07-16-2004, 01:11 AM
dlr with vh.

Bill Lumbergh
07-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Well this is a no-brainer..........Of course it's Dave with Ed, that's a legendary combo that will never be matched. But I LOVE EEAS and Skyscraper.....

BrownSound1
07-16-2004, 02:49 AM
For me it is all about the songs, and EVH's songs are better than Vai's. EEAS was great..so was Skyscraper, but Vai's writing started getting too "out there." Steve is a super nice guy and tremendous guitar talent, but I think his songwriting is a bit lacking.

lms
07-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Dave with VH. I like Dave regardless of who he is with, but Dave with VH was hungry and determined... VH after Dave left a lot to be desired, but Dave after VH does too as far as dedication, commitment, sticktoitivness...An album here and an album there....a song here and a song there does not even come close to 1978-1984.

ULTRAMAN VH
07-16-2004, 11:15 AM
DLR and ED, all the way!!!!!! They had a serious kick ass chemistry. I never cared much for Vai's guitar tone. He is a great player though.

DR CHIP
07-16-2004, 03:01 PM
I think the better answer is that Dave is Dave no matter who plays guitar...

Dave brings VH to whatever musical forum he decides to work within....

Now as to who the better guitar player is between Vai and Ed......;)

Mezro
07-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Roth + VH = perfection
Roth + Vai = sky high
Roth + Becker = fireworks
Roth + Holmes = go home Joe
Roth + Kilgore = snore...out the door
Roth + John 5 = still alive
Roth + Hartman = cut short
Roth + anybody else from a VH cover band = safe

Mezro...you can't beat Dave and Ed..like peanut butter and velcro...only more hooks that stick...

Thetruthbaby
07-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Better with Ed VH. Also it's a little unfair since Vai only did 2 records with Dave. We don't know what they could have done had they found a way to stick it out together but I will admit Skyscraper deviated too far from what I want to hear DLR doing. By the way my fave DLR album has always been ALAEnough. I think from cover to cover it's the strongest most consistent of all the DLR albums. "Baby's On Fire" is easily better than any fucking thing VHAGAR ever did.

Warham
07-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Ultimately, nobody will remember Dave with Vai.

Dave and Ed's histories are attached at the hip, which Ed would love to have replaced.

tobinentinc
07-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Let's see what song is better known?? Jump or Yankee Rose?

guwapo_rocker
07-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Ahhh sheeeeese beautiful alright!

TwoFoolsAMinute
07-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Good question. I think the vai/sheehan band was likely one of the most technically proficient rock bands ever. Eat Em and Smile is likely the Album I would choose of any on which DLR has participated. However, though it was a great work, there's something about that old Van Halen sound that was right. If the question is, "where was he most at home?" I have to say Van Halen. Van Halen created the sound that DLR later adapted to Vai. Via and Ed are such vastly different types of guitarist, I could not say who was the best of the two, but I do know this: They both did their best work under the guidance of David Lee Roth.

guwapo_rocker
07-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute
They both did their best work under the guidance of David Lee Roth.

That is a great post!! A vote for you!

VHFan
07-17-2004, 12:29 PM
This is a no brainer, even though he was pretty good with Vai, I still have to say DLR /w VH from the AMOUNT of killer material they both put out together...The album 1984 and after their final tour ended around August/Sept. '84 the VH legacy continued, but not nearly to the same level it was before...:-(

SoCalChelle
07-17-2004, 01:14 PM
I think he was better with Ed, but he was great with Vai too. I'd go see a reunion with either one. :)

Wayne L.
07-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Eddie took Dave farther than he has ever gone or ever WILL go when he was a member of Van Halen & those six VH classic rock albums while Steve Vai is a great rock guitarist in his own right it's DLR who is in control of his backup band!!!

TongueNGroove
07-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute
I could not say who was the best of the two, but I do know this: They both did their best work under the guidance of David Lee Roth.

Ever heard of "Passion and Warfare"? Ever heard of "5150"? THey both did great work David, but they did just as good work(Eddie) and even better(Vai) away form Dave.

Lest ye forget, the Guitar player writes the songs. They come up with the music and ideas. The lead singer (atleast in Daves case) meerely writes the lyrics and helps with vocal melodies. This is no where near the contribution the guitar players make/made.

If I had to order importance of instrument in the two bands I would do it like so:

Van Halen: Guitar, Drums, Vocals, Bass

DLR with Vai: Guitar, Vocals, Bass, Drums

Hence, DLR made a bigger contribution with Vai than with VanHalen, and IMO it really showed. Not only in the music, but in the whole band vibe and look.

TwoFoolsAMinute
07-18-2004, 01:28 AM
http://www.landsedge.150m.com/sheep.jpg
Hand me them shears!

scottydabodi
07-18-2004, 01:36 AM
Anyone who thinks Dave JUST write lyrics and melodies is SEVERELY retarded. Dave is the ONLY guy whoe would tell Ed to "Keep this riff-it's great! Throw this other riff out cuz it SUX!" Ed thinks he's the greatest guitarist ever, and naturally he doesn't think ANY of his riffs suck... PROBLEM IS that most of 'em do. That's why we've had 19 years of the same pussyass fruitcake tunes... Hagar ain't sayin' shit to Ed about his riffs suckin' cuz either 1.Hagar doesn't KNOW any better, 2.Scared that Ed will fire him, or 3.Doesn't give a fuck. All three seem reasonable to me, and all three are HIGHLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!! F-HAGAR and F-ED!!! No more mediocrity!!!!

secrets
07-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
Well this is a no-brainer..........Of course it's Dave with Ed, that's a legendary combo that will never be matched. But I LOVE EEAS and Skyscraper.....

Exactly. Dave was best in Van Halen. Van Halen was best with Dave. End of story.