Clear All
  • Northern Girl
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Newspaper poll results. Dave preferred.

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune

Readers: Who's better, Dave or Sammy?
    July 16, 2004 VANHALEN0716.BAR

Readers of startribune.com have spoken. In an informal survey, they overwhelmingly prefer David Lee Roth over Sammy Hagar as Van Halen's lead singer.

Here is what some of the the band's fans had to say via e-mail.

Van Halen quite simply rocked with every part of its anatomy while Van Hagar sounded a bit more like a neutered Ken doll trying to play at rock.

Jason Nagel, St. Paul

The chemistry of the Diamond Dave era was so different than Sammy -- so much friction, so much tension and all moving at light speed, which created some very volatile and emotion-packed music. During Sammy's era they were all too buddy-buddy to really create any serious heat.

Carter S. Kohlmeyer,

Associated PressSan Francisco

David Lee Roth by far. Yes, Sammy Hagar did give Van Halen a deeper meaning in lyrics, but that was never what the original Van Halen was about. The true Van Halen was about rock 'n' roll.

Melissa Stewart Plymouth

Sammy Hagar is a horrible lyricist and a very annoying singer. There is only one Van Halen. It's like comparing Ozzy Osbourne to Ronnie James Dio.

Erik Aivazian, Toronto

Roth brought the band to the top, Sammy kept it there. Sammy was a better songwriter, Dave more of an attraction. I'm guessing that Sammy has more money from royalties, and Dave will be known much longer. And, frankly, he's more fun, period.

Carlos GonzalezStar TribuneJohn Kerns, Minneapolis

When you went to a Van Halen show it was like New Year's Eve every night. They made the party happen. Dave is "out there," but that's why I love the guy. You go to a Van Hagar concert to enjoy the music and hear Eddie do "Eruption." Sammy is boring.

Tom Mitchell Minneapolis

With David Lee Roth, the music rocked. Now it's flat and generic.

Laura Deangelis Hamden, Conn.

Diamond Dave is a rock god, among the greatest; Sammy is Sammy, that's all -- he is what he is. David Lee Roth climbs mountains, goes on safaris, kayaks, and he is a martial-arts expert, a pilot, EMT, fluent in Spanish, etc. Sammy sells tequila to his red heads; he is a bad imitation of Jimmy Buffett. Dave is, was and will always be the storm, the ferocity that was Van Halen.
    Same ole song and dance...
  • Snow Ho
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2004

thanks for the post. and what a shocker!

Comment

• 55starfire
      Full On Cocktard
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Northern Girl
      the ferocity that WAS Van Halen.

love that quote!

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Northern Girl
        From the Minneapolis Star Tribune

Readers: Who's better, Dave or Sammy?
        July 16, 2004 VANHALEN0716.BAR

Readers of startribune.com have spoken. In an informal survey, they overwhelmingly prefer David Lee Roth over Sammy Hagar as Van Halen's lead singer.

Here is what some of the the band's fans had to say via e-mail.

Van Halen quite simply rocked with every part of its anatomy while Van Hagar sounded a bit more like a neutered Ken doll trying to play at rock.

Jason Nagel, St. Paul

The chemistry of the Diamond Dave era was so different than Sammy -- so much friction, so much tension and all moving at light speed, which created some very volatile and emotion-packed music. During Sammy's era they were all too buddy-buddy to really create any serious heat.

Carter S. Kohlmeyer,

Associated PressSan Francisco

David Lee Roth by far. Yes, Sammy Hagar did give Van Halen a deeper meaning in lyrics, but that was never what the original Van Halen was about. The true Van Halen was about rock 'n' roll.

Melissa Stewart Plymouth

Sammy Hagar is a horrible lyricist and a very annoying singer. There is only one Van Halen. It's like comparing Ozzy Osbourne to Ronnie James Dio.

Erik Aivazian, Toronto

Roth brought the band to the top, Sammy kept it there. Sammy was a better songwriter, Dave more of an attraction. I'm guessing that Sammy has more money from royalties, and Dave will be known much longer. And, frankly, he's more fun, period.

Carlos GonzalezStar TribuneJohn Kerns, Minneapolis

When you went to a Van Halen show it was like New Year's Eve every night. They made the party happen. Dave is "out there," but that's why I love the guy. You go to a Van Hagar concert to enjoy the music and hear Eddie do "Eruption." Sammy is boring.

Tom Mitchell Minneapolis

With David Lee Roth, the music rocked. Now it's flat and generic.

Laura Deangelis Hamden, Conn.

Diamond Dave is a rock god, among the greatest; Sammy is Sammy, that's all -- he is what he is. David Lee Roth climbs mountains, goes on safaris, kayaks, and he is a martial-arts expert, a pilot, EMT, fluent in Spanish, etc. Sammy sells tequila to his red heads; he is a bad imitation of Jimmy Buffett. Dave is, was and will always be the storm, the ferocity that was Van Halen.
        Suspicions confirmed.....do you gotz the link?

I'd like to 'Send This Article' to bradman@van-halen.com

'tz whatcha call a Fair Warning Uppercut...!
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
        http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Somebody toss that firebomb over to the VH links...pretty please

Comment

• Northern Girl
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
            Suspicions confirmed.....do you gotz the link?

Follow the StarTribune for the news, photos and videos from the Twin Cities and beyond.
            Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

In contrast, there was a Toilet Paper poll that liked Sammy better.

Go figure.

Comment

• LeeRoth
                Full On Cocktard
                • Mar 2004

What's with the "Shambo" was a better songwriter. Well at least they understand who's the better frontman.

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

Spammy's lyrics can't hold a candle to Daves. As I told a friend recently, who happens to be a Hagar sheep, for every 1 decent Spam song you name I'll name 3 Dave tunes. And thats just off the top of my head. "When its Love"? How about "Secrets", "Light up the Sky", and "Sinners Swing"? No fucking contest, Dave kicks the shit out of Spammy! I told him to name ANY Spammy tune as good as "UNCHAINED", knowing full well he couldn't.....and he did not!

Comment

• tobinentinc
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2004

Great Article, except the thing about Dio and Ozzy, it wasn't the same situation, Sabbath had already began to slump, while VH was at their top. Plus, Dio fucking rocks, and Ozzy is Ozzy.
                    http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

What a shock!!!! The public at large prefers the Classic Lineup!

I would have never guessed.

Comment

• muffinman14
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Jun 2004

A proud day for this Minnesotan, We know the real shit up here!

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Nice comments !
                          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                            What a shock!!!! The public at large prefers the Classic Lineup!

I would have never guessed.

Imagine if all across AMERICA newspapers did this kind of poll....and the answers came in.....wait, the answer is in...look at the attendance at the Sham Halen tour. The ENTIRE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA prefer DAVID LEE ROTH to Spammy Hagar! The shocking thing(to the Sheep only) is HOW FEW VAN HAGAR FANS are really out there!

Comment

• Halen High
                              Commando
                              • Jul 2004

Thanks Northern Girl!

I bet it kills Hagar every time he reads stuff like this.

Comment

Working...