PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone loves Hagar

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 03:19 PM
I don't know if this was already reported but Van Halen got 4 stars in the Live! Review of Rolling Stone magazine.

guwapo_rocker
07-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Samsonite
I don't know if this was already reported but Van Halen got 4 stars in the Live! Review of Rolling Stone magazine.

What do you know luggage, you're a fucking suitcase!!:D

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Touche...they even take a shot at Dave..."Hagar's singing maintained a perfect balance between power and insouciance, underscoring the band's party-hearty aesthetic without undercutting the melodies (a trick former frontman Dave Lee Roth never managed)."

It was the Toronto concert.

Roth kills Sam
07-16-2004, 03:24 PM

It wasn't reported, since nobody gives a crap about Van Gaybar and their miserable, failing tour. This is not www.FagHomoGayVanGaybar.com

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Roth kills Sam
It wasn't reported, since nobody gives a crap about Van Gaybar and their miserable, failing tour. This is not www.FagHomoGayVanGaybar.com

Then...why is it always mentioned on this board...and why is there a sticky...about the tours success?

Van Gaybar...that's a good one...

Roth kills Sam
07-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Then...why is it always mentioned on this board...and why is there a sticky...about the tours success?

Van Gaybar...that's a good one...

The sticky is referring to the lack of success...

Van Gaybar is a good one...

another good one is Van Faggot Homo Halen

and yet another is Van-3-Old-Queers-Halen

EmpyreLounge44
07-16-2004, 03:29 PM
got a link?

guwapo_rocker
07-16-2004, 03:29 PM
what does insouciance mean??

Roth kills Sam
07-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
got a link?

Yes -

www.FagHomoGayVanGaybar.com

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
got a link?

To where I read it? They don't put concert reviews up on their site...but I'll type it...if you want me to...

Roth kills Sam
07-16-2004, 03:34 PM
They don't put concert reviews up on their site...but I'll type it...if you want me to...

Here, let me save you the time:

"Van Homo Gaybar sucked last night. All the songs sucked. All of the playing sucked. They all looked like crap. Ed still has only has half a tongue. Go see the Cure."

There.

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Reunion tours generally range from pale imitation to bitter disappointment; as a rule, any band that breaks up and then gets back together is never the same as before. In one sense, Van Halen's reformation with singer Sammy Hagar followed that pattern: The band wasn't as good as it used to be - it was better.
Whatever problems may have kept the band off the road for the last half-decade (guitarist Eddie Van Halen's fight with cancer, Hagar's attitude, drummer Alex Van Halen's hearing, bassist Michael Anthony's irrelevance) are gone without a trace. This Van Halen seemed more energetic and enthusiastic than they did a decade ago, during their last outing with Hagar (supporting 1995's Balance). From the explosive opening of "Jump" to the fistpumping choruses in "Best of Both Worlds," the band managed to make its big hits seem even bigger onstage. It helped that Eddie played brilliantly throughout, handling the rhythm lick in "Why Can't This Be Love?" with one hand and lending an almost incandescent virtuosity to "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." But this was no one-man show. Hagar's singing maintained a perfect balance between power and insouciance, underscoring the band's party-hearty aesthetic without undercutting the melodies (a trick former frontman David Lee Roth never managed). And between Anthony's bass pulse and Alex's tastefully virtuosic drumming, "Unchained" and "You Really Got Me" were unstoppable juggernauts.
Far from being outclassed by the solid-gold oldies, the band's new material - particularly "Up for Breakfast" and the stomping "It's About Time" - was solid and inspiring. In all, the reconstituted Van Halen came across as a band, not some collection of competing personalities and agendas - and based on this night's performance, it looks like they're just warming up.

ALinChainz
07-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Yep, in front of that big bad average of 7,000 fans.

The new songs SUCK royally.

Rolling Stone isn't the same as before either.

Notice how the Roth songs are the crowd faves at every show.

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Well...he mentioned 4 Roth songs...and 4 Sammy songs...so where'd you get that from?

Roth kills Sam
07-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Reunion tours generally range from pale imitation to bitter disappointment;

this tour has been in the range of SUCK and REALLY SUCKS

[/i]
as a rule, any band that breaks up and then gets back together is never the same as before.[/QUOTE]

This one just got worse

[/i]
In one sense, Van Halen's reformation with singer Sammy Hagar followed that pattern: [/QUOTE]

suck... sucks.... really sucks.... really really friggin sucks

[/i]
The band wasn't as good as it used to be - it was better.[/QUOTE]

Better than who? Moby?

[/i]
Whatever problems may have kept the band off the road for the last half-decade (guitarist Eddie Van Halen's fight with cancer, Hagar's attitude, drummer Alex Van Halen's hearing, bassist Michael Anthony's irrelevance) are gone without a trace. This Van Halen seemed more energetic and enthusiastic than they did a decade ago, during their last outing with Hagar (supporting 1995's Balance). [/QUOTE]

No mention of Ed's genius move of hiring Cherone?

[/i]
From the explosive opening of "Jump" to the fistpumping choruses in "Best of Both Worlds," the band managed to make its big hits seem even bigger onstage. [/QUOTE]

No mention of "Love Walks In"?

[/i]
It helped that Eddie played brilliantly throughout, handling the rhythm lick in "Why Can't This Be Love?" with one hand and lending an almost incandescent virtuosity to "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." [/QUOTE]

With the other hand he was holding a Heineken

[/i]
But this was no one-man show. Hagar's singing maintained a perfect balance between power and insouciance, [/QUOTE]

and between SHRILL and VOMIT

[/i]
underscoring the band's party-hearty aesthetic without undercutting the melodies (a trick former frontman David Lee Roth never managed). [/QUOTE]

What trick is that? Screwing the fans? Writing poor songs?

[/i]
And between Anthony's bass pulse and Alex's tastefully virtuosic drumming, "Unchained" and "You Really Got Me" were unstoppable juggernauts.[/QUOTE]

Sammy is an unstoppable juggernaut on the buffet line... and the gay fag homo circle jerk

[/i]
Far from being outclassed by the solid-gold oldies, the band's new material - particularly "Up for Breakfast" and the stomping "It's About Time" - was solid and inspiring. [/QUOTE]

Yeah... the new songs inspire gay fag homo love (Brett Norton love)

[/i]
In all, the reconstituted Van Halen came across as a band, not some collection of competing personalities and agendas - and based on this night's performance, it looks like they're just warming up. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, they're warming up for the Gary Cherone reunion tour next summer

ALinChainz
07-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Well...he mentioned 4 Roth songs...and 4 Sammy songs...so where'd you get that from?

From the actual reviews of the shows that have taken place so far, which includes the one here in my home town and from what I've been told by a couple DJ friends of mine here.

You have heard the new songs, right?

guwapo_rocker
07-16-2004, 03:56 PM
That review reeks of payola. The new songs just plain reek!!!

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Yea I've heard them...Up For Breakfast and It's about time are alright...I don't like...Learning To See? I'm not sure if that's the title...

Roth Kills Sam...having some trouble editing your post?

Roth kills Sam
07-16-2004, 03:58 PM
Roth Kills Sam...having some trouble editing your post?

I am having trouble unzipping my fly for your mom

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 04:00 PM

Hmm...good one...nicely played....

Roth kills Sam
07-16-2004, 04:00 PM

OK, she got it... all is well

BrownSound1
07-16-2004, 04:04 PM
Rolling Stone...oh yeah that's a magazine that knows what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Brownsound1
Rolling Stone...oh yeah that's a magazine that knows what they're talking about. :rolleyes:

Sigh...why doesn't it?

Hummarstra
07-16-2004, 04:07 PM
People who write for RS went to journalism school are musical idiots. It's true!!

Figs
07-16-2004, 04:10 PM
"Alex's tastefully virtuosic drumming"

He's quite good, better than average, but a virtuoso?

BrownSound1
07-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Sigh...why doesn't it?

Rolling Stone is the same bonehead magazine that panned bands like Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Oh yeah, they really knew what they were talking about there...

guwapo_rocker
07-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Figs
"Alex's tastefully virtuosic drumming"

He's quite good, better than average, but a virtuoso?

I wonder how much this guy spent on the 20 beers

he had before going to this show!!

Samsonite
07-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Well then...I'd guess you'd need to find out who wrote it...since the magazine isn't written by one person...J.D. Considine.

Big Worm
07-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Damn straight Brownie

Cathedral
07-16-2004, 04:15 PM
I canceled my subscription to Rolling Stone in 1985. I never got an issue that was worth a damn...Calvin Klein sold a shitload of clothes though.

BrownSound1
07-16-2004, 04:15 PM
One thing I forgot to add....Look at Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists list. They don't even have EVH in the top fucking 20!! What a bunch of geniouses.

ALinChainz
07-16-2004, 04:17 PM
That right there should be enough to convince the Van Hagar fans.

They dissed Eddie heavy by ranking him WAY DOWN THERE.

EmpyreLounge44
07-16-2004, 05:12 PM
not a fan of rolling stone myself but its just a review....its the same as every other review...there have been good or bad. the bad ones are genuises, but the good ones are drunk hacks. form your own opinion sheep, dont just jump on what a journalist says

that guitarist list was junk but at least they gave some press to my boy robert randolph

VHFan
07-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Here's something that'll really add insult to injury...Take a look at Rolling Stone's "Top 100" list of all time greatest guitarists...How the fuck does Jack White of the WHite Stripes beat out Eddie VH, and how the FUck is Eddie ranked at #69 or #70...I can understand how they would chose Jimi Hendrix to be #1 (even though he isn't in my opinion)....The other 68 or 69, above Eddie I'ld probably put him a little to ENORMOUSLY higher in number below him...Based on Eddie's playing in the DLR y ears and the Club days to around 5150 he'ld easily crack the TOP 5 ALL TIME maybe even the TOP 3 of all time...

l8r folks

Wayne L.
07-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Rolling Stone isn't the same magazine it was when it began almost 40 years ago which is why it's meaningless nowadays but I'm glad they gave VH 4 stars on their reunion tour!!!

TLR
07-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Wait a second here. Van Halen has some new songs out? Van Halen is on tour? I'll be...

BigDaddyD
07-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Rolling Stone has sucked for years now. I haven't picked one up in at least 2 yrs.

bru87tr
07-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Rolling Stone has always been a joke and everyobody knows that.

BrownSound1
07-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Well, I've never been one to listen to reviewers anyway...I've always trusted my own ear. I just get tired of magazines telling me how great someone is like John Mayer, when in fact he sucks donkey balls. Rolling Stone is notorious for dissing a great band, then when the band gets huge they are there on their knees sucking their cocks.

EddieFan4Ever
07-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Reunion tours generally range from pale imitation to bitter disappointment; as a rule, any band that breaks up and then gets back together is never the same as before. In one sense, Van Halen's reformation with singer Sammy Hagar followed that pattern: The band wasn't as good as it used to be - it was better.
Whatever problems may have kept the band off the road for the last half-decade (guitarist Eddie Van Halen's fight with cancer, Hagar's attitude, drummer Alex Van Halen's hearing, bassist Michael Anthony's irrelevance) are gone without a trace. This Van Halen seemed more energetic and enthusiastic than they did a decade ago, during their last outing with Hagar (supporting 1995's Balance). From the explosive opening of "Jump" to the fistpumping choruses in "Best of Both Worlds," the band managed to make its big hits seem even bigger onstage. It helped that Eddie played brilliantly throughout, handling the rhythm lick in "Why Can't This Be Love?" with one hand and lending an almost incandescent virtuosity to "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." But this was no one-man show. Hagar's singing maintained a perfect balance between power and insouciance, underscoring the band's party-hearty aesthetic without undercutting the melodies (a trick former frontman David Lee Roth never managed). And between Anthony's bass pulse and Alex's tastefully virtuosic drumming, "Unchained" and "You Really Got Me" were unstoppable juggernauts.
Far from being outclassed by the solid-gold oldies, the band's new material - particularly "Up for Breakfast" and the stomping "It's About Time" - was solid and inspiring. In all, the reconstituted Van Halen came across as a band, not some collection of competing personalities and agendas - and based on this night's performance, it looks like they're just warming up.

I agree 100%....minus the Nega-Dave part. Still....as i've seen now 4 times, soon to be 5.....VH still has it.

Matt White
07-16-2004, 10:57 PM
What I find strange is that RS has always dogged VH in the past. They've given them zero respect over the years. Remember that 500 greatest CD issues a few years back, with only 1 VH recording in there? And that Best Guitarist poll was a complete joke. Anybody with a brain and two ears would rank Ed in the top 5 alltime, at the very least!

rustoffa
07-16-2004, 11:04 PM

It's really not worth reporting on. If RS was some kinda magic wand
that changes Pebbles Flintstones into hard rockin' fuckers I'd forge
a press pass and celebrate.

What do you get when you put 4 stars in a bucket of shit?
A bucket of shit with 4 stars in it.

Warham
07-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Rolling Stone blows.

bobthedog
07-17-2004, 08:20 AM

Rolling Stone has always been anti-Dave. If you read the 1985 RS interview with Dave the interviewer was very negative towards him, and Dave hadn't even left VH yet.

On the 1986 cover of RS, after faggy Hagar joined, there was a cover photo of them with the headline, VAN HALEN; HOT AND HAPPY WITHOUT DAVID LEE ROTH. In the interview, all 4 spent most of the interview trashing DAVE even SAMBO.

Out of curiousity, I went to the 5150 show at the LA FORUM IN 1986 and it sucked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly fell asleep. SPAMMY had the nerve to say to the audience, "Hey What You All Doing Here ??? Did You All Read the Rolling Stone Interview ???????" Yeah, FUCH YOU SAMMY YOU DICK-RASH EXTRAODINAIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE YOU SAMMY, YOU WANNABE MEXICANO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try being American you piece of shit SAMMY, YOU SUCK !!!!!!!!!!! LOVE COME WALKIN IN IS ONE OF THE MOST BORING FUCKING SONGS I HAVE EVER HEARD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, and I went to the EAT EM AND SMILE show a few months later and it was awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dave played about 8 VH tunes and everyone had a great time I think :))))

Hollywood Jesus
07-21-2004, 12:07 PM
This is the same magazine that ranked Eddie 70 places below that White Stripes poser for best guitarists ever.

Can you say "Inconsistent Bullshit"? I thought you could.

Wonder who's gonna pay for props in their next issue?

Halen High
07-22-2004, 01:39 AM
Has someone promised Rolling Stone an exclusive interview?

This review is totally at odds with everything I've read in the media so far. The writer even likes the three new tunes, which is a first.

Like Van Halen's music these days, this review doesn't seem real.