PDA

View Full Version : Sales Comparison let's see what happens!

Essar1
07-17-2004, 03:52 PM
A little Van Halen sales history..

The first Greatest Hits album debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts selling 233,423 the first week.

This new greatest hits probably won't sell nearly as many first week because:

*Many of the songs on the new one are also on the first one - why would you buy the whole package again, for the three new songs? See next point.

*The word is out that the three songs are lame, especially after the first single crapped the bed, airplay-wise, stalling outside the top 10. If you really want the three new songs, they'll be on iTunes and the illegal sites soon enough (if they ain't already)

*The hype for the two new songs with Dave, and the short-lived reunion had excitement at a fever pitch (unlike this reunion!)

*This is coming a couple weeks into the tour, missing the initial hoopla and announcements for the tour. That has died down tremendously, especially as the concert going public is voting with their wallets, and saying "no thanks, not interested in seeing the show!"

Despite the points above, there's a lot of songs for the money, and if you are interested in getting most of the best songs from both versions of VH, this is a good place to start.

But what's really screwed is the packaging - WEAK. No liner notes, no booklet, no notes, nothing. If you are new fan and think, "i wonder what album "Everybody Wants Some" is on?" You'll never know that from this CD! How about a few notes from Eddie about the genesis of these songs? How about the album covers from the albums the songs came from? Something to connect the songs with the albums they came from!

Icepickeo
07-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Great point, if you going to re-sell another best of. Why not go all out.I know why they put new songs on a best of, but how could new un-charted songs be concidered Best Of. The Dave Era of VH was always more polished. This Tour and Best of seem rushed to me. No video's and a commercial for the Best of reek's of a band who is done with. Sam said it "96". Best of CD's are for bands who are finished and Why include " Jump Live and other DLR Tunes done by Sam. Why not includemore tunes from Fair Warning. That album is one of their Best and only 1 song was included. I DON'T GET IT.............

Warham
07-18-2004, 08:15 AM
The liner notes for all Van Halen albums suck, but I'm sure Warner Brothers has something to do with the earlier years being that way.

There's no excuse for it now. Fans demand lyrics and credits, plus some info on tracks, lots of thank you's, etc.

All VH has got in this one is some shitty commentary by some Rolling Stone writer.

Panamark
07-18-2004, 09:59 AM
This is without doubt the most non important VH release ever.
Total scam. Unless you want those three songs we already have :)

Matt White
07-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

Absolutely! Could not agree more that this is the biggest scam of their career! After the bland cd art and liner notes (NOT!) for BOVI, Dave said it was Alex/Shemp Van Halens way of erasing Dave from the history of the band. I wonder who is behind this one!?! FUCK Shemp Van Halen and his crackhead sister Ed! DAVID LEE ROTH IS VAN HALEN!!!:killer:

guwapo_rocker
07-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
Absolutely! Could not agree more that this is the biggest scam of their career! After the bland cd art and liner notes (NOT!) for BOVI, Dave said it was Alex/Shemp Van Halens way of erasing Dave from the history of the band. I wonder who is behind this one!?! FUCK Shemp Van Halen and his crackhead sister Ed! DAVID LEE ROTH IS VAN HALEN!!!:killer:

I am positive the biggest reason Dave is not back is

Alex Van Gina and not Eddie,

Matt White
07-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
I am positive the biggest reason Dave is nor back is

Yup, Shemp is one bitter old bastard! I love how in '96 Shemp was spoutin' off how "the Dave of '96 is not the Dave of '84", basically crackin' on how the Diamond one looked. And now that dick butler and his sister look like their 500 years old! Karmas a bitch, ain't it boys!:mad2:

madraoul
07-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

This is just a ploy to rape the younger generation. WB wants to sell the Green Day and Blink182 crowd this reconstituted shit disguised as history. Youngsters, grab yourself a copy of a disc called "Everybody Wants Some" instead. The Beatlesque version of Why Can't This Be Love is way better than the original.

SweetSecrets
07-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Essar1

*The word is out that the three songs are lame, especially after the first single crapped the bed, airplay-wise, stalling outside the top 10. If you really want the three new songs, they'll be on iTunes and the illegal sites soon enough (if they ain't already)

*The hype for the two new songs with Dave, and the short-lived reunion had excitement at a fever pitch (unlike this reunion!)

*This is coming a couple weeks into the tour, missing the initial hoopla and announcements for the tour. That has died down tremendously, especially as the concert going public is voting with their wallets, and saying "no thanks, not interested in seeing the show!"

Unfortunatly for Roth fans like us here at THE ARMY, I don't think Eddie is really paying attention to all that stuff. Sadly but realistically, he is just glad to be playing his songs again.

SweetSecrets
07-18-2004, 03:38 PM
...even though his songs don't sound like his songs anymore.

Warham
07-18-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
I am positive the biggest reason Dave is not back is

Alex is a cunt.

Samsonite
07-18-2004, 05:18 PM
It's also...a pretty cheap CD. 15 bucks for a double disc...

Warham
07-18-2004, 05:58 PM
I heard the cheapest was $20.

Samsonite
07-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Look on Best Buy's website then...

AJW
07-18-2004, 08:02 PM
It will probably sell well just due to the casual music fan will buy it since they don't have the entire VH catalog.

EmpyreLounge44
07-19-2004, 10:31 AM
someone at the links had it already and posted images of the liner notes and packagain and it looked like it had more than just the stupid rollingstone writer's comments. I'll see if I can find and post here. no images to it really at all...VH is just like every other band where the label will continue to put out Greatest Hits every couple of years...how many Doors Best Ofs are there? stupid labels

Thetruthbaby
07-19-2004, 12:30 PM
I remember that this album debuted at #1. I thought it had sold 290,000 its first week. I could be wrong (I'm going from memory). Can anyone provide a link from Billboard perhaps?