PDA

View Full Version : Campaign for Classic Van Halen

secrets
07-17-2004, 05:21 PM
I love this site it's great. Nowhere else is better informed on David Lee Roth and Classic Van Halen.

It's fun debating about how much better DLR and the original VH are compared to this tragic reunion, but is that all we are trying to achieve here? Personally I couldn't care less if someone thinks Van Hagar is better than DLR or classic Van Halen, that's their choice.

We know better. What annoys me is that Van Hagar fans are catered for in terms of live footage. Real Van Halen fans are not, pure and simple. We have to get hold of boots some of which are very poor quality and this is simply unfair. Not to mention questionable from a commercial view point as the original Van Halen out sells Van Hagar by far.

Dave has said there is rare concert footage of Van Halen, perhaps tons of the stuff. The question is will it ever be released? Perhaps if Van Halen themselves, Warner Brothers etc were pressured by enough people and realized the demand for this kind of product it would make the light of day. You would hope so anyway.

How about organizing some kind of petition that could be a standard letter emailed to all the relevant parties.

Here is an example of what I mean:

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

This an example of fans campaigning for what they want. The Star Wars films are unavailable on DVD in their original form so true fans are campaigning for its release.

Will they succeed? Who knows? But at least they are trying.

guwapo_rocker
07-17-2004, 05:55 PM
The thing is Al Van Gina would never agree to it...and he hates

Dave more than Eddie does.

ModernDayWarior
07-17-2004, 06:34 PM
It'll never happen. I'll just have to stick with my bootleg dvd's

secrets
07-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Never? I hope you're wrong. There could be a fortune to be made with a decent DVD of unreleased classic Van Halen concerts. Surely the money has to be an incentive if nothing else.

DLRdelight!
07-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Can anyone help me out on finding bootleg tapes or dvd's of classic Van Halen? Im dying to get my hands one

secrets
07-18-2004, 06:51 AM
Try ebay it's ok. But as always check feedback and never buy outside of the auction. Good luck. BTW Largo '82 and Argentina '83 are definately worth getting if you can.

Wayne L.
07-18-2004, 08:02 AM
I WOULD like see a DVD released with the original VH with classic concert footage from 78-84 since it would bring back memories & the fans who experienced them live in those days like myself but it should be more than the classic Van Halen concert videos on bootleg I have already seen!!!

guwapo_rocker
07-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I WOULD like see a DVD released with the original VH with classic concert footage from 78-84 since it would bring back memories & the fans who experienced them live in those days like myself but it should be more than the classic Van Halen concert videos on bootleg I have already seen!!!

I agree.......shit!:D

DLRdelight!
07-18-2004, 06:00 PM
hanks for the help "secrets"

DLRdelight!
07-18-2004, 06:00 PM
thanks for the help "secrets"

AJW
07-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Largo '82 kicks some major ass. I would love the whole Oakland '81 show on DVD. That would be something.:eek:

secrets
07-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by DLRdelight!
thanks for the help "secrets"

You're welcome.

Originally posted by ajw
Largo '82 kicks some major ass. I would love the whole Oakland '81 show on DVD. That would be something.:eek:

I agree 100%.

Terry
07-19-2004, 10:20 PM
The rights to Star Wars are controlled by Lucas, so that campaign can have an effective focus.

Who the hell really knows who owns the rights to whatever classic Van Halen footage is in the can? Is it WB? Is it EVH, AVH, MA and DLR? Where are the masters?

Difficult to know who to petition if you're not sure where the material is and what parties need to be involved in order to get it released.

Collecting boots has an upside. The quality isn't as good as an official release would be, but there's something to be said for collecting classic audio and video via the black market because you're getting what you want (classic live material) and it's spitting in the face of the greedy Van Halen brothers who have turned their backs on the classic fans.

ModernDayWarior
07-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Don't go ebay and pay for them. Email me and I can give you the dvd's for free.

secrets
07-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Terry
The rights to Star Wars are controlled by Lucas, so that campaign can have an effective focus.

Who the hell really knows who owns the rights to whatever classic Van Halen footage is in the can? Is it WB? Is it EVH, AVH, MA and DLR? Where are the masters?

Difficult to know who to petition if you're not sure where the material is and what parties need to be involved in order to get it released.

Collecting boots has an upside. The quality isn't as good as an official release would be, but there's something to be said for collecting classic audio and video via the black market because you're getting what you want (classic live material) and it's spitting in the face of the greedy Van Halen brothers who have turned their backs on the classic fans.

This actually makes alot of sense. Nice post.

Terry
07-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm pretty curious as to where the original prints of the classic live video are.

Am convinced there is some entanglement over ownership rights, because if they were sitting in WB vaults, and WB legally has the right to release greatest hits albums without VHs consent, then you'd imagine WB would have released some live classic vids by now.

It's possible when VH renegotiated their contract in the mid 90s, VHs management secured the rights to any non-previously released material, with the stipulation that none of it can be released without VHs (which is basically Ed and Al in a legal sense these days) authorization.

Speculation obviously, but might explain why you haven't seen a VH box set loaded with extras put out for sale.

secrets
07-21-2004, 12:46 PM
At the moment it's really only serious fans who will take the time to find boots of classic Van Halen. This means that any potential or casual fans who weren't around in the 80's who might want to check out Van Halen will probably get put off right away with "Live Without A Net" and other Van Hagar stuff.

So one of my concerns is that apart from the six pack, Van Halen's legacy is being bastardized as time goes by with the over exposure of Van Hagar merchandise.

With people like Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Doors etc from the sixties there is decent concert footage available to a new and younger audience. So someone even in their teens now effectively could easily get into that music.

I'm convinced that there is a lot of footage of Van Halen out there that nobody has seen yet. Will we ever get to see it? Let's hope so.

Terry
07-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Shit, the Stones, the Beatles, the Doors, the Who, KISS.......the fans of those bands have been lucky in the sense that various record companies have raped the vaults and put out so much material.

In terms of classic Van Halen, it's been the 6 studio albums, the three promo vids and the two new songs on BOV1....that's it in terms of what you can legally purchase.

Fucking shame and just bad business sense on the part of whoever has the material and rights secured, because there's plenty of money to be made.

secrets
07-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Shit, the Stones, the Beatles, the Doors, the Who, KISS.......the fans of those bands have been lucky in the sense that various record companies have raped the vaults and put out so much material.

In terms of classic Van Halen, it's been the 6 studio albums, the three promo vids and the two new songs on BOV1....that's it in terms of what you can legally purchase.

Fucking shame and just bad business sense on the part of whoever has the material and rights secured, because there's plenty of money to be made.

Sad but true.

steve
07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Eddie and Alex would rather SABATAGE the legacy of the band than admit DLR was as much an influence (let face it - he was 50% of the creative band!) as he was. Think about all the cool stuff they could release...

Van Halen unreleased that I've read about:
Gazzarris vids from 77,
Pro shot LA Sports Arena 79
Professional Camera Crew followed band around on Women and Children 1st Tour 80
Pro shot Oakland 81
Pro Shot US festival 82
Pro Shot D.C./Largo, MD 82
Pro Shots of Argentina 83, Brazil, Venezuela, Uruguay - they could release a DVD for that South American Tour ALONE that would fill up 3 disks of Pro Shot concert footage and interviews (a lot of it in Spanish!)
Pro Shot Madison Square Garden 84

then, a video with various interview snippets and promo videos like the French and Italian TV footage and Pretty Woman Video. You could cap this one off with a "behind the scenes" look at the making of "Hot For Teacher" - there must be miles of footage not used from that one video ALONE - considering how many different sets and scenes were in it.

Finally, DLR could open his vaults to all the HOMEMADE footage that he talks about in Crazy From the Heat and mix something up for the fans from that.

steve
07-22-2004, 09:32 AM
That said...it would probably be more worthwhile to start threads on here pushing DAVE to release concert footage of his SOLO shows.

Supposedly, DLR has Pro-Shot Concert footage...FULL CONCERTS...of the 86 Vai-Sheehan Tour, Skyscraper, and a Lil Ain't Enough...plus, during the Sam and Dave Tour he had full professional camera crews shooting EVERY SINGLE SHOW (see teh NJ show taht year for an example).

Plus, the Dave TV Show from back in 88-89, miles of interview footage, and a video compilation...
shit, how about distributing the No Holds BBQ where his fans could have actually bought it (although...this one is a little abstract for teh average fan - I bought it...and while it was cool the first couple times and is neat to show a friend every once and a while, it's not as accessible as a live concert dvd)

ModernDayWarior
07-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Here's what I have on dvd.

Here is a list of DLR era VH dvd's
VARIOUS RED, RAGE AND MORE-VH+DLR SOLO VIDEOS (2 DVD)
VARIOUS DAVE ERA RARE VIDEO COMP. (1 DVD)
VARIOUS RAPE OF THE VAULTS-PANAMA VIDEO OUTTAKES (1 DVD)
VARIOUS RAPE OF THE VAULTS VOLUME 2-JUMP VIDEO OUTTAKES (1 DVD)
VARIOUS 625/50 THE PAL RARITIES-VIDEO AND LIVE (2 DVD)
10/11/82 LARGO, MD-LARGO 1982 (2 DVD) ***BTB PRODUCTIONS
10/27/82 MONTREAL, CANADA-FLOOR ‘EM AT THE FORUM (2 DVD AUD PC) *DIGITAL REPRODUCTIONS
01/21/83 SAO PAULO, BRAZIL-SAO PAULO ‘83 (1 DVD) ***BTB PRODUCTIONS
02/22/83 BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (1 DVD PRO-SHOT PC)
05/29/83 SAN BERNADINO, CA-US FESTIVAL 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION (2 DVD)
04/19/84 MONTREAL, CANADA-MONTREAL FORUM (1 DVD AUD)

ANd DLR solo
VARIOUS-NO HOLDS BBQ (1 DVD)
06/26/99 VAASA, FINLAND-HOT FOR FINLAND (1 DVD PRO-SHOT PC) *BTB PRODUCTIONS
08/22/02 HARTFORD, CT (1 DVD PRO)
09/13/03 NEW YORK, NY-BEACON THEATER (1 DVD AUD)