PDA

View Full Version : Newsweeks Asst. Mng. Ed.: Media Bias Worth 15-Points for Kerry-Edwards

Sgt Schultz
07-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Sunday, July 18, 2004 12:50 a.m. EDT
Newsweek Big: Media Bias Worth 15-Points for Kerry-Edwards

The American press has dived so deeply into the tank for Sen. John Kerry's presidential bid that they don't even bother concealing their pro-Democrat bias anymore.

"Let’s talk a little media bias here," Newsweek's assistant managing editor Evan Thomas told PBS's "Inside Washington" last week, reports Sunday's New York Post. "The media, I think, wants Kerry to win. And I think they’re going to portray Kerry and Edwards - I’m talking about the establishment media, not Fox, but - they’re going to portray Kerry and Edwards as being young and dynamic and optimistic and all, there’s going to be this glow about them that some, is going to be worth, collectively, the two of them, that’s going to be worth maybe 15 points.”

Newsweek's July 19 issue, "certainly backs up Thomas’ contention," notes the Media Research Center, which first uncovered the amazing admission. "Over a smiling picture on the cover of Kerry and Edwards, Newsweek ever hopefully asks: 'The Sunshine Boys?'”

FORD
07-18-2004, 01:25 PM
The Murdoch Post and Pat Robertson's flunkies complaining about "media bias". Oh the irony is staggering.... I suppose they'll discuss it on FAUX News all week :rolleyes:

BigBadBrian
07-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
Sunday, July 18, 2004 12:50 a.m. EDT
Newsweek Big: Media Bias Worth 15-Points for Kerry-Edwards

The American press has dived so deeply into the tank for Sen. John Kerry's presidential bid that they don't even bother concealing their pro-Democrat bias anymore.

"Let’s talk a little media bias here," Newsweek's assistant managing editor Evan Thomas told PBS's "Inside Washington" last week, reports Sunday's New York Post. "The media, I think, wants Kerry to win. And I think they’re going to portray Kerry and Edwards - I’m talking about the establishment media, not Fox, but - they’re going to portray Kerry and Edwards as being young and dynamic and optimistic and all, there’s going to be this glow about them that some, is going to be worth, collectively, the two of them, that’s going to be worth maybe 15 points.”

Newsweek's July 19 issue, "certainly backs up Thomas’ contention," notes the Media Research Center, which first uncovered the amazing admission. "Over a smiling picture on the cover of Kerry and Edwards, Newsweek ever hopefully asks: 'The Sunshine Boys?'”

Yup. :gulp:

BigBadBrian
07-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by FORD
The Murdoch Post and Pat Robertson's flunkies complaining about "media bias". Oh the irony is staggering.... I suppose they'll discuss it on FAUX News all week :rolleyes:

Ignore this nitwit. :gulp:

knuckleboner
07-18-2004, 10:04 PM
15 points?!??!

that's nuts. i'm not saying the media can't influence a race. but 15 points is just ludicrious. my guess is mr. thomas won't be moving on from assistant editor anytime soon...

John Ashcroft
07-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah, 15 points is a bit of a stretch (unless of course Kerry's even worse off than I previously thought). But I'll tell ya, you never know. I mean, what would the elections look like should the media stop editorializing their main stories (with undenyable favoritism towards any and all Democrats)? Really, if you ask the average dude on the street if he agrees with 90% of the dem platform (when broken down), they'll reject it all. I mean, welfare isn't popular... Guns are. Having a private industry drop someone for spewing bullshit isn't considered a strike against the First Ammendment either (by the average Joe or Jane). Tax increases aren't popular, nor is funding the NEA while their "artists" piss in jars and throw elephant shit on a picture of the Virgin Mary.

So I wonder what the electorate would truly look like if the media didn't cater to dems all these years.

knuckleboner
07-19-2004, 10:06 AM
well, i could make some arguments on the other side...

would the average American be cool with athe elimination of the estate tax, rather than a broadbased cut, given that 98% of the average Americans would've never, ever paid the estate tax, anyways?

still, there's no way the media has anything close to 15 points influence on the candidates. no way.

though, i WILL give you that the media and their polling data are ALWAYS to be questioned.

you know the old saying; "statistics don't lie. but you can lie with statistics..."

John Ashcroft
07-19-2004, 09:01 PM
You could make "some" arguments on the other side for sure, but that'd be a fraction of a fraction of the total bias the press exhibits. Face it, the press is partisan, and for the left. By their own admission in many cases. Really, I still wonder how'd the political landscape would look today if the public weren't barraged with covert and overt leftist bias from the press. As it is, liberalism is a dying ideology...

knuckleboner
07-20-2004, 10:03 AM
eh, i don't deny that the media bend a bit to the left.

still, i think their effect on altering election outcomes is minimal at best.

i don't think there was much of a conservative-leaning barrage in the media prior to the '94 elections...

Jesus Christ
07-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Verily, if Fox News had been around 2000 years ago, they would hath called Me a "terrorist who hated Rome".