PDA

View Full Version : Source: Divac headed back to Lakers

ALinChainz
07-19-2004, 07:50 PM
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer

July 19, 2004

Vlade Divac has reached an agreement to rejoin the Los Angeles Lakers, leaving the Sacramento Kings after six seasons, an NBA source told The Associated Press.

The deal with the 36-year-old Serbian center was expected to be finalized by Tuesday, the source said on condition of anonymity.

Earlier in Belgrade, Serbia-Montenegro, Divac said he was leaving the Kings.

``It was a great six years in Sacramento,'' he said. ``I'm sad that I'm leaving, but the Kings did not show any interest to keep me.''

The Lakers would not confirm the deal with the unrestricted free agent, but said a player announcement was expected Tuesday.

The Lakers drafted Divac in 1989, and he spent seven years in Los Angeles until the team traded him to Charlotte for the draft rights to Kobe Bryant. Divac still has a home in Los Angeles, and the Lakers were desperate to sign a center after trading Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat last week.

The source told the AP that Sacramento made an offer to Divac, but wouldn't match the Lakers' offer of the midlevel salary cap exemption, worth nearly $5 million next season, for a player entering his 16th year in the NBA. For the second straight season, the Kings want to avoid the luxury tax, even if it means losing one of their most popular players.

Divac joined the Kings in 1998 -- at the same time as Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic and coach Rick Adelman. They transformed one of the NBA's worst franchises into a perennial championship contender. Sacramento has made six straight playoff appearances with Divac as its starting center.

But Divac lost significant playing time last season when the Kings acquired All-Star center Brad Miller from Indiana. Divac averaged just 6.6 points last season, the lowest of his career.

Divac will bring superb passing, solid defense and leadership to the Lakers, whose frontcourt was terribly thin behind O'Neal last season. Divac and Brian Grant will see playing time at center as the Lakers inevitably change their style of play without Shaq.

And after six years angering Lakers fans with his flopping style of defense against O'Neal, it will be interesting to see Divac's reception at Staples Center.

The Kings once had one of the NBA's deepest frontcourts, but Divac's departure leaves Miller as the only center on the roster. Still, Sacramento's top six scorers and promising reserve forward Darius Songaila will return.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-divac&prov=ap&type=lgns

Va Beach VH Fan
07-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Here we go !!!!

Finals bound again !!!!

On second thought....

I think I'd like Grant in there better than Divac nowadays....

ALinChainz
07-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Grant quietly retiring I believe, declared himself a free agent anyway, along with Stanislav Medvedenko.

They'll obviously have to go with a small, quick line-up, which will mean more Luke Walton.

Yippee.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Brian Grant or Horace Grant ??

I was referring to Brian.... :D

Warham
07-19-2004, 10:10 PM
I like the signing of Vlade. Glad to see him back in LA. I like his presence, even if he is over the hill. Smart player.

WARF
07-20-2004, 01:55 PM
In other news ACIE EARL has come out of retirement to battle starter Mark Blount for the center position in Boston....

Also Eric Montross has been rumored to sign a 3 year contract... with the McDonald's charity league....

ALinChainz
07-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Brian Grant or Horace Grant ??

I was referring to Brian.... :D

My bad VA.

You were talking Brian, I was talking Horace.

Ho-Grant declared himself a FA and will probably retire.

BIGBADZERO
07-25-2004, 06:30 AM
The return of The Flopper. I don't know who's harder to comprehend, him or Shlaq.

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 01:32 PM
This move screams of desperation...

My god are the Lakers done or what...

Vlade...eight years removed from playing for...well...the Lakers...

five years removed from being any good...

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 01:38 PM
He never got along with Webber. He is long gone being that effective a player. The fastest, cheapest alternative in my opinion.

Lakers .... in big trouble.

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Yeah...when you have to turn to a guy closing in on 40 (has to be) to be your answer...

Vlade's gotta love it though...he never wanted to leave LA...when they got Shaq...

again...Jerry West is snickering...

Warham
07-25-2004, 11:09 PM
The guy averaged 10 points, 5 reb and 5 asts. I'll admit, he's not even close to Shaq, but he's decent for the mid-level excemption.

I want to see what happens during the season before I'll pass judgement.