X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rebel Yell5
    Full On Cocktard
    • Jul 2004

Van Hagar Review

For the reunited 'Van Hagar,' it's not about right now, it's about nostalgia
    By Greg Kot
    Tribune music critic

They've run through three lead singers and it's been nearly a decade since their last major hit. So what's left? On Monday in the first of two concerts at the United Center, Van Halen unveiled its latest incarnation: Nostalgia act for the black-T-shirt-and-mullet generation.

The formula is a familiar one: Best-selling band mends differences, reunites, assumes a pose of let-bygones-be-bygones fellowship (all in the name of the music, not the cash, of course) and plays hits dating to the eight-track cassette era.

Despite sprinkling three new songs among 15 oldies, Van Halen was all about re-conjuring the spirit of '85, with the world's oldest frat boy, Sammy Hagar, as party meister.

"Makin' up for lost time, I think it's high time we laid it on the line," Hagar sang on one of the new tunes. But who's he trying to kid?

The always dicey band chemistry that has seen Hagar come and go over the years was still in disrepair, with guitarist Eddie Van Halen mastering his domain, Hagar his, and the rhythm section blissfully pounding away.

The foursome's interaction was passable, full of manly schmoozing, hugging and an on-stage toast. But it was weighed down by lengthy solo sections accorded to each musician that ate up one-quarter of the two-hour concert. Did anyone really pay to hear Michael Anthony take a five-minute bass solo? Or to hear Hagar sing ballads about "where Eagles fly" and a "deeper kind of love"?

Hagar, the band's lead singer from 1985-96 before leaving in an ego clash with Van Halen, consented to sing a few of the hits made famous by his less technically polished but vastly more entertaining predecessor, David Lee Roth. But even as Hagar signed autographs, it was the guitarist's showcase.

Though hampered by gear glitches, Van Halen hardly seemed like a 49-year-old man coming off hip surgery and cancer treatment. His harmonic imagination, owing more to avant-garde European classical music than it does hard rock's traditional blues template, remains astonishing, his baroque fills elevating even mediocrities such as "Up for Breakfast."

Van Halen's rhythm section has always been workmanlike, with Anthony pounding the bass nearly as hard as he pounded the whiskey, and Eddie's brother Alex walloping the drums as if hammering metal spikes into the road instead of driving the band over it.

The music didn't swing, it slogged, and the band never quite sounded in sync, the four individual gears never meshing.

Part of the problem is that Eddie Van Halen just played rings around everyone; he's a phenomenal soloist, but an indifferent rhythm guitarist, and the songs lacked drive. Hagar screamed but sounded exhausted trying to climb after the high notes in "Dreams." Mimicking Roth's midair splits, he looked rickety.

Not that it dampened the party. The audience was thrilled to see its heroes approximating past glories, even if they weren't up to transcending them.
    I am the law.
  • Samsonite
    Head Fluffer
    • May 2004

Wow...was that a good or a bad review?

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Re: Van Hagar Review

Originally posted by Rebel Yell5
      For the reunited 'Van Hagar,' it's not about right now, it's about nostalgia
      By Greg Kot
      Tribune music critic

They've run through three lead singers and it's been nearly a decade since their last major hit. So what's left? On Monday in the first of two concerts at the United Center, Van Halen unveiled its latest incarnation: Nostalgia act for the black-T-shirt-and-mullet generation.

The formula is a familiar one: Best-selling band mends differences, reunites, assumes a pose of let-bygones-be-bygones fellowship (all in the name of the music, not the cash, of course) and plays hits dating to the eight-track cassette era.

Despite sprinkling three new songs among 15 oldies, Van Halen was all about re-conjuring the spirit of '85, with the world's oldest frat boy, Sammy Hagar, as party meister.

"Makin' up for lost time, I think it's high time we laid it on the line," Hagar sang on one of the new tunes. But who's he trying to kid?

The always dicey band chemistry that has seen Hagar come and go over the years was still in disrepair, with guitarist Eddie Van Halen mastering his domain, Hagar his, and the rhythm section blissfully pounding away.

The foursome's interaction was passable, full of manly schmoozing, hugging and an on-stage toast. But it was weighed down by lengthy solo sections accorded to each musician that ate up one-quarter of the two-hour concert. Did anyone really pay to hear Michael Anthony take a five-minute bass solo? Or to hear Hagar sing ballads about "where Eagles fly" and a "deeper kind of love"?

Hagar, the band's lead singer from 1985-96 before leaving in an ego clash with Van Halen, consented to sing a few of the hits made famous by his less technically polished but vastly more entertaining predecessor, David Lee Roth. But even as Hagar signed autographs, it was the guitarist's showcase.

Though hampered by gear glitches, Van Halen hardly seemed like a 49-year-old man coming off hip surgery and cancer treatment. His harmonic imagination, owing more to avant-garde European classical music than it does hard rock's traditional blues template, remains astonishing, his baroque fills elevating even mediocrities such as "Up for Breakfast."

Van Halen's rhythm section has always been workmanlike, with Anthony pounding the bass nearly as hard as he pounded the whiskey, and Eddie's brother Alex walloping the drums as if hammering metal spikes into the road instead of driving the band over it.

The music didn't swing, it slogged, and the band never quite sounded in sync, the four individual gears never meshing.

Part of the problem is that Eddie Van Halen just played rings around everyone; he's a phenomenal soloist, but an indifferent rhythm guitarist, and the songs lacked drive. Hagar screamed but sounded exhausted trying to climb after the high notes in "Dreams." Mimicking Roth's midair splits, he looked rickety.

Not that it dampened the party. The audience was thrilled to see its heroes approximating past glories, even if they weren't up to transcending them.

AHHHHHHH man that is it!!!!!!!!! That is the review of reviews for

this tour!!! I wonder what time in the middle of the night Eddie

is going to call this guy!! Thanks for that Bro! A vote for you,

and another Fuck You for the sheep!!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Samsonite
        Wow...was that a good or a bad review?
        that question alone gives you the answer...it just doesn't matter...VH became irrelevant...
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

and for me it is definitely a BAD review...
          Roth Army Icon
          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Re: Van Hagar Review

Originally posted by Rebel Yell5
            he's a phenomenal soloist, but an indifferent rhythm guitarist, and the songs lacked drive. Hagar screamed but sounded exhausted trying to climb after the high notes in "Dreams." Mimicking Roth's midair splits, he looked rickety.

Comment

• Dan
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Who's Sammy hagar?
              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
                Commando
                • Mar 2003

Who's Sammy hagar?
                David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..
                "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• Funkmonkey

Who is Bette Midler?

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
                    Commando
                    • Mar 2003

Who is Bette Midler?
                    Bette Midler is an actress/singer that bears an uncanny resemblance to Sammy Hagar. .. based on both being fat, old, red hair and both have FLOPPY, SLOPPY BREASTS. Bette was in a popular movie called Beaches and Sammy Hagar is just a plain Beatch.Thanks for your time..
                    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• scottydabodi
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

I love this review. It just goes to show who's RIGHT and who's fuckin WRONG. You KNOW if Dave was onboard, the show would've been KICK ASS!!! "Vastly more entertaining" is only the tip of the iceberg, they left out the part where Dave wrote better songs, and wouldn't let Ed play the shitty riffs, ONLY keeping the killer ones. As far as Ed OUTPLAYING everyone else in the band, well, DUH!! Mike ain't exactly Jaco, and Alex ain't exactly GOOD... I'm just DYING to see this tour fail... Ed, and Ronald McHagar have lied enough, taken enough of the SHEEP's money, and bashed Dave so much that they forgot to rehearse!! Serves them RIGHT!!!
                      If you listen to fools
                      The Mob Rules

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Van Hagar had past glories?

News to me.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Samsonite
                          Head Fluffer
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by scottydabodi
                          I love this review. It just goes to show who's RIGHT and who's fuckin WRONG. You KNOW if Dave was onboard, the show would've been KICK ASS!!! "Vastly more entertaining" is only the tip of the iceberg, they left out the part where Dave wrote better songs, and wouldn't let Ed play the shitty riffs, ONLY keeping the killer ones. As far as Ed OUTPLAYING everyone else in the band, well, DUH!! Mike ain't exactly Jaco, and Alex ain't exactly GOOD... I'm just DYING to see this tour fail... Ed, and Ronald McHagar have lied enough, taken enough of the SHEEP's money, and bashed Dave so much that they forgot to rehearse!! Serves them RIGHT!!!

There have been just as many good reviews....

Comment

• scottydabodi
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

None that I've seen, dimwit.
                            If you listen to fools
                            The Mob Rules

Comment

• rockvanhalen66
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jun 2004

evh still king.........