PDA

View Full Version : Eddie George cut by Titans

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Philly would be a great fit for him...where he won't be expected to be the workhorse he's been in the past...

he's burned out...but could probably be effective if his carries were cut down by Westbrook and Buckhalter...

Good for the Eagles...and now...time for the Titans to slowly drift into hell...

rustoffa
07-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Ahahaha.....McNair's paddin' his flak-jacket.
George is the classic "fuck this, I'm skatin' by" disillusioned RB.
Ricky Waters deja-vu all over again.

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Jesus bro...no way George is up there with that fucking malcontent...Ricky Waters...

Watters was never asked to take a pay cut...I don't think...

he was just a dick...

ALinChainz
07-21-2004, 08:36 PM
He just wouldn't sign for the veteran minimum when other teams came calling.

He wanted big bucks no matter where his career was, which was at the end.

I think he thought he had a shot at a rap music career.

And he was a dick.

ALinChainz
07-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Oakland and Tampa were the teams interested early in Eddie's services. Sure there will be a couple others.

rustoffa
07-21-2004, 09:58 PM
I admit, the Waters reference was a "I'll take my broke-dick ass to philly"stretch.

Remember the Titans!
:D

"JUST RELOAD BABY"

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 10:11 PM
LMFAO...well...that was true...

Yeah...I could see Tampa making a big push for him...and he'll probably WANT to pull an Emmitt...

Va Beach VH Fan
07-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Good move for the Titans IMO...

Eddie had clearly lost a step or two in the past couple of years....

Very similar case to Bettis, but Bettis decided to take less money to stay in the 'Burgh....

I have to admit though that in his prime Eddie George was one dominant runner....

POJO_Risin
07-21-2004, 10:35 PM
yeah...and he WAS making to much...

George was an ultimate north/south guy...maybe a sleeker Earl Campbell...but punishing...

One of the few OSU players done good...

rustoffa
07-21-2004, 10:52 PM
No question about George's prior performance.
He's been phoning it in lately.....enjoy philly and the play action!
LMAO

ALinChainz
07-21-2004, 11:01 PM
But now what they have left is the unproven Chris Brown. They have already had retread Antwain Smith in for a visit, so there has to be a little doubt in Tennessee's mind as to whether or not Brown can be the man.

But George wanted about $1 million more than they wanted to give, so he was shown the door.

Another team that might call him up is Dallas. All they have at the moment is 2nd rd draft pick Julius Jones of ND.

Lou
07-22-2004, 07:37 PM
The word on local sports radio is that the Eagles are not interested in Eddie George at his price.

ALinChainz
07-22-2004, 07:51 PM
ESPNews reports the Dallas Cowboys and free agent RB Eddie George (Titans) are in discussions over a two-year contract.

ALinChainz
07-22-2004, 07:56 PM
And the Titans have signed Antwain Smith to a minimum deal with incentives.

rustoffa
07-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by ALinChainz
ESPNews reports the Dallas Cowboys and free agent RB Eddie George (Titans) are in discussions over a two-year contract.

I bet Parcell's could motivate him. Interesting.

ALinChainz
07-23-2004, 12:55 PM
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

July 23, 2004

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Eddie George agreed to a contract with the Dallas Cowboys on Friday, just two days after being released by the Tennessee Titans, according to a team source.

George's deal was pending a physical, the source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

George was expected to sign for a base salary near the $1.5 million Tennessee had been offering, but with many reachable incentives that could take him closer to the $4.25 million he had been expecting to make with the Titans.

George was cut Wednesday, at his request, after he rejected Tennessee's final bid. He left the Titans after eight seasons and more than 10,000 yards.

George's only free-agent visit was to Dallas. Negotiations moved so quickly because the relationship works well for both sides.

The Cowboys had plenty of room under the salary cap and, a week before opening training camp, they were still looking for a veteran running back to ease the burden on Julius Jones, a second-round pick from Notre Dame who was expected to be the starter.

Regardless of who starts, both will get plenty of carries. The better George does -- and the Cowboys are certainly hoping his competitive nature and desire to prove he's still an elite runner will draw out his best -- the more slowly they can bring along Jones.

Although George has never missed a game in his 128-game career, he's been slowed by injuries typical for someone who's averaged 21.4 carries per game. He turns 31 in September.

The pounding has reduced his effectiveness. After averaging 3.9 yards per carry his first five seasons, he's been at 3.2 over the last three seasons. He was at 3.3 last year, when he gained 1,031 yards and topped the 10,000-yard mark for his career.

George's 2003 numbers are similar to what Troy Hambrick produced last season when he underwhelmingly replaced Emmitt Smith. Hambrick has since been released.

The difference is that the Cowboys believe George can still be valuable if used properly, especially as the lead back in short-yardage and goal-line situations. He scored 12 touchdowns two seasons ago. George also has averaged 8.3 yards on two receptions per game for his career.

While Cowboys coach Bill Parcells is very high on Jones, he also values proven veterans such as George. George provides other qualities Parcells values: the willingness to play hurt, good size for his position (6-foot-3, 235 pounds) and good hands (one lost fumble the last two seasons).

By signing someone of George's age and experience, the Cowboys are seemingly reversing field from last offseason, when they cut Smith. Other factors influenced that decision, such as the salary and George knowing he'll be sharing time and mentoring Jones.

George also is returning to the state where his career began. The former Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State played his rookie season, 1996, in Houston before the franchise moved to Tennessee.

George probably will be able to keep the No. 27 he's worn his entire career as it currently belongs to rookie cornerback Bruce Thornton.

Va Beach VH Fan
07-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Good fit IMO...

This almost evens out their draft day fuck-up by not taking Steven Jackson....

ALinChainz
07-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Almost is right VA.

They should have taken Jackson IMO also.

BrownSound1
07-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Ah...I've seen many a "draft day fuck up" that turned into pure genious 3 years later.

POJO_Risin
07-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Well...it's hard to call it a fuckup when they haven't played a down in the pros yet...;)...

Obviously RB was their weakness...so yeah...that pick would have been the smart play...but who knows what the fuck Tuna was thinking...and he gets George...who is better than anything else they have...

Yeah...a good fit...if george holds up...