PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins Ricky Williams RETIRES FROM NFL

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Ricky Williams is retiring.

The 27-year-old running back's seismic decision to leave football in his prime, a week before the start of Dolphins training camp, is perfectly in keeping with his personality. It is outsized, enigmatic, brave, unpredictable, complex, interesting, selfish and surprising enough to leave your mouth hanging open.

And, of course, different.

Above all, right to the very end of a football career that will be finished when he formally faxes his retirement papers to the NFL offices early this week, Williams always has been relentlessly different.

''I'm finally free,'' Williams said by cellphone from Hawaii. ``I can't remember ever being this happy.''

Why is he doing this?

Well, why not?

This is how Williams has always floated through life, going wherever the wind guided him, so he never really fit within the drill-sergeant rigidity of football with all its rules, regimen and stopwatches. He relished the playing part with a child's enthusiasm, but the business part was always much too adult for him. Williams has an artist's sensibilities and sensitivities, forever fascinated by things beyond that ball, and he is no longer interested in playing his life away.

He wants to study, learn, search, travel, question, write, meditate, read, wander, find himself, climb mountains, take pictures of waterfalls and be Dad without being interrupted by another 8 a.m. meeting to dissect film.

His heart isn't in it anymore, in other words. And, in both running style and lifestyle, his body will not go if his heart doesn't lead. Williams doesn't do indifference. He either plays passionately, as he did for two bruising seasons as a Dolphin, or not at all. So not-at-all is what it'll have to be, even as this Dolphin season appears to be wrecked before it gets started, because Williams figures he'll either get injured or hurt the team playing in a sport this savage without motivation.

He thought he might be able to make it through this one last season for his teammates, and only for them, but couldn't convince himself of it even after weeks of trying. He says he plans to call each of them individually in the coming weeks to apologize. He can't play for others. Williams has always been a locker-room loner, alone with his excellence, sitting apart from teammates even on the bench during games, and now he puts yet more distance between himself and those who play.

''I just don't want to be in this business anymore,'' said Williams, finished after just five NFL seasons. ``I was never strong enough to not play football, but I'm strong enough now. I've considered everything about this. Everyone has thrown every possible scenario at me about why I shouldn't do this, but they're in denial. I'm happy with my decision.''

LONG TIME COMING

This is not some whim. Williams has been weighing this with friends for months and finally told an angry, crushed Dave Wannstedt on Friday night. Williams' decision was clinched while on tour recently in Europe with rocker friend Lenny Kravitz, who is so consumed with working and fame's responsibilities that he doesn't have much time for joy, or for himself. That's not what Williams wants to become of his own life. Williams says with conviction that no one will talk him into coming back, even though Wannstedt continues to try.

This isn't about any money dispute or leverage or the recent headlines involving his marijuana use. It's about outgrowing games. Williams' conviction has grown into clarity in recent weeks. He kept finding examples for why he should do this everywhere he looked -- backstage with Kravitz and Snoop Dogg, while befriending homeless people in Australia, on Jamaican beaches with Bob Marley's carefree kids.

''The people in Jamaica, living in these little tin shacks, they were the happiest people I've ever seen,'' Williams said. ``This is an opportunity to be a real role model. Everyone wants freedom. Human beings aren't supposed to be controlled and told what to do. They're supposed to be given direction and a path. Don't tell me what I can and can't do. Please.''

Society and the NFL say he can't smoke marijuana, for example, and that's one of the many rules of his confining workplace he will no longer abide. He says without apology he has gotten around NFL drug tests with a special liquid players all over the league consume by the gallon before tests to avoid detection. He says he simply didn't drink it before getting busted in 2002, and that he still hasn't heard on his appeal of a second failed test, but that the recent marijuana issues have nothing to do with his decision to retire beyond confirming how stifling celebrity can be and how ill-fitting the NFL is for him.

FAME AND MISFORTUNE

Williams has never been interested in money or fame, finding the former empty and the latter corrupt. He keeps thousands of dollars in hundreds in the unlocked glove compartment of an unlocked car and gives it away to strangers. He cut off his famous dreadlocks while on an Australian vacation (even though it cost him $750,000 from Gillette advertisers who wanted to capture the moment) because he craved the new anonymity baldness gave him.

He has formed a friendship with controversial Jim Brown, another running back who retired in his prime to pursue a movie career. And he was moved recently by a long conversation with former Minnesota running back Robert Smith, who also quit at his peak to pursue a medical career because he thought the beatings that running backs took were inhumane. But what Williams is doing is still unprecedented. No great back -- not Brown, not Barry Sanders, not Smith -- has ever retired this young and this healthy.

Williams is putting his cars and Miami homes up for sale. He already donated some of the money from them to a local school.

He says he'll probably spend the upcoming football season traveling abroad -- he hasn't gone to Dolphin workouts in weeks -- but doesn't have a concrete plan for his future.

''I have no idea what I'm going to do,'' he said. ``Who knows? I just know it is going to be fun. Going to school again. Going to travel for the next six months. I'm half-way intelligent. I'll figure something out. I don't feel like I have to explain myself to anyone. All I end up doing anyway is giving rebuttals, and it is boring. I don't want to do it anymore. That's it. I don't want to do this anymore. If people really care about me, that would be enough for them.''

It isn't, of course. People care about the Dolphins a lot more than they care about him, so he'll become a traitor or worse in South Florida, just like that. That's another reason Williams disdains fame: Real love isn't this fickle. So he isn't terribly bothered that what was always a conditional, counterfeit sentiment (the volume of the cheering going up or down depending on his production) will now turn into a poison he won't even hear abroad. He says he plans to live in another country, and soon.

''The only people I'm accountable to are to my three children, and they love me anyway,'' Williams said. ``Whenever you are afraid to do something, you should do it. I've been afraid of this for too long. I'm not anymore.''

He was at the airport in Hawaii as he talked on his cell phone Saturday night, bound for a flight somewhere to Asia. The airline agent asked him for his return ticket to the United States. He said he did not have one.

Abandoning the team a week before camp? Traitor? Lunatic? Williams doesn't care what anyone thinks of him anymore. He is following a voice only he can hear. He is done doing what other people want, done answering to yelling coaches who care only about their own self-preservation, done being hit by 350-pounders, done waking up in pain, done being a piece of meat, done being confined, done being polluted by fame and fortune and football.

He's done.

Perfectly Ricky, right up until the end.

He's done running for money.

Now he runs free.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/columnists/dan_le_batard/9237156.htm?1c

rustoffa
07-25-2004, 02:10 AM
Damn, that's the fucking gayest piece of sports journalism I've
seen in awhile.

"Done with the 350 pounders".....

LMMFAO

Troy
07-25-2004, 02:16 AM
I think he really retired so he can come out of the closet.

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 02:31 AM
And this is the reporter who broke the story, who interviewed Ricky.

I wonder how many fantasy owners in keeper leagues are just fucking hating it right now.

Rebel
07-25-2004, 03:01 AM
I agree, the article was totally gay. As far as him retiring, it's his life, he can do whatever the hell he wants. I am gonna miss watching him run though.

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 03:20 AM
I found it interesting his mention of getting arouond drug tests. He is known to like smoking the herb.

That ought to get a few players "fired up".

Looks like Travis Minor moves into the starting spot, unless they sign or trade for someone.

MAX
07-25-2004, 03:33 AM
What a fag. Fuck him.

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 03:50 AM
He wouldn't be able to travel and meet these celebs without being the football star he was. He used the game.

Troy
07-25-2004, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by ALinChainz

I wonder how many fantasy owners in keeper leagues are just fucking hating it right now.

No doubt, that was one of the first things I thought of.

Rebel
07-25-2004, 04:24 AM
Shit, what about the Fins fans?? They're gonna be crying in the morning when they hear about this. Travis Minor is decent, but he's no Ricky, he can't stand the pounding a #1 RB has to take. They're gonna have to go after someone. Sucks for them George just got picked off the market, he coulda worked well for them.

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 04:50 AM
Jesus Christ...ridiculous...what a nutjob...good riddance if you ask me...

lmfao...

Fiedler or Feeley as your starter...and Minor...

bwhahahahahaha...

the Dolphins couldn't beat the Hurricanes...

Wannstadt is done...maybe before the season starts...

Rebel
07-25-2004, 04:52 AM
Yea, they're offense is pretty much blown. Fiedler was OK, as long as he had the best running game in the league, he's up the creek now. Feely sucks IMO.

BIGBADZERO
07-25-2004, 06:27 AM
What a great role model for the youth of today. Smoking pot is more important than having a potential Hall Of Fame career in the NFL.

U-N F-U-C-K-I-N-G B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E

Va Beach VH Fan
07-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Don't let the door hit your dreadlocks on the way out....

Warham
07-25-2004, 09:18 AM
It doesn't really shock me.

Mama's Fool
07-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Imagine what he could have done had he had a good offensive line.

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Oh...he's had good lines in the past...his Saints' OLine was underrated...and that line in Miami was healthy...and big...

He coulda done worse...

Payton didn't have a line for 10 years...

same with Sanders...

Williams had tons better lines than Ricky...

Ricky's problem was beyond the line...

A famous man once said, "You can have million dollar talent, and a 10cent head...and the head works like a drain for all that talent..."

You'd think that was said about Ricky dumbass Williams...

The other side of it...of course...is if he's doing what all of us wish we could do...retire at fucking 27 years old...and never have to work a day of our lives again...

and if that's the case...good for him...

Yeah...a hard life...calling from his home in fucking Hawaii...to say he's going to retire to be a dad...

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 01:20 PM
His problem early on was injury. He wasn't special, but solid for the most part. A lot of pressure being traded for an entire set of draft picks, which Ditka made happen.

Never been a big fan of his, but like everyone here is saying, puts Miami in a hurting way, where Wanny's job was already on the line.

Now they won't bother with playing the Fins for the run. Their main weapons now are Chambers, Boston, and McMichael. The Fiedler/Feeley combo will be on the run from all the blitzes.

VH LINKS SUCKS
07-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Total freak! I fucking hate the fish and this is awesome news! Maybe Ricky and Ditka can finally exchange vows!:eek:

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 01:27 PM
It depends Al...I still think they are going to end up getting a servicable back...

there has to be someone out there we're missing...

or perhaps a deal...

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Been looking into that as we speak ... checking out who is on the market ... the first one that came to mind before even clicking was James Stewart.

Not the best option Im sure, but available and coming off a shoulder last year, not leg injury.

Got to be someone better. Did read the rumor of Ogunleye being involved in a deal for A Train, Terrell, and an OL in a trade.

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 01:59 PM
At this point...anything they can get of Og would be something...and that deal would really be something...

Maybe they can get Sammy Smith...and keep him from getting shot in the leg...

You know...i was actually wondering if Travis Henry might be available...even though it would be a within conference deal...

I wonder how close to ready McGahee is...good to see him taking off all this time to get healthy...

and I think he's going to be a good one...

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Sammy Morris was signed this off season for them also. Hardly the answer, has had injuries with the Bills, not terrible when healthy.

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Stacey Mack looks like all that's left of the ready available.

Looking bleak.

Got to trade Ogunleye now.

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Man...the thing that makes Ricky Williams the prick in all of this is the timing...

if he would have let them know about it...

they could have moved in several different directions...

from Duce Staley...to Eddie George...

Maybe they can get a guy like Garrison Hearst...

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Training camp will tell the story on McGahee, he sounds like he's ready from what I've read. Getting whacked a few times will test it.

They did sign Henry to an extension that seemed very reasonable that expires next season I think. Makes him tradable in my opinion.

Would be a surprise to see if anything would get done before the season, wanting that insurance in case McGahee isn't ready.

Mezro
07-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Freedom Ricky? The type of freedom you crave requires MONEY asshole!

You can't globe hop and rub shoulders with the stars without fame, fortune or a little bit of both. See if Lenny Kravitz wants to hang out once all that NFL cash is gone. You'll just be Kato Kaelin with a bong.

Go back jerk pickle; sell your soul for 5 more seasons and make sure your financial future is rock solid to ensure your slacking will never be lacking.

Mezro...he will so regret this when he hits his mid 30's...

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Oh...I'm sure Mez...

and his contracts in the past haven't been great...

but I don't know...I could live a long time on five million...lmfao...

and I'm guessing he has more than that...

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Possible on Hearst, or Mike Anderson.

He would like to move back to tailback from fullback.

Mezro
07-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
[B]Oh...I'm sure Mez...

but I don't know...I could live a long time on five million...lmfao...

[B]

You and I could POJO but this fucker will spend that on weed, Doritos and anal lube in the next ten years alone :p

Mezro...it just makes no sense when he could slack off once his career really ran its course...

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 02:31 PM
He had endorsement money too, which could have easily equalled his NFL haul.

If he is, or has been smart. He could do it. Kids, homes, etc.

Like Patrick Ewing said during the NBA lockout a while back, "we spend a lot, we need a lot". Something to that effect.

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Ricky Williams Retires

by Paul Charchian - publisher, Fanball.com

Sunday, July 25, 2004

In the offseason's most surprising move, Pro Bowl running back Ricky Williams has retired from the NFL, according to the Miami Herald. The Dolphin leaves three unfulfilled years on his contract, and leaves his former team in a bind.

The Dolphins' backup runners are Sammy Morris and Travis Minor. In a pinch, the team could try to get through the season with Morris as the primary runner, and Minor as the passing-down back. But considering their inconsistent track records, the team will likely need to find another back to be its workhorse.

With Antowain Smith recently signed in Tennessee, the free agent market is very thin. The questionable legs of Stacey Mack and James Stewart might be the best candidates available.

Without any strong free agents, trading might be the team's only other viable option. While it's speculative, we'll throw out some possibilities. Onterrio Smith is the odd man out of the Vikings' rotation, especially after last week when head coach Mike Tice told radio listeners that he plans to run Michael Bennett until Bennett takes himself out of the game. Another possibility is 2003 playoff hero De'Shaun Foster. A team source has told Fanball.com that the Panthers looked to move Foster on draft day, in part out of concern for his fumbling problems. The Eagles could shed Correll Buckhalter, but only if they're convinced that Brian Westbrook can be a full-time back. The Bears' Anthony Thomas has likely lost his starting job to Thomas Jones, and could be available. Lastly, with the drafting of Steven Jackson, the Rams can afford to cast off Lamar Gordon.

Williams has also admitted to taking a drug-masking agent, designed to allow him to pass the NFL's drug-testing rules. He alleges that NFL players use the agent "by the gallon."

Williams recently tested positive for marijuana use, and circumstantial evidence suggests that drug use may have been a motivating factor in the decision. In talking to the Herald, Williams acknowledges prior marijuana use and infers that he will continue to use marijuana now that he is out of the NFL.

He spent part of the offseason with rock star Lenny Kravitz, an admitted marijuana user and legalization advocate. He also spent time with Snoop Dogg, a rap star who has often appeared on camera with marijuana. While in Jamaica, he spent time with Bob Marley's kids and said, ''The people in Jamaica, living in these little tin shacks, they were the happiest people I've ever seen.''

Meanwhile, the rules setup by the NFL have grated on Williams. "Human beings aren't supposed to be controlled and told what to do. They're supposed to be given direction and a path. Don't tell me what I can and can't do. Please."

Many will draw the conclusion that Williams left the NFL to afford himself the luxury of smoking pot without fear of ramifications.

Williams rushed for 1,372 yards last year, almost 500 shy of his career high set the prior season.

ALinChainz
07-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Not to overkill, but this article had a few more items on which possibilities the Dolphins had.

And more on the pot.

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Who knows what he'll do...

I suspect he'll be back next year...or even later this year...

as a matter of fact...I'd guarantee it...

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 02:43 PM
DeShaun Foster is an interesting back...

curious to see if that's a possibility...

Troy
07-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Is it me or could Wandstedt be one of the superfans from the old Saturday Night Live days??? The bits with Norm, Farley & Myers.

POJO_Risin
07-25-2004, 08:04 PM
You know...I think I actually thought that very thing once...

Troy
07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Listening to him today, he has the look and the vioce down. He was in Chicago so, that would make sense...