PDA

View Full Version : Woodstock 69 is highly overrated.

Wayne L.
07-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Woodstock 69 is known as the greatest rock festival in the history of rock & roll which defined the 60's youth generation more so than the Beatles & Bob Dylan but there were much better rock festivals. I think Woodstock is highly overrated looking back on it 35 years later which will probably baby boomers who were former hippies at the time who attended this historic rock festival. The classic performances at Woodstock by the Who, Ten Years After, Santana, CS&N, Country Joe McDonald & Jimi Hendrix are timeless because of the documentary. Other rock festivals which should have been made into documentaries themselves like the Texas Pop Festival which occured two weeks after Woodstock, Cal Jam 1 & 2 in 74/78, Texxas Jam 78/79 & US Festival 83 but were completely ignored except to the rock fans who attended. Woodstock 69 is a defining moment in 60's youth culture but there were other rock festivals which should have gotten just as much media coverage because they were just as significant despite not being as historic in their mind.

FORD
07-25-2004, 08:45 PM
Altamont 1969 was a "legendary" show. Though not entirely for the right reasons.

Mr Badguy
07-26-2004, 03:07 PM
I don`t know why Hendrix came out as a legend after Woodstock.

His playing was alright but his band were really unrehersed and it was a poor group performance.

Maybe that`s why the solo rendition of "Star spangled banner" is the definitive Hendrix clip from the event.

Oh...and who invited 50`s rockabilly revivalists Sha na na?

YankeeRose
07-27-2004, 10:55 PM
Wayne..that was a stupid thing to say. Next time please try to know what you're talking about. The real Woodstock festival is held in the highest regards for many reasons. The details were finialized at the last minute..there were absolutely no arrests, for any reason, all weekend - no rapes, no roberies, no assaults, nothing...most of the performers there are now considered legends in Rock, not just a flash in the pan...no one died...

...shall I go on?

Tell me of one other Rock festival that can boast the same statistics...

Ally_Kat
07-28-2004, 12:10 AM
definately not Woodstock '99

tobinentinc
07-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Live Aid in '85. The Woodstock of the 80's had many legendary artists there. Zeppelin, the Who, Sabbath ect. They may not have been their best performances, but an event like that in 2 cities should be remebered more than it is.

EmpyreLounge44
07-28-2004, 11:31 AM
woodstock '99 sure was alot of fun though. i went and had a ball...just a couple thousand douche bags had to ruin it. if you didnt expect to pay and pay a lot for stuff you have to get your head out of your ass. the prices were the same as any concert you go to...just had to pay three days worth

YankeeRose
07-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Altamont 1969 was a "legendary" show. Though not entirely for the right reasons.

LOL..not a shining moment for the Stones...lol Anyone who is stoopid enough to hire Hells Angels for a security team deserves all the shit that hits the fan.

BruinJer
07-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by FORD

I agree 100%... some amazing performances with an unfortunate series of events. THAT was the festival of the year.

Coyote
07-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Monterey Pop Festival.

Mr Badguy
07-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Donington `80, `84, `88, `90 and `91.

Plenty of good bands although `88 was blighted by the death of two fans.

Wayne L.
08-04-2004, 11:01 AM
I probably know more about Woodstock 69 than you do YankeeRose because I didn't learn from a website like you possibly did so being an asshole isn't going to do you any good.

YankeeRose
08-04-2004, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wayne L.
I probably know more about Woodstock 69 than you do YankeeRose because I didn't learn from a website like you possibly did so being an asshole isn't going to do you any good. [/QUOTE

Look you jackass...Once again you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Either you have serious brain damage or you're just the little punk mother fucker that you sound like. The same moron that's already been run off other sites. Callin me names or insulting me isn't going to scare me off..I've had shit slung at me by better men than you..ask hitch69 if I ran from his barrage. Woodstock 69 is the legend that other rock festivals aspire to be. Look up the facts and compare it to any other rock festival. Assuming, of course, that you're old enough or intelligent enough to know how to do that...

Chaz Rock City
08-05-2004, 02:32 AM
The Moscow Music Peace Festival: The day hair metal killed communism. Have the four tape of all the bands all the bill. I could do without Gorky Park, but every body else on the bill was killer. In case you don't remember the line-up it was: Skid Row, Gorky Park, Cinderella, Ozzy, Motley Crue's first sober performance, Scorpions, and Bon Jovi. It was arguably as good as metal day at the US Festival

YankeeRose
08-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Sounds like a great line up...but what was the behavior of the fans like? How many assaults, robberies, drug arrests, etc did they have? I have never heard of any rock festival, other than Woodstock 69, that had absolutely none of these.

WolfStar999
08-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by YankeeRose
Sounds like a great line up...but what was the behavior of the fans like? How many assaults, robberies, drug arrests, etc did they have? I have never heard of any rock festival, other than Woodstock 69, that had absolutely none of these.

Except for Doc McGhee (I don't care how his name is spelled.) screwing over Motley Crue (Bon Jovi as a headliner? PUH-lease!!), the festival went very smoothly, and the fans had a total blast. I've researched it extensively. Now if you want a festival that went totally awry and resulted in rape and violence (perpetrated by the Russian Military Police, no less), it would be Monsters of Rock in Moscow with AC/DC, Metallica, The Black Crowes, and Pantera in '91. That was just brutal.

YankeeRose
08-19-2004, 12:01 AM
I'm not asking for the most violent....I'm asking if there were any others that had absolutely no arrests at all, for any reason...

Kelly
08-19-2004, 12:16 AM
I kind of agree that Woodstock 69 is overrated as an event. There were, however, some classic performances - the Who stand out for me - but Sha Na fuckin Na certainly look pretty odd there!

It was pretty historic in some sense that it was maybe a symbol of that hippy era (I hate hippies!), but at the end of the day it was just a concert - did it change the world? I don't think so, but who cares! 3 days taking drugs, listening to great music, getting laid - sounds great to me!

Wayne L.
08-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Woodstock 69 is highly overrated as a rock festival despite classic performances by the Who, Ten Years After, Santana, Country Joe McDonald, CSN&Y & Jimi Hendrix if you have seen the documentary because it defines the baby boomers of the 60's youth generation more so than Bob Dylan, the Beatles & the Kennedy assassination. There were much better rock festivals afterward which never got much attention for some reason but should have like the Texas Pop Festival two weeks after Woodstock back in 69, Cal. Jam 1 & 2 in 74/78, Texxas Jam in 78/79 & the US Festival in 82/83 which were just as significant despite not being as historical but Woodstock 69 is looked at positively mostly because there was no violence unlike at Altamont 5 months later.

YankeeRose
08-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Wayne..you sound like you're quoting someone else's declaration in a debate....

Also...Although infamous, Altemont was, by no means, the success that Woodstock '69 was.

Marlowe01
09-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Woodstock 1969 is famous for more reasons than just the fact no deaths occurred and because of the lineup. No festival will ever be the same in terms of ambience of it all.

Matt White
09-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Woodstock '69? I was 1 years old. Couldn't give a fuck! The sixties are WAY over-rated anyway. The 60's generation keeps their LONG forgotten youth alive by the constant campaign to keep it in the public eye. WHO CARES?!?! 2004. WELCOME TO THE FUTURE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

YankeeRose
09-24-2004, 09:48 PM
You sound so young and dumb....it's kinda pitiful.

Matt White
09-25-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by YankeeRose
You sound so young and dumb....it's kinda pitiful.

Oh yeah Momma, and at 5 I'm sure you were DIGGIN' the 60's. Get over it sister. Your a late 70's-early80's chick. The 60's were gone as fast as the 90's, and Gen-x ani't beatin' the drum to tell EVERYBODy younger how COOL it was. And lose the feathered hair and hip-huggers, time to act your age.

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!

Dan
09-25-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
Woodstock 69 is highly overrated as a rock festival despite classic performances by the Who, Ten Years After, Santana, Country Joe McDonald, CSN&Y & Jimi Hendrix if you have seen the documentary because it defines the baby boomers of the 60's youth generation more so than Bob Dylan, the Beatles & the Kennedy assassination. There were much better rock festivals afterward which never got much attention for some reason but should have like the Texas Pop Festival two weeks after Woodstock back in 69, Cal. Jam 1 & 2 in 74/78, Texxas Jam in 78/79 & the US Festival in 82/83 which were just as significant despite not being as historical but Woodstock 69 is looked at positively mostly because there was no violence unlike at Altamont 5 months later.

This is when Wayne L at an early age wanted to be a ShoeSaleman.

monkeythe
09-25-2004, 04:37 AM
I think the movie helped Woodstock keeps its place in history. Despite not being born for several years at the time of the event I have seen the movie and can comment on that event. The other festivals don't have that luxury of a movie that is aired semi-regularly and that is why Woodstock will always be considered as big as it is. I am a prety big music fan and have never seen many of the events listed in previous threads.
All of the other festivals, for as big as they at the time will not age as well due to the lack of people seeing them.

Panamark
09-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Wayne L ?????????

Did you happen to see how many naked women's feet there
was at woodstock 69 ??

I thought any crowd footage of that gig would be in your private
collection !

CROWBAR
09-25-2004, 04:56 PM
WAYNE L.= HIGHLY OVERATED

Rikk
09-26-2004, 01:06 AM
I hate hippies. Anyway, there was so much shitty music in Woodstock '69 (Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe, Joan Baez), and rather greedy promoters (no matter what they'd have you believe). But the bottom line is that there were some good performances. But for the most part, the film was a rather tricky edit, making the festival look more important than it was and making the performances look top-notch. But many bands listed the festival as having among their worst performances. Two big-name acts refused to have their parts included in the film (Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Grateful Dead) because of shabby performances. One act refused to be filmed (Neil Young with CSNY). Janis Joplin was originally cut out of the film because of a rather lacklustre performance (she's only in the Director's Cut). Hendrix's performance, as famous as it was, was actually extremely sloppy by his standards. The Who performed what Pete Townshend has called their "worst performance".

You want the ultimate late 60's/early 70's festival: ISLE OF WIGHT '70. Great film, plus two more entire DVDs dedicated to almost complete performances by two huge acts...again, THE WHO and JIMI HENDRIX. THE WHO's performance is amazing, 100 times better than Woodstock (too bad it's not quite complete on the DVD), and HENDRIX's performance, while also a bit sloppy by his standards, is much more exciting and again a great 2-hour DVD of its own. Other amazing performances: TEN YEARS AFTER (who were also excellent at Woodstock), FREE and many others. THE DOORS also played one of their last performances at the Isle of Wight, though their performance was a bit lacklustre (Morrison was really tired).

Woodstock '69 is, indeed, over-rated.

Vivian Campbell
01-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Woodstock '69? I was 1 years old. Couldn't give a fuck! The sixties are WAY over-rated anyway. The 60's generation keeps their LONG forgotten youth alive by the constant campaign to keep it in the public eye. WHO CARES?!?! 2004. WELCOME TO THE FUTURE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!

Right on Matt!

Shaun Ponsonby
01-25-2005, 11:39 AM
It was just significant for the time. Sure, it may seem dated to younger people like myself these days, but it was a significant event for the time. If you don't like it-don't watch the footage-simple.

In another couple of years you will be saying the same thing about Live Aid or whatever has gone on in the past 20-odd years, and people who were there will say, "But WE liked it". Anyone who was at Woodstock '69 are saying now "But, I liked it".

ODShowtime
01-25-2005, 01:19 PM
Well SARSTOCK was pretty kick ass. Biggest ticketed event in North American history, and a pretty ballsy line-up. When else could you see Rush, AC/DC and the Stones back to back? And it's on DVD. Good stuff.

diamondD
01-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I can't believe no one is talking about the US Festival possibly ranking up there as tops, with Van Halen in their prime making the biggest money ever for a performance.