PDA

View Full Version : What acts could sell out stadiums today?

Firebrand
07-25-2004, 10:33 PM
I think a DLR/VH reunion would sell most arenas out easily, but...50,000 seat stadiums at $50+ per ticket? I ain't so sure.

In fact, I can't think of hardly any act today that could have that kind of drawing power...

Who could sell 50,000 tickets to every show they did? :confused:

Rebel
07-25-2004, 11:12 PM
I agree, I'm a huge classic Halen fan, but they couldn't do stadiums without a smash hit new album. Here's a few I think could.

- If U2's next album is big, they could easily if they wanted to do that type of tour.
- A Pink Floyd reunion would, I'm talking a real reunion with David and Roger included. That is the largest potential reunion out there, and I could see it happening in the next year or two.
- Springsteen does (he sold out Giants stadium for like a week solid in 02)
- Bon Jovi, in certain areas (northeast US, Europe, Asia), maybe not the left coast though
- I'm not familiar with counrty acts, but I think Shania sells really well

Probably some others I'm not thinking of. I heard Ozzy with Zakk and Newstead sold out the Skydome.

Matt White
07-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Firebrand
I think a DLR/VH reunion would sell most arenas out easily, but...50,000 seat stadiums at $50+ per ticket? I ain't so sure.

In fact, I can't think of hardly any act today that could have that kind of drawing power...

Who could sell 50,000 tickets to every show they did? :confused:

A LED ZEPPELIN reunion would, no problem. I think a GNR reunion would as well. I saw Velvet Revolver at the State Theatre in Detroit in May, and judging by the crowd hysteria after every GNR tune, I think the original lineup would be HUGE!!! Not many others could pull it off

Rebel
07-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I thought about GNR, but I don't think they could, unless they did another one of those co-headline things with Metallica or something. Just my opinion though.

scottydabodi
07-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Stadiums are hard venues to sell out ALONE. We already know about Dave Matthews, Phish, and Bon Jovi. But as it pertains to DLR, maybe a REAL VH Reunion with some STRONG support acts... How about Kiss/Aerosmith/VH... Big Time Starpower with big time merch. That'd be a sold out stadium tour, no question. Or Zeppelin with Real VH... another big one. All just fantasy concerts at this point, though.

Rebel
07-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Phish and Dave Mathews? Those guys sell out stadiums? I'll bet those places smell sweet when they are in town.

scottydabodi
07-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Naw man, it smells like shit, and patchouli... fuckin' hippies.... Someone needs to open up a 6-pack of WHOOP ASS, 2 Bottles of Shut-the-Hell-Up, and a Keg full of Get-the-Hell-outtahere Juice on those stinkin' FOOLS!!!!

Rebel
07-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Seriously, do they sell out stadiums? I never thought those "jam" bands did.

I've heard hippie chick are easy, would be great if they shaved and didn't stink all the time.

EmpyreLounge44
07-26-2004, 12:01 AM
yeah phish and dave matthews have some real killer sales numbers and sell out 95% of their shows i would say. like them or not, they bring in the dough.

u2 sells out stadiums, others nowadays are justin timberlake/n sync...like them or not, but those fuckers pack people in the seat. thats probably the only pop that sells out. prince has been selling out consistently. metallica i think is selling places out and would have no problem if they put out a good disc. aside from all the reunions mentioned, i dont think there are any of other bands capable of selling out arenas...coldplay is probably pretty close to being able to sell them out

AJW
07-26-2004, 12:13 AM
I think U2 could. Even though anything after Achtung Baby was shit.

Jano
07-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Believe it or not but the red hot chili peppers just sotded out the Paris's stadium.It's about 45,000 seats!

Coyote
07-26-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
u2 sells out stadiums, others nowadays are justin timberlake/n sync...like them or not, but those fuckers pack people in the seat.
Justin Whimperlake etc. are the hair metal groups of the new generation: Easy to forget, and heading for the door...

coldplay is probably pretty close to being able to sell them out

A sad state of affairs it would be if those whiney losers would actually sell... (Can't really stand music that doesn't "go anywhere". Kinda like Coldplay's "Clocks"...)

Wayne L.
07-26-2004, 08:00 AM
Aerosmith, Kiss, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozzy Osbourne, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, the Who & Van Halen. Because all of these legendary rock acts made it on their music, their shows, their image & their attitude before MTV.

smaz
07-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
Aerosmith, Kiss, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ozzy Osbourne, Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, the Who & Van Halen. Because all of these legendary rock acts made it on their music, their shows, their image & their attitude before MTV.

I was thinking Rolling Stones and The Who too. AC/DC probably could too. Also any real re-unions could, like a Led Zepplin, Van Halen, Black Sabbath etc.

Bob_R
07-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Rebel
- Springsteen does (he sold out Giants stadium for like a week solid in 02)

10 shows at Giants Stadium and 3 at Shea Stadium. And, it was last year, 2003.

Rebel
07-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
10 shows at Giants Stadium and 3 at Shea Stadium. And, it was last year, 2003.

Yea, that's what I was thinking of, pretty amazing to say the least.