PDA

View Full Version : Report: Raiders reach agreement with T Gallery

ALinChainz
07-28-2004, 02:46 PM
July 28, 2004

BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) - It appears the Oakland Raiders will have massive tackle Robert Gallery, the second overall pick in the 2004 draft, for the start of training camp on Thursday.

ESPN is reporting that Gallery has reached an agreement in principle with the Raiders.

The 6-7, 323-pound Gallery is expected to take the left tackle job away from veteran Barry Sims, who may slide inside to guard. Many scouts consider Gallery to be a cut below Jonathan Ogden, but in the same class as Orlando Pace and Walter Jones.

The Outland Trophy winner as college football's top lineman in 2003, Gallery started every game at left tackle for the last three years at Iowa.

Gallery combines outstanding size and strength with agility. He is an excellent pass protector and gets off the ball quickly as a run blocker.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=raidersgallery&prov=st&type=lgns

Diver Down NJ
07-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Beautiful! :killer:

rustoffa
07-29-2004, 08:27 PM
May as well post it here....arrgh.
From Raiders.com.

http://raiders.com/newsroom/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=13178

Raiders Ink Three Picks
July 29, 2004

Offensive tackle Robert Gallery signs his first professional contract.

Raiders.com
The Oakland Raiders have just signed OT Robert Gallery and WRs Carlos Francis and Johnnie Morant. Gallery, a 6'7" offensive tackle out of the University of Iowa, was chosen with the 2nd overall selection in this past April's NFL Draft. The Raiders had signed 7th round choice TE Courtney Anderson on July 9.
Gallery claimed the coveted Outland Trophy - the award given to the nation's top interior lineman - during his final season in college. He was a team captain and a unanimous All-America first-team selection. On draft day, Raiders Head Coach Norv Turner said, "He's been an outstanding football player throughout his college career. We are excited to have him with the Raiders. I think he'll be a long-term, long-time, big time player for us."

"Most people who were talking about trading up were interested in Robert Gallery, so that's an indication of what people feel about him in the league," Turner said. "You know what we obviously feel about him. So that was the right thing to do, to take him."

Raiders WR Carlos Francis signs his first professional contract.

Raiders.com
Francis, a speed-burner out of Texas Tech, was selected in the fourth round of the 2004 NFL Draft. He hauled in 216 passes for 3,031 yards and 21 touchdowns during his career with the Red Raiders. Francis also excelled in track for Texas Tech, competing as a sprinter on the indoor and outdoor track team, in the 100, 200 and 4x100-meter relays.

"Everybody always has something, whether it's height or speed. God blessed me with the speed, I'm just lacking in the height category," Francis acknowledged after the Raiders selected him. "That's just fine with me. I like to be self-motivated, so it's extra motivation for me."

Morant was selected in the fifth round of this year's draft out of Syracuse. The 6'4", 215-pound wide receiver finished his collegiate career with 88 receptions for 1,535 yards and seven touchdowns, adding 524 yards on 22 kickoff returns. Morant had a string of at least one reception in 29 consecutive games, topped only by Scott Schwedes (40, 1983-86).

WR Johnnie Morant is all smiles as he signs his first pro contract.

Raiders.com
"Working with Coach Biletnikoff and Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, [Jerry] Porter, I can reach [my] potential," Morant expressed after being drafted. "I feel like that is a big opportunity."

The Oakland Raiders report to their Napa Valley training complex today for the start of training camp.

ALinChainz
07-29-2004, 11:27 PM
Gallery seems to be the real deal and the Raiders desperately needed the youth at wideout.

They will also have quite the battle at runningback, that will be real tight.