• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

QB Beuerlein retires as a member of Panthers

July 28, 2004

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Steve Beuerlein, who holds records for passing yards and touchdowns in the nine-year history of the Carolina Panthers, retired as a member of the team on Wednesday.

Beuerlein, 39, spent his last three seasons with the Denver Broncos before he was released last May.

A 17-year veteran, Beuerlein played for the Panthers from 1996-2000 and set club records with 12,690 passing yards and 86 touchdowns.

"This was the way it was meant to be," Beuerlein said of his decision to sign and then retire as a Panther. "My heart has always been with this organization."

Beuerlein went to the Pro Bowl for the first time in 1999, when he threw for 4,436 yards and 36 touchdowns. He was released before the 2001 season in an extremely unpopular move by then-coach George Seifert. The Panthers started rookie Chris Weinke at quarterback and finished 1-15. Seifert was fired after the season.

Beuerlein began his playing carer with the Los Angeles Raiders in 1987 and also played for Dallas, Arizona and Jacksonville.

• Sarge
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Good for him.
    he never should have been released anyways...
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

He was solid as both a starter and back-up.

Had his biggest year ever and Carolina released him.

Should hook up with a team as a QB coach, I think he'd do well.

Comment

Working...