• Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Winslow's agent rejects Browns' offer

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer

July 30, 2004

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Kellen Winslow Jr.'s agents rejected a contract offer from the Cleveland Browns on Friday that would make him the highest paid tight end in NFL history.

Winslow, the No. 6 overall selection, was not on the field as the Browns held their first practice.

In an unusual move designed to put pressure on Winslow's agent, Kevin Poston, Browns president John Collins released a statement two hours before the club opened training camp to announce that the Browns had made their ``best offer'' to Winslow.

Collins said the Browns proposed a deal that matched the one safety Sean Taylor, the fifth overall pick and Winslow's college teammate at the University of Miami, signed earlier this week with the Washington Redskins.

Taylor's package included a $7.2 million signing bonus that could exceed $13 million with incentives and the contract can reportedly escalate to $40 million over its length.

The Browns said their offer would ``far exceed'' the $31 million deal Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez signed in 2002. Gonzalez's deal included a $10 million signing bonus, the most ever given to a tight end.

The Browns' negotiating tactic is unusual because teams almost never disclose contract figures -- even after a deal is done. But the Browns, who earlier this week said they would keep talks private, publicly provided the framework for negotiations.

Poston wouldn't elaborate on his decision to reject the offer.

``I do not negotiate in the media,'' Poston told The Associated Press. ``We are continuing to negotiate with the Browns to obtain for Kellen Winslow II his fair market value.''

Winslow's holdout began one day after the New York Giants gave No. 1 pick Eli Manning a rookie-record $20 million in guaranteed money and No. 2 overall pick Robert Gallery received a potential $18.5 million in guaranteed bonuses.

It's unclear what Poston wants, but the Browns feel their offer that matched Taylor's was more than fair.

``Given the close personal and competitive relationship between Kellen and Sean Taylor, as well as their equal talent level on different sides of the football, we did not want to penalize Kellen for being picked one slot below his former teammate,'' Collins said in the statement.

``Faced with the opportunity to get Kellen in camp on time, we made our best offer.''

Poston and his brother, Carl, have a reputation for demanding the most for their clients. The Redskins passed on Winslow in the draft partly because Winslow chose the Postons as his representatives.

In their statement, the Browns said they examined Gonzalez's deal and their offer ``provides Kellen Winslow the opportunity to far exceed Gonzalez's compensation.''

The Browns have had negotiations with Poston for weeks. The sides had face-to-face negotiations on Wednesday at the team's headquarters.

At the time, coach Butch Davis said the club would not negotiate in the media, but that is exactly where things have gone.

``That's clearly not what we're going to do not only with Kellen, but any of the draft choices not only this year but in future years,'' Davis said earlier this week.

The Browns traded a second-round pick to Detroit and moved up one spot from No. 7 to No. 6 so they could select Winslow, the son of Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow.

Cleveland's last three first-round picks -- center Jeff Faine, running back William Green and defensive tackle Gerard Warren -- briefly held out of camp before signing.

The Browns may now face an even lengthier holdout by Winslow, who is expected to be a key contributor in Cleveland's offense this season.

AP Sports Writer Larry Lage contributed to this report.

• ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

The Postons.

A rejected record offer.

Can you say "lengthy holdout"?

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

And I just can't imagine that Winslow WANTS to play for the Browns either...

Who would...other than that HOMO Jeff Garcia...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

We all saw this coming anyway. The Skins say they didn't draft him for the agent reason, I doubt that's the case, but they weren't exactly wrong about it either.

Can't see where this guy thinks he should be paid more than Gonzo.

Amazing.

But ... it is beginning to look a lot like football.

Comment

• Diver Down NJ
          Head Fluffer
          • Jun 2004

Wow, this asshole makes Shockey look humble.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

It's amazing what a fucking name will do to you...

fucking Manning...Winslow...they all can goto hell....
            "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Yep, agree.

Of course, the beauty of it is ... some of the defensive players around the league ... licking their chops at the thought of putting the major fucking hurt on these prima donnas.

It'll happen.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Yeah...there are some linebackers in the North that will have Winslow's number tatooed on their arms before to long...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Would a rookie scale like the NBA has work in the NFL?

Probably the physicality wouldn't make it feasible, but I like the idea.

You're paid as to where you're picked.

This year would have been interesting with the Manning-Rivers thing, but it's clouding the deals up at the top of the draft anyway.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

I don't think it would work because those NBA deals are all guaranteed...

No NFL deals are guaranteed...barring an injury that is...

I think that factor alone keeps them from the rookie cap...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Yeah, just thought they are only for 3 years, so maybe the guarantreed money wouldn't be such a big deal.

But that being said, the NBA cut their draft way down, and the NFL would never consider that.

Too many of those lower round picks become stars.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

It just doesn't make sense for the NBA to do that...doubt the percentage is very high for anyone past the 2nd round in the NBA...with 12 man rosters...

The NFL...with 50 odd players...and practice squads...etc...it's hard NOT to have that many rounds...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Just hate all the holdouts, guys who have never played a down making all that cake.

And the risk of injury in the NFL, gotta have that many, even more.

Should make the practice squads bigger even.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Well...and they should have a hold out rule...

every 3 or 4 days equals a freakin' game suspension...

fuck em...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                              Yeah...there are some linebackers in the North that will have Winslow's number tatooed on their arms before to long...
                              That ain't no shit....

I'll give Cleveland credit (that doesn't happen often... ), those fans will NOT go for this crap....

First dropped pass and they'll be all over him....
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...