• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgt Schultz
    Commando
    • Mar 2004

Michael Moore Faked Front Page

Newspaper: Michael Moore Faked Front Page

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. – Filmmaker Michael Moore's Bush-basing documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" apparently has upset more than Republicans.

The [Bloomington] Pantagraph newspaper in central Illinois has sent a letter to Moore and his production company, Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., asking Moore to apologize for using what the newspaper says was a doctored front page in the film, the paper reported Friday. It also is seeking compensatory damages of $1.

A scene early in the movie that shows newspaper headlines related to the legally contested presidential election of 2000 included a shot of The Pantagraph's Dec. 19, 2001, front page, with the prominent headline: "Latest Florida recount shows Gore won election."
    The paper says that headline never appeared on that day. It appeared in a Dec. 5, 2001, edition, but the headline was not used on the front page. Instead, it was found in much smaller type above a letter to the editor, which the paper says reflects "only the opinions of the letter writer."

"If [Moore] wants to 'edit' The Pantagraph, he should apply for a copy-editing job," the paper said.

Lions Gate Entertainment did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment Friday.

© 2004 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

And the fact that it WASN'T a front page headline speaks volumes about right wing media bias in this country.

However, it's hardly the first time somebody's used a mockup of a newspaper
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Big Train
      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Way to rationalize.

How the fuck his doctoring of a paper has to do with right wing bias has got me. Please eloborate on how one individuals complete misuse of intellectual property, for his own direct profit, has anything to do with media bias.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
        Way to rationalize.

How the fuck his doctoring of a paper has to do with right wing bias has got me. Please eloborate on how one individuals complete misuse of intellectual property, for his own direct profit, has anything to do with media bias.
        The fact that GORE WON THE ELECTION should have been front page news. But a right wing paper chose to bury the story. That is the media bias.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

OK.

But what does that incident DIRECTLY have to do with this one? One (percieved) wrong deserves another? What about his personal accountability in this incident?

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

As I said earlier, it's hardly the first time somebody "faked" a newspaper headline.

If the BCE put a mock newpaper in their campaign commercial saying "Kerry voted against Star Wars", would you complain about that?
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Big Train
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Yea I would.

So what your saying is that because it's been done before, it's cool. Does that apply to other crimes too?

Comment

• wraytw

FORD is good at running in circles, isn't he?

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                  Yea I would.

So what your saying is that because it's been done before, it's cool. Does that apply to other crimes too?
                  Crime? Who the fuck said anything about a CRIME??

Geezy fucking pete, this is a case of substituting large point type on a Newspaper headline.

Let me illustrate what Moore did....

Exhibit A:

George W. Bush Jr is a lying piece of shit!

Exhibit B:
                  GEORGE W. BUSH JR IS A LYING PIECE OF SHIT!

Now obviously one of those is going to grab your attention quicker than the other. But the content of the words is exactly the same, is it not?

It's not altering the content of the story, and it certainly is no "crime".
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• lucky wilbury

editing, redistrubiting and republication copyrighted material is illegal. editing the front page of a privatley owned newspaper falls under that catagory

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Great..... now the CIA's gonna be all over my ass for posting new articles

BTW, is this another one of those new corporate bullshit "intellectual property" laws?
                      Last edited by FORD; 07-31-2004, 10:36 PM.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• HELLVIS
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD

It's not altering the content of the story, [/B]

WELL, HOLY SHIT BATMAN!
                        I'M GOING TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDITOR OF THE CINCINNATI POST. IN THE LETTER I'M GOING TO EXPLAIN THAT JOHN KERRY (PITCHER) AND LOVER (CATCHER) FORD, WHILE HAVING A THREESOME WITH BIN-LADEN, PLOTTED 9-11. I'LL TITLE IT "FORD/KERRY SUCK OSAMA, TOWERS FALL".
                        FUCK! THAT IS SUCH A MONUMENTAL STORY, THEY WILL HAVE TO GIVE IT FRONT PAGE HEADLINE STATUS!

AFTER ALL, ACCORDING TO FORD, PORTRAYING SOME LETTER WRITER'S OPINION AS A FACTUAL/CREDIBLE NEWS ITEM IS THE WAY A NEWS PAPER SHOULD BE RUN.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?
                        He throws a punch.
                        He swings. I duck.
                        His fat ass falls...
                        Hey Sammy,you still SUCK!

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Go fuck your sister or your sheep, or your sister's sheep or your sheep's sister. Whichever it is they do in Kentucky.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

And the fact that it WASN'T a front page headline speaks volumes about right wing media bias in this country.

However, it's hardly the first time somebody's used a mockup of a newspaper

NO, but it speaks volumes of the liberal piggies going to the theatres to see the liar's atttempt at a "documentary."
                            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• HELLVIS
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jul 2004

Go fuck your sister or your sheep, or your sister's sheep or your sheep's sister. Whichever it is they do in Kentucky.
                              WELL, I'M TOUCHED (DON'T GET EXCITED, I'M NOT THAT TOUCHED).
                              YOU FOUND MY POST IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO READ MY BIO, AND GET TO KNOW ME (OR AT LEAST WHO I SAY I AM) JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER.
                              SO WERE YOU BOTHERED BY WHAT I WROTE BECAUSE IT'S TRUE, OR BECAUSE THE FACT THAT I WROTE IT DOESN'T MAKE IT ANY MORE TRUE THAN SOME DUMB-ASS' LETTER TO THE EDITOR, THEREFORE PROVING YOUR POORLY CONCEIVED POINT WRONG.
                              NOW, WITH THAT SAID, PLEASE TRY TO REPLY INTELLIGENTLY TO MY POSTS IN THE FUTURE. STICK TO THE SUBJECT AND THE FACTS.
                              He throws a punch.
                              He swings. I duck.
                              His fat ass falls...
                              Hey Sammy,you still SUCK!

Comment

Working...