X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figs
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jun 2004

Stupid Rocky Mountain News Article

The moron says that they went on to even more commercial success with Hagar, and then at the bottom of the article shows they sold 16 million more Roth albums. WTF???

There is another poll mentioned at the bottom, though I couldn't find it. Also there is another article with a lot of old stuff, but I like this quote.

"I used to pull a guy out of the audience some nights to sing Jump because I just didn't even want to sing it. You know, I liked it musically, but I didn't get off on singing it. I have a whole different attitude. Now I'm going, 'No, I want to sing this song better than it's ever been sung.' That's where my head and heart's at, and you know, I'm tearing it up. Enough said. I'm tearing it up."

Some quotes from the article:

After Eddie and Alex Van Halen dumped original lead singer David Lee Roth at their 1984 peak, the band soldiered ahead, achieving even bigger commercial success with Hagar.

"I stopped appreciating this band toward the end because after 10, 11 years I was - I was just wore out, you know?" Hagar says. "It's pretty humbling this time around. Last time, you know, I thought I was a big rock star."

Evolution of VH

BY THE NUMBERS

8 Where the group ranks among all-time best-selling bands, based on U.S. album sales. In good company, Van Halen trails, in order, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones. But the band's 50.5 million sales put it ahead of both Metallica and Fleetwood Mac.

34 million. The number of Van Halen albums sold featuring David Lee Roth. Roth was at the helm of the band's two biggest discs: Van Halen and 1984, both of which have eclipsed the 10 million mark.

16 million. The number of Van Halen albums sold featuring Sammy Hagar.

500,000 The number of Van Halen albums sold featuring Gary Cherone.

THEY SAID IT

"Eddie has said he would take up the tuba if this thing doesn't work out. God help the tuba players of the world if this doesn't work out."

Michael Anthony in a 1998 interview with the Rocky Mountain News about the band's third - and ill-fated - lineup, with singer Gary Cherone.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

• Crystal Pepsi Fans cried "sellout" when the band let Pepsi use Right Now to sell its new soft drink. Crystal Pepsi lasted less than three years before Pepsi pulled the plug in 1993. Bottles and cans of the clear cola can be bought on eBay.

• Gary Cherone His new band, Tribe of Judah, released its first album in 2003 but hasn't been heard from since.

OLD-TIME ROCK 'N' ROLL

206 The combined age of the Van Halen members

PICK YOUR POISON

Who would you rather see at the microphone: Diamond Dave, the Red Rocker or - c'mon, there must be someone who liked Cherone - the ex-Extreme frontman? Cast your vote at RockyMountainNews.com/ Entertainment.

• Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

I read it as saying they sold 16 million with Fatty Pajama Pants and 34 million with the Diamond one ? With Roths two best selling more than 10 million... So two of DLR era sold more than the whole of the Hagar era ??? !!!!

Suck that one Spamsters !!
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

I read it that way too...

Comment

• SNIPER
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

Roth area albums have been out longer.

Comment

• Figs
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

This is the part that didn't make sense

"After Eddie and Alex Van Halen dumped original lead singer David Lee Roth at their 1984 peak, the band soldiered ahead, achieving even bigger commercial success with Hagar. "

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

That's partially true...

Comment

• Figs
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by SNIPER
              Roth area albums have been out longer.
              come on, all the albums are well past their prime selling days and will see no significant future sales.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

That's very true...

Comment

• SNIPER
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

vh 1 and 84 didnt reach diamond status till a couple years ago.

Comment

• scottydabodi
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

10 million = DIAMOND Status.

Cheeseburger = Hagar Status

Drunk = EVH Status
                    If you listen to fools
                    The Mob Rules

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Mar 2004

You have been at "Gary Cherone in a dress" status your entire life

Comment

• Snow Ho
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Apr 2004

no they reached diamond status the moment dave stepped in the studio

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
                          Foot Soldier
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Snow Ho
                          no they reached diamond status the moment dave stepped in the studio
                          nice...

Comment

• SNIPER
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

When Sam Halen era remasters come out we will see a large increase in sales fuckface.

Dave era Halen. You cant polish a turd, still souds weak.

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Mar 2004

When Sam Halen era remasters come out we will see a large increase in sales fuckface.
                              Once McDonald's starts giving away the Spermy remasters with each Happy Meal, the market will be saturated.... sorry...

Comment

Working...