TOP DRUMMERS OF ALL TIME!

1. ALEX VAN HALEN

2. KIETH MOON

3. GINGER BAKER

4. JOHN BONHAM

5. NEIL PEART

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-02-2004, 05:58 PM
fuck u... gene simmons is the god of thunder!

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-02-2004, 05:58 PM
and rock and rooool!!!!!!!

RogueHorseman
08-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by a.j

1. ALEX VAN HALEN

2. KIETH MOON

3. GINGER BAKER

4. JOHN BONHAM

5. NEIL PEART

Please... and I love Alex's work.

But for the rock genre, Bonham and Peart are 1 and 2 and everybody else falls in line after that in no particular order, period.

Thetruthbaby
08-02-2004, 06:16 PM
All I can say is in my close to 20 years playing experience I've never come across a drummer who thinks Alex is in that elite category. Modern Drummer had a READERS poll to name the 25 most influential drummers of all time and not style specific. Neil Peart was the highest rated rock drummer ahead of Bonham. Moon was in there also. AVH did not make the list that I recall. All this stuff is opinion but I feel you'd be hard pressed to find many drummers that would put Alex in the top 5 rock drummers category. One thing to remember is that being a popular member of a band is diffferent than being really popular with other musicians. Tommy Lee is a popular member of MCrue. Similar with P Criss simply because he was in Kiss. But I don't know many drummers who were heavily influenced by EITHER of these guys. Same with AVH. Alex can play no doubt. But I don't feel he's looked at the way Peart, Bonham, Moon, Baker, Aldridge or Carmine Appice are looked at in the drumming world.

RogueHorseman
08-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Thetruthbaby
...Alex can play no doubt. But I don't feel he's looked at the way Peart, Bonham, Moon, Baker, Aldridge or Carmine Appice are looked at in the drumming world.

Now THAT is a top 5, plus 1, that I'll put stock into.

Alex is very good, and did have unique, even standout qualities in spots on the six pack albums... BUT he is nowhere close to the level of the skins legends Thetruthbaby has mentioned.

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-02-2004, 06:30 PM
and peter criss and eric carr and eric singer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

MERRYKISSMASS2U
08-02-2004, 06:31 PM
count peter criss out shit he is bad lately lol

Thetruthbaby
08-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Yeah like I said, Peter Criss was mostly popular because he was in Kiss at their peak. He was never really looked at like a drumming legend. He is a legend simply because he was in Kiss. Nothing more.

Starwood
08-02-2004, 08:51 PM
These types of lists are always subjective, but for the record - Al doesn't even make Starwood's top 10.

Bonham
Peart
Simon Phillips
Ian Paice
Tommy Aldridge
Tommy Lee
Matt Sorum
Terry Bozzio
Dave Lombardo
Greg Bissonette

Honorable mention goes to Dave Grohl - probably my favorite drummer right now.

cscmtp
08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Alex is a good/average drummer. But his solos suck. Boring as all get out. Peart on the other hand, now THAT is a great solo. Best rock drummer hands down.

Terry
08-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Alex just isn't in the same league as Peart, Bonham or Moon.

This in no way means his drumming sucked on the 6 pack albums, or that he can't play, and has nothing to do with what comes out of his mouth in interviews.

He was just never awe-inspiring on his instrument the way Ed was on the guitar. As a part of the classic Van Halen lineup, maybe we're talking legendary, but not necessarily as a drummer. Back in the day, AVH was the drummer and Mike Anthony was the bass player. EVH and Dave were the standout members of that band. You just didn'i hear people falling over themselves to call AVH a legendary drummer. This revisionism is just way off base.

Agreed that AVH did a great job on Fair Warning.

Matt White
08-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by a.j

1. ALEX VAN HALEN

2. KIETH MOON

3. GINGER BAKER

4. JOHN BONHAM

5. NEIL PEART

Thats just plain silly:lol:

BIGBADZERO
08-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
Thats just plain silly:lol:

You're right. It's Keith Moon.

LOS35
08-03-2004, 01:09 AM
Hold up, what happened to the mention of Stewart Copeland from the Police? His skills are tight!

BIGBADZERO
08-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by LOS35
Hold up, what happened to the mention of Stewart Copeland from the Police? His skills are tight!

I totally agree.

Golden AWe
08-03-2004, 05:00 AM
Who is KIETH Moon? Is he related to BRITTANY Spears?

Learn to spell your naive language you moron

Panamark
08-03-2004, 06:06 AM
Hot for Teacher fookin Rocked.

But Al is a prick. So :

Bonham
Moon
Peart
Tommy Lee
Ringo Starr !! (LoL)

Panamark
08-03-2004, 06:08 AM
Actually Lars Ulrich probably should be in the mix too..

Wayne L.
08-03-2004, 11:14 AM
I know Alex is one of the greatest rock drummers of all time even though he's highly underrated just like Ringo Starr. The greatest rock drummers of all time whether that be number one or number two are the late, great Keith Moon & John Bohnam.

Foozwah
08-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I know Alex is one of the greatest rock drummers of all time even though he's highly underrated just like Ringo Starr.
There really is no end to your public displays of stupidity, is there Wayne? Unless...every post you make is coming from a place of deep and twisted irony...? (Come clean dude, it's all been a facade, right? No-one could really be that stupid. Oh, except rockvanhalen66, of course.)

Oh, and for the hell of it, my 5 drummer votes are (in no particular order):

Nick Mason (For the Floyd's earlier days)
Chad Smith (As a pretty straight-up rock drummer, his playing has given me far more pleasure than AVH could ever manage)
Tim "Herb" Alexander (Almost any track he's done with Primus shits all over AVH's playing from a great fucking height.)
Rob Hirst (For powerful and creative work with Midnight Oil.)

and just to have one "classic" in there:

John Bonham (For all the usual reasons.) :D

That's all just my personal opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary.
;)

a.j
08-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by RogueHorseman
Please... and I love Alex's work.

But for the rock genre, Bonham and Peart are 1 and 2 and everybody else falls in line after that in no particular order, period.
seen bonham and peart, alex van halen has them both beat
beleve that!!!!

Satan
08-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by a.j
seen bonham and peart, alex van halen has them both beat
beleve that!!!!

Now I KNOW you're on crack. And there's no way in God's green earth or my flaming red Hell that you are old enough to have seen John Bonham play live.

Wayne L.
08-04-2004, 10:52 AM
I think I'm one of the smartest & one of the coolest guys around at the DLR Army who knows what he's talking about most of time unlike yourself Foozwah.

Carmine
08-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Dave Lombardo( Slayer) is IMO... The most talented drummer alive!!!!!

F'n guy is AMAZING!

Warham
08-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by BIGBADZERO
You're right. It's Keith Moon.

This is the most intelligent post you've ever made here. I actually agree with you.

Foozwah
08-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I think I'm one of the smartest & one of the coolest guys around at the DLR Army who knows what he's talking about most of time unlike yourself Foozwah.
Well you just keep telling yourself that, and maybe one day, if you really believe enough, it'll actually come true. :D

Of course, you might have to, you know, not write quite so many posts that make yourself seem like such an ill-informed, gushing, 11-year old fanboy first.

"I'm cool! No, really I am!" Heheheh! :D :rolleyes: :D

pete
08-04-2004, 10:55 PM
The only reason alex's drums worked so key within VH is because EVH is a riffer. you never heard much rhythm guitar. it worked in VH context. him and Michael Anthony created a backdrop for EVH's showcase. but as a drummer..... he's aggressive. but not overly skilled.

and I wouldn't want a neil peart playing on it. drums are secondary in VH. neil peart and EVH would become fusion. I like rock.

U2 used the same concept believe it or not. The edge is not a strummer. A simplistic low end, accented by percussion. creates a rhthmic backdrop to the guitar.

Manu Katche' (peter gabriel) that's a drummer. Steve Gadd is a monster. (check out "50 ways to leave your lover" ignore everything else-listen to the drums and polyrhythmics) AVH doesn't have the finesse, imagination, or attention span of these guys.

Matt White
08-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Shemp Van Halen...The STOOGE of BLUNDER!!!!

Shemp isn't even in THE SAME GAME as guys like John Bonham, Ginger Baker, Keith Moon,....hell, not even Dave Grohl,Charlie Watts, and the GREAT PHIL RUDD!!!:killer: :killer: :killer:

Ozzy Fudd
08-11-2004, 10:24 PM
I gotta go with TheTruthBaby I've playing drums since i was 8 years (cardboard boxes pots and pans) until i got my first drum it was a little blue flake snare my father brought home from work for my 11 birthday
i played that sob every day along with a box or two. i played to Frankie Ifield records, Buddy Rich ( Master Drummer) and one of my top 5 when i turned 16 my dad brought me to a local night club and told the owner (his friend) to let me sit in and play a song or two with his band so sure enough my first stage fright sat in. i played red river valley then i asked if i could play wipe out, they all looked at each other and nodded and said do it kid after the song was done his bar went wild even his drummer said kid stick with playing the skins man you'll go far.And even set me up with a place that when i told the store owner that Jimmy Tutt sent me to by a drum set i got my first set of ludwigs 5 peice Champaine Sparkle for 160 dollars new (man i wish i still had those) i wound up being a part of and a fill in for those guys(The Bobsmen) for 15 years untill i got involved with my own bands.
anyway my 5 are

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

John Bonham

Neil Peart

Tommy Lee ( Flash Drummer only )

In that order too

tobinentinc
08-12-2004, 12:05 AM
I saw both Alex and Neil this summer, and I must say that Neil is the superior drummer. His solo was longer and more intense than Alex's, this dosen't take anything away from Eddie's older brother. But my list would be:

1. John Bonham
2. Neil Peart
3. Keith Moon
4. Phil Collins
5. Greg Bissonette

wrigleyvillbabe
08-12-2004, 12:10 AM
When I first read your post a.j. I fucking laughed my ass off!!!

AVH better ranked than John Bonham and Keith Moon!

PLEASE
Do you know anything about music at all?
Don't get me wrong, I love Alex's work with Classic Van Halen, but he can't hold a candle to John Bonham.

In my opinion John Bonham is the best rock drummer up to this point.

redblkwht
08-12-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by tobinentinc
I saw both Alex and Neil this summer, and I must say that Neil is the superior drummer. His solo was longer and more intense than Alex's, this dosen't take anything away from Eddie's older brother. But my list would be:

1. John Bonham
2. Neil Peart
3. Keith Moon
4. Phil Collins
5. Greg Bissonette #5 bissonette?
diggin a little deep bro, dave & all..
you 1 & 2 are right on though, i say they are a tie..IMO.
Id give Lars Ulrich the nod over greggy-lol
even add in Andy Somers from the police back in the day..he rocked!
hell talk about drummin? ZZ top's Dusty hill was awesome live. ;)

Warham
08-12-2004, 07:50 AM
You mean Stewart Copeland from the Police?

redblkwht
08-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Warham
You mean Stewart Copeland from the Police?
same guy different wig..lol

so long ago, i dont have my music
set up, most my cd's are in storage. ya got my warham ;)

Reverberator
08-18-2004, 08:02 PM
We all really know that it should be :

1) Peart

2) Bonham

3) Ulrich

4) Lombardo

5) The drummer in Chas & Dave

dave_is_vh
08-18-2004, 11:20 PM
There is Neil Peart, and then there is everyone else.

dave_is_vh
08-18-2004, 11:21 PM
Scott Travis (Racer X, Judas Priest) is pretty darn good too.

Susie Q
08-19-2004, 08:39 PM
My favorite drummers are:

Randy Castillo
Neil Peart
Ozzy Fudd
Tommy Lee
Ansley Dunbar

I've heard Ozzy Fudd play the drums and his style is much like Neil Peart with a booming Ansley Dunbar. PHENOMINAL in all respects. That's why he has my respect ;)

Ozzy Fudd
08-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Susie Q
My favorite drummers are:

Randy Castillo
Neil Peart
Ozzy Fudd
Tommy Lee
Ansley Dunbar

I've heard Ozzy Fudd play the drums and his style is much like Neil Peart with a booming Ansley Dunbar. PHENOMINAL in all respects. That's why he has my respect ;)

Thanks SusieQ for putting me on the list .
I'm still trying to put something together after the open mike nite that you were at. A little =VH= and OZZY tribute Band. has always been on my mind I would Call the Band Van-Ozzy. lol

Susie Q
08-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
Thanks SusieQ for putting me on the list .
I'm still trying to put something together after the open mike nite that you were at. A little =VH= and OZZY tribute Band. has always been on my mind I would Call the Band Van-Ozzy. lol

Yah but...you gotta play some other stuff like in the old days, eh?
Remember Live Wire? You were ON THE MONEY with that one.

PerryLane
08-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Bonham

rest

Figs
08-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Alex Van Halen kicks ass on the drums. Top 10 or 20. It's all subjective anyway.

Without a drumset he is an ASSHOLE.

Shut up and play Alex!

fe_lung
08-21-2004, 10:27 AM
. One thing to remember is that being a popular member of a band is diffferent than being really popular with other musicians. Tommy Lee is a popular member of MCrue. Similar with P Criss simply because he was in Kiss. But I don't know many drummers who were heavily influenced by EITHER of these guys.

Well put. In the opposite category one would think of someone like Stuart Copeland or Manu Katche whom drummers adore but the public are (mostly) unaware of.

What I find fascinating about guys like Al and Tommy Lee is how much of their personality comes through in their playing (I'd put Pat WIlson of Weezer in there too). I would argue that Tommy Lee is the most important part of Crue's musical identity. Likewise Al, ass though he may be sometimes, would be irreplaceable in VH.

Contrast that with most rock drummers who are certainly not a critical member of their line-up. Most rock bands could go through drummers a la Spinal Tap and you'd not notice it. VH wouldn't be the same without Al, same as they'd be without Ed, just as they're not the same without Dave.

Ozzy Fudd
08-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by fe_lung
. One thing to remember is that being a popular member of a band is diffferent than being really popular with other musicians. Tommy Lee is a popular member of MCrue. Similar with P Criss simply because he was in Kiss. But I don't know many drummers who were heavily influenced by EITHER of these guys.

Well put. In the opposite category one would think of someone like Stuart Copeland or Manu Katche whom drummers adore but the public are (mostly) unaware of.

What I find fascinating about guys like Al and Tommy Lee is how much of their personality comes through in their playing (I'd put Pat WIlson of Weezer in there too). I would argue that Tommy Lee is the most important part of Crue's musical identity. Likewise Al, ass though he may be sometimes, would be irreplaceable in VH.

Contrast that with most rock drummers who are certainly not a critical member of their line-up. Most rock bands could go through drummers a la Spinal Tap and you'd not notice it. VH wouldn't be the same without Al, same as they'd be without Ed, just as they're not the same without Dave.

Well Said