Why ole Alex does deserve to be in with the other greats.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MUSICMANN
    Sniper
    • Apr 2004

Why ole Alex does deserve to be in with the other greats.

Alex VH does deserve to be considerd a all time skin smasher. I know that there is two other threads on this subject, but i wanted to add my point of view. Out of all the great drummer's they have, John Bonham is the one guy he molded himself after. And i know how some are saying that Al 's not as technical as a few of the greats, but the one thing Al has is Attitude. When you really think about it the best two pieces of music that Bonham ever played Was Moby Dick and Kashmire. He just was a fucking animal on those songs. Were they the most technical songs on the planet, no they were not. He just beat the fuck out of those drums with a all or nothing attitude. Al has that same Raw attitude that Bonham had. Just as Bonham gave LZ that unmistakable sound so has Al did with VH. Some of you guys said that you have seen better drummer's in the local clubs. Well let me tell you, there is a big differance between being a natural and pro player and a guy who plays in some local band. If you want to see the differance, go to the atomic punks site and click on the video of them at the hob with Micheal anthony and you will see the differance what a pro musician is like on stage compared to some guys that can play real good. Look at their drummer and see if you can just throw him in Vh and you would not know the differance.
  • scottydabodi
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jun 2004

I'd rather see The Atomic Punks... at least they kick ass at the Classic tunes.
    If you listen to fools
    The Mob Rules

Comment

• turboblues

Re: Why ole Alex does deserve to be in with the other greats.

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
      Alex VH does deserve to be considerd a all time skin smasher. I know that there is two other threads on this subject, but i wanted to add my point of view. Out of all the great drummer's they have, John Bonham is the one guy he molded himself after. And i know how some are saying that Al 's not as technical as a few of the greats, but the one thing Al has is Attitude. When you really think about it the best two pieces of music that Bonham ever played Was Moby Dick and Kashmire. He just was a fucking animal on those songs. Were they the most technical songs on the planet, no they were not. He just beat the fuck out of those drums with a all or nothing attitude. Al has that same Raw attitude that Bonham had. Just as Bonham gave LZ that unmistakable sound so has Al did with VH. Some of you guys said that you have seen better drummer's in the local clubs. Well let me tell you, there is a big differance between being a natural and pro player and a guy who plays in some local band. If you want to see the differance, go to the atomic punks site and click on the video of them at the hob with Micheal anthony and you will see the differance what a pro musician is like on stage compared to some guys that can play real good. Look at their drummer and see if you can just throw him in Vh and you would not know the differance.
      What a load of crap! After watching the video of the Atomic Punks I still find myself concluding that Mr Spock as well as Mr Fatty are mediocre musicians. VAN HALEN was and is DLR and Edward. End of discussion!

Comment

• MUSICMANN
        Sniper
        • Apr 2004

Dude if you can't see the differance than you are blind!!

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2004

I have to agree Alex really, really does rock. He was an incredible asset to VH while Dave was in the band. His drum sound and playing style really were excellent.

Personally, though, he is a complete diaper licker at this point

... that is a soiled diaper I am referring to...

Comment

• MUSICMANN
            Sniper
            • Apr 2004

On a personal level, no one here know's the guy, so i can agree that he is probably a shithead. Name one real iconic rock star that's not. but through all of that, the dude is still a animal on drums

Comment

• scottydabodi
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

He sure seems like a Douchebag to me, but then again he did add much flavor to the band, and was VITAL to the band's chemistry/dynamic...
              If you listen to fools
              The Mob Rules

Comment

• turboblues

I still don't think he's that great, but he might as well be there for the real reunion!

Comment

• SNIPER
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

Those that think Al is not that great of a drummer are fucking dumb ass mother fuckers!!!!!! Thats all Im gonna say about that!

Comment

• turboblues

Well, well! And what makes you such an authority on the skins?

Comment

• DLR_EngineRoom
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2004

Alex VH does deserve to be considered an all time skin smasher.
                      As a musician, I must agree, Al's pretty good on drums. But as a PR/Advertising Guy/Comedic Input, he sucks as Dave's so-called, self-proclaimed replacement.
                      http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
                      http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
                      http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by turboblues
                        I still don't think he's that great, but he might as well be there for the real reunion!
                        Nah. As long as Al's around, there won't be a reunion.

AVH is a good drummer, perhaps even great at times, but nowhere near making my list of all time great drummers.

Ed and Dave were the main contributors to classic Van Halen's signature sound. Mike and Al both had a big part in it, but Al's just part of VH's rhythm section to me.

Guess the main thing AVH lacks that prevents him from being one of the all-time greats is innovation.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

I would agree that Al will never be in the spotlight of innovation like ED, But the dude is as solid as a player as bonham. Like someone mentioned in another thread on this, you could put 100 drummers all in the same room with Al and i could close my eyes and pick him out. The guy does have his own sound just like Ed does, so that does make him inventive. Everyone needs to understand , in my opinion, VH was always more about the whole, rather than about the individual pieces. Ed and Dave was out front and by far the more talented, but Al and mike was just as big of a contributor to the whole sound of VH as The other two. We all have differing opinions though and that's what makes the ARMY so great.

Comment

• Foozwah
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2004

Re: Why ole Alex does deserve to be in with the other greats.

Alex VH does deserve to be considerd a all time skin smasher.
                            Nup. He was mediocre at best, and now he's not even that. The fact that he's unrecognised as a 'great' is simply a reflection of the fact that he isn't. Deal.

I know that there is two other threads on this subject, but i wanted to add my point of view.
                            So why didn't you post to one of those, rather than starting another one that offers no new insight or difference whatsoever?

And it's "I know that there ARE two other threads..."
                            Last edited by Foozwah; 08-04-2004, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• pete
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DIAPER
                              Those that think Al is not that great of a drummer are fucking dumb ass mother fuckers!!!!!! Thats all Im gonna say about that!
                              The only reason alex's drums worked so key within VH is because EVH is a riffer. you never heard much rhythm guitar. it worked in VH context. him and Michael Anthony created a backdrop for EVH's showcase. but as a drummer..... he's aggressive. but not overly skilled.

and I wouldn't want a neil peart playing on it. drums are secondary in VH. neil peart and EVH would become fusion. I like rock.

U2 used the same concept believe it or not. The edge is not a strummer. A simplistic low end, accented by percussion. creates a rhthmic backdrop to the guitar.

Manu Katche' (peter gabriel) that's a drummer. Steve Gadd is a monster. (check out "50 ways to leave your lover" ignore everything else-listen to the drums and polyrhythmics) AVH doesn't have the finesse, imagination, or attention span of these guys.

Comment

Working...