Vinny Interceptiverde named Dallas starting QB!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Vinny Interceptiverde named Dallas starting QB!

Cowboys dump quarterback Carter

August 4, 2004
    OXNARD, United States (AFP) - Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones announced the Dallas Cowboys have released quarterback Quincy Carter just a day after it appeared he was the top choice to start for the American football team.

According to ESPN, Carter tested positive for an illegal substance under the National Football League's drug testing policy, although there has been no confirmation or announcement of a suspension by the league.

Confidentiality agreements in the collective bargaining agreement prevent Jones and Cowboys coach Bill Parcells from saying if Carter was cut for failing a drug test.

"We can't give information on this, but I can say it was not a difficult decision, though very disappointing," Jones said. "We made a decision to go in a different direction."

The stunning ouster of Carter comes one day after Parcells told Carter he "had a leg up" on 40-year-old Vinny Testaverde and rookie Drew Henson in quest of a starting role because of his familiarity with the offense.

"I'm saddened by this turn of events, but I just couldn't keep him in the plans," Parcells said.

In 2003, Carter threw for 3,302 yards and 17 touchdowns but was intercepted 21 times as the Cowboys went 10-6 and made the playoffs in Carter's first full season as a starter. Carter, 26, started eight games in 2001 and seven in 2002.

"I had 18 months invested in this," Parcells said. "That's very disappointing to me. I just ask my players three things. One, to try to do things the way we teach them. Two, I need the players to be reliable and dependable. Three, I need them to be motivated to win football games."

Testaverde, signed by the Cowboys after being released by the New York Jets , likely will take over as starting quarterback.

"We were all shocked when he (Carter) came around this morning and said goodbye to the guys," Testaverde said.

"We don't know why this happened. But this is an opportunity for me to take over and I want to just get this team back to the playoffs."

Testaverde enjoyed the best season of his 17-year career with the Jets in 1998 when Parcells was coach, throwing for 29 touchdowns with only seven interceptions. He is seventh on the all-time list with 40,943 passing yards.
  • Lou

We already have a thread about this, so closing this one out.

Comment

Working...