I don't wanna hear about that, no
  • knowitall
    Roadie
    • Aug 2004

What about: You know you're semi-good looking
    And on the streets again
    Yeah you think you're really cookin' baby,
    You better find yourself a friend, my friend
    I think that defines Roth these days. Anyone ever hear of Jim Dandy from Black Oak Arkansas??? That would be Dave's whole persona almost to a T, except Jim Dandy was around for years before Dave was. Strange , but true.

Comment

• rustoffa
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by knowitall
      And on the streets again
      Nice point!
      It all works 'cept for the "semi-good lookin'" line.

Ed's got toes pokin' through his shoes and yabba dabba dos.

Al's lookin' like an Imelda Marcos stunt double.

Mike.....fuck, he uses his effect-ridden base as a ladder to climb up
      from middle earth.

Sam??? somebody else take this one.

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

And on the streets again
        I think that defines Roth these days. Anyone ever hear of Jim Dandy from Black Oak Arkansas??? That would be Dave's whole persona almost to a T, except Jim Dandy was around for years before Dave was. Strange , but true.
        The first one was a two-fisted edit.
        I've heard of Jim Dandy.
        He gives Dave his full blessing in "The Early Years".
        You think you're really cookin' baby?

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Who is Sammy Hagar?

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
            Commando
            • Mar 2003

Who is Sammy Hagar?
            David Lee Roth says that Sammy Hagar is a bridge drone troll. I think he is a complete whiney bitch who is deathly afraid of the success that Classic Van Halen had that he could never live up to. Bluntly put he is just an old angry man who lives in a delusional fantasy world in which Van Hagar sold 20 million more albums than Classic Van Halen. Every time he talks he utters nothing but lies and sounds like a sack of assholes. Sarge told me that Bette Midler and Sammy Hagar are the same person. For a laugh please ask me who Bette Midler is. Thanks for your time. ..
            "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• MAX
              Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

That would be Dave's whole persona almost to a T, except Jim Dandy was around for years before Dave was. Strange , but true.
              With the exception that people everywhere recognize the name DAVID LEE ROTH!!! Love him or hate him, they name is known!!!! Aske the average person Sammy HAGAR and they have either never heard of him or say "Oh, that's the guy who replaced DAVID LEE ROTH in Van Halen!!!"
              EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
                With the exception that people everywhere recognize the name DAVID LEE ROTH!!! Love him or hate him, they name is known!!!! Aske the average person Sammy HAGAR and they have either never heard of him or say "Oh, that's the guy who replaced DAVID LEE ROTH in Van Halen!!!"
                I've told you before, Max...I'm sick and tired of you insulting my favorite singer Sammy Hagar. The dude is so rockin', and there's so much of him to enjoy these days. I think F.U.C.K. is the greatest Van Halen album ever...after all, it alone sold 15 million more copies than the first Van Halen album. And basically on the strength of rock classics like MAN ON A MISSION, IN 'N' OUT, TOP OF THE WORLD...

Jesus Christ, what's the matter with me? I gotta lay off the crack pipe.

Sammy Hagar...even his name is fucking horrible. No wonder there's a fucking comic strip called HAGAR THE HORRIBLE.
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

I think "TAKE YOUR WHISKEY HOME" is the tune that better sums up the atmosphere around Van Hagar these days!!!!:bottle: EXCEPT their NOWHERE near as cool themselves as that song is!!!!!

Comment

• knowitall
                    Roadie
                    • Aug 2004

Incidentally, Sammy's insecurity is understandable. Long before Sammy replaced Dave in VH, he and Dave had a war of words going in the press. They both referred to it as "professsional wrestling". VH was an entity unto itself, with a hardcore fan base--we all believed in the party vibe and good times they projected. It WAS a projection...Roth and VH hated each other for 4 years before they broke up. Nonetheless, Sammy is asked to come in and sing for phase II, and has to deal with the legacy of one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Not to mention hate mail, signs at shows calling him whatever folks could think of, etc etc. VH was trying to move ahead, and ol' Sam just wanted to forge his own spot with the band. He's not stupid, and he knows that while fans want to hear certain songs, he knows they are going to hate him for attempting to do the Roth stuff!!! Damned if he do, or don't. Right? An awesome gig, and a no win situation with the majority of the fans. Like I said, Sam's insecurity about singing the Roth era stuff is understandable.

Comment

• Rikk
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Incidentally, Sammy's insecurity is understandable. Long before Sammy replaced Dave in VH, he and Dave had a war of words going in the press. They both referred to it as "professsional wrestling". VH was an entity unto itself, with a hardcore fan base--we all believed in the party vibe and good times they projected. It WAS a projection...Roth and VH hated each other for 4 years before they broke up. Nonetheless, Sammy is asked to come in and sing for phase II, and has to deal with the legacy of one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Not to mention hate mail, signs at shows calling him whatever folks could think of, etc etc. VH was trying to move ahead, and ol' Sam just wanted to forge his own spot with the band. He's not stupid, and he knows that while fans want to hear certain songs, he knows they are going to hate him for attempting to do the Roth stuff!!! Damned if he do, or don't. Right? An awesome gig, and a no win situation with the majority of the fans. Like I said, Sam's insecurity about singing the Roth era stuff is understandable.
                      It's not insecurity. He just doesn't like the material that much. He's said as much..."I bought the first six albums solely for the guitar playing." Also, before 5150 came out, he talked about how much better the band's newer material was. What an ass! He really thinks the original band was like some obscure garage band before the "real" legacy.
                      Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Purely curious...I've heard this before and don't know much about it. Do you know anything about the "war of words" that Sam and Dave were having (when and what was said) while Roth was still in the band? I've always been really curious about this.
                        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Matt White
                          • Jun 2004

Very Valid points, Knowitall, but Spammy didn't help the situation. The VERY first articels and interviews done for 5150 came on the heals of DAVES EEAS ones. DAVE was very humble and complimentary to the brothers and Mike. Spam and the Van Halen sisters came out SWINGIN' at Dave. "Mindless word drool" comes to mind for what they where sayin about DAVE. The Spam man could have quieted things down by takin' THE HIGH ROAD, like DAVE had done post 1984. But, he chose to join the sisters in tryin' to rake DAVE over the coals, eventhough DAVE had a superior record (EEAS) and a much better tour. So Spammy is no victim in all this. He chose to believe the shit the sisters were sellin' 'bout DAVE, and 11 years latter LEARNED THE HARD WAY that the von HALEN sisters are two serious BITCHES!!!!

Comment

• knowitall
                            Roadie
                            • Aug 2004

It was just something Dave said about Sammy Hagar fans....I can't remember all the context, but I remember thinking Sam's comments were like a flea biting an elephants ass--pretty much punching up from the ground. There was a lot of "irony" around VH choosing Sammy.... I think Sammy liked Roth at the time, honestly, the slagging was pretty tame. Like I said, this was a damned if you do, or don't, gig for anybody at that time. I'm sure Steve Vai felt the same way. In a sense.

Comment

• Rikk
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

It was just something Dave said about Sammy Hagar fans....I can't remember all the context, but I remember thinking Sam's comments were like a flea biting an elephants ass--pretty much punching up from the ground. There was a lot of "irony" around VH choosing Sammy.... I think Sammy liked Roth at the time, honestly, the slagging was pretty tame. Like I said, this was a damned if you do, or don't, gig for anybody at that time. I'm sure Steve Vai felt the same way. In a sense.
                              Interesting. Funny how much the whole VH experience altered Sam's ego. I guess that's natural. I would give anything for him to realize how much he sucks and for him to realize how unpopular he actually is.

Another note: knowitall, when you try and make a productive post, you do a great job. Why do you insist on attacking this site and some of the very good people here? It only makes you look like an ass when you could probably be a good poster. Seriously...do you really want to be someone like BIG BAD VIRGINS? There's a lot of good discussion here, and a lot of realistic discussion as well. I think I'm basically saying that you can do whatever you want, and we'll react accordingly. But if you were to actually try and have good productive discussions instead of attacking good people like Bill or Engine Room, you'd probably fit in great.
                              Roth Army Militia

Comment

Working...