PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Move Payton, Fox to Celts

ALinChainz
08-06-2004, 03:40 PM
The Lakers, in need of a big man since trading Shaquille O'Neal to Miami last month, had to give up Gary Payton to get one.

An NBA source told ESPN.com's Bill Simmons that the Celtics have dealt Chris Mihm (in a sign-and-trade), guards Marcus Banks and Chucky Atkins and a future second-round pick to Los Angeles for Payton, Rick Fox and a lottery-protected first-round draft pick.

Boston also receives cash in the deal, ESPN.com has confirmed through a high-ranking Celtics source.

The Celtics have scheduled a 4 p.m. ET news conference to announce the trade.

Payton, who in June exercised his $5.4 million option to play with the team next year, struggled in his only season with the Lakers' triangle offense. He started all 104 games the team played -- 82 in the regular season and 22 in the playoffs -- but averaged 14.6 points, his lowest output since the 1992-93 season, and a career-low 4.2 assists in the regular season.

Information from ESPN Insider Chad Ford and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1853576

Sarge
08-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Payton is done.
Whoever wants a trade involving him is crazy...

ALinChainz
08-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Has to be for the cap room, dumping those other deals.

Payton has always been a cancer, but at least before, he could play.

Now he is JUST a cancer, and his productive playing days are for the most part over.

WARF
08-06-2004, 04:03 PM
I am fucking pissed off.

Everyone knows I am a celtic fan... and I have only one thing to say... they better get rid of Danny Ainge!!!

They just drafted Marcus Banks.... and they got a washed up Payton in return?!?! This is bullshit!

First the Walker trade last year.... for fucking LaFrentz and Welsh... was a total bust... now this!!!

What's next? Gonna trade Paul Pierce????

Va Beach VH Fan
08-06-2004, 07:51 PM
FINALLY !!!!

I've been waiting for what seems like 20 years to the Lakers to get rid of Rick Fox.....

POJO_Risin
08-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Well WARF...at least you'll get to see Vanessa Williams more...of course...her tits are saggy...

I can't imagine what Ainge is thinking...

in the same respect...Mihm isn't exactly the answer in LA...

Lou
08-07-2004, 07:26 PM
I don't know what the salaries were but this is a bad trade for the Celtics. Payton and Fox both suck anymore. The Celtics aren't going anywhere for awhile so I don't see how this helps them. If they had to re-sign Chris Mihm to do this trade, then the only players they got rid of were Chucky Atkins and Marcus Banks. Were those two salary cap burdens for the Celts?

Boy Danny Ainge really knows how to make the moves doesn't he :D

Warham
08-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Seems decent to me.

Rick Fox is pretty much done, and Payton would moan about something if he stayed in LA.

Good move for LA.

WARF
08-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
FINALLY !!!!

I've been waiting for what seems like 20 years to the Lakers to get rid of Rick Fox.....

Didn't we trade him to the lakers in 1972???? lol