X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SRK
    Roadie
    • Jan 2004

Dave defeats sammy once again!

In 1996 poor sammy gets his ass canned from Van Halen . Dave enters and makes two new songs with the brothers. The public and press EAT UP the idea of Dave's return. They put out the BEST OF VAN HALEN it peaks at no. 1 and stays on the charts for 52 weeks . Goes platinum in less then a year. Is now multi platinum.

Now sam gets his shot at a greatest hits and it peaks at no.3 and by week two drops down to 13. They put 3 new songs out. The public and press barely care. They release "it`s about time" ....and it`s about lame.

sam`s real quick to say his vanhagar is the best and how many records he sold even if he lies about the numbers.

SO sam hows it feel to be overshadowed by Diamond Dave once again eat em and smile you sloppy seconds LOVING Leach .

Edward could of solved this debate long ago by putting out a cd of VAN HALEN DAVE ERA along with DVD US FEST AND A CD OF van hagar ERA aong with dvd of any of their live stuff SOLD THEM seperate AND THEN THE FANS WOULD BE THE JUDGE, but van hagar knows that that DAVE ERA RULES . So van hagar and the boys try to run from their past but are forever over shadowed by Diamond DAVID LEE ROTH. ENOUGH SAID.

THERE IS NO VAN HALEN WITHOUT DAVID LEE ROTH.
  • TwoFoolsAMinute
    Sniper
    • Apr 2004

Testify, Brother!!!!

Comment

• Tom Foolery
      Head Fluffer
      • Aug 2004

Come on its kind of hard to compare those numbers. For one thing, BOBW was the second greatest hits released, that means less people are more inclined to buy it, it also was a double disc which makes the casual VH fan less likely to buy it. BOV1 had new songs from both Sammy and Dave, so of course it was going to sell more, but it sure wasnt JUST because of dave. Half the songs on the CD were sammys, so i dont think you can say that Dave really "owned" sammy.

I dont really think Edward has alot of intrest in setteling the argument over who is more popular by putting out different shit by each version of the band, i think he is just concered about money, and making music. I wouldnt say that Van Hagar is running from the past, they play like 6 dave tunes a night, seems like they are embracing their past.
      2005 Super Bowl Champions DENVER BRONCOS!!!
      http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...USA_medium.jpg http://www.cyberdwarf.com/raiders_suck1.gif

Comment

• Big Train
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Tom, you don't even need to base it on that.

Base it on the current tour falling flat.

Base it on the fact the Me Wise Magic was #1 on the rock charts for several weeks, while the new sammy tunes are in lunar rotation.

Base it on the total sales of Roth era vs. Sammy era CD's. Pick any angle you want and Roth comes out on top.

Comment

• ClubDave
          Roadie
          • Aug 2004

i think big train has brought thsi debate home for team dave.......rock on brotha

DOLEMITE MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• DLR ROCKS123
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Jul 2004

I saw this on the vhnd website thought it was pretty funny this is how far eddie has to go to make money lol

EVH Art Guitars and Custom Shop Replicas
            Let Ed stripe a guitar for you
            07/23/04-9:00 AM

is the site where i saw it i think it also said for a shiny nickle he'll even give ya a guitar lesson while he put's the stripe's on hahahaha

Comment

• SRK
              Roadie
              • Jan 2004

My point exactly Big Train . Why even put out two greatest hits ? Its a fraud . Someones trying to cash in on the fans. Eddie said in 96 they thought about putting out a cd of Roth era and hagar BUT sam shot that idea down. ED also said he did not want to tour on a greatest hits package...hmmm go figure..well I think the fans have spoken .

Last edited by SRK; 08-08-2004, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Tom Foolery
                Head Fluffer
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                Tom, you don't even need to base it on that.

Base it on the current tour falling flat.

Base it on the fact the Me Wise Magic was #1 on the rock charts for several weeks, while the new sammy tunes are in lunar rotation.

Base it on the total sales of Roth era vs. Sammy era CD's. Pick any angle you want and Roth comes out on top.

Depends on your definition of falling flat, playing to 10,000 on average, is pretty damn good if you are asking me. Me Wise Magic was a song that they spent tons of time on, i dont remember the issue, but i think it was in guitar world they interviewed ed, and he talked about how much time was spent to make sure that song was great, they didnt have nearly the time to perfect these tracks on BOBW

the spice girls sold more records then the beatles

so record sales do not tell the whole story, you gotta base it off the music, not the sales
                http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...USA_medium.jpg http://www.cyberdwarf.com/raiders_suck1.gif

Comment

• Tom Foolery
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by SRK
                  well I think the fans have spoken .

THERE IS NO VAN HALEN WITHOUT DAVID LEE ROTH
                  All those fans showing up every night dishing out tons of money for tickets and swag are all saying the same thing huh, no vh without Roth. Its obvious that VH without roth is successful, now wheather it is as high quality, it up for debate

Comment

• Starwood

Originally posted by Tom Foolery
                    Depends on your definition of falling flat, playing to 10,000 on average, is pretty damn good if you are asking me. Me Wise Magic was a song that they spent tons of time on, i dont remember the issue, but i think it was in guitar world they interviewed ed, and he talked about how much time was spent to make sure that song was great, they didnt have nearly the time to perfect these tracks on BOBW

the spice girls sold more records then the beatles

so record sales do not tell the whole story, you gotta base it off the music, not the sales
                    10K per night for the reunion of a "supergroup"??? With Dave they'd be selling out STADIUMS - and you know it.
                    And - PAY ATTENTION - The Spice Girls haven't sold more records than the Beatles.
                    You fall on your head when you were a kid? You ain't makin any sense at all dude.

Comment

• SRK
                      Roadie
                      • Jan 2004

It`s not as succesfull as it could be or would be with Dave. van hagar thought they would sell out a lot of shows. A lot of these shows are half empty . The new song is already off the charts.

Comment

• Tom Foolery
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Aug 2004

N
                        Originally posted by Starwood
                        10K per night for the reunion of a "supergroup"??? With Dave they'd be selling out STADIUMS - and you know it.
                        And - PAY ATTENTION - The Spice Girls haven't sold more records than the Beatles.
                        You fall on your head when you were a kid? You ain't makin any sense at all dude.
                        Their total cd sales didnt, but Spice World out sold any single Beatles CD. You cant compare total cd sales because beatles made quite a few more records

about roth selling out stadiums, speculation. I wouldnt doubt it though, it has been 20 years from the time he left the band, alot of people never got the chance to see them live, me included, and would go see it, but you cant promise me he would sell out arenas

Comment

• Tom Foolery
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by SRK
                          It`s not as succesfull as it could be or would be with Dave. van hagar thought they would sell out a lot of shows. A lot of these shows are half empty . The new song is already off the charts.

I dont disagree that the new songs suck. I really dont like them all that much, but it doesnt mean that Van Hagar sucks. Van Hagar is a succesful band, and anyone who will argue that is an idiot. Van Halen is Van Halen with or without dave. Also, im pretty sure that there has not been a show that wasnt more than half full.

Comment

• SRK
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2004

There are many degrees of success. Even the spice girls can be considered a success . VAN HALEN with DAVE was one of the all time great bands ,theres a big difference. My point is they are better with DAVE. By the way DAVE came up with the name VAN HALEN for the band . THE BROTHERS CAME UP WITH RAT SALAD.

Comment

• Tom Foolery
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by SRK
                              There are many degrees of success. Even the spice girls can be considered a success . VAN HALEN with DAVE was one of the all time great bands ,theres a big difference. My point is they are better with DAVE. By the way DAVE came up with the name VAN HALEN for the band . THE BROTHERS CAME UP WITH RAT SALAD.

Understood! but i think they would have been better off going with Rat Salad

Comment

Working...