What went wrong in 2000?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rob100

What went wrong in 2000?

I know the story behind the failed reunion in 1996, as it appears in "crazy from the heat". All I know from the failed 2000 reunion, is that Dave one time said that he had written a few tunes with EVH that year, and since then never heard of Eddie again.
    In 2001 Eddie told a reporter in of a golf-magazine that he had been doing stuff with Dave, but everything got screwed up because lawyers and record companies got involved.

Does anybody here know what really went wrong and if they have been writing and recording songs? Thanks.
  • Big Troubles
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Feb 2004

The only "story" Ive heard was that indeed lawyers and record co. got involved and messed things up. I guess at that time, Ed was recovering nicely and he wanted to just play music, and that when he clicked with Dave again. When is Ed gonna get it? The best music played is the music that is not forced. Zappa's kid was even quoted as saying Dave was back in the band and they are making music together. Dave said they'd written 3 astonishing songs. (I believe he said the hands would fall off the clock) Lets hope we hear those on BOV3 next year! LOL
    "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by Big Troubles
      The only "story" Ive heard was that indeed lawyers and record co. got involved and messed things up. I guess at that time, Ed was recovering nicely and he wanted to just play music, and that when he clicked with Dave again. When is Ed gonna get it? The best music played is the music that is not forced. Zappa's kid was even quoted as saying Dave was back in the band and they are making music together. Dave said they'd written 3 astonishing songs. (I believe he said the hands would fall off the clock) Lets hope we hear those on BOV3 next year! LOL
      True but with Sam, Ed wrote 72,000 amazing songs.

I believe Sam said, "my lips were on Ed's cock."

Comment

• Leo VanNewhouse
        Groupie
        • Feb 2004

We can only hope that we will ever hear those or any new Roth tunes with VH. I know I'm hoping.
        NOT FAKIN' IT!!!

Comment

• Dave's Dradle
          Roadie
          • Mar 2004

It's only 50/50 that words coming out of Hagar's mouth are truthful, but in his radio interview last week on WRIF he said that he didn't have a contract with the band right now, it was done on a handshake.

I doubt Dave would do that, especially after 1996.

Also, Dave himself has said that the songs with Ed from 2000 are rough demos and will never be heard.

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Not unless...

God, wouldn't it be a scary thought if "It's About Time", "Up for Breakfast" and "Learning to See" actually WERE the new Roth songs from 2000?

Scary thought...
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
              Sniper
              • Apr 2004

somewhere, some time, some day, the shit will come out of the vaults. There will be new van halen. we may have to wait for the passing of the VH brothers, but it will happen someday. Perhaps when VH gives it up for good and they don't have to worry about being "forward thinking" anymore.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by bueno bob
                Not unless...

God, wouldn't it be a scary thought if "It's About Time", "Up for Breakfast" and "Learning to See" actually WERE the new Roth songs from 2000?

Scary thought...

I could see Dave having something to do with those songs, 'Hot Dog and a Shake' is just as dumb as 'Up For Breakfast'...

Although the new crap generally sounds like Hagar spew...

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

I agree...if they WERE the songs from 2000, I'm sure they would have almost been completely rewritten to Hagarize them. Change the words, then you have to change the music, and then they decide that this goes better here and that goes better there...before you know it, you've got a brand new song practically.
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• lms2

Originally posted by rob100
                    I know the story behind the failed reunion in 1996, as it appears in "crazy from the heat". All I know from the failed 2000 reunion, is that Dave one time said that he had written a few tunes with EVH that year, and since then never heard of Eddie again.
                    In 2001 Eddie told a reporter in of a golf-magazine that he had been doing stuff with Dave, but everything got screwed up because lawyers and record companies got involved.

Does anybody here know what really went wrong and if they have been writing and recording songs? Thanks.
                    No one knows for sure what happened in 1996 or 2000. It is a bit more complicated than just that the guys had a difference of opinion. Hell they had that the whole time. Sometimes things happen beyond our control and despite our best intentions we are left standing there with our mouths hanging open saying What the FUCK just happened here. But by then it is too late to change it.

Comment

• lms2

As for the rest of this thread. Big Troubles, I agree with you.

We all hope to hear those or any new stuff with the one and only Original Classic Van Halen...

and the rest of you guys...you could be right about the three new songs being Dave and Ed. My thoughts are that even though all songs are credited to Van Halen, that there is one major writer...and that would be IMO, Ed. Dave always did like off the wall shit...and those three new songs are off the wall.

Ya know how in school the teacher always said go back and check your work? Well, I was one of those kids that the teacher said Except you...you just turn yours in. I would always go back and change my answers again and again and again....and I had the right answer the first time. I think Ed is like that. Write it and record it. Quit fucking it up. David understood that about Ed and helped keep it in check. Spam wants to leave his mark on everything. Just as in nature when an animal marks its territory, it stinks!

Comment

• VH LINKS SUCKS
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jan 2004

It would great to know the real answer to the tunes that weren't released with Dave. That is, obviously Dave would remember the music and someone like Howard Stern should ask Dave if the tunes released with Hagar were the ones he wrote with Eddie.
                        As for the lawyers and record exec's getting involved, I'm sure Alex had a say in the matter, that son of a bitch! He never wanted Dave back from his recent comments.

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                          Veteran
                          • Jul 2004

Well only the future holds they key, but when they are rockin back with dave, i know ill be there

Comment

• lms2

After seeing Alex in concert again...(I know, what a tool-but if it was my last chance to see three of the four...I wasn't going to miss it) he seems a little different. But, then to me, Alex is like a little kid that says I hate you everytime they dont get what they want, but they never really mean it. Al is maybe a little shallow and doesnt feel anything that deep as to have an ongoing hatred for David Lee Roth.

Now what AL has been doing the last six years is anyone guess...but I believe I read on this site that he will be getting married again after this tour. Is that true? (that could be a negative for a reunion with Dave...Al aint gonna chance Dave stealing this one too.)

Comment

• lms2

And David Lee Roth has always had it and always will. And that boy knows how to use it.

Comment

Working...