Clear All
  • rustoffa
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Bucs negotiating with Tim Brown

From MercuryNews.com:

Bucs negotiating with Tim Brown

Associated Press

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had weekend conversations with former Oakland receiver Tim Brown and the agent for holdout receiver Keenan McCardell, but neither has signed.

General manager Bruce Allen said Monday that he plans to talk to Brown again soon. Brown was released last week by Oakland and said he planned to spend the weekend weighing his options.

Allen said he's not concerned with Brown's age, 38, or that he might have slowed down a step.

"I remember when we signed a guy named Jerry Rice (in Oakland)," said Allen, who was the Raiders senior assistant before becoming Tampa Bay's general manager in January. "They said he was done, too. Each player is different. You've got to look at them for what they bring to the table."

With McCardell holding out and Joe Jurevicius recovering from back surgery, the Bucs could use help at wide receiver.

Allen said he still sees no quick resolution to McCardell's holdout. McCardell is seeking to renegotiate his contract, which still has two years remaining. He's scheduled to make $2.5 million this year and $2.75 million next year, but wants to be paid close to the average of No. 1 receivers in the NFL, around $4.3 million.

Allen talked with Gary Uberstine, McCardell's agent, over the weekend and categorized the talks as "friendly," but said nothing has changed.

"He's making the stance he thinks is right," Allen said. "We disagree with it. We're not making the choice of Keenan sitting out. As far as we're concerned, we care about the guys who are here and who are working."

Several players returned to practice Monday morning after missing workouts over the weekend.

Tackles Todd Steussie and Kenyatta Walker, both suffering knee swelling, returned as did wide receiver Joey Galloway (right knee soreness), defensive tackle Ellis Wyms (sprained ankle) and defensive end Reinard Wilson (left hamstring strain).

Starting right guard Matt Stinchcomb (right calf strain) and wide receiver Charles Lee (right hamstring) are still out.
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

You knew Gruden would come calling.

And would have even if Keenan McCardell hadn't decided to hold out.

You have to think that Denver and Mike Shanahan will make their pitch too. They signed him to an offer sheet, but Oakland matched.

Shanny will always continue to try and stick Al Davis.

Comment

• rustoffa
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
      You knew Gruden would come calling.

And would have even if Keenan McCardell hadn't decided to hold out.

You have to think that Denver and Mike Shanahan will make their pitch too. They signed him to an offer sheet, but Oakland matched.

Shanny will always continue to try and stick Al Davis.
      LOL, Al's reveling in the whole speel as we type.

Comment

• Lou

Tim Brown is done, I can't see why any team, even the Arizona Cardinals or some perennial loser like that, would want him. At this point he's simply taking up a roster spot. I don't know what the Bucs think they're gonna get out of him but it wouldn't be much, certainly no more than a rookie backup WR would give.

C'mon Tim, know when to call it a day. Don't be like Emmitt Smith and just hang around.

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Tampa is in a bad situation though. He knows Gruden's offense. McCardell is holding out. Galloway is a career bust. Jurevicious is out. This is purely out of need. The Raiders last season had a woeful line, a carosel of QBs and no running game or defense, with a coach that lost the team.

Rice didn't do squat, Porter, their only deep threat was out most of the season, I don't think anyone on the Raiders had a good year. They had to play dink and dunk, and we all know he doesnt have the wheels anymore.

He goes to Tampa, and then sucks? Then he should retire. Different position with Emmitt (who is now back to starting, so not really just hanging around), and this year, the NFL is cracking down BIG TIME on the downfield grabbing by DBs, he gets off the line, and he can still get open I think.

Comment

• redblkwht
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I totally agree with lou, hes in worse shape than rice, hek either couldnt even shadow themselves last yr.
            forgetaboutit..
            TB is stupid if they get him, mccardell is more in his prime
            for hs age.

EUAS

Comment

• Dave IS VH

It's going to be a re building year for the TB Bucs. The Bucs D isn't like it was in years past with Sapp leaving and all.

Comment

• rustoffa
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Tampa is in a bad situation though. He knows Gruden's offense. McCardell is holding out. Galloway is a career bust. Jurevicious is out. This is purely out of need. The Raiders last season had a woeful line, a carosel of QBs and no running game or defense, with a coach that lost the team.

Rice didn't do squat, Porter, their only deep threat was out most of the season, I don't think anyone on the Raiders had a good year. They had to play dink and dunk, and we all know he doesnt have the wheels anymore.

He goes to Tampa, and then sucks? Then he should retire. Different position with Emmitt (who is now back to starting, so not really just hanging around), and this year, the NFL is cracking down BIG TIME on the downfield grabbing by DBs, he gets off the line, and he can still get open I think.
                I'm looking for a big year from Porter.
                When he did make it back last year, he was probably 70% at best.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

I meant that Timmy Brown didn't have the wheels anymore, my bad, should have made that clear.

Porter ahould have a solid season IMO also.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by redblkwht
                    I totally agree with lou, hes in worse shape than rice, hek either couldnt even shadow themselves last yr.
                    forgetaboutit..
                    TB is stupid if they get him, mccardell is more in his prime
                    for hs age.
                    McCardell holding out, and no plans of showing up. Wants more than the $2.75 he'd make this year. He's over 30 too.

Like I said, Joe J is out, Galloway is a deep threat only, and that leave rookie Michael Clayton.

TB will sign him.

Comment

• redblkwht
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

McCardell holding out, and no plans of showing up. Wants more than the $2.75 he'd make this year. He's over 30 too.

Like I said, Joe J is out, Galloway is a deep threat only, and that leave rookie Michael Clayton.

TB will sign him.
                      Its a done deal, espn reported its reality..
                      Tampa is now stooping into bandaid players him & Charlie
                      Garner, its too bad, i hope it works im a fan, i just
                      think they arent going to the next level with them
                      if they are hoping for a playoff berth.

EUAS

Comment

• Lou

Rice should retire too. It's over Jerry. You proved your point, you're the greatest WR to ever live and you won 4 SB's, but you're done.

Comment

Working...