X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR'sCock
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Republicans Fund Nader as Decisive Electoral Weapon

Ralph Nader, the consumers' champion who became the scourge of Democrats for his determination to run for US president, faced a concerted challenge yesterday to his candidacy in a battleground state.

Republicans Fund Nader as Decisive Electoral Weapon
    By Suzanne Goldenberg
    The Guardian U.K.

Tuesday 10 August 2004

Ralph Nader, the consumers' champion who became the scourge of Democrats for his determination to run for US president, faced a concerted challenge yesterday to his candidacy in a battleground state.

In two separate lawsuits, Democratic activists in Pennsylvania sought to keep Mr Nader off November's ballot.

The move intensifies the war between Republicans and Democrats over Mr Nader's candidacy, a conflict fuelled by the maverick's willingness to accept funds and help from some of George Bush's most ardent supporters.

Republicans are eager to see Mr Nader do well - not because of his stand on the environment or Iraq - but in the hope that he will tip the balance towards Mr Bush in the race against John Kerry, the Democratic challenger. But the Democrats have stood their ground, with activists harrying Mr Nader's effort to get on the ballot in several states.

In the Pennsylvania lawsuits Democrats accused the Nader campaign of falsifying thousands of names on petitions endorsing his candidacy in the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas. His campaign was also accused of failing to pay the contractors who organised the petition and who allegedly paid homeless people a dollar for each signature.

A spokesman for Mr Nader said only petition gatherers who turned in fraudulent signatures were unpaid.

The Democrats took Pennsylvania by a relatively slim margin during the last election and party activists defended the law suits against Mr Nader yesterday.

"The bottom line for us is that we are partisan Democrats, and we are very much interested in getting John Kerry elected," said Michael Manzo, aide to a Democratic state legislator. "We view Mr Nader's candidacy as a threat. Will it be a large threat? We hope not, but we are not willing to take any chances."

Similar scenarios are unfolding in other states with Democrats fighting a rearguard action to keep Mr Nader out of the presidential race.

In the battleground state of Arizona he was knocked off the ballot on a technicality, and the party is raising funds for legal challenges in Florida, Michigan, West Virginia and Nevada.

Mr Nader dismissed the challenges as a display of insecurity. "It shows the lack of confidence Democrats have in their own candidate," he told Businessweek magazine.

However, among Mr Nader's new supporters this election is the billionaire Richard Egan, who was appointed ambassador to Ireland after raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for President Bush. Campaign monitors say other big Republican donors have contributed as well. In Oregon, also poised for a tight contest, two conservative groups admitted telephoning supporters to help put Mr Nader on the ticket.

But even with the new-found patrons, he has made slow progress in his effort to get on state ballots. He missed a chance to get on the ballot in California at the weekend when supporters raised only half the 153,000 signatures required.

But Democrats say that was Mr Nader's due when he decided to contest these elections, reopening the feud on the American left begun when Mr Nader drained off crucial support for Al Gore in the 2000 elections, handing Mr Bush his victory.

With memories of that defeat still rankling, even some of Mr Nader's closest associates were outraged when he announced his candidacy earlier this year.

That anger grew further when Mr Nader rebuffed a request from Mr Kerry to stay out of the race in key states.

That is when the Democratic machine stepped in with Howard Dean, a hero to the party's left wing for his anti-war stance, deployed to herd wayward Democrats.

One of Mr Dean's aides from his failed campaign for the Democratic leadership founded a website called the Nader Factor which documents Republican support for Mr Nader.

Mr Nader is not expected to match the 2.8m votes he won last time. But some like John Zogby, the Democratic pollster, say that hardly matters.

He said Mr Nader could hold the balance in several states - should he succeed in getting on the ballot.

But his candidacy presents another challenge for the Democrats.

"He is the ghost of the left, he is the one who rallies the anti-war sentiment and Democratic populism, and so his presence in the race is casting a shadow on Kerry," Mr Zogby said.

"It's not going to be enough for him just not to be George Bush."

States of flux

A poll last week had Kerry on 48%, Bush 43%, and Nader 3%. If Nader gets on the ballots, and taking into account polls' margins of error, he can turn several states, including:

Florida
    Kerry 1% up on Bush
    Nader 1.5%

Minnesota
    Kerry 1% up on Bush
    Nader 2%

New Hampshire
    Kerry 4% up on Bush
    Nader 4%

Pennsylvania
    Kerry 5% up on Bush
    Nader 5%

·Source: Zogby International, Mason Dixon, the University of New Hampshire

-------
  • Roth kills Sam
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2004

Get this crap out of here, you tool

Comment

• ZahZoo
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Keep your friends close but your enemies closer...
      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Roth kills Sam
        Foot Soldier
        • Mar 2004

This has nothing to do with David Lee Roth... well... I guess this has to do with America... and Dave is an American Hero... so OK, we can keep it...

Comment

• Thetruthbaby
          Head Fluffer
          • Jun 2004

PLEASE.....

Yes, please remove this. Politics and DLR. 2 different things. Completely.
          DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER

Comment

• Big Train
            Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

A LOT is made out of Nader. Democrats are so scared of Nader, they accuse Republicans of being the driving force behind the Greens...follow the logic on that one. The truth is the Greens are just Democrats with balls, who would actually act on their beliefs and that is scary to everyone. The Dems don't have it in them to beat Bush alone and are ready once again to blame it on Nader and a whole host of other calamities.

It takes a lot of balls to claim minority voting rights are being shortchanged and then challenge a third parties bid legally in every state they wish to participate in.

Comment

• knuckleboner
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
              Democrats are so scared of Nader, they accuse Republicans of being the driving force behind the Greens...
              techincally, nader's not on the green ticket this year. he didn't make their ballot.

Comment

• Big Train
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

THis is true, my apologies. Perhaps I should rephrase and say the general term, third parties...

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Ralph is running as an Independent,....

BTW, did I originally post this in the wrong forum??? If so, I do apologize...

I predict he will drop out in Oct...

I love Ralph, but this is not the year for it...

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                    techincally, nader's not on the green ticket this year. he didn't make their ballot.
                    Also, Ralph was never a member of the Greens, but he did run on their ticket, when they drafted him twice in 1996 and 2000....

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

But the point is, that the Republican party is purposely trying to get Ralph on the ballot in many states, so that he will be a spoiler....

Hell the Repukes handed in the signatures themselves he needed for one state already...I think it was Michigan...

Comment

• Big Train
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

So what though, is my point. Should not every application for the job be taken, especially the most important in the country? If the Dems can't do it alone, who cares? The real side benefit is to see whether or not they can get 5%. I am a conservative, but I do believe in letting and candidates be heard. I would be happy if Ralph got his federal funds from the 5% and HAD to be heard next time around.

It is a great hypocrisy from the Dems that they accuse the government of witholding minority voting rights or making it difficult, while ACTIVELY trying to stop another group of Americans from using their rights.

Comment

• wraytw

Cool...

Comment

• Pink Spider
                            Sniper
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
                            But the point is, that the Republican party is purposely trying to get Ralph on the ballot in many states, so that he will be a spoiler....

Hell the Repukes handed in the signatures themselves he needed for one state already...I think it was Michigan...
                            This whole "Republicans helping Nader" thing is silly. Republican individuals have the right to donate and try to get on the ballot whomever they want. If they think they're helping Bush, more power to them. How many Republicans are donating to Kerry? The real question should be asked: how many special interest groups are donating to Kerry?

Look, Kerry and Bush are both war supporters, supporters of NAFTA, WTO and GATT, opposers of gay marriage (Kerry favors civil unions, but it's not the same). Both have dubious ties to Skull and Bones, support the "Patriot" Act, support the "drug war" and are fueled by special interest money. I could dig deeper, but you get the idea. So, when's the right time for third parties and independent candidates?

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by wraytw
                              Cool...
                              Heh heh heh... My thoughts exactly!

Except I was going to phrase it this way...

AWESOME!!!!

Man I love anything that makes these liberals whine and complain.

Comment

Working...