The Band Is Back In Hiding After This...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

The Band Is Back In Hiding After This...

A quick thread I wanted to have concerning opinions of what the band is going to do next...

What amuses the hell out of me concerning the sheep is while they defend the band's actions, defending the horrible new songs by saying "the band's just warming up", defending another BEST OF by saying "they just needed something in stores before the tour...I love BEST OF's!", defending the boring set list and high ticket prices by saying "it's just great to have 'em back, the next tour will have a more interesting set list"...the band has made its money and once again, it's going to run!!

These sheep are so pathetic. They are running around, shouting "It's 5150 time!!" every two fucking seconds, making long threads about IT'S ABOUT TIME being better than every song on FAIR WARNING put-together, excited that the "legendary" band Van Hagar is back, when they have been duped. Sammy's recent comments about how the band will not do a new album and he is going back to play with the Waboritas speak volumes: THIS WAS A ONE-OFF TOUR TO MAKE MONEY. The set list looks like the set list from the VH3 tour with the Dave songs removed and replaced with songs Gary didn't want to sing like RUNAROUND (REACHAROUND), BEST OF BOTH WORLDS (WORST OF BOTH WORLDS) and LOVE WALKS IN (DEATH WALKS IN). They probably rehearsed for less than a week, and they obviously pulled out nothing new (at least nothing new that the Ched Rocker was willing to try). The band was obviously needing money, and the official story is just too neat. It's obvious that Sammy and the boys wanted some cash. This is no reunion that seems to have been inspired musically or personally: they have no real inclination to record or play new music, they don't travel together, they probably have no contact backstage.

But back to the music: they rushed through three fucking songs, for a best of package? Simple. They did the songs quickly so as to avoid too much unnecessary contact. Throw 'em on a BEST OF and get the fuck out of there! Do a big tour, take the money and run. Throw commercials on the radio showing Dave in 80% of the shots. Air commercials on the radio with mostly Dave-era material. And promote the tour as the "Van Halen Reunion Tour", but don't actually state "Eddie, Alex, Mike and Sammy" in the promotion (at least not in big letters)...kind of fools people, doesn't it? I guess they don't care that promoters are being fucked up the ass since the band get a guarantee?

Well, two things will happen from this tour shit:
    1) the band will have a hard-time playing arenas again since they didn't come close to selling out almost any of them, plus they asked for too high a guarantee and promoters will learn
    2) the band will have learned once and for all that Sam just isn't that popular and the band's name is only really valuable if it's the original band (at least now that people don't care about those Hagar albums anymore)...if they do a tour again, I'd be surprised if Dave isn't there.

The Azoff management has proven how fallible it really can be. But was anyone really surprised by how high these ticket prices were? Myself, I don't care. I wouldn't have gone anyway. I saw the BALANCE tour (yes, flame me). I don't need to see the UNBALANCED tour. But the sheep thought this was the "let's get our feet wet" tour, and they're going to be sorely mistaken.

1) Sam's work ethic is shit (at least with Van Halen).
    2) The band went away for a long time before and didn't give a shit about the fans...they'll have no problem doing it again.
    3) Ed has obviously not liked the critical abuse they've received in certain circles from not getting Roth back. They even felt they had to justify his non-inclusion in this reunion in early press statements because they knew that most people considered that the obvious reunion choice. It's obvious they know this kind of "reunion" is good for a quick cash-grab and go.

They're in no rush to work with Dave again. They don't give a shit about what fans want. If Dave stopped asking for 25%, maybe they'd have considered it before. But now that they've seen the crowds (or should I say small assemblies) once more, and now that it's been proven what little demand there is for new material, and now that they've been paid, Ed will crawl back into his hole, Alex will be able to pay his ex-wives again and Mikey will get fatter (although I'm sure he will do so to the tune of some excellent hot sauce...I love hot sauce myself). Sam, in the meantime, will go on living the lie his life is. ("I'm the biggest rock story in history...Mick Jagger calls me up and asks for pointers...the Cabo Wabo is the biggest tourist attraction in the world...VOA sold more than the White Album...Montrose was a bigger band than Aerosmith...Van Hagar has officially sold 250 million records in the U.S. alone...I have more fans than Led Zeppelin."

The band will never officially break up (they never did before). Weren't they working on an "album" five years ago? They'll probably stay completely quiet or talk again for years about some "album". They probably won't even say who the singer is...they won't make any mention of it. Sam was a hired hand for this tour, and there's good reason for it.

They're back in hiding, and the sheep are going to look dumber and dumber as the silence continues. And that'll be the fun thing. This place will probably become even more argumentative as us Rothtards are proven right. And eventually, Sam will say "I haven't spoken to Eddie in a year..." And maybe then, Dave will get the call. But just maybe. It's more likely that the band is completely finished.

If this is all not true, I'll be very surprised. They've hardly ever stated that they were back make albums and tour every other year.

Eat Sammy's meat, you sheep.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.
  • light 'em up!
    Foot Soldier
    • Mar 2004

Yes, Ed and Al suck.

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Couldn't have said it better.
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• EmpyreLounge44
        Foot Soldier
        • Jun 2004

Re: The Band Is Back In Hiding After This...

I always think its funny when everyone talks about how the new songs are so bad and say how the sheep are comparring them and saying they are legendary...kind of like everyone here with the mediocre MWM and CGTSNM. All the new songs VH did for the two best of sets were mediocre at best.

I dont think the tour was a one-off as you said Rikk...when I heard his comments, I kind of equated that more to a Kiss thing where they are just going to tour whenever they need the loot and then the members will do various solo projects. then after that is done, they reconviene and do a tour. i dont thin its a good idea, but they are definitly a nostalgia band than anything else....with a decent other band they can still play the arenas, and probably will get another shot at solo arenas on name alone and blame how quickly it was thrown together and crap like that, and the overall bad summer concerts are having minus a few names. I dont know how anyone could be surprised at the high ticket prices...i dont want to even think of what the price would be if they ever did a tour with dave...itd be gross....but it won't happen.

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Re: Re: The Band Is Back In Hiding After This...

Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
          I always think its funny when everyone talks about how the new songs are so bad and say how the sheep are comparring them and saying they are legendary...kind of like everyone here with the mediocre MWM and CGTSNM. All the new songs VH did for the two best of sets were mediocre at best.

I dont think the tour was a one-off as you said Rikk...when I heard his comments, I kind of equated that more to a Kiss thing where they are just going to tour whenever they need the loot and then the members will do various solo projects. then after that is done, they reconviene and do a tour. i dont thin its a good idea, but they are definitly a nostalgia band than anything else....with a decent other band they can still play the arenas, and probably will get another shot at solo arenas on name alone and blame how quickly it was thrown together and crap like that, and the overall bad summer concerts are having minus a few names. I dont know how anyone could be surprised at the high ticket prices...i dont want to even think of what the price would be if they ever did a tour with dave...itd be gross....but it won't happen.
          See, I just don't get this. I've played the new DLR-songs off BEST OF VOLUME 1 to just about everybody I know that listens to music, and almost always I've gotten the "this is really good" response...and from people that have no need to pull my yank. How could you hear ME WISE MAGIC and not say to yourself, "This is great Van Halen"?

If you actually think the three shitty songs, horribly recorded, off the new CD set in any way compete with the riff-fests off of BEST OF, VOLUME 1, then I have to severely question your musical taste. Listen to Ed's solo alone in ME WISE MAGIC...listen to Alex's incredible drums...listen to the majestic backing vocals when the chorus kicks in (still one of the best choruses I've ever heard), and Dave is packed with attitude on this sucker. Just an amazing song. What a guitar intro. What a guitar outro. I love the high notes Ed is reaching as it fades out.

What the fuck it IT'S ABOUT TIME? What the fuck is UP FOR BREAKFAST (still the worst lyrics this cheese-moron has ever written)? What the fuck is LEARNING TO CRAP? These are all generic, second-rate Journey material. There is not a hook on either of these songs...maybe IT'S ABOUT TIME is slightly better than the other two, and that's not saying much. I've done the ME WISE MAGIC/IT'S ABOUT TIME blind taste-test with a few friends now...and I always get the same response: "The first one you played me is really good, but I can't stand the second one. It's all masturbation."

What songs are YOU hearing?
          Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• EmpyreLounge44
            Foot Soldier
            • Jun 2004

Re: Re: Re: The Band Is Back In Hiding After This...

MWM is the best out of the new songs but none of them are very good...since Im not including Humans Beings which I think is the last good VH song. I just don't really like the song. Its got old VH written all over it so I understand why everyone gushes over it, it just never caught on with me as a good song or one that I listen to.

Cant Get This Stuff just pains me to listen to...especially the end before the extended outro guitar and cowbell. DLR hurts to listen to here, am I wrong? Not a strong vocal at the end at all

I agree with everything you wrote about the new songs Rikk...they are crap with no hook to them which is why they had no chance at radio. It's Aout Time had the strongest hook and even that is weak as all hell. I was interviewing Matt Nathanson (singer/songwriter who is definitly worth checking out on Universal) shortly after the new songs came out and we were talking about VH since he has met Roth once or twice. And he got all excited and I had just gotten my promo disc in so i played him the new songs off of my Ipod and he liked Ed's solo in IAT but thats about it and we bullshitted for a bit about just how much garbage it was
            Last edited by EmpyreLounge44; 08-13-2004, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

CGTSNM I gave about a 4 of a possible 5 when I heard it. MWM was the best song Van Halen had written since 1983.
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Band Is Back In Hiding After This...

Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
                MWM is the best out of the new songs but none of them are very good...since Im not including Humans Beings which I think is the last good VH song. I just don't really like the song. Its got old VH written all over it so I understand why everyone gushes over it, it just never caught on with me as a good song or one that I listen to.

I agree with everything you wrote about the new songs Rikk...they are crap with no hook to them which is why they had no chance at radio. It's Aout Time had the strongest hook and even that is weak as all hell. I was interviewing Matt Nathanson (singer/songwriter who is definitly worth checking out on Universal) shortly after the new songs came out and we were talking about VH since he has met Roth once or twice. And he got all excited and I had just gotten my promo disc in so i played him the new songs off of my Ipod and he liked Ed's solo in IAT but thats about it and we bullshitted for a bit about just how much garbage it was
                Yup. The new songs are pure crap. Again, there's a slight form of hook on the IT'S ABOUT TIME chorus (I write songs...I'm not saying I'm a genius, but I can recognize hooks)...but it's not a great hook. Sometimes there are by-the-numbers hooks...hooks that are so predictable they actually suck. This is one of them...lots of Van Hagar material has transparent hooks: AMSTERDAM's chorus, RUNAROUND's chorus, the chorus on THE DREAM IS OVER. Once in a while, that band wrote a real hook (the chorus on HUMANS BEING)...but usually, they wrote predictable crap. IT'S ABOUT TIME sucks, and it's got the only form of hook on all three songs. I can't hear ANYTHING but droning on UP FOR BREAKFAST or LEARNING TO SEE...not that I spend any time listening to that shit. It's hard to say which one is worse. It's like having really bad heartburn and a headache at the same time...which one actually bothers you more? God only knows. Both are very unpleasant experiences. Even I was surprised at how bad the new material was. It proves what I was already thinking though: the order of singers from best to worst is Dave, Gary, Sammy. Sammy is the least-talented and unique of the bunch (not that Gary is any good).
                Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

If there isn't going to be any reconciliation and TOUR with DAVID LEE ROTH, I would MUCH prefer that these ASS-PIPES go BACK into hiding.
                  Without DAVE, I no longer want ot look at the Crypt Keeper, Shemp, and the Elias Brothers Big Boy up on satge EVER again without DAVE!!!!
                  FUCK VAN HAGAR!!!!!!

Comment

• EmpyreLounge44
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jun 2004

surprised you put gary above sammy...well not really but a little bit. i would as well but not in a VH standpoint as VH was not a good fit for gary. i would have loved to hear another record with gary at the helm, i like the guys voice and though i dont agree with his political beliefs, i like that he is "deeper" than most of the VH catalog.

i like "Dream is Over"

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2004

Very nicely said

Comment

• JCOOK

BBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH HH!

Comment

• Figs
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

Great post Rikk.

They won't get another arena tour without co-headlining with someone. I don't see any albums anytime soon, maybe never.

Comment

• Thetruthbaby
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jun 2004

MY 2 CENTS

Well this tour and album have certainly NOT lived up to the expectations in the VHagar camp that is for sure. It wouldn't surprise me though if they record a new album and try to tour again. Remember--they are idiots. The fact that Eddie thinks that 5150 & 0U812 are great albums and Hagar predicted "rapid fire sellouts" for this tour prove that. So don't be surprised if they don't announce the writing of what they'll probably call "the ultimate VH album ever" or some other stupid description. In terms of the industry promoters will most surely remember what happened on this tour if they try and book another. I think it's 50/50 on whether or not they'll do a new album with hagar or just break up after this year. There could be more of this (vhagar) though. Like I said...they are stupid.
                            DLR/VH IS JUST BETTER

Comment

• Warham
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Humans Being is the worst song on the BOV1...well, actually Can't Stop Lovin' You is close, but HB has that god damned double tracked vocal. If you can't stand Hagar's voice on one track, this one's got two for good measure.

Me Wise Magic is classic.

Comment

Working...