X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Lumbergh
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Two Van Halen marathons this week

A local rock radio sation had two Van Halen a to z style marathons last week, to coincide with the two Bay Area Van Hagar shows. When in the car I listened to some of it, as they had lots of Dave quotes..........and it was cool hearing shit like Romeo Delight and Big Bad Bill on the radio. I have a couple of points to make in this thread(believe it or not).........First, of all it was kinda lame how the DJ's never mentioned Dave's name when introducing a song. It was always Ed and Al.........but when a Van Hagar track came on it was all about "Sammy and the boys". I understand it a bit(because Van Hagar is touring), but I'm just sick of the disrespect to Dave. Secondly, I hadnt heard most of the Van Hagar catalog in years, and I turned the station the second one came on.............However what I did hear was atrocious. I had forgotten how bad some of this drivel was..........Not Enough...........Feels So Good.........Mine All Mine..........how can anyone listen to Van Halen rip through a couple of high energy , heavy songs, then listen to pussy whipped love songs and compare the two?! Fascinating.
  • Bill Lumbergh
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

On a positive note, the second day had tons of Dave sound bites that were funny as hell(though I'd heard them all). I remember one Sam sound bite where he talked about how it was "magic" when he and the brothers got together to make music. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH AHAH

Comment

• Figs
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

It's common to hear stations go into Hagar mode when there is a tour coming into town. There's also a good chance the station you were listening too could be owned by Clear Channel, so of course they will promote "Sammy and the boys," exuse me while I puke.

A VH marathon would be bittersweet. I'm not sure if I could deal with shutting the radio on and off all the time.

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

When the Van Hagar tour comes around, the DJ's have to go down into the basement and dig through the box labeled '80's crap'. Van Hagar's singles are nestled in with the Flock of Seagulls' 'I Ran' , Starship's 'We Built This City', and Loverboy's 'Workin' For The Weekend'.

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Yeah, the marathon was on when I picked my sons and daughter up after work. My oldest son hate's what he calls "girl stuff".........no bullshit one of the Van Hagar ballads had him telling me to change the station. I was laughing my ass off. Too bad their mom likes "some of the Sammy stuff". She's a big "Right Now" fan, though she's smart enough not to own any Van Hagar shit

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by Warham
            When the Van Hagar tour comes around, the DJ's have to go down into the basement and dig through the box labeled '80's crap'. Van Hagar's singles are nestled in with the Flock of Seagulls' 'I Ran' , Starship's 'We Built This City', and Loverboy's 'Workin' For The Weekend'.

Hey you forgot Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon"!

Comment

• Figs
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

Cool son!

I think a lot of the "fans of both eras" are women.

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

I also forgot that classic Billy Squier song 'Stroke'. Sam loves that song.

Comment

• mikethemartian
                  Groupie
                  • Jun 2004

Re: Two Van Halen marathons this week

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
                  First, of all it was kinda lame how the DJ's never mentioned Dave's name when introducing a song. It was always Ed and Al.........but when a Van Hagar track came on it was all about "Sammy and the boys". I understand it a bit(because Van Hagar is touring), but I'm just sick of the disrespect to Dave.

With all the "Dave Who?" shit that spewed from Eddie's mouth starting in 1986, I'm amazed he didn't go back and re-record (and butcher) the first six albums with Hagar. He seemed so hell bent on the Trotsky-fication of Dave.

Comment

Working...