X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • classicdude
    Foot Soldier
    • Apr 2004

Ask Your Neighbor.

How about a thread to draw on the collective expertise/experience of the Army members?

Here's my question to the masses: I've been on a Pink Floyd kick lately and saw "Animals" at the used cd store. Anybody have it or recommend it?? Thanks for any input!
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I`ve got it.

I really like it although it isn`t as highly regarded as "Dark side...", "Wish you were here" or "The Wall" by whoever rates these albums.

In many ways it is the missing link between "Wish.." and "The Wall".

It feature three long songs ("Dogs", "Pigs" and "Sheep") and two short acoustic pieces at the start and the end ("Pigs on the wing" parts 1+2).

It has a concept loosley based on George Orwell`s book "Animal farm" and each song relates to different groups.

"Dogs" is about super-achievers; people who will do anything to make it,even at the expence of their friends, "Pigs" is about self-righteous people; those who try their best to impose their opinions, however wrong they are, on others, and "Sheep", which is about those who are bullied and beaten by the "Dogs" and "Pigs".

Overall the album is pretty bleak and is perhaps the first time Roger Water`s lyrics overpower the music.

There is little of the dreamy musical passages of "Dark side of the moon" or "Wish you were here", instead the band create harsh soundscapes which fit the music and the end result is probably the Floyd`s "rockiest" album.

The power chord outro to "sheep" is worth buying it for itself.

This has really put me in the mood for a listen tonight!
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• classicdude
      Foot Soldier
      • Apr 2004

Hey, thanks for the review! Maybe I'll try and pick it up this weekend. I'd sooner believe the review of someone on this board than on amazon.com.

Comment

• YankeeRose

Speaking from a musicians point of view...nothing kills a party faster than playing Pink Floyd....runner up is most Led Zep songs, with a few exceptions that prove the rule.

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

And tell me if I'm wrong, but don't most teenagers that smoke pot invariably have Steve Miller's greatest hits in their collection?

It's a past experience with me.

Comment

• Coyote
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by YankeeRose
            Speaking from a musicians point of view...nothing kills a party faster than playing Pink Floyd....runner up is most Led Zep songs, with a few exceptions that prove the rule.
            Depends on the party, I guess...
            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

animals is a way cool c.d.
              if you have a pet, the barking sounds during 'dogs'
              will freak it out!

Comment

Working...