X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnburrows
    Roadie
    • Aug 2004

DLR gets paid for Van Hagar Tour

Van Halen and back-again lead singer Sammy Hagar are selling thousands of tickets for their summer tour, and that means big-time cash for… former lead singer David Lee Roth? That's right, because as 'CJ' reveals, top musicians don't have to play onstage to get well paid. It's all about doing the rights thing, and as the summer concert season heats up, so are the rights fights.

As entertainment attorney Barry Littman explains, Roth gets paid even though he's not touring with Van Halen because, legally, he is a composer of all of Van Halen's early original work. "If you have an immensely successful concert that's focused on David Lee Roth-Van Halen tunes, he's going to see more money than if Van Halen never went on tour," Littman notes. "The composers of the song are listed and each of them will have the right to get paid for anybody else performing their song live."

Summer Concerts: Playing and Paying
    June 30, 2004
    Van Halen and back-again lead singer Sammy Hagar are selling thousands of tickets for their summer tour, and that means big-time cash for… former lead singer David Lee Roth? That's right, because as "CJ" reveals, top musicians don't have to play onstage to get well paid. It's all about doing the rights thing, and as the summer concert season heats up, so are the rights fights.

As entertainment attorney Barry Littman explains, Roth gets paid even though he's not touring with Van Halen because, legally, he is a composer of all of Van Halen's early original work.

"If you have an immensely successful concert that's focused on David Lee Roth-Van Halen tunes, he's going to see more money than if Van Halen never went on tour," Littman notes. "The composers of the song are listed and each of them will have the right to get paid for anybody else performing their song live."

"That way, there's no confusion, no dispute over who owns the songs. They can all perform them, they all get the royalties and they all get the money."
  • distortion9
    Sniper
    • Mar 2004

Kid's a farkin whale.

...I'm just sayin
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...sternsucks.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80...9e45f7d735.jpg

Your mom's box!

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Well, sadly and not surprisingly, there's like next to no Roth material on this tour. What, you get 4 or 5 songs, maybe? I haven't paid much attention to the setlist lately, but at least David's getting some kickback.
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Figs
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

This was posted here a while back, I think it's shite. Bands play other people's songs all the time.

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Well, if that's a legit Celebrity Justice thing, aren't they pretty much on the ball about this kind of thing? They usually seem to know their shit pretty well.
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Figs
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

True, but it makes no sense to me. Does McCartney have to pay Lennon (or his estate) everytime he plays a Lennon-McCartney song? Who monitors how many times songs are played?

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Figs
              This was posted here a while back, I think it's shite. Bands play other people's songs all the time.
              ...and have to pay for it...it's a fact. I play comedy versions of other people's songs and we have to pay for using them on stage.
              Roth Army Icon
              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Figs
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

No matter how old the song is? It must be damn hard to track, but I guess with lots of $$ involved someone does.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

if it's 75 years old it's free...or 75 years after the death of the composer ... not sure about that
                  Roth Army Icon

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Very interesting, indeed. Well, if all that's the case, I guess I can see why they don't play any more of the Roth material than what they do - all it seems to come down to, at the end of the day, is that they really don't want to pay David anything for his contributions over the years. Isn't that nice?
                    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Figs
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

Yes that is interesting. I guess it gives accountants something to do.

Comment

• Bob_R
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Figs
                        Exactly. It's a crock of shit. Dave doesn't get a penny from this tour. He gets paid for BOBW.
                        Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• tjvhou812
                          Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by johnburrows
                          Van Halen and back-again lead singer Sammy Hagar are selling thousands of tickets for their summer tour, and that means big-time cash for… former lead singer David Lee Roth? That's right, because as 'CJ' reveals, top musicians don't have to play onstage to get well paid. It's all about doing the rights thing, and as the summer concert season heats up, so are the rights fights.

As entertainment attorney Barry Littman explains, Roth gets paid even though he's not touring with Van Halen because, legally, he is a composer of all of Van Halen's early original work. "If you have an immensely successful concert that's focused on David Lee Roth-Van Halen tunes, he's going to see more money than if Van Halen never went on tour," Littman notes. "The composers of the song are listed and each of them will have the right to get paid for anybody else performing their song live."

Summer Concerts: Playing and Paying
                          June 30, 2004
                          Van Halen and back-again lead singer Sammy Hagar are selling thousands of tickets for their summer tour, and that means big-time cash for… former lead singer David Lee Roth? That's right, because as "CJ" reveals, top musicians don't have to play onstage to get well paid. It's all about doing the rights thing, and as the summer concert season heats up, so are the rights fights.

As entertainment attorney Barry Littman explains, Roth gets paid even though he's not touring with Van Halen because, legally, he is a composer of all of Van Halen's early original work.

"If you have an immensely successful concert that's focused on David Lee Roth-Van Halen tunes, he's going to see more money than if Van Halen never went on tour," Littman notes. "The composers of the song are listed and each of them will have the right to get paid for anybody else performing their song live."

"That way, there's no confusion, no dispute over who owns the songs. They can all perform them, they all get the royalties and they all get the money."
                          that is 100% untrue
                          Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
                            Exactly. It's a crock of shit. Dave doesn't get a penny from this tour. He gets paid for BOBW.
                            the only crock of shit here is your knowlegde about music biz...
                            Roth Army Icon

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tjvhou812
                              that is 100% untrue
                              same quote as posted above...
                              Roth Army Icon

Comment

Working...