X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bueno bob
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Just Thinkin...

As we all know, anything can happen in Van Halen at any time for any (or no) good reason...so I was driving along in my car today, fantasizing about different Van Halen scenarios, and I came across this one...

Sam and Ed get into it while out on tour (this tour) over the same problems that surfaced back in 1995 (Sam's basically a solo artist singing lead for VH, Ed hates the lyrics, ad infinitum). Sam quits, thank God, but Mike, as a result, goes with his buddy also, figuring Sam needs a guy in his corner, and Mike wants to join the Waboweenies and just jam (or whatever). This leaves Ed and Al to basically fend for themselves, so they begin a process of restructuring Van Halen.

Let's say the first thing they look for is a new bassist, somebody really talented but who can add to the music and take it in a damn heavy direction...I don't know, how about John Alderete of Racer X...

John starts whispering in Ed's ear that a reunion with David could pull them into really big cash, sold out arenas, etc etc, making the recently failed Hagar reunion vanish in people's minds. Ed starts thinking "You know what? Alderete here is my musical soulmate! If he says it, it must be so!"

Ed goes to Alex with the idea. Alex, being the ever-lovable dick that he is, flat out refuses. Ed, however, has been on a BIG TIME drinking binge and decides that he's going to control HIS BAND once and for all, tells Al that David's coming back, like it or not.

A brotherly spat occurs - and ALEX QUITS. Just retires from the music biz period...too tired of injuries, dealing with shit, whatever. Of course, Ed and Al are still friends/brothers/bedmates/whatever, but Alex just decides he doesn't want to go in that direction and leaves, allowing Ed to do whatever he likes.

So now, in addition to needing David back, Ed needs a new drummer. Over the phone with Dave, Dave mentions to Ed "You know, my man, I know of this guy by the name of Ray Luzier..."

Van Halen 2005 to ??? becomes David Lee Roth, Edward Van Halen, John Alderete and Ray Luzier.

Now for the question:

How do you react to this? Do you love it because David and Eddie are together again? Do you love it even more because Alex and Mike are out of the picture? Or do you absolutely HATE it because it's only half of Van Halen...even if, for once, all four corners are in total agreement with each other and no problems? Should it be a Van Halen project, or should it be the Edward Van Halen/David Lee Roth band, like Plant and Page did?

All completely unrealistic, I know, but the idea just occured to me and I wondered what all of your reactions would be.

Myself, I think I'd buy it
    Twistin' by the pool.
  • DLR_EngineRoom
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
    As we all know, anything can happen in Van Halen at any time for any (or no) good reason...so I was driving along in my car today, fantasizing about different Van Halen scenarios, and I came across this one...

Sam and Ed get into it while out on tour (this tour) over the same problems that surfaced back in 1995 (Sam's basically a solo artist singing lead for VH, Ed hates the lyrics, ad infinitum). Sam quits, thank God, but Mike, as a result, goes with his buddy also, figuring Sam needs a guy in his corner, and Mike wants to join the Waboweenies and just jam (or whatever). This leaves Ed and Al to basically fend for themselves, so they begin a process of restructuring Van Halen.

Let's say the first thing they look for is a new bassist, somebody really talented but who can add to the music and take it in a damn heavy direction...I don't know, how about John Alderete of Racer X...

John starts whispering in Ed's ear that a reunion with David could pull them into really big cash, sold out arenas, etc etc, making the recently failed Hagar reunion vanish in people's minds. Ed starts thinking "You know what? Alderete here is my musical soulmate! If he says it, it must be so!"

Ed goes to Alex with the idea. Alex, being the ever-lovable dick that he is, flat out refuses. Ed, however, has been on a BIG TIME drinking binge and decides that he's going to control HIS BAND once and for all, tells Al that David's coming back, like it or not.

A brotherly spat occurs - and ALEX QUITS. Just retires from the music biz period...too tired of injuries, dealing with shit, whatever. Of course, Ed and Al are still friends/brothers/bedmates/whatever, but Alex just decides he doesn't want to go in that direction and leaves, allowing Ed to do whatever he likes.

So now, in addition to needing David back, Ed needs a new drummer. Over the phone with Dave, Dave mentions to Ed "You know, my man, I know of this guy by the name of Ray Luzier..."

Van Halen 2005 to ??? becomes David Lee Roth, Edward Van Halen, John Alderete and Ray Luzier.

Now for the question:

How do you react to this? Do you love it because David and Eddie are together again? Do you love it even more because Alex and Mike are out of the picture? Or do you absolutely HATE it because it's only half of Van Halen...even if, for once, all four corners are in total agreement with each other and no problems? Should it be a Van Halen project, or should it be the Edward Van Halen/David Lee Roth band, like Plant and Page did?

All completely unrealistic, I know, but the idea just occured to me and I wondered what all of your reactions would be.

Myself, I think I'd buy it
    I say that if that happened, the VH Bros. would either need Billy Sheehan or Ed's son Wolfie on bass.

There would still be a margin of disappointment because some would argue that it's not a 'real' reunion without the original 4, namely Mike Anthony.
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t.../EddieDave.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ve_ed_2007.jpg
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...os/TORCH_B.gif

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

HELL YES I'd buy it. Yes, more than anything, I want the original four. But still, Dave and Ed are the main ones here.

I have to say there's no way Ed would do anything Van Halen without Al. And that's why I can't picture the scenario. I think Al needs to give his drunkes, alimoney-debt blessing for this to happen. Furthermore, Al would protest...but he wants to get paid. So he'd be there.

Mike? Well, it wouldn't be the same without his back-up vocals. But so what? If I had a choice between Sam, Ed, Al and Mike or Dave, Ed, Al and some other bass player...well duh?
      Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
      Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

You do know drinking and driving is against the law don't you?

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

**BURP**

wawasat??

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Figs
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

One of the things I like about this site is that there's other crazies out there that thinks about this shit probably more than I do.

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

You know, all things given, I would be sort of disheartened about not having the original four...but to me, Van Halen was always the Dave and Eddie show anyway, and given the alternative of having Hagar ruining the mix, well, fuck it, I'd be happy to see something like this happen.

HEAR ME WELL - I am NOT suggesting something like this is what I think is gonna happen, at all, I'm just racking my brain for ways to save that once mighty band. Even if a delusion is the best I can come up with, lol...

In regards to all things Van Halen, my delusions are a lot more satisfying than the reality
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• distortion9
                Sniper
                • Mar 2004

I like this better.

Right in the middle of "Love Comes Walking In", Ed and Sam break out into a wild knife fight and kill each other dead. The 1300 "Halen Lite" fans that witness this break into hysterics and all kill each other. While running to Spammies aid, a horrified Mike Anthony trips and impales himself on his "Chili Pepper" bass and bleeds out all over the stage. Alex is laughing so hard he breaks his fucking neck for the last and final time.

....I'm just sayin
                http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...sternsucks.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80...9e45f7d735.jpg

Your mom's box!

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by distortion9
                  I like this better.

Right in the middle of "Love Comes Walking In", Ed and Sam break out into a wild knife fight and kill each other dead. The 1300 "Halen Lite" fans that witness this break into hysterics and all kill each other. While running to Spammies aid, a horrified Mike Anthony trips and impales himself on his "Chili Pepper" bass and bleeds out all over the stage. Alex is laughing so hard he breaks his fucking neck for the last and final time.

....I'm just sayin
                  I like that scenario, too! LMAO
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Figs
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jun 2004

Good one distortion9!!!

Hell, I'd be more receptive to a "solo" Eddie tour with other musicians than this shit going on now. So I'd be all over Dave & Ed and whoever can do the job, even though I'd miss Mike's backups.

Comment

• lms2

If classic Van Halen were to reunite, it would be a good thing...but no, I would not be happy without Al or Mike. It would not be Classic Van Halen.

Comment

Working...