X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Gotta Get Back In Time

I just thought I'd let you newbies to DLR see what the Dave's official message board looked like April 7, 2001. Courtesy of internet archives...

Slawterhouse Message Board
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Another trip through memory lane...

"We're Just Sitting Around Waiting To See What Happens"

July 20, 2001 - ...That's what Eddie Van Halen told MTV News on Tuesday while walking down the red carpet at the premiere of the latest Julia Roberts movie, America's Sweethearts.

Arriving at the premiere with his wife, actress Valerie Bertinelli, Eddie was approached for comment about the status of the band that bears his name.

Eddie has been gradually easing himself back into public life with appearances at the LAPD Charity Golf Tournament in May and the premiere of America's Sweethearts this week. He also spoke candidly in the August 2001 edition of Maximum Golf, an interview that was quoted heavily in reports by major news outlets such as Reuters and Associated Press earlier this week.

MTV news asked Eddie about Van Halen's future with former frontman, David Lee Roth.

EVH: "I have no idea - I swear I really don't know. I don't know what goes on in other people's realities, and I don't try to figure it out. He knows where I live. It's outta my hands."

When asked about his health, Eddie said he was "feeling great" and joked "how do I look?"

Eddie said he, brother Alex and Michael Anthony are continuing to work on new material every day, but wouldn't say when fans would hear any of it....

"We have enough material for a couple, three." (ie three albums)
    "We're just sitting around waiting to see what happens."

Let's not kid ourselves here - Dave knows where Eddie lives, and vice versa. If you believe the stories, they haven't worked together since July or spoken since September.

While three of the four original members of Van Halen are sitting around "waiting to see what happens", the fourth, David Lee Roth, continues to play to rave reviews across America.

In the interview printed in Maximum Golf magazine, Eddie said lawyers were the reason the band had not reunited with Dave. Roth has not spoken publicly about working with Van Halen in 2000 since his statement on April 19 of this year.

From their public statements over the past few months, it's clear that both Dave and Eddie want the reunion to go ahead. Nothing is happening right now because Dave is on tour, but many are saying the reason he reformed the DLR Band and went on tour was because he was tired of waiting for Van Halen to get their act together.

Not being the type to sit around and wait for things to happen, Dave is keeping his body and voice in shape by playing 20 Van Halen songs a night to his loyal fans. I've heard bootlegs of the June 23 and July 3 shows (don't ask how), and can vouch for those who say that Dave is singing better than ever!

Dave has gigs booked until September 2, with more promised. Hopefully he will give his side of the story soon.

[Return to Current Headlines]

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

October 26, 1996 - The December 1996 edition of Guitar World magazine features an exclusive interview with Edward Van Halen.

Here are a few quick snippets from the interview:

"We're from different planets; we don't communicate," says Eddie of Roth. "We just don't see things the same way. I'm not saying that he's a bad person at all - I actually fuckin' love the guy. But I don't need that kind of negative energy around me. I don't know how to explain it, but Dave kinda sucks the life out of me."

So instead of the life-sucking David Lee Roth making a dramatic reentry into the Van Halen fray, a dark horse candidate emerged and was handed one rock's plum jobs outright. It is none other than the "More Than Words" man, Gary Cherone, Nuno Bettencourt's partner in Extreme, Cherone, known for his acrobatic stage antics and extraordinary vocal range, impressed Eddie with his quiet manner: "He's like a brother. He's shy, he's a quiet guy and has no fuckin' attitude. He's just a beautiful human being. Plus, the guy sings and sounds like an angel."

Comment

• Warham
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

September 27, 1999 - David Lee Roth has just informed The Inside that he is very pleased to have Ted Templeman as the producer for his next CD.

Dave is keeping his current band and road crew for the next album and tour, both out in early 2000. John Lowery will return as the main songwriting collaborator, although Bart Walsh and Terry Kilgore may also contribute to songwriting. Walsh and Kilgore are expected to handle all guitar duties.

Twelve songs have been written so far. Working titles include Stomping Grounds, Use My Hand, I Won't Look and China Town. There will also be a surprise cover song on the new album, which is yet to be titled.

The DLR Band will head back into the studio one week after the current tour finishes (the last date is at the House of Blues in Las Vegas on October 2.)

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Dweezil Spills The Beans

November 23, 2000 - Dweezil Zappa, son of the late Frank Zappa and extraordinary guitarist in his own right, has joined the growing list of musicians who are openly speaking about the still-unofficial reunion between David Lee Roth and Van Halen.

Dweezil dropped by the KNAC.COM studios on Tuesday November 21 for a chat with Managing Editor, Frank Meyer. After pursuading Zappa into playing a few Van Halen riffs on his guitar, the conversation turned to the impending Van Halen reunion with original frontman, David Lee Roth.

According to this report at KNAC.COM, Dweezil confirmed there would be a new Van Halen album with David Lee Roth on vocals. He didn't come out and say it outright, but when quizzed if he was "informed", Zappa "gave a wink and a knowing glance, as if to say 'yes'". Automatic, Dweezil's latest album, was released on Steve Vai's Favored Nations label on November 21. Click here to purchase it from Amazon.com

KNAC planned to interview photographer Neil Zlozower last night. "Zloz" is well-known for his exceptional photographic work with many major rock artists, including Van Halen. Lonn Friend planned on playing the Zappa interview to Zloz on the air to get his thoughts on the VH reunion. Check KNAC's web site for a possible update on this tomorrow.

In other news, the most recent edition of industry newspaper Radio & Records previewed the first quarter album releases for 2001. According to R&R, Warner Bros. have a new Van Halen album set for a Q1 release. If that's the plan, the year-long "no news is good news" policy should expire very soon!

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Van Halen and Dave have certainly had their fair share of rumors over the last six years as you can see by these articles.

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Is it just me or does the whole thing seem strangely....unfinished....

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Northern Girl
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                I just thought I'd let you newbies to DLR see what the Dave's official message board looked like April 7, 2001. Courtesy of internet archives...

Slawterhouse Message Board
                I remember it well. Spent a lot of time there and I really miss it. No offense to the army, but everyone was so nice there; no negativity; just chillin' and talking about Dave.
                Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                  I remember it well. Spent a lot of time there and I really miss it. No offense to the army, but everyone was so nice there; no negativity; just chillin' and talking about Dave.
                  What??! We're not fuckin' nice? Watch your step!!

Comment

• lms2

People are nice here too. You just have to read selectively and respond carefully.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by lms2
                      People are nice here too. You just have to read selectively and respond carefully.
                      Shaddup bitch.

Comment

• rustoffa
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Memory lane...

Remember the clip of Dave reading the excerpt from his book on there?

Shit, I can't even remember my user name.

Comment

Working...