X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly
    Groupie
    • Jan 2004

NZ prefers Roth to Hagar!

This is a review from our main newspaper the NZ Herald. Graham Reid, the reviewer is a pretty respected rock critic (if there is such a thing!)

Rock band famed for its guitarist but famous for its singers gets out the photo-album, then shuffles the pictures for no good reason. Silly duffers.

Is David Lee Roth the smartest man in leopard-skin lycra? Years ago when he did some big band stuff he was asked about the charts, as in charts on music stands. His reply, "The only thing I know about charts is if I'm not in them I don't get paid."

With the metal monster that was Van Halen, the singer was very well paid indeed. Time, distance and this double-disc collection will determine whether you think he deserved to be. With the flamboyant Roth up front and Eddie Van Halen's exceptional guitar technique, the band became darlings of the FM, then MTV era and cracked classic hair-metal singles. They even managed to survive the transition when Roth quit and Sammy Hagar replaced him (and then, later, Gary Cherone came in).

Van Halen's career has the makings of a great collection but this irritatingly non-chronological affair - without even a courtesy photo of the great Roth - limps to life with three pretty awful new tracks (with Hagar again) and clearly isn't it. The new stuff is either stupidly alacious (Up for Breafast is about bananas and cherries) or tries to disinter Guns n Roses (the power ballad Learning to See). Only when Roth takes charge on classics like their blistering version of You Really Got Me, Hot for Teacher, Jump, Unchained, Panama and so on - or when Hagar weighs in for a couple of memorable songs. The synth years with Hagar were a mistake, however. It all went a bit Flashdance really.

This isn't the first time they have blown the chance for a coherent "best of"... and to go out with live versions of Roth Years songs by Hagar? You're taking bad advice from someone, Eddie.
  • Halen High
    Commando
    • Jul 2004

Thanks Kelly!

I think the writer perfectly summed up the way most Van Halen fans feel about this farce.

Comment

• Dan
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Good to have more kiwi David Lee Roth Fans at The Army.
      The feeling in strong among us down here in N.Z about Van Halen and There is only ONE lead singer in Van Halen and That is David Lee Roth.
      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• secrets
        Foot Soldier
        • Apr 2004

Thanks Kelly. Great review. Hope Eddie reads it arrogant SOB.
        Achtung Baby I say, I say...

Comment

Working...