PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams talks to Fins??

redblkwht
08-26-2004, 01:22 AM
Report: Williams considering return to Dolphins

August 25, 2004
MIAMI (Ticker) - According to a report out of South Florida, Ricky Williams has made overtures to Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt about returning to the team.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday that Williams, who stunned the football community with the announcement of his retirement in late July, has contacted his former coach.

The 27-year-old Williams has filed his retirement papers with the league but reportedly is considering a comeback if the team meets certain conditions - including the renegotiation of his current contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

The newspaper cites several NFL sources in its report.

Williams likely would have to miss the 2004 season, unless he appealed - and was successful in overturning - a penalty for three positive tests for marijuana. The filing of his retirement papers served as a fourth failed test - an infraction that carries a mandatory year suspension.

Williams, who is just two seasons removed from winning the NFL rushing title, quit the game abruptly in pursuit of happiness off the field.

"I just don't want to be in this business anymore," Williams said at the time. "I was never strong enough to not play football, but I'm strong enough now. I've considered everything about this. Everyone has thrown every possible scenario at me about why I shouldn't do this, but they're in denial. I'm happy with my decision."

Known for his interesting and complex nature off the field and for his dreadlocks on it, Williams has rushed for 6,354 yards in five seasons since being picked fifth overall by the New Orleans Saints in 1999. The Saints traded eight picks to the Washington Redskins for the right to select the former Heisman Trophy winner.

In 1999, Williams' professional career also started in odd fashion when his eight-year contract was negotiated by rapper Master P's agency. The deal contained large incentives but low base salaries, including just $350,000 as a rookie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pojo you called it..lol

Sarge
08-26-2004, 11:09 AM
the dude has to ome back or he is going to owe 6 mil to the fins.
The guy is a retard

He would rather smoke dope than be in the NFL..

POJO_Risin
08-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Ricky Williams being a retard is old news Sarge...this guy is one hell of a piece of shit...

rustoffa
08-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Now he's going to India or some shit.....did y'all see that bit about
him giving the fins a "courtesy call" about the cash?

story here (http://www.detnews.com/2004/lions/0408/27/lions-256067.htm)

Friday, August 27, 2004

Ricky Williams headed to India

By Steven Wine / Associated Press

DAVIE, Fla. -- Ricky Williams phoned the Miami Dolphins this week, but said his next destination will be India, not a return to the NFL.

The retired running back contacted coach Dave Wannstedt several days ago, sources close to the coach said Thursday. But Williams told The Miami Herald he has no plans to come back anytime soon.

His conversation with Wannstedt was their first since Williams called the week before training camp with the stunning news he was retiring.

Prompting the latest call was a letter the Dolphins sent Williams last week seeking to recoup $8.6 million in bonuses paid to him.

“I didn’t call them to see if I could come back. I was just causing a conversation to happen,” Williams told the Herald from Australia. “They sent me the letter and (my agent) told me it’s in my best interests to call them.”

Even if the 27-year-old Williams wanted to return, he faces a suspension for the entire 2004 season for violating the NFL drug policy. He has acknowledged testing positive for marijuana three times.

Williams may have been seeking a way to avoid repaying any money, but an NFL source insisting on anonymity said the Dolphins are taking a hard line with Williams. Players and team officials gave no indication they’re eager for the 2002 NFL rushing champion to return, even though Miami totaled five first downs and no points in its most recent exhibition game.

His latest reasons for retiring, including a workload he considered excessive, annoyed ex-teammates.

“He’s acting like a bitter girlfriend,” defensive tackle Larry Chester said. “He’s just lashing out. I don’t think anyone should pay attention to him.

“He owes a lot of people an apology -- not just the fans, but the players in this locker room. A lot of guys were with him all offseason. We figured he was going to war for us. To back out without any explanation is messed up.”

Williams said he plans to travel to India soon for a “couple of months.”

“It’s not in my best interests to play football right now,” he said.

Williams’ agent, Leigh Steinberg, didn’t return calls seeking comment. Wannstedt and Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman declined to discuss the latest development in the Williams saga.

“I’m only going to comment on guys who are here practicing,” Wannstedt said.

Williams admitted he was unhappy with his contract and new offensive coordinator Chris Foerster. And he said the Dolphins relied on him too heavily the past two seasons, when he carried 775 times.

“I don’t really know what to think about that,” offensive lineman Seth McKinney said. “Speaking as offensive linemen, we go out there and block. If we run the ball 100 times, we’re out there blocking 100 times. Maybe we’re overused. That’s the way it goes. That’s the game of football. I don’t know what he’s talking about, really.”

McKinney and other players said they still expect to be without Williams this season, despite his phone call to Wannstedt.

“I don’t think many people are paying attention to it,” fullback Rob Konrad said. “I think it’s more of a positioning thing by him. He’s in -- where is it, Australia or Austria? I would doubt he’s going to be back here anytime soon.”

POJO_Risin
08-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Look...let's bottom line this for everyone...and read between the lines...

Ricky Williams got busted for drugs 3 times...

Ricky Williams said he was going to retire so that he wouldn't get suspended...thinking he could come back...which is why he waited until 7 days before camp...

Ricky Williams didn't know if you filed retirement papers while avoiding a drug suspension...and tried to come back within a year...you get suspended for a year...

Ricky called up the boys in Dolphville and said, "I'll come back..."

His agent said...you can't...

Ricky goes away...

Fuck Ricky...

he's an idiot...

he'll be back...and be good...

but he's a fucking idiot...

Nobody as fucking clueless as this guy should get a goddamned free ride to ANY fucking university...