Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR'sCock
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Thanks To Geroge W. Bush a Woman Loses Brother and Fiancee a Day Apart in Iraq

War Exacts High Personal Toll
    as Marine Suffers Double Loss
    By Hal Bernton
    Seattle Times

Thursday 26 August 2004

The most difficult miles of Rosanna Powers' life are bringing her from Florida to the small Washington state farming community of Mansfield, Douglas County, for her brother's funeral tomorrow. Then she will fly back across the country to help bury her fiancé the next day.

Both were U.S. Marines killed last week - one day apart - in Iraq.

The double dose of tragedy struck a 22-year-old woman keenly aware of the risks of Marine life. She's a Marine corporal herself, now in the United States in her final days of service. That shared sense of service gave her some comfort while her loved ones were deployed in Iraq but has not made it any easier to cope with their deaths.

"Before, I kind of knew some of what they were going through," Powers said. "This is different. This is so personal."

Powers' brother, 21-year-old Lance Cpl. Caleb Powers, was the first to die. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division out of Camp Pendleton, Calif., and was shot Aug. 17 as he stood guard at his unit's compound in Al Anbar province in western Iraq, family members said.

Rosanna Powers got the news that day. Then two days later, she learned that her fiancé, Sgt. Richard Lord, 24, of Florida, also had been killed in action. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division based out of Camp LeJeune, N.C. He died Aug. 18 from injuries sustained while he, too, was in Al Anbar province.

The Marines who rotated back into Iraq earlier this year often have been on the front lines of fighting, and some of their units have sustained some of the U.S. forces' highest casualty rates. Those casualties include seven Marines from Washington state who have died since late May.

Caleb Powers and Lord lost their lives in the province that includes the towns of Fallujah, Ramadi and other insurgent strongholds. Though both rotated in and out of hot spots, the two men never got a chance to meet. Lord earlier this month tried unsuccessfully to arrange a get-together, Rosanna Powers said.

Both men died at a time when they had started to plan for life beyond Marine service and the war in Iraq. Caleb Powers had less than a month to go before he was scheduled to leave Iraq, and had his mind set on later leaving the service to turn to a life of wheat farming in Mansfield.

Lord was planning to marry Rosanna Powers. And, in recent months, he had decided to leave the Marines when his service ended in 2006 and return to his native Florida to help raise the 10-month-old son they had together.

Rosanna Powers has been based out of Cherry Point, N.C., in a communications wing. She met Lord while they were both stationed stateside. Then, in February 2003, after she was deployed to Kuwait, she discovered she was pregnant and returned to the U.S. Meanwhile, Lord served a first tour of duty in Iraq and then on June 22 returned for a second tour of duty.

"He was like my brother - a real gung-ho Marine - but he was going to give it up, buy some property and settle down," she said in a telephone interview yesterday from Florida. "He would call me up and say, 'I love you.' We had so many plans."

Today, Powers begins her cross-country marathon to say her goodbyes. She is scheduled to fly to Seattle, then drive east to Mansfield to attend a 1 p.m. funeral service tomorrow for her brother.

Caleb Powers loved the Mansfield area, moving there when he was about 12 years old to live with his aunt and uncle after difficult years in Oregon and Virginia. He received help from Childhelp USA, an organization that aids troubled youth, and enjoyed a taste of celebrity as he appeared at a 2002 fund-raiser for the group, where family members said singer Lee Greenwood performed "God Bless the USA" in his honor.

But he wanted to return to small-town life in Mansfield, with a population of about 320.

"Every letter that I got from him was about coming home," said his aunt, Jackie Tupling. "He wanted to know how he would go about getting loans to get a farm and even had a farm in mind he was going to buy."

As a teen, Rosanna Powers didn't make the move to Washington. She stayed in Virginia but kept in close touch with her brother, and she says her own enlistment might have added a bit of extra incentive for Caleb's enlistment.

As a fellow Marine, he would tease her and call her only by her last name. When she would protest, he would snap back - "Semper Fi, Powers, Semper Fi," using the Marine Corps motto that means "always faithful."

His casket is being brought back to Mansfield for tomorrow's funeral. His body will then be cremated. There will be a cemetery marker in Mansfield as well as a separate burial in Arlington National Cemetery in northern Virginia, Tupling said.

After the Mansfield service, Powers will drive back to Seattle and hop a red-eye flight to Florida in time for a 2 p.m. Saturday funeral for Lord. It will be held in Trenton, a small town west of Gainesville.

Powers wants people to remember not just the battlefield deaths but the lives that preceded them.

"First to lose my brother, then Rich, this hurts so bad. But this is happening to more than just me."

-------

Jump to TO Features for Friday August 27, 2004
  • Phil theStalker
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: Thanks To Geroge W. Bush a Woman Loses Brother and Fiancee a Day Apart in Iraq

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...aqtoll26m.html

And only yesterday a father torched a military van and burned himself alive when the new JACKBOOTS showed up to tell him his son was killed this Tuesday in Iraq.

Next time dad(s) may shoot

Wait until the whole country does that to them.

It's coming.

Not long.. not long.

P
    Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Phil theStalker
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL

THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL
      Add to Ignore list

Comment

• BigBadBrian
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

I'll bet Bush made them enlist.
        “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• TLR
          Head Fluffer
          • Jun 2004

BigBadBrian...

Thank you...you just beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest that it must have been Bush who enlisted them. I'm sure they didn't do it of their own free volition. I am sure they weren't aware of the inherent risks they might someday face if called to arms...

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Thanks To Geroge W. Bush a Woman Loses Brother and Fiancee a Day Apart in Iraq
            Boo fuckin' hoo!

:cryingpussy:

Comment

• Big Train
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Look my heart goes out to their families, but to blame Bush is to oversimplify the issue. This could happen at any time in any conflict.

If you disagree with the war, thats one thing, but don't use a personal time of loss for these families to make your political point.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Re: Thanks To Geroge W. Bush a Woman Loses Brother and Fiancee a Day Apart in Iraq

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
                The double dose of tragedy struck a 22-year-old woman keenly aware of the risks of Marine life. She's a Marine corporal herself
                You guys act as if this happens to the families unexpected. They know the risks and it's on the minds of people who have family who are enlisted.

I'm sadden for her loss and I pray God helps give her and her family all the strength and all the help she'll need to take care of her son.

I also suppose that the deaths by accident, which are a good chunk of why people die in conflict and I don't mean friendly fire, are also the fault of Bush. If he didn't send them over there, they wouldn't have looked away at the wrong time and get crushed by the huge tank they were unloading.
                Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                  I'll bet Bush made them enlist.
                  No.

But they, a volunteer, do ask to be lead wisely.

P
                  Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by TLR
                    BigBadBrian...

Thank you...you just beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest that it must have been Bush who enlisted them. I'm sure they didn't do it of their own free volition. I am sure they weren't aware of the inherent risks they might someday face if called to arms...
                    Same answer to you, knuckhead.

"Lead wisely."

P
                    Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                      Look my heart goes out to their families, but to blame Bush is to oversimplify the issue. This could happen at any time in any conflict.

If you disagree with the war, thats one thing, but don't use a personal time of loss for these families to make your political point.
                      Oh yeh, another one.

I'm speaking up so that the next "dad" doesn't have to burn himself to make that same point.

Never question the "honor" of a soldier or President or whatever and whoever my "boss" is.. killing Jews, and so on.

Don't think. Don't speak.

"I vas just vollowing oders. I vas just vollowing oders."

Yeh, we've heard it all before.

You haven't and so you'll learn the hard way from people who know history.

It's later than you think.

P
                      Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Big Train
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

OK phil, thanks for weighing in.

We've got plenty of time...

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: Re: Thanks To Geroge W. Bush a Woman Loses Brother and Fiancee a Day Apart in Iraq

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                          You guys act as if this happens to the families unexpected. They know the risks and it's on the minds of people who have family who are enlisted.

I'm sadden for her loss and I pray God helps give her and her family all the strength and all the help she'll need to take care of her son.

I also suppose that the deaths by accident, which are a good chunk of why people die in conflict and I don't mean friendly fire, are also the fault of Bush. If he didn't send them over there, they wouldn't have looked away at the wrong time and get crushed by the huge tank they were unloading.
                          Yes, Ally_Kat. They are the fault of Bush.

Bush wanted to be the head of the whole Reichs Republican machine. He knew the risks of being the focal point for the blame of their misleadership and crimes.. this time around.

It seems like everybody lives in the politcal moment. It seems like everybody has forgotten the Dems recent crimes, Delta Force used against American citizens at Waco, and so much more.

I guess some minds can't handle it all at once.

These parties heirarchies are one world government workers, and they don't get their marching orders from the American people. They only try to get away with what they can get away with against the American people and then the other guy takes over from the other party that is working for a one world government.. and to keep you happy until you know it's here and you've lost your Bill of Rights on this planet.

It's only here, folks.

The British have no Bill of Right. The Soviets didn't and the Russians don't. The "new" demcracies of Eastern Europe don't have a Bill of Rights. Nobody's got a Bill of Rights in any African nation to save for the human race. China has no Bill of Rights.

Well then I quess a Bill of Rights isn't that important then if all of these other countries can't have one.

huh

You're ignorance makes me sad.

P
                          Last edited by Phil theStalker; 08-26-2004, 06:43 PM.
                          Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Phil theStalker
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                            OK phil, thanks for weighing in.

We've got plenty of time...
                            No you don't.

The writing's on the wall.

Or you can read the Patriot Act or Anti-Bill of Rights act.

Read that if you can't find "the writing on the wall."

P
                            Add to Ignore list

Comment

• Big Train
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I think you need to go outside the wall and breathe some fresh air.

It's all gonna be allright....

Comment

Working...