08-27-2004, 07:42 PM
In 1978 Van Halen killed disco.

In 2005 - 06 Could a David Lee Roth led Van Halen save Rock and

Roll again??

VMA AWARDS COMMENTARY

Rock's days fade as hip-hop leads way

BY EVELYN McDONNELL

emcdonnell@herald.com

MTV prides itself on its ability to surf the zeitgeist. The network has dominated the pop landscape for more than two decades because of its agile, sometimes facile ability to anticipate and drop trends. As MTV news correspondent Kurt Loder says, ``Music changes all the time; if it didn't we would all be bored. MTV reflects that change. It's like Top 40 radio used to be.''

But when it comes to black artists, MTV has a sorry history of playing catch-up. In its initial years, the channel's strict diet of rock, pop and new wave acts led critics to eventually charge it with racism. While a hip-hop nation was being born, rock dominated the music channel. Just check out the first 11 winners of the Video of the Year award: The Cars, Don Henley, Dire Straits, Peter Gabriel, INXS, Neil Young, Sinead O'Connor, R.E.M., Van Halen, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith. Finally, after more than a decade, T.L.C's Waterfalls broke the color barrier for the top MTV prize.

Those rockist days are gone. In 2004, it's conceivable that hip-hop and R&B acts will sweep the awards. Even D12 could well knock out the rockers in the best group category (helped, of course, by white front guy Eminem). During the show's performances, Jet, Yellowcard and Hoobastank will all share a rock block, a sort of guys-with-guitars ghetto.

Still, unlike those bands, the artists with the most VMA nominations -- Jay-Z, Outkast, Beyoncé and (token multiracial act and longtime MTV fave) No Doubt -- have paid their dues. MTV will likely want to prove itself edgier than the Grammys by anointing Shawn Carter rather than the Academy-blessed Outkast; Hova should rake the Moonmen in Sunday. Of course, he had to ''retire'' (yeah, right) to finally get the awards-show kudos he deserves. During his eight-year career, the skilled lyricist has never received so many nominations at any award show; he leads the VMA pack with six.

The VMAs will probably add to the trophies haul for Usher that was started last month by the BET awards, and will likely continue through the Grammys. With the multiplatinum success of his Confessions album and his current Truth tour, the genetics-blessed singer could end up 2004's artist of the year.

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/entertainment/9499252.htm

bueno bob
08-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
In 1978 Van Halen killed disco.

In 2005 - 06 Could a David Lee Roth led Van Halen save Rock and

Roll again??

Yes. Duh. :)

Wayne L.
08-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Van Halen didn't kill disco in the 70's since it was only a fad to begin with even though they did give rock & roll a good kick in the ass at the time but I DO think rock is on life support sadly because of hip hop & manufactured pop artists which means MTV has been the death of rock & roll & pop culture in general for over 20 years.

bueno bob
08-27-2004, 08:50 PM
It'll come back, it always does. Historically, rock loses favor every couple years, something else takes it's place, and then it comes back in a really big way. Been a track pattern since the 60s.

mewisemagic
08-27-2004, 09:48 PM
i dont remember a pattern this long!

DLRdelight!
08-27-2004, 10:35 PM
I hope they come back beacuse rock is dying today. I swear i was born in the wrong era, all the music coming out today is shit. Bands such as Yellowcard, Modest Mouse, etc. What kind of rock is that. Its not even rock!!! Im tired of seeing no new bands comiong out with no kick ass guitarist. All they do these days is chord changes and simple solos, well not solos but bootleg interludes. I cant even hear the radio no more because there is never anyting on. Only listening to classic rock stations is worth a try, nothing else. So come back and save the world Dave and van halen

moose
08-27-2004, 10:40 PM
A bomb in L.A would help.

badhorsie
08-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by mewisemagic
i dont remember a pattern this long!

MY thoughts exactly.

The way music is promoted to the masses has changed drastically.The record labels dont work the same anymore. Even touring isnt the same anymore (look at the prices).

DLR ROCKS123
08-28-2004, 12:46 AM
The thing wrong with pop vs rock and roll po they dont know how to play an instrument i dunno maybe they don't even know what one is lol. Anyways in twenty years from now how many people are going to remember a britney queers song or that fag m&m who would name themselves after a pice of candy that melts lol anyways its been twenty years and people still talk about runnin with the devil or jump hot for teacher the list can go on. But tell me how many songs can you even remember now that britney queers did two years ago. I can't think of one. Still thinking

bueno bob
08-28-2004, 02:34 AM
Good points...I may be being too optimistic in my outlook, but I really think that, sooner or later, something's gonna break and people are just going to want to party with good old fashioned rock and roll one of these days...of course, how that's going to happen when the Jessica Simpson crowd doesn't even really know it exists at all is another matter entirely...

Be hopeful :)

horty07
08-28-2004, 02:48 AM
Dave could help revive rock in a big way, but he has to get hungry and exploit himself all over again. Fuck heads like Axl have given rockers a bad name by not showing up for their own concerts. Dave passed the tourch to these fuckers and they pissed all over it, its time he take it back and kick some ass. or somthing like that.

Panamark
08-28-2004, 03:22 AM
Rock will never die.

As long as guitars and amplifiers exist, there will
be Rock and Roll.

=Marshall=
08-28-2004, 03:53 AM
Rock ain't dead. Not even close. So MTV is infested with shitty pop and hip-hop and whatever. Who cares? I don't have to turn that channel on (except to check out Beyoncé's ass).:D
I think there are some good rock bands today. The Darkness, Jet, White Stripes (have you heard Elephant, fuckin brilliant!), Audioslave (hmmm.. are they still around??).

Anyways, my point is, who cares for what the MTV plays, rock is bubbling alive as ever in the underground (and it will emerge to the mainstream, just wait, a giant wave of ROCK is coming up, and the real Van Halen reunion will ride that wave as the FLAGSHIP!!!).

:killer:

rustoffa
08-28-2004, 04:12 AM
I tell ya, those nu-metal kids scream like a fucking harpie.

Like they mean it, I ain't condoning it 'cause it sounds like they're
dying for pete's sake.

That "Story of the year" fucker sounds like somebody being burned alive.

Alot of that bombastic shit just gets on my nerves....then you hear
some fucking coldplay.

What the hell is that? You got nu-metal kids screaming in pain
and that coldplay fucker sounding like a dying sea turtle.

Halen High
08-28-2004, 08:41 AM
A reunion of the real Van Halen could definately have a positive impact on today's rock scene. I think kids are getting tired of all the mass marketed, production line, plastic pop that's shoved down their throats these days. I think hard rock is on the way back and Classic Van Halen could still play a part in this.

fenway5150
08-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Isn't it sad when some people think of people like Pink and Avril Levigne ROCK stars? If they're rock and roll....that's fucking sad. They're pop tarts at best.

Chaz Rock City
08-29-2004, 07:23 AM
I'm hoping the Darkness continues to have success. Also new Donnas in Oct

Don Corleone
08-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Chaz Rock City
I'm hoping the Darkness continues to have success.

I saw them yesterday at the Leeds festival, they where brilliant. Offspring where also good, but it was good just to hang out with The Hives