PDA

View Full Version : Dave N Gary

vhfan010
09-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Hows Gary these days, does anyone think Gary and Dave should get together just to make Sammy look bad?

spmusicplyr
09-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Gary is doing some band called the tribe of judah...have no idea what they sound like.

should they get together? no

DLR_EngineRoom
09-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by vhfan010
Hows Gary these days, does anyone think Gary and Dave should get together just to make Sammy look bad?

I will go on record to state this, and you can quote me if you want...

Gary Cherone is probably the most biggest and most successful Roth era Halen fan there is. I may love Classic VH, but I've never been in a band, much less one that was successful, much less one that was so successful that Roth invited us to open for him, and then be invited by the remaining members of Van Halen themselves to be the new lead singer for an album and tour.

Gary grew up listening and LOVING Classic Van Halen, NOT Van Hagar, just like any and all of us here online. The only difference is; he put his money where his mouth is. He walked the walk and talked the talk. He did it. He was successful. Maybe not in selling a shitload of CDs or selling out record time in his tour with VH. But his resume is solid; he can honestly say that not only did he meet his teenage idols, he toured with them!

Now that's what I call THE MOST successful Roth fan there is. Period.

Lou
09-01-2004, 06:54 PM
That's an interesting take.

I know this much, the Gary tour resembled Van HALEN a hell of a lot more than this tour does. I can honestly say that, without question, given a choice of going to a 1998 show or a 2004 I'd want in for the 1998 show.

And you know what? I'd seriously rather listen to VHIII than ANY of the Van Hagar albums. While Van Hagar music per se is better than VHIII (and that's not saying much, I know), I just hate little fat Sambo so much as a person that it makes me sick to listen to any Van Hagar. At least Gary had respect for the original Van HALEN music despite his gay antics.

DLR_EngineRoom
09-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Lou
That's an interesting take.

I know this much, the Gary tour resembled Van HALEN a hell of a lot more than this tour does. I can honestly say that, without question, given a choice of going to a 1998 show or a 2004 I'd want in for the 1998 show.

And you know what? I'd seriously rather listen to VHIII than ANY of the Van Hagar albums. At least Gary had respect for the original Van HALEN music.

Precisely. BTW, Eddie was ripping shreds on the 98 tour...played every classic song NOTE FOR NOTE. And yknow what? They only played ONE TOKEN SONG PER HAGAR ALBUM, the rest was Classic stuff sung by a Roth Fan!!!!

If Dave ain't gonna be in the band, I say AT LEAST have the decency to hire a ROTH FAN to sing!

EmpyreLounge44
09-01-2004, 07:21 PM
tribe of judah is no longer together and gary is working on a solo project. he is a fan of the dlr era and extreme opened for dlr back in the early 90s. real good guy. he actually just played a couple shows with nuno and the other guys from extreme in portugal

jhale667
09-01-2004, 07:49 PM
[i] he actually just played a couple shows with nuno and the other guys from extreme in portugal [/B]

WHAT?!?!? This after they refused to do the VH1 'Bands Reunited' thing? BASTARDS!!! I saw Extreme a few times...Nuno kicked ass.

EmpyreLounge44
09-01-2004, 11:12 PM
yeah it was i think 4 shows...they just wanted to do it on their own terms...when i interviewed gary, i could tell that the whole cheese rock thing bugged them and that More than Words was not a good example of their band

tjvhou812
09-01-2004, 11:17 PM

how long did it take you to come up with this thread

Matt White
09-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
yeah it was i think 4 shows...they just wanted to do it on their own terms...when i interviewed gary, i could tell that the whole cheese rock thing bugged them and that More than Words was not a good example of their band

I agree Empyrelounge44. More than wordds was NOT what Extreme was about. Kid Ego, Mutha, Don't wanna go to school. Nuno is a Bad MUTHAFUCKA of guitar. Saw 'em open for DAVE on the ALEA tour in DETROIT. They rocked.

bueno bob
09-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Extreme was always a pretty decent act...think my favorite track was "Do You Wanna Play" or something like that, it was off of the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure soundtrack...I remember thinking to myself at the time, "Man, this guy oughta be singing for Halen, not Hagar! Shit, man, if he could bring this kinda energy back to VH, we might actually have a BAND again..."

:rolleyes:

Of course, I never considered the possibility that Edward Van Halen would be involved with it :D

Should David and Gary get together? NO.

Later.

Rikk
09-01-2004, 11:32 PM
I only think the original Van Halen is Van Halen. But I'll say this...after listening through the Hagar years (yes, I'm sad to admit that I have the albums), I will still say that I prefer VH III to ANY of the Van Hagar albums. VH III at least offers some amazing guitar work from Ed, and while Gary is not very good on the album and it's dying for Roth, at least he didn't go for the fucking cheesy JOURNEY-pop shit sound that Hagar has been ripping off for years. I'll even sadly admit that I like a few songs off the III album (JOSEPHINA, DIRTY WATER DOG, ONE I WANT).

VAN HALEN III was not a good album, and it wasn't really Van Halen. But it was intriguing. And in retrospect, that tour was a lot more exciting than the fucking hippie tours Van Halen have done.

I hate Sammy Hagar. I don't hate Gary Cherone (although I detest his politics). I will say this: although it doesn't really matter without Dave, I'd rather have Gary Cherone in that band than Sammy Hagar. I wouldn't care if Hagar were hit by a mack truck...seriously.

tjvhou812
09-01-2004, 11:34 PM
get your ass back to the penn, little bitch rikk

Rikk
09-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by tjvhou812
get your ass back to the penn, little bitch rikk

Learn how to spell "penn" before you actually start asking people to go back to it.

bueno bob
09-01-2004, 11:56 PM
Bah, consider the source....Hagar's fans can't spell, Rikk!

BigDaddyD
09-02-2004, 12:02 AM
VHIII is the biggest piece of shit ever recorded PERIOD. It is so because of EVH. Gary is talented, EXTREME was a great band. DLR should hook up with Nuno.

spmusicplyr
09-02-2004, 02:36 PM
You know, Van Halen 3 Is really underrated. Without you, one i want...they're all good.

I think the problem with the songs is that they're all 6 minutes long... i think if they edited them down to 3 or 3:30, they'd be a lot more concise and to the point. There was a lot of extra BS in those songs that made them too drawn out.

I saw a video of unchained in austrailia in 98 and it wasn't bad at all.
I think maybe gary would have fit in more if he dumped that clean image and grew out his hair :)

I've heard audio if gary saying he loved old vh..and rightfully so...he should! So mad props to a guy with great potential...it's just the fan reaction...and the fact that eddie didnt really give him great tracks to work with. I really think that was eddies experimental album and used gary as his lab rat.

Matt White
09-02-2004, 02:44 PM
I think the problem for poor 'ol Gary was DAVID LEE ROTH IS THE SINGER OF VAN HALEN. Nobody, except the SHEEP, got used to Spammy runnin' around with the sisters, and a THIRD singer seemed like Karaoke. If I'm NOT gonna except Spammy singing any CLASSIC VAN HALEN SONGS, NOBODY but DAVE is gonna do either. The SISTERS were/are under the mistaken idea that IT'S THEIR BAND!! Sorry fellas, THAT DOG DON'T HUNT, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!!!

DavidLeeNatra
09-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by spmusicplyr
I saw a video of unchained in austrailia in 98 and it wasn't bad at all.

do we have a "fag pen" for this fella?

rob100
09-02-2004, 02:50 PM

Dave doesn't need Gary to make Sammy look bad;)

DavidLeeNatra
09-02-2004, 02:52 PM
noone needs anybody to make sam look bad...

Rikk
09-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Sam is the worst. I think most of us can agree on that.

Snow Ho
09-02-2004, 03:31 PM
i like vh3 cuz it pissed off the van hagar fans. i can't stand spam hagar and i will never understand how he got to be liked by anyone.

Rikk
09-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Snow Ho
i like vh3 cuz it pissed off the van hagar fans. i can't stand spam hagar and i will never understand how he got to be liked by anyone.

The only justification I can give for Hagar having had fans at some point is that it must be accepted that there are idiots out there in society.

EmpyreLounge44
09-02-2004, 03:55 PM
poor Gary never had a chance....not only were Hagar fans pissed but the DLR fans were pissed as well since DLR was dangled in front of them. the worst part about VH3 was the awful production on it, there are some decent songs that were on that disc. Best interview I ever did was with Gary

guwapo_rocker
09-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by EmpyreLounge44
there are some decent songs that were on that disc.

That entire album sounds like gay racoons fisting each other.

Are you deaf by any chance?

DLR_EngineRoom
09-02-2004, 07:12 PM
As far as Gary Cherone/Extreme goes, if there's anyone that isn't sure but would like to hear Gary's/Extreme's best work, I would HIGHLY advise you buy/borrow/download ANYTHING from Extreme's first 2 albums. You can CLEARLY see Gary and Nuno's classic VH's influences in their first two albums. The rest of their albums have a few choice cuts, but nothing to advertise about....

EmpyreLounge44
09-03-2004, 12:07 PM
see i think you can't go wrong with the latter two disc....3 sides is great and waiting fot the punchline is pretty solid as well. the first two do show more of the VH influence while the latter have more of a Queen feel I would say

Matt White
09-03-2004, 01:00 PM
[i]while the latter have more of a Queen feel I would say [/B]

UNINTENTIONALY FUNNY BRO!!!:lol: That might be due to GARY!!!

Bill Lumbergh
09-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
I think the problem for poor 'ol Gary was DAVID LEE ROTH IS THE SINGER OF VAN HALEN. Nobody, except the SHEEP, got used to Spammy runnin' around with the sisters, and a THIRD singer seemed like Karaoke. If I'm NOT gonna except Spammy singing any CLASSIC VAN HALEN SONGS, NOBODY but DAVE is gonna do either. The SISTERS were/are under the mistaken idea that IT'S THEIR BAND!! Sorry fellas, THAT DOG DON'T HUNT, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE BABY!!!!!!

Can't believe I havent voted for you yet....well here it is Five stars!

badhorsie
09-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Extreme kicked ass.

Made DLR look bad on the ALAE tour. (mostly because his band sucked that tour)

Terry
09-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Never really had a problem with Cherone. He had respect for the classic legacy. He also knew that he was in an impossible situation in terms of Roth looming over the band. Think in August if 1996 until early October he was just used as a backup in case Ed and Al decided they didn't want to deal with Roth beyond the release of BOV1.

Didn't really care for Van Halen 3, but it took balls on Eddie's part not to tour with Dave in 1996/1997. (In 1996) The guy said he was about making new music, didn't want to Van Halen to be thought of in terms of nostalgia, etc. Then, of course, the VH3 lineup goes out and plays a show where more than half the setlist was classic tunes, typical of the juxtaposition between what Eddie says and what he ends up doing.

Dave and Gary? Nah. 2002's Dave and Sammy tour made sense on some level, as both had been in Halen for a little over a decade each and both had a measure of success with the band. Also made sense in terms of the novelty factor.

Gary's just a footnote.

EmpyreLounge44
09-04-2004, 02:23 PM
yeah he is but hopefully the dates gary did with nuno in portugal extend and they do some boston extreme dates

light 'em up!
09-13-2004, 09:09 AM
yea for gary, but on the other hand.... nae!

jacksmar
09-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Dave and the fourth vocalist should hook up and the fourth vocalist should not sing a note. The fourth vocalist should shut the fuck up and play guitar, tell his brother to play the drums and shut the fuck up, and tell the bass player to sing him required and stay out of the fucking way.

spmusicplyr
09-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Wasnt gary DLR's opening act for the ALAE tour?

If so, then whats the problem?

Satan
09-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by jhale667
WHAT?!?!? This after they refused to do the VH1 'Bands Reunited' thing? BASTARDS!!! I saw Extreme a few times...Nuno kicked ass.

I didn't understand that one either. Extreme has reunited on a number of occasions already. Hell, Tribe of Judah was basically Extreme minus Nuno. They should have been a natural for the VH1 show.

Anyway from that show, it sounded like Cherone was taking a break from music and building a house - which he obviously didn't buy with his share of the VDIII profits.

Never was an Extreme fan per se, I could take em or leave em. But there's no question Cherone got screwed (and not in the Biblical sense) by the Lying Dutchmen and especially Danniels who set the whole disaster up in the first place.

From what I heard of Tribe of Judah, it didn't sound that bad. I was hoping it would outsell VDIII just so Cherone could yell out a spirited "FUCK YOU" to the Dutchmen.

freak
09-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by rob100
Dave doesn't need Gary to make Sammy look bad;)

Sammy doesn't need either of them to look bad.

turboblues
09-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Nuno is a great guitar player but that Cherone guy sounded a bit...well uh gay!

kcmusician
09-24-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by BigDaddyD
VHIII is the biggest piece of shit ever recorded PERIOD.

That's not entirely true.... I've heard what many people consider to be the worst album ever recorded.... I can post some files if I can find them.... We're talking about some bad shit here by a dood that looks like Jerry Garcia.

Shaun

rustoffa
09-24-2004, 10:48 AM
The best of both worlds produced the biggest piece of shit ever in recording....The return of ROY!!!

MOTHERFUCK SAMMY HAGAR