PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bombers place former wrestler Brock Lesnar on negotiation list.

rustoffa
09-02-2004, 01:17 AM
From canada.com
http://www.canada.com/sports/football/story.html?id=04193319-7874-4236-AB7F-BEBC4A194184

Blue Bombers place former wrestler Brock Lesnar on negotiation list

DAN RALPH
Canadian Press

Wednesday, September 01, 2004
(CP) - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are offering former pro wrestler Brock Lesnar a different road to the NFL.

Two CFL sources requesting anonymity said Wednesday the Bombers have placed the six-foot-three, 295-pound Lesnar on their negotiation list. The former World Wresting Entertainment star was released Monday by the Minnesota Vikings, failing to make the NFL club as a defensive lineman.

Brendan Taman, Winnipeg's general manager, politely declined to confirm whether Lesnar was on his list. But Taman commented about Lesnar's football ability and the possibility of Lesnar joining the Bombers.

"I don't think he has given the Canadian league a lot of thought but now with his NFL situation maybe in question, that might become more of an issue than we think," Taman said. "I'm sure he's still geared towards trying to get on the Vikings practice roster and if that happens I think we'd be out of the picture. But if it didn't, you never know.

"In this case, this guy is a legitimate football prospect. To what degree, we'd like to find that out in person."

Taman said he spoke with Ed Hitchcock, Lesnar's agent, shortly after the wrestler announced he wanted to play pro football. Despite his size and high profile, Lesnar, 27, was a longshot to make the Vikings considering he last played football in 1995 for his high school team in South Dakota.

"When I spoke with Ed, he told me they were geared towards the NFL and I told him I understood that but if they needed an avenue other than that to the NFL I said to keep Winnipeg in mind," Taman said. "His wrestling background at the amateur level is interesting in itself because those guys are very, very good athletes.

"The Canadian game is unique but I think when it comes down to offensive line against defensive line, it's mano-a-mano and you've got to beat the guy across from you. I just want him to prove that he can't do it."

After high school, Lesnar attended the University of Minnesota on a wrestling scholarship and won the 2000 NCAA heavyweight title. He later gained pro wrestling fame as The Next Big Thing.

But despite a seven-year, $45-million US contract with the WWE, Lesnar opted to pursue a pro football career, signing a one-year deal with Minnesota for $230,000, the rookie minimum salary.

Lesnar would earn much less in the CFL, whose average is about $50,000 with the rookie minimum being around $30,000. But with teams already halfway through their seasons, Lesnar would earn between $15,000 and $25,000.

If Lesnar was placed on a CFL practice roster, he would receive roughly $500 per week.

Taman said he'll know in a week or two - once the Vikings finalize their practice roster - whether he has a legitimate shot at landing Lesnar.

horty07
09-02-2004, 01:27 AM
If he is serious about playing ball this is a good stepping stone, Andre Rison signed with Toronto hopping to show his stuff and get picked up by an NFL team.

guwapo_rocker
09-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Worked for Doug Flutie, Warren Moon and many others.