PDA

View Full Version : BOBW 'Humdrum and Horrible' new songs

secrets
09-03-2004, 12:47 PM
selected quotes:

War of the worlds

David Lee Roth wiped from history as Van Halen issue a 'greatest hits' spiked with three 'humdrum and horrible' new songs.

Van Halen

Best of Both Worlds

In a move that would make Stalin delirious, David Lee Roth has been deleted from this latest Van Halen collection. Not musically, of course - that would be commercial suicide. But if his face hadn't figured on a smattering of album covers there'd be no sign of him at all. The band (the current line-up) all get to offer their appreciations in the liner notes, and each features in a black and white portrait shot; Roth doesn't get even a mention - but then neither does the 'Van Halen 3' band (with ex-Extreme vocalist Gary cherone), so maybe Eddie wants to forget about that all together. 'Fire In The Hole' anyone? Thought not....

...when the original Van Halen re-formed briefly for their first greatest-hits CD "Best of Volume 1" (and if you have that you will wonder why you need '... Both Worlds'; and the answer is that you don't) the two exclusive songs showcased there were dazzling and full of promise: 'Me Wise Magic' and 'Can't Get This Stuff No More' were wry and rich and made you tap your foot in a distracted way. They didn't make you think they'd be the part of the show where you'd nip out to get a drink before they played 'Panama'. The 3 new songs on '...Both Worlds' unfortunately possess the kind of charm that will drive you out of the door quicker than the drum solo.

'Learning to See' is so humdrum and horrible that I can't imagine it would have even made it on to 1995's terrible 'Balance'-an album so bad it broke the band up...

IN A NUTSHELL

As the bad blood between Roth and Van Halen continues to boil, this collection does the band cause no good at all.

Bill Lumbergh
09-03-2004, 12:51 PM
LMFAO "an album so bad it broke the band up" Classic.........if only 5150 or ou812 would have done the job a decade earlier.

Matt White
09-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
LMFAO "an album so bad it broke the band up" Classic.........if only 5150 or ou812 would have done the job a decade earlier.

EVH was TOO drunk to notice how bad 5150 and ou812 were BILL!!!:lol: :guzzle: :gulp: Shemp Van Halen is too concerned with fighting off divorce settlements to take notice. And NOBODY CARES what MIKEY has to say!!!

FUCK YOU Van Hagar!!!

Bill Lumbergh
09-03-2004, 01:15 PM
LOL......... I know who Ed and Al are, but who the fuck is Mikey?! Never heard of the guy!

Terry
09-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Have as yet to read one review this year that has anything good to say about the three new Van Hagar tunes, or a review where the author states a preference for any version of Van Halen other than the classic one.

Most critics wouldn't give the original lineup the time of day when they were still together. Guess better late than never when it comes to classic Van halen getting it's due.

guwapo_rocker
09-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Excellent......excellent.

ELVIS
09-03-2004, 07:35 PM
This is the best one yet...:D

Va Beach VH Fan
09-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Have as yet to read one review this year that has anything good to say about the three new Van Hagar tunes, or a review where the author states a preference for any version of Van Halen other than the classic one.

Just another example of absolutely zero preparation....

Those songs were obvious rush-jobs, with the icing on the cake compliments of a lyricist with the talents of The Brady Bunch.....

Terry
09-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
Just another example of absolutely zero preparation....

Those songs were obvious rush-jobs, with the icing on the cake compliments of a lyricist with the talents of The Brady Bunch.....

Would have to agree there. Even by Van Hagar standards, those three tracks sound like they were literally made up as they went along.

bueno bob
09-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Most critics wouldn't give the original lineup the time of day when they were still together. Guess better late than never when it comes to classic Van halen getting it's due.

You know, that's the funny thing about classic rock acts....a good lot of them....back in the day, NONE of them really got any decent reviews (Uriah Heep, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Judas Priest, et al). It wasn't until about, oh, 20 odd years later that the critics started looking back at those old albums and realizing just how important they were to harder edged music.

Of course, the FANS knew different...which is yet another reason why rock critics generally don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

However, they ALL seem to be right on the money in so far as the new Van Halen turds are concerned. They all seem to be in accordance that the new shit is shit. So do the majority of the fans, based on attendance figures and album sales, so for once, the fans and the critics seem to be in the same corner and on the same page.

Too band Van Halen can't see the boat passing them by. We keep trying to wave them in, but they keep swimming away from us...

....fuck it, let 'em drown.

Matt White
09-04-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
We keep trying to wave them in, but they keep swimming away from us...

....fuck it, let 'em drown.

THey won't drown BOB.:( Spammys fat ASS will float forever!!!! A one man RAFT!!!! The S.S SPAMBO!!!!

bueno bob
09-04-2004, 01:40 AM
THEN GET ME MY FUCKIN' HARPOON SO I CAN PUNCTURE THAT WHALE-ASS AND LET'S END THIS SHIT!!

DAVE OR THE GRAVE!!!!!!!!!!

Panamark
09-04-2004, 07:07 AM
Great review ! This man obvioisly knows his Van Halen history !

Factor9
11-02-2005, 09:21 PM
You know, I have heard EVH state that he has about 12 albums full of new material that he has written since the second and third rate VH demise.

If this is the BEST new songs that he can offer, then imagine what a trash load of crap the other songs are??!!!

Have another drink EVH cause obviously you are so pathetically drunk that you think you have great material in the offing.

Halen High
11-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Great review.

Throughout 2004, I enjoyed reading so many others like this. It was particularly good to read several in which the writer gave it to the brothers for trying to reduce Dave's contribution the band's history. I think even the press has had enough of the bullshit.

There was just no effort in it.

Seriously, it must be one of, if not the, most ill-concieved 'Best Of' projects in the history of rock.

fret_buzz_blues
11-03-2005, 01:50 AM
So great to see TRUTHFUL reviews...

Can`t drive 55
11-03-2005, 05:05 AM
i thought those new songs rocked. and the new live ones were better than the originals. rock on vh.

Weeksy Lee Roth
11-09-2005, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Can`t drive 55
i thought those new songs rocked. and the new live ones were better than the originals. rock on vh.

Has anyone ever told you that you're a fuck wit?

especially how you think the live versions of vh songs were better than the originals. Notice how they selected classic van halen songs and nothing from 0U812? Because no one wants to hear that shit, hell no one wants to hear Sambo ruin Dave's songs anyways. They should put some live tracks from Dave's Van Halen era.

In summary - You wouldn't know shit from clay

you cock smoker