Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Phillies outfielder Raul Ibanez fights back against steroid rumors

I'm clean, angry Ibanez says
    By Jim Salisbury

Inquirer Staff Writer

NEW YORK - Raul Ibanez has a message for those who say his spectacular offensive performance in a Phillies uniform could be a result of performance-enhancing drugs.

"I'll come after people who defame or slander me," he said before last night's game against the New York Mets. "It's pathetic and disgusting. There should be some accountability for people who put that out there."

A column in yesterday's Inquirer brought to light an Internet blogger who wondered if Ibanez had used such drugs.

The leftfielder, who turned 37 last week, entered last night tied for first in the National League with 54 RBIs. He was second in home runs with 19. Over his career, Ibanez's 162-game averages for homers and RBIs are 23 and 95, respectively, according to Baseball-Reference.com.

Ibanez said a team official made him aware of the speculation. While troubled by it, Ibanez said he was not surprised.

"Unfortunately, I understand the environment we're in and the events that have led us to this era of speculation," he said. "At the same time, you can't just walk down the street and accuse somebody of being a thief because they didn't have a nice car yesterday and they do today. You can't say that guy is a thief."

Ibanez said he had never used performance-enhancing drugs.

"You can have my urine, my hair, my blood, my stool - anything you can test," Ibanez said. "I'll give you back every dime I've ever made" if the test is positive.

"I'll put that up against the jobs of anyone who writes this stuff," he said. "Make them accountable. There should be more credibility than some 42-year-old blogger typing in his mother's basement. It demeans everything you've done with one stroke of the pen.

"Nobody is above the testing policy. We've seen that."

Ibanez, who signed with the Phils as a free agent over the winter, has impressed team officials and teammates with the time he spends in the weight room and batting cage.

"It's unfair because this story should be about how hard work, determination, and desire trumps chemicals and shortcuts," he said. "That should be the message: desire, character, work ethic. But some guy who doesn't know me - one idiot - says something like this. They should be held accountable. It's cowardly."
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Go get 'em, Raul!!!!
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• lesfunk
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

he sounds pissed.... Roid Rage?
      http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• fryingdutchman
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by lesfunk
        he sounds pissed.... Roid Rage?
        C'mon now....

I don't think so.

I agree with him being pissed. It's ridiculous that the ramblings of some blogger gets this kind of credibility and attention in the mainstream media.

That would be like someone stopping in here and choosing GAR as a "reliable source".....

Comment

• fryingdutchman
          Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Probably a fucking Mets fan...

Comment

• Guitar Shark
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
            I agree with him being pissed. It's ridiculous that the ramblings of some blogger gets this kind of credibility and attention in the mainstream media.
            I agree.

However, I also agree with the blogger who said that Raul should be most upset at his peers for putting him, unfair though it may be, in the position to have this speculation exist.
            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
              I agree.

However, I also agree with the blogger who said that Raul should be most upset at his peers for putting him, unfair though it may be, in the position to have this speculation exist.
              Precisely. What MLB players have to realize is that they have by now lost the presumption of innocence in the eyes of the press, and to an extent the fans as well. From Rafael Palmeiro wagging an arrogant finger at Congress only to be suspended from playing a few months later, to the current suspension of Manny Ramirez, people are simply sick of it.

Ibanez has a case to plead for playing on the up and up, yet you can not simply wipe away the stigma of what has officially become the steroids era. And Major League Baseball and it's player's union have only themselves to blame. Casting a blind eye to this issue while watching attendance and interest in the sport escalate over the past two decades has resulted in skepticism and outright mistrust of not only the players, yet the sport itself.

Where does this lead in the future? Who in the hell knows? Apparently players are still functioning under the false belief that they can cheat drug tests. Perhaps the idea of playing clean will eventually catch on to all of them. Yet in the meantime, the fans can look forward to visiting Cooperstown on day in the future and NOT seeing many of the famous names that racked up s string of amazing statistics. Then again, maybe they will, with asterisks next to them.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• forgiveness151

today

you look great today.AION NAVI

Comment

Working...