Prince is dead

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vandeleur
    replied
    One thing from this thread that is very clear is that Prince is dead yet still more productive than you Kristy

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    This "remaster" and the 2017 "remix" of Sgt. Pepper are the only ones I've heard that were done right. Unlike those 2013 Zeppelin pieces of absolute shit. Purple Rain is loud but not brightly loud as in over-compressed to fucking death loud. You can actually hear the acoustic guitar that was originally low in the mix of 'Take Me With U' shine here. Prince must have played more instruments on these tunes because I've never heard them before.

Some of these 7" B-sides of Prince are quite good.

Leave a comment:

• twonabomber
    replied
    We Can Fuck became Graffiti Bridge's We Can Funk, with George Clinton on vocals. Awful movie, slightly better soundtrack.

Good to have a clean copy of the long version of Computer Blue. Some of the bootlegs have four or five versions, this one cleaned up well. I think it's Computer Blue #4 from the Purple Rush bootleg.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 06-23-2017, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    Either way it should have NEVER been released. It's really unwatchable.

Leave a comment:

• twonabomber
    replied
    The Syracuse show was shot on tape and not film. I remember the crappy mix from the VHS version.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    My copy arrived today and I must say I'm impressed. The real gem here is the 3rd disc with the B-sides and edits while the vault stuff, yeah, should have remained in the vault. The DVD absolutely sucks. It's not 1080, not in Dolby and the mix is beyond fucking awful.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    More limey teeth

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    She has limey teeth

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    ^ ^ ^

Fake news.

Leave a comment:

• twonabomber
    replied
    Actually Warners is late.

When Prince re-signed with WB in 2014, the Purple Rain remaster was to have been released in time for the 30th anniversary of the original release. Prince supposedly nixed the remaster's release. Prince had been saying he wasn't interested in revisiting the past, only making new music.

In an interview promoting one of the Revolution's reunion shows, bassist BrownMark claims that Prince told him that once he was done with the 3rdEyeGirl phase he'd get the Revolution back together.

Leave a comment:

• Kristy
    replied
    Looks like Warner Brothers could not wait to rip that dead fucker off.

$35 retail for a compressed remaster and a shitty DVD?

Leave a comment:

• twonabomber
    replied
    Great show! Good to hear some of these songs live again. Especially the stuff from 1999 and earlier. Heavy on the Purple Rain era, eight songs including Erotic City. Pretty much everything but the Beautiful Ones and Darling Nikki. Stokely Williams from Mint Condition was guest vocalist and did most of the falsetto parts. Wendy mentioned Chris Cornell during Sometimes It Snows In April. Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden will be on the Purple Rain reissue and were well received.

Had some excellent tacos at Zocalo Tequileria on East 4th St (within view of our usual DLR pre-show, Flannery's) and wandered around a bit before the show. Nice night to be downtown, Indians were off and the Cavs are in Boston.

Computer Blue
    America
    Mountains
    Automatic
    Take Me With U
    Uptown
    D.M.S.R.
    Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden
    Raspberry Beret
    Erotic City
    Let's Work
    Paisley Park
    Controversy / Mutiny
    Sometimes It Snows in April (Lisa and Wendy acoustic and piano)
    Let's Go Crazy
    Delirious
    Kiss
    When Doves Cry
    Purple Rain

Encore:
    I Would Die 4 U
    Baby I'm a Star
    Last edited by twonabomber; 05-18-2017, 11:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vandeleur
    replied
    Working through it

Leave a comment:

• twonabomber
    replied
    I was able to download it. Thanks for the link!

Leave a comment:

• Seshmeister
    replied
    I wonder if it's ok because it's radio rather than TV?

Prince's engineer Susan Rogers came across a bit defensive at first which made me go back and look it up and apparently they fell out later when she commented on not liking some of his later stuff.

It's arguable that she engineered his best work but there is a big difference between being a producer and an engineer, this wasn't Mutt Lange and Def Leppard.

Leave a comment:

Working...