Tapes that kill

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

    • Oct 2004
    • 49262

    #61


    They want to remove Marrs as an "officer of the corporation". How rock and roll!!!

    Comment

    • Seshmeister
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

      • Oct 2003
      • 35269

      #62
      The band are countering with stuff like

      In the attached signed declarations, seven crew members offer complaints about Mars's playing in the 2022 tour. Robert Long, the band's production manager since 2007, said in the statement provided by group attorneys to Variety: "When he is off, the band's entire performance suffers. Mick's performance during 'The Stadium Tour' was unworkable and very difficult to manage. It began with the band's rehearsals in April 2022. Mick would consistently forget chords and songs so the band would have to stop and re-teach those parts to Mick to remind him of the arrangements. … Mick's performance issues continued throughout the tour. He would consistently miss notes; play out of tune; play the wrong chords during a song; stay within a chorus of a song and never come out of it; forget the song that he was playing and start a different one; and would get lost in songs. This happened at every show. … Our playback engineer put in cues for Mick so that he would stay on course but he would miss the cues.”


      Tour manager Thomas Reitz declared in his statement that "Mick was struggling, forgetting chords and songs. He was not up to speed with the songs and could not play his solos. The other band members spent hours trying to help Mick. Mick would often get frustrated and confused. I also witnessed the band and crew's frustration with Mick's mistakes first hand during the rehearsals. Mick's issues continued and got worse during the tour. Virtually at every concert, he played the wrong chords, wrong song or would forget what song he was playing. A sound technician would always need to have a backup track ready in case Mick played the wrong song or chord."

      The group's monitor engineer, Scott Megrath, said in his declaration that, at certain points, "I had to make sure that the other band members would not get Mick's feed into their earpieces because that would confuse them and potentially ruin the show. Mick's mistakes happened on numerous occasions and at every show. In my years of experience, I have never seen mistakes like this by a guitarist on stage."
      There is some 'fake history' that Crue were the biggest act of the period with the best musicians among people who weren't around back then. Millennials and even friends of my teenage kids have them on this pedestal which is a bit bizarre. Around 1991 Crue were 3rd top of the bill at festivals. In the circles I was in Mick Mars was seen as decent at coming up with the odd riff but an unusually poor guitarist compared to most others to the point that if I hit a duff note someone in the rest of the band would shout down the mike even at a live gig 'MICK MARS!!'. Now on Facebook groups I see him topping polls of the greatest guitarist of the 80s/90s it's all a bit weird.

      I'm not a hater at all I liked the 2 decent songs they would have on each album back then but the bullshit and lies has been crazy so it must be a bit shocking to the part of their fan base who are 40 and younger that the whole thing doesn't bear up to much close inspection...
      Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-06-2023, 10:06 PM.

      Comment

      • Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

        • Oct 2004
        • 49262

        #63
        I wouldn't see these clowns if you paid me. Fucking Nikki Prixx yells to the hills how he's sober but still can't play his bass live. Retards, die in a plane crash already....

        Comment

        • Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

          • Oct 2003
          • 35269

          #64
          The group's monitor engineer, Scott Megrath, said in his declaration that, at certain points, "I had to make sure that the other band members would not get Mick's feed into their earpieces because that would confuse them and potentially ruin the show.
          Presumably because they might then mime the wrong note?

          Comment

          • Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

            • Oct 2003
            • 35269

            #65
            So if you strip away the girls who may be singing backing vocals or maybe just miming strippers not a whole lot left...

            Comment

            • twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

              • Jan 2004
              • 11212

              #66
              Wonder how recent this pic is

              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

              Comment

              • Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004
                • 16518

                #67
                Originally posted by twonabomber
                Wonder how recent this pic is
                Jesus Christ...yeah, they're sure going out "on top"...LMFAO.

                They WERE once a great band...TOO FAST FOR LOVE, SHOUT AT THE DEVIL...most people hated it but I really liked a lot of the material on their reunion LP, GENERATION SWINE. At least they were trying something new.

                But they REALLY should have bowed out with their farewell tour. They are literally pissing on their legacy. I'll bet they're just going to keep running this thing into the ground, eventually losing another original member with more lawsuits...maybe it'll just be Nikki in the end, playing an all-mimed backing track tour, doing the same hits that sound like shit, uglier than ever...

                I had an ex that broke up with me after we lived together for a while. I moved on, eventually met my wife and was happy...but my ex suddenly couldn't accept that I had moved on. She literally for a few years was sending me crazy emails, questioning how I could move on, questioning how I would want to "let us go." She just couldn't see that it was no good...just couldn't see that it was so over and kept trying and trying to just keep it going for so much longer than any sane person would want to try beating a dead horse. She stalked me even after I was engaged to my future wife. SHE JUST COULDN'T SEE THAT SOME THINGS JUST NEED TO END, FOR FUCK'S SAKES!!!

                And that's just what this band is now. I used to really like them. And I still put on TOO FAST FOR LOVE and jump around the room, listening to LIVE WIRE or PUBLIC ENEMY #1. But every year they continue to be bigger and bigger fucking jokes, I just completely lose respect for them and the legacy they're destroying.

                They NEVER were the unique and almost divine experience that original Van Halen or Rush or Deep Purple were. They were kind of a sleazy, loud and fun band that one could not take truly seriously. And they had plenty of lousy moments in their career/catalog. But I never thought they could sink this low.

                Who the fuck are these people still buying tickets?...
                Roth Army Militia

                Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

                Comment

                • twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

                  • Jan 2004
                  • 11212

                  #68
                  Originally posted by Rikk
                  They NEVER were the unique and almost divine experience that original Van Halen or Rush or Deep Purple were. They were kind of a sleazy, loud and fun band that one could not take truly seriously. And they had plenty of lousy moments in their career/catalog. But I never thought they could sink this low.
                  Musical equivalent of a summer popcorn movie.

                  They were okay on the SOLA tour, which is the last I saw, and as much as I like John 5, I won't go now. Nothing like Feelgood tour or even Gen Swine, there was an energy that tour of "hey, we're back!" even though the album was iffy and they played smaller rooms.

                  Probably should have quit in '05. Mars looked awkward onstage that tour, like he had metal rods in his boots holding him up.
                  Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

                  Comment

                  • Terry
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 11984

                    #69
                    Originally posted by Rikk
                    It's really sad. From what I understand, Crue's last REAL tour (the farewell thingy) went very well. The shows were apparently good. Then they come back and do pathetic double and triple-billings, eventually losing the only guitarist they ever had and literally playing to tapes. I thought the whole point of their farewell tour was that they wanted to go out while they "could still kick ass"? Now, they're an industry embarrassment.
                    The show I saw from that tour was okay, performance-wise. Vince Neil was clearly having trouble in that he looked and sounded winded and sang very few choruses, opting to stick the mic out to the crowd in a gesture to have the audience sing them (a bit like 'hey, asshole, I didn't pay to hear these tone-deaf idiots around me singing your tunes' but whatever) along with the two female backup singer/dancers. It was also audibly obvious at that show that while Mick Mars appeared to be playing live there were backing guitar rhythm tracks being either piped in or someone offstage was playing rhythm guitar.

                    Then again, I never considered Motley Crue to be particularly good musicians anyway - even back in the 1980s - so the augmentations weren't surprising.
                    Motley Crue were never a band I thought of as great musicians, even back in the 1980s.
                    Scramby eggs and bacon.

                    Comment

                    • Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004
                      • 11984

                      #70
                      Originally posted by Rikk
                      Jesus Christ...yeah, they're sure going out "on top"...LMFAO.

                      They WERE once a great band...TOO FAST FOR LOVE, SHOUT AT THE DEVIL...most people hated it but I really liked a lot of the material on their reunion LP, GENERATION SWINE. At least they were trying something new.

                      But they REALLY should have bowed out with their farewell tour. They are literally pissing on their legacy. I'll bet they're just going to keep running this thing into the ground, eventually losing another original member with more lawsuits...maybe it'll just be Nikki in the end, playing an all-mimed backing track tour, doing the same hits that sound like shit, uglier than ever...

                      I had an ex that broke up with me after we lived together for a while. I moved on, eventually met my wife and was happy...but my ex suddenly couldn't accept that I had moved on. She literally for a few years was sending me crazy emails, questioning how I could move on, questioning how I would want to "let us go." She just couldn't see that it was no good...just couldn't see that it was so over and kept trying and trying to just keep it going for so much longer than any sane person would want to try beating a dead horse. She stalked me even after I was engaged to my future wife. SHE JUST COULDN'T SEE THAT SOME THINGS JUST NEED TO END, FOR FUCK'S SAKES!!!

                      And that's just what this band is now. I used to really like them. And I still put on TOO FAST FOR LOVE and jump around the room, listening to LIVE WIRE or PUBLIC ENEMY #1. But every year they continue to be bigger and bigger fucking jokes, I just completely lose respect for them and the legacy they're destroying.

                      They NEVER were the unique and almost divine experience that original Van Halen or Rush or Deep Purple were. They were kind of a sleazy, loud and fun band that one could not take truly seriously. And they had plenty of lousy moments in their career/catalog. But I never thought they could sink this low.

                      Who the fuck are these people still buying tickets?...
                      Sort of the definition of a band comprised of meatheads who made it big...bigger than I thought they should have...but I too still enjoy the first two albums...

                      It's as you say in that they were this dumb, loud L.A. club band that played dumb, loud, fun rock that one could never take seriously. As twonabomber said, basically disposable fluff a la summer popcorn movie.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

                      Comment

                      • Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 32810

                        #71
                        Originally posted by Terry
                        Sort of the definition of a band comprised of meatheads who made it big...bigger than I thought they should have...but I too still enjoy the first two albums...

                        It's as you say in that they were this dumb, loud L.A. club band that played dumb, loud, fun rock that one could never take seriously. As twonabomber said, basically disposable fluff a la summer popcorn movie.
                        Nikki Sixx bought a house not too far away from me. This place appeals to outdoors people. I found it odd he would move here because he doesn’t strike me as a skiing, mountain climbing, back packing, fly fishing type guy.

                        The Crue had good songs. I never bought one album. It was good background music. I saw them at the US Festival. I thought they were a bit of a KISS rip off. They had a bit of makeup on and Sixx was in platform shoes.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

                        Comment

                        • Rikk
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004
                          • 16518

                          #72
                          Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          Nikki Sixx bought a house not too far away from me. This place appeals to outdoors people. I found it odd he would move here because he doesn’t strike me as a skiing, mountain climbing, back packing, fly fishing type guy.

                          The Crue had good songs. I never bought one album. It was good background music. I saw them at the US Festival. I thought they were a bit of a KISS rip off. They had a bit of makeup on and Sixx was in platform shoes.
                          You were at the US Festival??

                          I know people love to talk about sloppy VH were at the US Festival...but I have a pretty decent Blu-Ray of it that I put together. It's not polished...but it's still a fun VH gig...even if Dave (and I suspect one or two of the other guys) is totally drunk.
                          Roth Army Militia

                          Originally posted by WARF
                          Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

                          Comment

                          • Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004
                            • 11984

                            #73
                            Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            Nikki Sixx bought a house not too far away from me. This place appeals to outdoors people. I found it odd he would move here because he doesn’t strike me as a skiing, mountain climbing, back packing, fly fishing type guy.

                            The Crue had good songs. I never bought one album. It was good background music. I saw them at the US Festival. I thought they were a bit of a KISS rip off. They had a bit of makeup on and Sixx was in platform shoes.
                            I liked 'em when they first broke big in 1984.

                            Then again, I was 13/14 years old. Back then, as you say, a lot of us thought they were ripping KISS off a bit.

                            They got lame quick, though. Going 'glam' with that Theater Of Pain record and that lame Home Sweet Home tune...I mean, their image prior was a bit of a joke but at least the music was a bit tougher on the first two records. Ironically, while they got bigger post-Shout, overall I liked their music less and less the longer they stuck around.

                            I did think the SOLA track was a good return to form, or at least the Motley sound I had liked circa 1984.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

                            Comment

                            • Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004
                              • 11984

                              #74
                              Originally posted by Rikk
                              You were at the US Festival??

                              I know people love to talk about sloppy VH were at the US Festival...but I have a pretty decent Blu-Ray of it that I put together. It's not polished...but it's still a fun VH gig...even if Dave (and I suspect one or two of the other guys) is totally drunk.
                              That was part of the CVH legend, though: a record setting one-off appearance in terms of the concert fee garnered, yet Van Halen shows up a bit more than half in the bag anyway.

                              For years, all I'd seen of that performance was the edited version that aired on Showtime (or Cinemax, or whichever channel aired it). Probably wasn't until the mid-1990s when I stumbled across a VHS bootleg of the entire show for sale in a Mom n' Pop record store that I saw and heard the entire set unedited. A bit rough with some mistakes to be sure (not just Dave, either; Ed and Al played some bum notes here and there), but I'd wager had I been there drunk and stoned none of that would have bothered me in the least.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

                              Comment

                              • Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

                                • Oct 2003
                                • 35269

                                #75
                                The thing that's been bugging me about this is the more I think about it I don't really understand Nikki Sixx miming. Why would you do that, would it not just make it less fun for him? Usually the miming thing is because you can't do something live you could do in the studio but surely that's not an issue with Motley Crue bass lines?

                                The only thing I can think of is that he is having trouble remembering the songs.

                                Comment

                                Working...